• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

I really want to play Divinity but my backlog is do big with rpgs already.
I really want to start baldurs gate first but...

Nice giveaway.
I will get nothing ;.;

On another topic, Big Picture now refuse to let me play Dark Souls 2 after downloading the DLC.
I'm done with this shit.
I will use it again when it'll be reliable, in 2035 at this rate.

StAidan

I finished Half-Life a few months ago and didn't plan to revisit the series until some time next year. But the weak Playfire offerings got the better of me, and I started Half-Life 2.

Man, did this game really look that great in 2004? That was ten years ago, and I'm just kind of blown away at the massive difference between 1 and 2. I didn't play this kind of stuff back then, so maybe I just missed the boat. But I feel like even today Half-Life 2 has aged well enough that it stands up to some modern games.

I finished Half-Life a few months ago and didn't plan to revisit the series until some time next year. But the weak Playfire offerings got the better of me, and I started Half-Life 2.

Man, did this game really look that great in 2004? That was ten years ago, and I'm just kind of blown away at the massive difference between 1 and 2. I didn't play this kind of stuff back then, so maybe I just missed the boat. But I feel like even today Half-Life 2 has aged well enough that it stands up to some modern games.

You can't just start posting in here like nothing happened man.

Evo X

HL2 is incredible.

I started playing it again on the Oculus Rift DK2 last week and am still blown away by it.

That along with the original FEAR are what got me into serious PC gaming.

Amzin

Yea I don't know what it is about HL2 but it seriously holds up stupidly well. I've replayed it several times (once 2 years ago is the most recent) and am never disappointed. I feel like the Episodes are even better slightly with shinier textures.

Edit: Oh year the first FEAR is this way too.

Anteater

Half-Life 2's art direction is fantastic, the lighting looks natural and it never jumped on the whole crazy next gen bloom color filter bandwagon, so I would think it aged better than some of the games early last gen.

holy shit.

Finally beat the first Dark Souls 2 dlc. Including the trio of jerks in the cave of the dead.

Perfect timing for the new hotness come tomorrow.

I've also all but given up on Ancient Dragon but I do want to take down Vendrick for some ridiculous reason. I've got a working strategy going it's just a matter of mastering the timing of the rolls.

Vendrick really isn't that hard if you just stay behind him and just roll a constant direction. Once you get the timing down, he's pretty easy.

Just...don't get hit :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That giveaway is off the tank.

Dave is ok, ETS2 is completely worth it.

StAidan

You can't just start posting in here like nothing happened man.

Just doing my part to get the thread back on topic :)

HL2 is incredible.

I started playing it again on the Oculus Rift DK2 last week and am still blown away by it.

That along with the original FEAR are what got me into serious PC gaming.

Yea I don't know what it is about HL2 but it seriously holds up stupidly well. I've replayed it several times (once 2 years ago is the most recent) and am never disappointed. I feel like the Episodes are even better slightly with shinier textures.

Edit: Oh year the first FEAR is this way too.

OK, that's what I thought. I didn't expect to be amazed by a game this old. I mean, I love playing old games but even I can admit when the wrinkles are starting to show. This game just doesn't appear to have them.

Just doing my part to get the thread back on topic :)

OK, that's what I thought. I didn't expect to be amazed by a game this old. I mean, I love playing old games but even I can admit when the wrinkles are starting to show. This game just doesn't appear to have them.

The gunplay was dated even when it originally came out.

EDIT: nevermind, fear came out later

Chariot

linkfilter

OH GOD! JILL IS STARRING INTO MY SOUL SHE CAN SEE THROUGH THE SCREEN!!

I finished up Guacamelee just last week, and I'll put it out there that this might personally be my favorite Metroidvania type game. I'll break it down point by point, since I'm crappy at writing paragraphs.

Setting: Obviously a matter of personal taste here. But I have a real love for classic bright settings in video games, as well as for lesser used settings. The degree to which I would rather play the game on the top as opposed to the game on the bottom (even assuming that I enjoyed all the rest of the in equal amounts) is hard to overstate.

Biv0XtI.jpg

yW6acJC.jpg

It's colorful, bold, and original. It's a setting that puts a smile on my face, which goes a long way for making me enjoy a little down time with a game.

Difficulty Curve: I'm not claiming that it's that challenging of a game, but I really like how the difficulty went in this game. In particular I like that combat encounters ramped up during the game, but they were still challenging at the start and end to some degree. With games like SoTN I'd often end up breaking the game by the end and becoming way too overpowered with levels and equipment or you'd get some weird difficulty spike at some point that would hold you up for way to long. Guacamelee had encounters and jumping stuff all throughout the game that were not crazy difficult, but they required you to have your head on straight with how you handled them. And the leveling opening up new moves and skills, but it never got to a point with me where my character was way OP and on cruise control.

Fighting Engine: I really liked this. Partially this is having a soft spot for grappling moves in beat-em-up games like Double Dragon II or Streets of Rage. So the wrestling finishing moves here were really fun to me. Secondly, while use move X to beat enemy of color Y is nothing new, it was really well implemented here. I really loved that past the midgame combat encounters were almost like little mini puzzle games. You'd have to check the arena, see what shielded enemies were where, which enemies were in the light and dark world, and figure out the best way to break those shields and defeat the enemies while not getting hit by any of the others. I felt like they rolled out the various concepts (colored shields, light / dark world, new enemy types, timed "bomb" enemies) at a nice rate to gradually make the combat more complex and interesting while still feeling like you were progressing. As a final note the dodge / combo engine was actually pretty dang flexible for a game of this type, lots of cool little combos that you can do with the launchers, rolls, various grapple moves, and basic attacks.

Map / Backtracking: I'm sure some other folks will disagree here. But for me, I really enjoyed that the mainline path is pretty straightforward in Guacamelee without very much backtracking. I enjoy small puzzles of both the logic and jumping types, but I don't like just being straight up lost with not knowing what I'm trying to accomplish next. Others might feel that it's too handholdy, but I really enjoyed keeping the basic path easy and allowing side exploration for bonuses.

And for a final point it has couch co-op. Which is pretty much just the bee's knees for me. Makes any game go up like a full letter grade in my eyes. So yeah, really fun game, and one of my favorites of the last couple of years.

StAidan

The gunplay was dated even when it originally came out.

EDIT: nevermind, fear came out later

I guess I don't pick up on that as much since my previous FPS experience is limited to Half-Life 1 and BioShock 1. I'm really just now starting to try out the genre. No interest in military/war shooters, so that's one reason I never got into it.

Kiru

Thanks for reminding about the playfire rewards. Never played HL2, and now is the right time for it. :)

Deadbeat

Banned
That Deadfall Adventures base price still makes me giggle.

Gamefly is doing a Kalypso Flash Sale week.
Today's "deals" are SHITDARK 75% off and a couple of non-Steam keys, as far as I can see.
I would buy deadfall for 5 bucks. I played the demo a few months ago and it seemed like a decent romp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom