• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I really like the exploration segments of the castle in Lords of Shadow 2. Both of those games do 3D castles really well and nail the feeling and sheer scale you'd expect. The factory/industrial setting of the present day levels I'm not liking so much.

Just noticed the Steam Beta got rid of the round corners and have rainbow backgrounds:

Upon seeing your screenshot I was erring on the ewwww side of things but they look ok in the flesh. Still need to be able to adjust the gutter/margins between tiles manually though. Yeah I know, Valve time!

I really hate my internet. One minute I'll be playing an online game fine and the next...

Nooooooooooo!!! Last time I posted a ping/speed test there was about 3 pages of everyone doing the same afterwards.

In relegation to your post though I know what you mean as the infrastructure by me is shocking and my latency drops sometimes to silly levels that I get even basic web pages failing to respond in time. Though due to the stupid council here looks like my area wasn't selected for a nice big fat grant to improve the quality of service due to only a poxy 600 or less people are connected to the local exchange.

Shadownet

Banned
Since no one answered you on this, I'll attempt. I've never actually played fantasy football, but I think the gist is that you build a team based on real players from across the league, and then how well your "team" does is based on how well each of your players performed in their respective games. It's all stats and numbers.

Also, Shadownet is referring to American Football. And I know European folk like to have a laugh about the whole "hand egg" thing but you'll have to blame the Brits for originally referring to Rugby as a style of football. Americans just dropped the "rugby" label since that didn't mean anything to us, and it was the only style of Football that took off over here.

Deitus pretty much got it down. That's the basic of American Fantast Football. You pick real life players to be on your team. Then their individual performance get combined that week. And the best team win. Keep going till you reach playoff.

Temple of Elemental Evil doesn't get enough love (though, i don't believe there's a Steam version, just the original and the GOG update...which is the way to go).
I actually already have the game, both GOG and boxed version. I've heard the battle system is pretty much the only good thing about it. I'll probably play it in the future, but I'm more interested in other games at the moment.

Have you played Neverwinter Nights 2 or Baldur's Gate 2 yet?
Not yet. Regarding D&D titles I'll probably stick to the Infinity Engine games for now. Also I've heard NWN1 is kinda bad and the sequel isn't much better, though I should play Mask of the Betrayer.

For Deus Ex install Deus Ex exe fix and the DX10 renderer

Both GOG and Steam versions are the GOTY edition.

Thanks. Should I also install this one?

https://code.google.com/p/deusexv2/

Hugstable

Banned
I have so much trouble getting into the new Castlevania games, I still can't even force myself to truly play Lords of Shadow. I like the Classicvania challenge even more than I will like the Metroidvanias (only good ones are SoTN, Circle of the Moon, AOS and OOE... wait that's most of them -____-), and seeing everyone's responses to Lords of Shadow back when it came out made me afraid to try the game because I really have a huge love for the Castlevania series. I still try to complete Castlevania 3 at least once a year for shits and giggles, and it's still awesome cause of multiple paths.

So in other words, are the Lords of Shadows games really as bad as people made it out to be back when they released? I'm always scared of hating a Castlevania game, so I've never really played them. If they are actually somewhat decent I might be willing to fit it somewhere in all my Souls backlog (yes I'm now switching between all 3 games, NG+ in Demon's and Dark and am like 8 hours into DS2).

Speaking of Dark Souls 2, Those "things" you fight in No Man's Wharf.... #NOPE

Deadbeat

Banned
Hand egg ball you mean?
Except foot ball was called that because its played on foot, not because you are using your feet.

edit: It was to distinguish it from polo which was on horse. I guess its too hard to research the history of a sport for the 'hand egg' shitters.

Tizoc

So in other words, are the Lords of Shadows games really as bad as people made it out to be back when they released? I'm always scared of hating a Castlevania game, so I've never really played them. If they are actually somewhat decent I might be willing to fit it somewhere in all my Souls backlog (yes I'm now switching between all 3 games, NG+ in Demon's and Dark and am like 8 hours into DS2).

In the end it depends on the player. LoS1's combat is based on God of War, MoF is like a 2D GoW game but with more focus on platforming and exploration.

Deitus

I have so much trouble getting into the new Castlevania games, I still can't even force myself to truly play Lords of Shadow. I like the Classicvania challenge even more than I will like the Metroidvanias (only good ones are SoTN, Circle of the Moon, AOS and OOE... wait that's most of them -____-), and seeing everyone's responses to Lords of Shadow back when it came out made me afraid to try the game because I really have a huge love for the Castlevania series. I still try to complete Castlevania 3 at least once a year for shits and giggles, and it's still awesome cause of multiple paths.

Lords of Shadow is basically a God of War clone. I could never get into God of War, so I never had high hopes for LoS, but I gave it a try anyway because everyone told me how good it was. I got through the first chapter, and gave up. The QTE boss fight was the final straw, but I wasn't enjoying myself in the rest of that game up until that point. Supposedly it gets good around chapter 3, but I haven't been able to summon the will to play it again when I'm only even halfway to the "good part".

The 3DS game was their attempt to appease the fans of the Metroid style games, but the level design was poor, and for some dumb reason they just straight up used the LoS combat system, but in a 2D platformer, so every enemy is just a huge damage sponge.

Don't know much about LoS2 though, but I haven't heard good things, even from fans.

A tip about those guys,
they fear light

Parsnip

LoS series fine. Your mileage will vary greatly depending on your preferences of course. For me personally they feel a lot like what I remember from the first God of War, splice in a little bit of Shadow of Colossus with the titan battles, light and dark magic combat modifiers, and a dumb story. I never really could get into God of War, but enjoy LoS quite a bit.

LoS2 is a continuation of that in pretty much every way.

Mirror of Fate is surprisingly good once it was broken free from its handheld framerates. The combat doesn't always work as well as you'd hope, and the level design leaves a lot to be desired, but it's fine for what it was. Which is a 2D LoS game disguised as a IGAvania.

Elija2

In relegation to your post though I know what you mean as the infrastructure by me is shocking and my latency drops sometimes to silly levels that I get even basic web pages failing to respond in time. Though due to the stupid council here looks like my area wasn't selected for a nice big fat grant to improve the quality of service due to only a poxy 600 or less people are connected to the local exchange.

Yeah, I'm currently at my parents' house and their internet is shit. It's super-slow and it shits the bed all the time. I didn't realize how bad it was until I returned from school and compared it to the internet back at the room I'm renting. But when I go back to school I'll be swamped with school work and won't be able to play online games all the time!

Awww, yeah! 100%'d Sleeping Doggies.
SP100_zps49bca847.jpg

Feels good to clear a game instead of idling at it for a change. The DLC stories were ok but the main line was stronger. All in all, really liked the whole East Asia cop movie style. And this game, along with Spec Ops The Line, must have the highest amount of the F word I heard in a while, in both Chinese and English. Not even RE4 had this amount of Spanish cursing.

Started L.A. Noire and... and I think that was a bad idea. No, don't get me wrong, the animations of the characters are freaking awesome, I love me some classy suits and hats but I went from full smooth and silky 1080p/60fps Hong Kong party with neon lights and cars with chainguns to... whatever L.A. Noire is running at. It doesn't even feel 30fps, it feels even less. Guess I need to go back to Dark Souls 1 to see how bad it was. Seriously, L.A. and Sleeping Dogs are of the same genre and whoever can't tell the difference between frame rates after playing one and the other is bloody insane.

Is there any hope or fix for L.A. Noire? I know cutscenes and interrogations use the frames for the facial animations but at least in the open world... I can't even drive without crashing with everything, that's how janky, unstable and horrid the frame rate is!

Hugstable

Banned
Streaming some Dark Souls 2 right now if anyone wants to watch, don't have a mic working right now sadly, but hey you guys can come watch me fail! Also possible area spoilers abound for those who haven't played it, even though I'm still pretty early in the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/huguustable

aScaris

So I just finished Max Payne 3 and before I go to bed now I had to praise this game somewhere :D MP3 really caught me off guard with it's quality gameplay, graphics (still wows me 2 years after release) and narrative.

The story, while being quite trashy, was told in a "cinematic" way that really catches your attention. Sure, it is not the great deep narrative, but come on... it's Max f****in Payne! All he has to do is being a cool action hero and kill bad guys while being broken by fate, alcohol and basically the whole world around him.

Gameplay wise, the levels are very linear, but at the same time stuffed with so much detail that I didn't really care. All those little things like blackboards with individual notes, family pictures on the desks of people etc. made the world feel kinda real. Also the placement of bonus informations and collectibles within the levels is done very well. It makes you explore every last inch of the levels without making it feel like a grind. The gunplay was as great as expected. I started playing the game with a 360 pad and didn't enjoy it a lot. Later on however, I switched to KB/M and the fun began. Dishing out headshots while flying though the air in bullettime never gets old :D

Another great point about the game was its difficulty. I played on medium and even then a couple of bullets can kill you quite easy when you are not careful. On the other hand I never got stuck in the game, because it adjusted the difficulty basically on the fly. After your first death you will get a little health back, then you will get some more ammo and finally painkillers get added. I think this is a great way of helping the player to get along without taking away the feeling of accomplishment, because you get exactly as much help as you need to make it though the situation.

TL;DR: Max Payne 3 is a great game you should play!

Man two other thing that are irking in Skyrim, the NPC's dialogues are too repetitive and the stupidity of your followers, if I'm attacking the damn enemy from far with a ranged weapon they shouldn't think it's a good idea to rush inside the bandits fort. /facepalm

I'm downloading two mods to at least make these things less annoying Ultimate Follower Overhaul and Interesting NPCs.

Also I'm just catching with past week gaming news and just I'm wondering what is wrong with these people.

Continuing from my previous post, I just tried Dark Souls and, damn, the 30fps is jarring coming from Dark Souls 2. However, it's nowhere near as janky and terrible as L.A. Noire, in fact, I could live with it given how good the game is.

So, once again, I hope someone has a tool or a mod or something to make L.A. Noire 60fps during open world sections... Thanks in advance.

I think I'll start Whispering Willows next. I'm finding it quite intriguing.

Annubis

Continuing from my previous post, I just tried Dark Souls and, damn, the 30fps is jarring coming from Dark Souls 2. However, it's nowhere near as janky and terrible as L.A. Noire, in fact, I could live with it given how good the game is.

So, once again, I hope someone has a tool or a mod or something to make L.A. Noire 60fps during open world sections... Thanks in advance.

I think I'll start Whispering Willows next. I'm finding it quite intriguing.

Did you install DSfix?
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

MayMay

Banned
Wait, I just read that we get a localized Corpse Party on PC in 2014 -- :O

Is that coming to Steam? I guess so, they also released TitS on Steam.. How did I not notice this.

StAidan

header_292x136.jpg

Mini-review: I beat Escape Goat. It’s a pretty short experience (2 hours for me, but there’s an achievement for a 45-minute run, so it can certainly be shorter).

I enjoyed the game well enough. The graphics and sound are a fitting, pretty standard retro style, and the game mechanics are well-designed.

Though it’s probably best characterized as a puzzle platformer, I found Escape Goat’s puzzling aspects to be pretty tame. In all but the last group of rooms, each puzzle tended to have a pretty obvious/straightforward solution. Let’s just say that if we were to build a difficulty scale for these types of games, Fire N’ Ice might be near the top, while this game would come close to defining the bottom end. Of course, it’s still a fun game, so I won’t concern myself too much with that.

Verdict: It’s worth playing, but I probably won’t go back for the speedrun achievement (I hate speedruns in puzzle games), nor do I feel compelled to do the extra challenge levels that unlocked after the end of the game. I'll most likely pick up the sequel on sale.

Some impressions for Lilly Looking Through:

The graphics: Great style. The characters are cute and expressive with great animations. The children move and act childlike, which is nice to see. Environments have good detail. I didn't check if there was a colour-blindness mode, but I'm not colour blind and even I had trouble distinguishing between orange and red in certain colour puzzles. So be aware of that.

The music and sound: A few simple, lilting melodies. A nice background touch. Don't expect lots of variety. No complaints about the sound, everything sounded as you'd expect. The character voices were appropriate (and checking the credits, the brother and sister's voice actors had the same last name, so maybe they were real siblings,) but there was very little dialogue to be had. Not that it necessarily needed it.

The story: Also minimal. It's "save your little brother." But since you don't interact with too many other characters (except a few animals) it's just you vs. both environments.

The gameplay and length: Point. Click. Use goggles to alternate between the past and future. (Move an acorn somewhere, use your goggles, get a tree.) Several mechanism puzzles are trial-and-error but there aren't any fail states so feel free to experiment. There are only ten screens to go through. I finished it in two hours. Keep in mind that the heavy focus on animation means characters move SLOWLY and you have to wait for them to finish before you can do something else (with a few exceptions. If you see the glasses button enabled during an animation, PRESS IT.) So even with the slow walking, it's still only two hours. Not a lot to do, no replay value, and it ends on a cliffhanger. I checked the kickstarter to see if they asked for backing for an episodic series. I was shocked to find that not only had they not, but this game met the stretch goal to be made "a little bit longer." Cripes, it's too short as is and the original intent was to make it even shorter. Still, for 33,000 bucks it's a noble effort.

The verdict: it's cute, it's fun, and it's absolutely not worth the ten dollar asking price for the length. Wait for a sale, then get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom