• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It's already two pages thick it ends at 11:30 EST..... Yeah more thought should have got into it rather than ribbing a console.

I remember when we did paint drawings to win stuff before modbot... that was fun/weird.

Had quite a lot of fun Dino Crisis drawings when I gave away multiple Enslaved/Inversion packs.
That was a fun time.

Annubis

Free motherboard lol

oh and some DDR3 8GB ram as well

Eh, I'm fine with my Sabertooth X79.

But man does the Z87 look sexy:
line.jpg

Panda Rin

are there any detailed graphs on how much the steam population has grown over the past few years and months?

basically a comprehensive steam statistics website or something.

Appointment with FEAR looks great, but how interactive is it?

Not sure, that's one I haven't played. I've actually only played one of their FF translations, but I used to play the actual books a long time ago. If Appointment is along the same lines, they're basically choose your own adventure novels with RPG elements; stats, combat and dice rolls. They're quite interactive but short, because you often restart the whole thing so you end up rushing through the same content to get to where you ended up last time and try a different choice.

That is obviously pretty tedious, so the Android versions of the novels feature a difficulty/play setting where you can undo your last choice and try again.

Turfster

I only saw videos of the first one but I have to say, it looks beautiful and more like God of War than Castlevania. I mean, is the story bad or the gameplay? If they made a sequel, people gotta have liked the first one, right?

It's very pretty.
It's also very boring and samey.
5 seconds of rote platforming followed by a minute of shit "combat" that's more a QTE than anything else.
Rinse, repeat.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You know, from seeing Cheesecake's ARMA 3 screenshots, I got pretty interested in the game. Sounds really interesting, two buddies sitting in a jet, one piloting the other on the guns, both working in concert hundreds of meters above the ground taking out the enemy while talking to each other.

It really is quite special, the milsim part is entertaining in its own right but the sheer amount of stuff you can do in the sandbox lends itself to quite a lot of replayability. We've got our own server we use, a semi-steady group of 4-10 people and a bunch of missions set up for smaller squad play.

Zeus/MCC adds an additional layer, letting one player essentially DM a military themed D&D session by setting up encounters, layouts, mission objectives, etc. We've did a few civilian-based hand made missions lately, using a variety of weapon mods we've installed to give our loadouts a more impoverished, guerrilla selection. One was a holdout style mission where we had to protect our town from invading forces using low-caliber handguns and procure higher arms from the fallen. We did another, dubbed "The Pope of Dope", in which we were a gang picking up and delivering dope for our cartel, but we had a traitor in the midst.

Between stuff like that, forcing ourselves into less-than-optimal fighting conditions (night, heavy storms, fog) and the fact that dedicated modders have moved most of the best maps from Arma 2 into the game, there's almost too much for us to do. That's both terrifying and completely awesome.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

PGP3OVL.png
Defenders Quest (GOG) -- MB-E0B9213824879EE3 - Taken by Sammichu

Another great point about the game was its difficulty. I played on medium and even then a couple of bullets can kill you quite easy when you are not careful. On the other hand I never got stuck in the game, because it adjusted the difficulty basically on the fly. After your first death you will get a little health back, then you will get some more ammo and finally painkillers get added. I think this is a great way of helping the player to get along without taking away the feeling of accomplishment, because you get exactly as much help as you need to make it though the situation.

I didn't know this, but yea, it does sound like a pretty good system of helping a player without outright handholding.

It's very pretty.
It's also very boring and samey.
5 seconds of rote platforming followed by a minute of shit "combat" that's more a QTE than anything else.
Rinse, repeat.
Just one question. Did you like God of War 3? And how does it compare to that? I only played that, so that would be a good comparison point. It also has loads of QTE but I found them ok.
--
It really is quite special, the milsim part is entertaining in its own right but the sheer amount of stuff you can do in the sandbox lends itself to quite a lot of replayability. [...]
Wow, that sounds even better than what I was imagining. Man I need some good gameplay videos/streamers/youtubers. My imagination is blank.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wow, that sounds even better than what I was imagining. Man I need some good gameplay videos/streamers/youtubers. My imagination is blank.

There is certainly some half baked systems for sure - you pretty much need the JSRS sound mod because the in game audio is disappointing and misleadingly poor for directional cues. There's no jumping, instead there's a button you can use to "step over" some objects or use it to jerk yourself out of terrain you fell into or got stuck in. Animations are a little too canned. The menus are still a little obtuse. But still, once you can get yourself acquainted with everything and have a nice group to play with it really is a hell of a game.

I can confirm Widescreen fixer fixed L.A. Noire. 60fps enabled, some janky moments here and there but at least it's playable now! This one is a craport (aka, crappy port)... Maybe not as bad as Deadly Premonition and others though.

But, yay, another problem solved!

StAidan

The main game is quite easy and only a few levels can be done in a shorter/different way. The extra levels on the other hand are hard and they are more about platforming challenges than puzzles solving.

Unless you are into games like Super Meat Boy I wouldn't recommend it to you. It took me 25 hours to finish.

Hmm, interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that. I do like Super Meat Boy but haven't been into it enough to actually play it to completion. And personally I don't feel that Escape Goat's controls were really conducive to hardcore platforming challenges, so I guess that tidbit reinforces my decision to go ahead and call it done.

Thanks.

Hanzou

I've been playing it for a few days and can absolutely recommend it. If you've got $10 for the GOTY, it's totally worth that (even with me having paid for it twice it's still worth it).
That may be true UT I also have so damn many games in my backlog. Probably can't justify it until next year.

KarmaCow

Ugh nothing makes me angrier in games than laggy Dark Souls PVP. Getting poked by a parrying dagger when I'm half way across the room to the left of the person, it's just easier to just drop the controller to get the bullshit over with.

Wow, so many people are "entering" the mobo giveaway. With my luck, guess this'll be a zonk for me.
Do those people even know how much is being given away in this thread? It seems like there is a usual-suspects-clientel here. But so many unknown peeps in the other thread.

Turfster

Just one question. Did you like God of War 3? And how does it compare to that? I only played that, so that would be a good comparison point. It also has loads of QTE but I found them ok.

I finished the first 2, but gave up somewhere in the third.
I don't even remember where I got in it.
It was okay, but it was kinda eh.

Random post and I know I'm super LTTP, but the battle mechanics in Child of Light are super neat. I only played about 90 minutes or so and spent a lot of that time just exploring the first area, but I love the dynamic spins on the old ATB system, great risk/reward system with casting time and interrupts and the selective slowing of enemies and healing of your party with igniculus. The gorgeous hand drawn art is just icing on the cake. I've also heard some complain about the cheesy rhyming couplet dialogue, but I've found it to be actually quite endearing. In short, I've fallen for this game hook line and sinker.

Lomax

Will Groupees' Be Mine 14 have any more games added to it other than the Bonus/milestone games?

With Groupees one really never knows for sure, but it seems somewhat likely one of the last two unrevealed bonuses will be a game. Since they aren't doing dollars days they may do some sort of other last minute special or bonus, especially since it doesn't seem to be selling very well.

Uzzy

Fixed-wing CAS is even worse, imo. I can at least put up with some of the choppers.

It gets worse? I think I'll stick to being in the poor bloody infantry for now then.

You know, from seeing Cheesecake's ARMA 3 screenshots, I got pretty interested in the game. Sounds really interesting, two buddies sitting in a jet, one piloting the other on the guns, both working in concert hundreds of meters above the ground taking out the enemy while talking to each other.

It really is a fantastic game. Seeing some of the servers where entire platoons worth of players join together and perform missions make me really excited.

bakeray

anyone in the Steam FF league friend me on Steam so we can make a group chat, going to try using ESPN instead of fleaflicker.

user name is bak3ray

Woah, I just found out about the huge hack attack which took place today. They even send the FBI a tweet that there is a bomb on a plane where the head of SOE was in. The plane got redirected! They got PSN, XBLIVE some other sites, too.

I mean, I don't want this to get bigger but how safe is Steam? Is steam guard gonna protect me?

Woah, I just found out about the huge hack attack which took place today. They even send the FBI a tweet that there is a bomb on a plane where the head of SOE was in. The plane got redirected! They got PSN, XBLIVE some other sites, too.

I mean, I don't want this to get bigger but how safe is Steam? Is steam guard gonna protect me?

It seems to be a denial of service attack rather than one going after credentials and the likes, so you shouldn't necessarily worry about account security. There has been talk on reddit that some Dota 2 and CSGO server clusters have been misbehaving over the past day or so... it could be related to this. Who knows.

edit - if you play either of those games, maybe avoid ranked matchmaking for a day or two.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Don't worry, every time improve protection.

Annubis

It wasn't a hack, it was a DDOS.
Everything is safe.

cHinzo

Just had some training matches with Shadownet, cHinzo, Paul and other gaffers (these three are the teachers, that's why I mentioned their names). Man, CS:GO really is skill-based. I got slaughtered. Really felt bad for Paul when we were playing two-on-two and we got paired. I really sucked hard.
Afterwards I accidentally got in a comp. match with cechzs I guess. Damn, that was even more brutal. At last I figured out the UI and played casual where I quickly was shouted at and finally being "asked" to uninstall the game :( Talk about a warm welcome. Don't play mp much with foreigners, is every game so hostile? I'll stick to gaf-nights for now I think.

Everyone gotta start somewhere. Just mute those persons when they start to yell. They probably have nothing to say which contributes to winning the game anyway. Not everyone is like this tho. I've met genuinely nice people out there playing competitive.

I started out like a pretty noob at this game (got Gold Nova 1 and then dropped to Silver Elite until I climbed to where I am now), but had the luck to play with four other friends who were also new, so we all just steadily played more games and improved our skills while having fun. If you really want to invest in this game you should take the time to watch some videos to learn about the basics in this game. It's deeper than the usual fps games out there. :p

ArjanN

Everyone gotta start somewhere. Just mute those persons when they start to yell. They probably have nothing to say which contributes to winning the game anyway. I started out like a pretty noob at this game (got Gold Nova 1 and then dropped to Silver Elite until I climbed to where I am now), but had the luck to play with four other friends who were also new, so we all just steadily played more games and improved our skills while having fun. If you really want to invest in this game you should take the time to watch some videos to learn about the basics in this game. It's deeper than the usual fps games out there. :p

Yeah, also, you're much better off switching to Competitive as quickly as possible, Sure, you're more likely to get your butt kicked but you'll learn quicker and people are actually less likely to act like dicks, Casual mode is pretty much a different (and comparatively garbage) game.

Jawmuncher

Hmm I'm wondering what I should play next once I wrap up W101 on WiiU.
Since when playing games I do a rotation through all my systems and PC is up next.
Will probably be Castlevania 2. In the mood for a more cinematic adventure.

Shadownet

Banned
So apparently Fleaflicker (Fantasy Football site) was having major trouble. So we decided to do ESPN instead. the draft have been moved to Thursday night 8:30pm EDT. until further notice. (I doubt it will change since everyone is cool with it.)

I will stream that if nothing else go wrong.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys. Thanks for sticking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom