• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
ohyou.jpg

*kills zky painfully and horribly with help of summoned giant spiders*

I would say I told you so, but then again you never believe me anyway (._.)

you didn't say it hard enough

now i dunno if i'll feel like grinding 100k yen or whatever the upgrade currency in this game is for the fanservice costumes, that's gonna be the real test

i need something to last me until someone makes a no spiders mod for wasteland 2

This is actually a great feature. Also works for uninstalling. very convenient :)
yeah that's a pretty cool one tbh

basic functionality, we're getting there!

Arthea

Jast is literally shooting themselves in the foot.

That's why I'm calling them Just from now on, just short on common sense!
I still haven't bought Steins Gate from them and I'm not budging on this one, until it's on steam, gog and alike.

i think i'm gonna pass on titanfall, even if it's $11

i figure if i've survived this far i might as well just go all teh way

my thoughts exactly, granted it's only $11, but otoh, that's several games on steam I actually might play some day (><)

zkylon

zkylewd

Milamber

It's much better when we get all news posted in this one, not to mention more safe.
Latest VNs news make me think that VNs came to steam to stay. Hopefully sales will be enough to keep this trend going.

We did talk about it in this thread, but "safe" is relative for what followed.

zkylon

zkylewd
my thoughts exactly, granted it's only $11, but otoh, that's several games on steam I actually might play some day (><)
i really really liked the beta tho, i actually really enjoy call of duty multiplayer since it's a lot more unwindy that league of raging and it's a pretty cool game overall

but map packs are a huge turn off for me, i never bother buying them and so i never feel like having a reason to play the game again a few months after i bought it. happened to me with the last cod game i bought and ever since i just do free weekends and that's works for me

and yeah 11 bucks might as well be hotline miami 2 whenever that fucking game gets released

It's much better when we get all news posted in this one, not to mention more safe.
Latest VNs news make me think that VNs came to steam to stay. Hopefully sales will be enough to keep this trend going.

I'm doing my part. Will definitely buy Clannad when it comes out, never got round to playing it previously.

Dr Dogg

The best thing about that 'PSA TF is cheap' thread is that I'm half tempted to get Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Well when the price is right and I can convince a few of my mates to pick it up also. I've still got that Origin Gametime offer to have a dick around with.

I didn't mind Titanfall, well what I played of the beta and free weekend. The player count dropping doesn't sound too good for the longevity of the game though but I didn't have too many issues finding a game when that offer was on a month ago though they were hardly ever full games.

Arthea

The best thing about that 'PSA TF is cheap' thread is that I'm half tempted to get Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Well when the price is right and I can convince a few of my mates to pick it up also. I've still got that Origin Gametime offer to have a dick around with.

I didn't mind Titanfall, well what I played of the beta and free weekend. The player count dropping doesn't sound too good for the longevity of the game though but I didn't have too many issues finding a game when that offer was on a month ago though they were hardly ever full games.
wait a moment, Garden Warfare is cheap there too? How cheap we are talking? It's 30&#8364; for me on Origin.

volvo we are due for another greenlight batch...

overdue even, I think.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
what framerate settings should I use for USF IV ? Smooth, locked or Variable?

Dr Dogg

wait a moment, Garden Warfare is cheap there too? How cheap we are talking? It's 30&#8364; for me on Origin.

Hahaha no sorry i should have clarified. The thread title was something along the lines of 'PSA: Titanfall is the years best multiplayer shooter' and a few posted along the lines of 'that's a funny way to spell Garden Warfare' so it got my interest piqued shall we say and I've had a look through the OTs here and the Giant Bomb QL and if wave survival/Horde mode games are your jam mixed in with some tower defence mechanics (a bit like horde 2.0 for Gears 3) but in the PvZ style of things then it's something to have a serious look at.

Though I'm not fond of playing MP games with randoms so the biggest challenge for me is trying to convince my usual rag tag bunch or miscreants that it's not a game for kiddiewinks.

Arthea

Hahaha no sorry i should have clarified. The thread title was something along the lines of 'PSA: Titanfall is the years best multiplayer shooter' and a few posted along the lines of 'that's a funny way to spell Garden Warfare' so it got my interest piqued shall we say and I've had a look through the OTs here and the Giant Bomb QL and if wave survival/Horde mode games are your jam mixed in with some tower defence mechanics (a bit like border 2.0 for Gears 3) but in the PvZ style of things then it's something to have a serious look at.

Though I'm not fond of playing MP games with randoms so the biggest challenge for me is trying to convince my usual rag tag bunch or miscreants that it's not a game for kiddiewinks.

I'm still sad that they decided to go multi only route. A game looked so fun in E3 announcement trailer, they just had to ruin it!
I'm not a fan of playing with random people too. And GW is for 24 people to team up? ya, sure I can see how that can work nicely...

Steins;Gate with steam cards would case the anime card market to implode and many mushy bananas.

*vividly imagines*
so true (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks to cards and the small profit made from my Freedom Cry spares, MAGIX Music Maker 2014 Premium ended up costing my bank account less than $7 as opposed to $50.

oipic

At three-and-a-bit weeks, this is already the longest gap between batches since last July.

Weaning us (or devs?) off the Greenlight system, or perhaps it's just taking longer now to assemble a moderately worthwhile bunch of titles? Dunno. The last batch appeared to be relatively weak, though, I think.

MetalDeer

Are there any Steam VNs with achievements? How would that even work? Unless it had multiple paths obviously.

Steins;Gate has in-game achievements, and yeah, there's a bunch of different paths and dialog you can get each playthrough.

I believe Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus both have Steam achievements, Shan Gui, as well (and that doesn't even have multiple paths).

Steins;Gate has in-game achievements, and yeah, there's a bunch of different paths and dialog you can get each playthrough.

I believe Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus both have Steam achievements, Shan Gui, as well (and that doesn't even have multiple paths).

Is Shan Gui literally just finish the game for all achievements? Would be pretty lame.

Arthea

Weaning us (or devs?) off the Greenlight system, or perhaps it's just taking longer now to assemble a moderately worthwhile bunch of titles? Dunno. The last batch appeared to be relatively weak, though, I think.

that certainly was the case with latest batch. Thus you might be onto something here, and I wasn't very impressed with latest greenlight offerings, for sure.

Is Shan Gui literally just finish the game for all achievements? Would be pretty lame.

Actually I prefer achievements that are for playing game, not going out of your way to collect them. Multiple choices and endings are "playing the game", though.

JaseC

I don't think the changeover will be gradual -- it wouldn't make much sense to limit the Greenlight releases in the here and now due to an upcoming event.

Saty

Nobody cares about hearing confirmation of Steam release of games that are like 2 years away of any form of release.

Dr Dogg

I'm still sad that they decided to go multi only route. A game looked so fun in E3 announcement trailer, they just had to ruin it!
I'm not a fan of playing with random people too. And GW is for 24 people to team up? ya, sure I can see how that can work nicely...

I guess it's hard to make a game like that with a single player component that doesn't rely on bots and then they're never much good (UT's bots are still stupidly good mind). The worst thing in wave based multi games is when someone drops out and you've got quite far and then are knackered finishing the set of waves due to not having enough players. Even worse when the game in question doesn't allow joining when the session is underway. But hey that just one of the gazillion other modes in this.

PvZ GW does look like it's getting and going to get lots of support and tweaks on a continual basis so fingers crossed it won't have died off by the time I pick it up.

Anyway we don't talk about dirty Origin things in here so back to Steamier stuff (I say as I've been hooked by Diablo III again all weekend).

oipic

I don't think the changeover will be gradual -- it wouldn't make much sense to limit the Greenlight releases in the here and now due to an upcoming event.

Good point, and considered as always.

Wouldn't surprise me, though, if Valve have worked (or will do so) with some hand-picked devs and kept some titles that might have otherwise been Greenlight entries up their sleeves - so there's some critical mass and perhaps some more noteworthy titles to hit the store when the switch is flicked, rather than simply the dregs of what didn't make it into the most recent Greenlight batches.

Agreed, but surely they would at least shut down the Greenlight Submission Fee or at least give a heads up before the flip of the switch happens, so that devs don't get burned.

Arthea

I guess it's hard to make a game like that with a single player component that doesn't rely on bots and then they're never much good (UT's bots are still stupidly good mind). The worst thing in wave based multi games is when someone drops out and you've got quite far and then are knackered finishing the set of waves due to not having enough players. Even worse when the game in question doesn't allow joining when the session is underway.

PvZ GW does look like it's getting and going to get lots of support and tweaks on a continual basis so fingers crossed it won't have died off by the time I pick it up.

Anyway we don't talk about dirty Origin things in here so back to Steamier stuff (I say as I've been hooked by Diablo III again all weekend).

this talk reminded me of Puzzle Pirates, which is a steam game, but I used to play it years ago not on steam. We needed something like 40-60 people for one ship for a raid. After hours of waiting for this number of people to join, you can easily lose (a ship too) and have good chances being crippled in the process (><) Talk about harsh reality. Wars were fun though, even if pain to populate and win. And as ships are under paywall and too many people needed for any action, I stopped playing it, inspite of it being really fun.

but shouldn't they announce closure of greenlight way in advance? You know, for people stopping submitting they games and paying a fee?

JaseC

Agreed, but surely they would at least shut down the Greenlight Submission Fee or at least give a heads up before the flip of the switch happens, so that devs don't get burned.

The SGSF will likely remain and just be renamed accordingly. I don't see Valve allowing people to publish games on Steam for free simply because, as we saw with Greenlight initially, people are stupid. ;) Even with the $80~$100 barrier (depending on the region you're purchasing from), joke submissions still seep through.

Good point, and considered as always.

Wouldn't surprise me, though, if Valve have worked (or will do so) with some hand-picked devs and kept some titles that might have otherwise been Greenlight entries up their sleeves - so there's some critical mass and perhaps some more noteworthy titles to hit the store when the switch is flicked, rather than simply the dregs of what didn't make it into the most recent Greenlight batches.

Maybe that's why Apotheon seems to be taking forever. :p

Chariot

Actually I prefer achievements that are for playing game, not going out of your way to collect them. Multiple choices and endings are "playing the game", though.
I am not an archievement hunter, but I think gettimg archievments for playing the game and especially for just starting the game are stupid. It should be something special to get them, not simple game progress. Let us make stupid things, motivate us to do what we wouldn't do normaly: give us additional game experience.

AHA-Lambda

K Steamgaf OT talk (sorry), travelling to Essex today for a interview tomorrow morning (huge pain in the ass to get to from Glasgow)

Wish me luck!

Arthea

I am not an archievement hunter, but I think gettimg archievments for playing the game and especially for just starting the game are stupid. It should be something special to get them, not simple game progress. Let us make stupid things, motivate us to do what we wouldn't do normaly: give us additional game experience.

you think that way exactly because you don't bother with achievements! Imagine playing 100 hour game and going out of your way to do stupid things for another 100 hours just for achievements. Imagined? exactly! Playing a game thoroughly should grand you achievements, not dying 500 times on purpose for one!

edited: I loathe FFX HD achievements, everybody should try to platinum that, not to have any stupid ideas what achievements should be (><)

Sendou

you think that way exactly because you don't bother with achievements! Imagine playing 100 hour game and going out of your way to do stupid things for another 100 hours just for achievements. Imagined? exactly! Playing a game thoroughly should grand you achievements, not dying 500 times on purpose for one!

Sadly good achievement design seems to something fundamentally incomprehensible to many devs. I do like when achievements make me do crazy things in games but there's a reason to everything. Grinding is never fun.

That said some games have nothing special you can do and I think they still should have achievements just for progressing.

K Steamgaf OT talk (sorry), travelling to Essex today for a interview tomorrow morning (huge pain in the ass to get to from Glasgow)

Wish me luck!

Oh, man. You're from Scotland? ScotGAF represent! Good luck, though bud.

edited: I loathe FFX HD achievements, everybody should try to platinum that, not to have any stupid ideas what achievements should be (><)

I think he means more things that have you put a little bit of effort in or think outside the box a little. Things like performing a freeflow combo in Batman: AA using all the combo moves, stuff like that.

Dr Dogg

this talk reminded me of Puzzle Pirates, which is a steam game, but I used to play it years ago not on steam. We needed something like 40-60 people for one ship for a raid. After hours of waiting for this number of people to join, you can easily lose (a ship too) and have good chances being crippled in the process (><) Talk about harsh reality. Wars were fun though, even if pain to populate and win. And as ships are under paywall and too many people needed for any action, I stopped playing it, inspite of it being really fun.

I never heard of Puzzle Pirates until it came to Steam and I was a little curious why an essentially f2p game was coming over (oh the days before they were common) but quite liked what I played. But yeah some of thing her level play required a good and committed player base. Sadly I didn't give it much of a look in but it seemed a nice twist on the genre. Then again I still quite like Puzzle Quest and the Castlevania SotN spinoff variant.

Wish me luck!

After many years of having to endure the Bristol to Newcastle nightmare train journey I can empathise. Good luck!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
About to take a month-long trip (actually three trips one after the other) to PAX Prime, Europe, and Africa starting in just a couple days. Just realized one of the bigger concerns on my mind was if bundles/Steam prices would be more expensive while I'm over there.

About to take a month-long trip (actually three trips one after the other) to PAX Prime, Europe, and Africa starting in just a couple days. Just realized one of the bigger concerns on my mind was if bundles/Steam prices would be more expensive while I'm over there.

Oh, they will. You should be concerned.

Silly question, but is there a site or something where you can check which retail games activate on steam? I have some coupons for retail games, but I'd prefer to buy games that I can add to my steam account :p

AHA-Lambda

Good luck :) I have an interview too tomorrow but it's only 10 minutes walk from here.

Good Luck! May god and the queen bless your journey.

Oh, man. You're from Scotland? ScotGAF represent! Good luck, though bud.

After many years of having to endure the Bristol to Newcastle nightmare train journey I can empathise. Good luck!

Thanks guys :D
And yeah it's a nightmare of a journey, basically my whole Monday is gone for tomorrow :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom