• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Trying to remember now. When steam first launched want there some kind of tiers you could buy hl2 in, like bronze, silver, and gold? I want to say I bought silver and got the entire Hal life catalog and counterstrike but I could be wrong.
This sounds familiar to me, I think so. I got Gold (I think) for free for buying a Radeon 9800 Pro.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm in.

Trying to remember now. When steam first launched want there some kind of tiers you could buy hl2 in, like bronze, silver, and gold? I want to say I bought silver and got the entire Hal life catalog and counterstrike but I could be wrong.
Yup, I got that package too. I think it also came with day of defeat source, too, but that wasn't released till a bit after hl2. I enjoyed my hours with that game, too, but it also seemed to have made the transition over to source better than CS, which was spilt between source and 1.6.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Edit edit: In addition to Valve's older stuff, the tiers contained:

Bronze = Half-Life 2 and CS: Source
Silver = Half-Life 2, CS/DoD/Half-Life: Source
Gold = Silver + a few physical goodies

Edit: Misremembered. The packs were later split up, with Half-Life 2 having its own bundles and the MP games going into the Source Multiplayer Pack, although there was also a Source Premier Pack that contained the whole lot.

I think Silver had Half Life and Day of Defeat Source in addition to Bronze which had Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source.

I bought the game as a physical disc. I think it only had Half-Life 2 on it.

Bundle junk.

nm87RL8.gif

Zeknurn

Bronze = Half-Life 2 and CS: Source
Gold = Silver + a few physical goodies

Edit: Misremembered.

Silver and Gold also included every previous game from Valve on Steam.

Phinor

That would be my first ever Steam deal. Bought a silver code (were these AMD related?) from a local auction some good 6 months before HL2 was even released. Paid something like 15 euros for the code.

Dr Dogg

CSD emoticons are glorious, but that's to be expected. The 3DO was a good system with an interesting idea that could have transformed the console landscape for the better, but it just cost far too much for the mass market. I think if a 3DO style system had released with the last generation it might have worked (maybe if Google had tried to enter the console market). The 3DO version of a lot of games was the definitive version though. In some ways the Steam box harkens the 3DO.

Oh definitely, the 3DO was meant to be an initiative for a range of hardware manufactures to produce boxes to a set spec. Though those first Panasonic ones were kind of the poster child and at a price of £800 were really out of reach of quite few people. I guess by the time the cheaper options were out the market had chose the PS One and the Saturn moving forward.

It's a 28 page artbook. I'm not expecting much :)

Yeah but I like useless tat :p

Saying that I had a look at a few vids of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and I've got the limited edition of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and they're nice art books in terms of packaging but comparing Tomb Raider's offering to the 260 page full fat art book I've got it's like me giving Usain Bolt a race.

Amzin

On the topic of Steams early days... I refused to use Steam except when absolutely required for forever. I hated everything about it early on: it was slower, had fewer features, and was uglier than the multiplayer game finders I'd been using. The store part of Steam didn't even exist to me for years because I had not much income for most of those early days.

Now... now I can't imagine not having Steam. They certainly improved a lot those first few years. I definitely criticize their current apparent stagnation on that front, but here's hoping the improvements will keep slipping in.

Bundle junk.
Man, that is really awesomely generous of you. That must have cost you quite the sum. Unbelievable games here.
Hope I'll get Bioshock Infinite or Dark Souls.
--
Off-Topic
So, I just hit the brick wall of reality today when I had a talk with my bro regarding game purchases. I have no job and no clue how to get one I can do - can't leave the house, so online would be the only choice. I am a burden on my bro, he loves me, I love him though. He really is super understanding and my best friend. He's really nice, super smart and always helpful.
I haven't played games in a long time, actually had the worst two-and-a-half years behind me. Never did I have so much heavy and "deep" depression and anxiety. After countless horrible meds I gladly got one which works well and after a couple months I felt somewhat happy/normal again. I started gaf at that time and it has been since wonderful. Met many nice people I hope I'll stay in contact with for a long time.
My brother was also very happy to see me get better and he practically forced me to buy games and have some fun. I lost control somehow though, ha and now it's time to take a break from buying. Can't blame anyone but me. I have a huge library. I'll miss the excitement of sniping great deals from bundles or international traders though. That was fun.
Besides buying for me though I also built a very small cache of gift games; some great, some less. Even after so much time here I am still constantly amazed how nice and helpful steam-gaf is. That's why I'll make a small giveaway with some games, bundle codes; what I have actually. Expect nothing major though, I am not nbnt, sub or frost. You won't even notice anything special about it, ha. But it's gonna be my thank you for the great time and great people I found here.

MetalDeer

Is Deus Ex: human revolution worth playing?

One of the last longer games on my backlog..

If you like stealth games, definitely. Probably my favorite stealth game to come out in the past few years, really. There's a lot of different paths you can take, lethal/non-lethal options, and different dialog options during certain scenes, and if you want to get that "perfect" playthrough, you'll have to be clever with spending your Praxis points.

Although if you have a huge backlog, maybe not, since the Director's Cut adds a ton of replayability (New game plus, Dev commentary), if you're into that kind of stuff. The game already had a lot of replayability, as is.

Amzin

There are 50 billion different c++/dx builds, so games have to make sure they have the correct one.
Not going to happen.

Something I've noticed lately is that a lot of the games I start seem to not have a first-time startup process. My brother noticed it too a couple of times. Is it just coincidence that the games I/we were playing didn't have all those things or did Steam change the install process slightly?

StAidan

Anyway, to be serious, I wanted to put together a giveaway that would pretty much contain "something for everybody," as the saying goes. Hopefully most everyone will find something to enter for. I tried to run the gamut of genres and playstyles, I think I got it pretty well covered.

Btw, this should be obvious enough by default I guess, but I'm in the U.S. so anything region-restricted (e.g., Assassin's Creed) will be locked accordingly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is AC:Rogue not coming to PC? I didn't play Black Flag, but I heard nothing but good things about the pirate stuff.

It's PS360-excusive for the time being. I'd expect a belated port some time next year, though, considering Liberation received an HD remaster.

Evo X

Really tempted to pick up Assetto Corsa. Anyone here have it? Would pretty much only be picking it up if it has support for Oculus DK2. Otherwise, I'll just wait for Project Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom