• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find anyone to play Speedrunners with me, so let's have a competition, need practice to match those silver+ leagues.

SpeedRunners Competition

Free games for all 3 competitors if anyone beat me in a full race in an official map.
We'll play as soon as we can and everybody is ready.

1. Dunder
2. Schnitzelfee
3. Shalashaska

Gonna play some ranked or something until we got all spots filled, feel free to watch the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
oh also of note:

I bought this 2 in 1 tablet/laptop thing yesterday (acer switch 10) and I tried out steam in home streaming for the first time. I was incredibly impressed. It seems it's much less about how graphically intensive a game is versus how fast your network is (I played spelunky and sonic racing transformed). I was getting a bit of lag but it seemed pretty playable for the most part. I may fork over a bit more money for faster internet due to this technical wizardry. It seems perfect for when my room mates may want to play something else on the tv on another input channel.

No need to get faster internet, the lag from in-home streaming has to do with your networking equipment (usually your wireless router).

I'm rocking this beast, and bought a wireless-AC adapter for my laptop and it's buttery smooth.

Can't find anyone to play Speedrunners with me, so let's have a competition, need practice to match those silver+ leagues.

SpeedRunners Competition

Free games for all 3 competitors if anyone beat me in a full race in an official map.

1. Dunder

Gonna play some ranked or something until we got all spots filled, feel free to watch the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/
I'm down
to get beaten

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

SpeedRunners Competition

1. Dunder

I'm in :)

Gangxxter

Quick question, is it possible for a publisher to distribute Steam keys where each key is tied to a specific email address? Or is this not possible at all?

oh also of note:

I bought this 2 in 1 tablet/laptop thing yesterday (acer switch 10) and I tried out steam in home streaming for the first time. I was incredibly impressed. It seems it's much less about how graphically intensive a game is versus how fast your network is (I played spelunky and sonic racing transformed). I was getting a bit of lag but it seemed pretty playable for the most part. I may fork over a bit more money for faster internet due to this technical wizardry. It seems perfect for when my room mates may want to play something else on the tv on another input channel.

unless I'm totally high, In-Home Streaming just uses your own home network (i.e. router) and doesn't have much (any) to do with your internet speed. As long as you have a competent router, it should work pretty well. Obviously Wired > Wireless to cut down on lag.

but yeah, in-home streaming is pretty baller. I played Divinity and there was almost negligible lag. Super awesome.

Mono

Steam support still hasn't said anything about my ban, but PayPal confirmed that it's 100% on Valve's end! Hopefully it was just a mistake!

tjohn86

unless I'm totally high, In-Home Streaming just uses your own home network (i.e. router) and doesn't have much (any) to do with your internet speed. As long as you have a competent router, it should work pretty well. Obviously Wired > Wireless to cut down on lag.

It definitely is based on the speed of your LAN not your ISP speed.

StAidan

oh also of note:

Oh yeah. I just bought Intel's Haswell NUC (i3 model) for streaming to my TV. Installed SteamOS on it and suddenly I have a tiny gaming box that's just as good as any console. Most of the time you wouldn't even be able to tell it's streaming. It's a revelation. (Not to mention I can finally sit in the living room in the evenings like my wife always asked me to, lol.)

Quick question, is it possible for a publisher to distribute Steam keys where each key is tied to a specific email address? Or is this not possible at all?

My guess:
They could assuming they have a list of keys and a list of customers/profiles. It depends what they have and how they're setup but it's definitely possible.

Vlad

SpeedRunners Competition

1. Dunder

Yeah, sure, may as well start getting humiliated by people on GAF as opposed to just random strangers.

Of course, the next question is, how do we actually get into the same game?

Dr Dogg

Super TIME Force Ultra is live!

oh also of note:

Inhome streaming is to do with your hardware and local network connection rather than your ISPs service. A decent network switch/wireless access point and decent cabling throughout can do wonders. Though I have no idea what the wireless card is like in an Acer Switch 10 but the few clunky old wireless systems and laptops I've tried weren't that bad on a latency point (about 100-150ms combined latency) which considering what you're trying to do is pretty insane. If you fire up the diagnostic chart you can see the input latency as well as video and game latency whilst in game. Valve are still tweaking things as you can see by the amount of beta client updates but it's been pretty smooth experience for me since day one of the beta.

FloatOn

No need to get faster internet, the lag from in-home streaming has to do with your networking equipment (usually your wireless router).

interesting. I have AT&T Uverse internet and I know I'm probably a horrible human being for paying that company money but I took advantage of a special promotion. I say that to say that their modem is also their wireless router so theoretically I can get a better wireless router and hook up that wireless router to their modem/router hybrid and then hook up my pc to the better wireless router for better performance right?

sorry if I'm talking out of my ass, I'm not as technically inclined as I should be.

madjoki

I don't think it's possible directly, but they could do their own redeem site like Humble Bundle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The art style is similar to The Walking Dead and Sang-Froid.

I kindasorta agree with Sang-Froid, but it's not comic bookesque enough to be likened to TWD, I feel. When I said it's similarly-stylised, I was referring to the eschewing of realism and finer detail in favour of a more abstract "low-fi" presentation, not so much that they're virtually identical to the point that you could put the two alongside one another and not tell them apart -- the two of course have their own unique artistic flourishes that create a distinction.

The_Monk

Managed to grab a little time to play Age of Empires 2 HD, almost 30 hours in so far. Also downloaded a texture pack to make the terrain look better.

Hope everyone is fine. :)

Anteater

Oh yeah walking dead 2 ep5 is tomorrow!

1520yes20soccer20fangus5b.gif

interesting. I have AT&T Uverse internet and I know I'm probably a horrible human being for paying that company money but I took advantage of a special promotion. I say that to say that their modem is also their wireless router so theoretically I can get a better wireless router and hook up that wireless router to their modem/router hybrid and then hook up my pc to the better wireless router for better performance right?

sorry if I'm talking out of my ass, I'm not as technically inclined as I should be.

I actually have the same situation with Comcast and haven't tried it, but theorectially it should work. I'm sure it's possible, but if you are going to use your own router, probably should disable the wifi on the modem.

Otherwise you'll be Connecting two routers to your network. It may have gotten easier, but when I tried years ago, this was not fun.

KarmaCow

that's an ok bundle. Isn't Full Bore a metroidvania? I remember reading some interesting impressions about it when it came out.

More of a puzzle platformer than Metroidvania from what I played but it does have elements of it.

AVGN only if you're a fan.

Was about to ask. I held off on Tiny Barbarian during the sale since the reviews said it was incomplete but the price is right now.

Gangxxter

My guess:
They could assuming they have a list of keys and a list of customers/profiles. It depends what they have and how they're setup but it's definitely possible.
Thanks.
Story is, a few weeks ago the physical boxed copies of Broken Sword 5 arrived for backers and it contains the Steam version of the game on disc. Someone on the Revolution forum claims, he couldn't give the key to his brother, because when he redeemed the key he was only brought to the store page to purchase Broken Sword 5. On the other side the backer could redeem the key just fine on his Steam account because he uses on Steam the same email address as he uses on Kickstarter (with which he backed the game). Now the user claims that all backers received "personal" Steam keys with their physical copies which can only be redeemed with their Kickstarter email address.

I'm curios now if this is really possible or something else went wrong which prevented the brother to redeem the key. Honestly I can't believe Revolution went through this immense logistic hassle to ship thousands of backers their correct box with a specific Steam key.

Any more thoughts on this matter?

Jawmuncher

More of a puzzle platformer than Metroidvania from what I played but it does have elements of it.

Was about to ask. I held off on Tiny Barbarian during the sale since the reviews said it was incomplete but the price is right now.

AVGN is only for the fans. Even fans of platformers I can't see enjoying for 6 also if you watched the avgn review of his whole game it ruins every surprise.

Melchior

I picked up STFU with the soundtrack and I'm wondering where is this soundtrack located. I poked around steam files and couldn't find it. Also the game launches in borderless windowed... so nice.

Humble Modern Retro bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
  • Full Bore
  • Tiny Barbarian DX
TIER 2: 6$
  • NEStalgia
  • Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

AVGN was worth it for me. It was pretty funny (in an immature way) and truly reminded me of the NES games of old. It had a hilarious difficulty about it and I'd recommend it if that kinda thing sounds fun to you.

Anteater

Already? I played the last Episode on August 18th. Time flies.

I wonder if they are getting ready to release both Seasons in physical form on the PS4? Either way, can't wait. The last episode left me really, really curious. Thank you so much for posting this here. :)

Yeah I just beat ep4 last week too. I think there's a retail release for ps4 for both seasons, I remember seeing the covers for them somewhere on gaf

Anyone having issues launching Super Time Force? I downloaded it but when I click play it just doesn't start up.

Edit: Nevermind. A restart fixes all woes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NEStalgia has some controversy surrounding the developer banning critics from the forums and basically telling them to go stuff it. I haven't read enough to be able to take a side, but just know that if that's the kind of thing that shapes your purchase decisions, you might want to investigate and shape your humble purchase accordingly.

Finally finished (for the first time ever!)...

header.jpg

Was it one of the BEST GAMES EVER? I'd argue: Yes it most definitely is. The core mechanics are solid and the world is one of the best or the best around. So vast and interesting it is blowing my mind. I spend 45 hours on it doing nearly all the quests I could and I still know I'd have another 45 to finish the ones I couldn't (or didn't) and yet another 45 to finish them in a different way.

Of course, the vastness brings one downside. The game is bugged to death. There's the restoration project to fix some of those bugs (along including unfinished content!) but I was playing with the newest (new semi-official!) SFALL patch and I still ran into massive problems in places: I couldn't walk through a gate in NCR (had to reinstall and install newer SFALL as I had installed F2 so long ago), couldn't enter Vault 8 AT ALL (thank god for being able to press 5 at the map screen), couldn't enter some towns (half of Den, all of Modoc) with the game crashing, couldn't finish multiple quests and so on and so on.

Still, despite those, it was quite a ride. Now off to play some DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom