• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discoverability has really improved on Steam thanks to tags. Now if they can just make it a bit more fluid to browse lots of games in each tag, quickly they'll be onto something. Also some sort of trending tags feature might be helpful. I've been in a bit of a rut about what to play lately and have been looking for a new game.

Still a ways to go.

Around this time, 10 years ago, valve suckered me into preordering Half Life 2 through their bloated, CPU-cycle chewing, completely unnecessary shitty piece of software known as Steam. They sweeten the pot a bit by granting me full access to the entire Half Life 1 series of games as well as beta access to Counter Strike Source, their first official game to support the revolutionary Source engine.

Still, no one else in the industry was forcing their software down our throats like this, and the idea that we would need to not only activate our single player game with an online service but also be required to use that same online service to play it was met with all of the sound and fury that the beasts over at gamefaqs could muster. Oh, and the hell that was activating HL2 on launch, with most folks having to wait more than 24 hours to finally play a game they had waited over half a decade for.

And here we are, 10 years later. When people look back at HL2 in the upcoming months, i really hope they go deeper into it and talk about steam, pc gaming, digital downloads, and the video games market as a whole. Because HL2's release is a watershed historical moment for all of gaming, and many of the things that are taken for granted in today's market have their origins in decisions that, had Valve tried to pull that stuff in today's social media xbone 180 climate, could've easily been aborted and disowned due to the possible backlash that would've come with them.

Kinda miss those times, really, and i can't wait to read about them come november.

Edit: well shit, that's a giveaway if i ever saw one.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY CRAPPARONI

I'm entering for three of those

Bundle junk.

tumblr_inline_msrv5cvtf81qduv3x.gif

Finally beat the first Dark Souls 2 dlc. Including the trio of jerks in the cave of the dead.

Perfect timing for the new hotness come tomorrow.

I've also all but given up on Ancient Dragon but I do want to take down Vendrick for some ridiculous reason. I've got a working strategy going it's just a matter of mastering the timing of the rolls.

What was your strategy for Sinh? I, too, decided to give up on the Ancient Dragon after trying so many times that the path there isn't spawning anymore.

Vendrick I had less trouble with. It goes exactly how you say, mastering the timing. Even then, something will happen and you wipe. But that one time clicks eventually.

Zafir

Man, where do you buy the bundles that contain that, lol! I've been buying the wrong ones obviously.

Epic giveaway. ^^

Terra_Ex

Because there was some recent talk about account security and password managers I'd like to mention that today you can get a 1-year premium subscription to LastPass for free. Premium isn't necessary unless you really want some more authentication options and mobile access. The free version is plenty for desktop/laptop use. But mobile access is useful and this might be enough to push some people over who still need it to beef up their account security.

This works for new and existing users. link

edit: and another 6 months here
Thanks for posting this, been on the fence about trying their premium service and this will let me test it out for a good while.

Bundle junk.
Seems we all missed a pretty awesome bundle then :)

Lomax

Still the best emotes:-
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdsmile.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdmeh.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdmad.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdsick.png

I can't belive I wanted one when they're were released. I was even pining after a 3DO because I thought FIFA looked like real life footy. Case in point some kids are stupid.

Well that's certainly more promising that the usual stock "we have no plans at this time" line.

CSD emoticons are glorious, but that's to be expected. The 3DO was a good system with an interesting idea that could have transformed the console landscape for the better, but it just cost far too much for the mass market. I think if a 3DO style system had released with the last generation it might have worked (maybe if Google had tried to enter the console market). The 3DO version of a lot of games was the definitive version though. In some ways the Steam box harkens the 3DO.

Wow.

Around this time, 10 years ago, valve suckered me into preordering Half Life 2 through their bloated, CPU-cycle chewing, completely unnecessary shitty piece of software known as Steam. They sweeten the pot a bit by granting me full access to the entire Half Life 1 series of games as well as beta access to Counter Strike Source, their first official game to support the revolutionary Source engine.

Still, no one else in the industry was forcing their software down our throats like this, and the idea that we would need to not only activate our single player game with an online service but also be required to use that same online service to play it was met with all of the sound and fury that the beasts over at gamefaqs could muster. Oh, and the hell that was activating HL2 on launch, with most folks having to wait more than 24 hours to finally play a game they had waited over half a decade for.

And here we are, 10 years later. When people look back at HL2 in the upcoming months, i really hope they go deeper into it and talk about steam, pc gaming, digital downloads, and the video games market as a whole. Because HL2's release is a watershed historical moment for all of gaming, and many of the things that are taken for granted in today's market have their origins in decisions that, had Valve tried to pull that stuff in today's social media xbone 180 climate, could've easily been aborted and disowned due to the possible backlash that would've come with them.

Kinda miss those times, really, and i can't wait to read about them come november.

Will depend who is going to make the anniversary thread and what kind of OP it will have. If it's going to touch on those things, yeah I can see there being discussions about them. If not, then it's just going to be a "one of the best games of all time" vs "most overrated game of all time" fest.

Oh and "where is HL3?"

Dr Dogg

AssCreed Unity bundle junky hehehehe. I'm sure some will think that :(

Anywho for those of you after Sleepy Dogs Super Ultra Definitive Edition Climax Remix but want a physical release because of the promise of a swanky artbook (that will probably be promo art and tiny in size) then good news as Amazon UK have it up for preorder at the mo for around £20. Current gen console versions are going for more than double so it's not a total kick in the teeth.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Dogs-Definitive-Edition-Limited/dp/B00MTULQT8

As for me? Day 0!

FloatOn

What was your strategy for Sinh? I, too, decided to give up on the Ancient Dragon after trying so many times that the path there isn't spawning anymore.

Vendrick I had less trouble with. It goes exactly how you say, mastering the timing. Even then, something will happen and you wipe. But that one time clicks eventually.

I wussed out on Sinh and summoned some sun bros.

I think I could have done it on my own though as I was the one contributing the most damage and I didn't get hit too bad either. I basically just stayed on his back foot and swung away.

Shantom

AssCreed Unity bundle junky hehehehe. I'm sure some will think that :(

Anywho for those of you after Sleepy Dogs Super Ultra Definitive Edition Climax Remix but want a physical release because of the promise of a swanky artbook (that will probably be promo art and tiny in size) then good news as Amazon UK have it up for preorder at the mo for around £20. Current gen console versions are going for more than double so it's not a total kick in the teeth.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Dogs-Definitive-Edition-Limited/dp/B00MTULQT8

As for me? Day 0!

It's a 28 page artbook. I'm not expecting much :)

Hanzou

Trying to remember now. When steam first launched want there some kind of tiers you could buy hl2 in, like bronze, silver, and gold? I want to say I bought silver and got the entire Hal life catalog and counterstrike but I could be wrong.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
so i heard persona is coming to steam?

pls don't kill me

Giant spiders for everyone :D

Regular one is too flat or too rounded. The boobie strikes the perfect balance for your wrist to be wonderfully situated between the valleys and you only use your pivot to move the mouse.

Tempted to buy one now, just to see what it feels like.

In today's episode of Simulator Games on Steam:

Releases in a little over a week.

It's not just a garbage truck simulator, it's a recycling garbage truck simulator. Fantastic.

I didn't really care for the naval stuff. It wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea. I prefer running from point A to point Z just to catch a stupid piece of paper.

And then waiting for the stupid piece of paper to respawn after you accidentally jump to the wrong part of the level geometry.

Still the best emotes:-
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdsmile.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdmeh.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdmad.png
Cook_Serve_Delicious_Emoticon_csdsick.png

That's not :creepysheep:

It looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom