• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished up Guacamelee just last week, and I'll put it out there that this might personally be my favorite Metroidvania type game. I'll break it down point by point, since I'm crappy at writing paragraphs.

Setting: Obviously a matter of personal taste here. But I have a real love for classic bright settings in video games, as well as for lesser used settings. The degree to which I would rather play the game on the top as opposed to the game on the bottom (even assuming that I enjoyed all the rest of the in equal amounts) is hard to overstate.

It's colorful, bold, and original. It's a setting that puts a smile on my face, which goes a long way for making me enjoy a little down time with a game.

Difficulty Curve: I'm not claiming that it's that challenging of a game, but I really like how the difficulty went in this game. In particular I like that combat encounters ramped up during the game, but they were still challenging at the start and end to some degree. With games like SoTN I'd often end up breaking the game by the end and becoming way too overpowered with levels and equipment or you'd get some weird difficulty spike at some point that would hold you up for way to long. Guacamelee had encounters and jumping stuff all throughout the game that were not crazy difficult, but they required you to have your head on straight with how you handled them. And the leveling opening up new moves and skills, but it never got to a point with me where my character was way OP and on cruise control.

Fighting Engine: I really liked this. Partially this is having a soft spot for grappling moves in beat-em-up games like Double Dragon II or Streets of Rage. So the wrestling finishing moves here were really fun to me. Secondly, while use move X to beat enemy of color Y is nothing new, it was really well implemented here. I really loved that past the midgame combat encounters were almost like little mini puzzle games. You'd have to check the arena, see what shielded enemies were where, which enemies were in the light and dark world, and figure out the best way to break those shields and defeat the enemies while not getting hit by any of the others. I felt like they rolled out the various concepts (colored shields, light / dark world, new enemy types, timed "bomb" enemies) at a nice rate to gradually make the combat more complex and interesting while still feeling like you were progressing. As a final note the dodge / combo engine was actually pretty dang flexible for a game of this type, lots of cool little combos that you can do with the launchers, rolls, various grapple moves, and basic attacks.

Map / Backtracking: I'm sure some other folks will disagree here. But for me, I really enjoyed that the mainline path is pretty straightforward in Guacamelee without very much backtracking. I enjoy small puzzles of both the logic and jumping types, but I don't like just being straight up lost with not knowing what I'm trying to accomplish next. Others might feel that it's too handholdy, but I really enjoyed keeping the basic path easy and allowing side exploration for bonuses.

And for a final point it has couch co-op. Which is pretty much just the bee's knees for me. Makes any game go up like a full letter grade in my eyes. So yeah, really fun game, and one of my favorites of the last couple of years.

It's a genius game just for the fact that Guacamelee's version of the morph ball is just turning yourself into a chicken.

as for the difficulty, i've read that the game got nerfed some for the turbo champ edition. there were some platforming segments near the end that were challenging in a good way, though, so i wonder if they took some of the oomph out of the game by watering it down.

so, is Guilty Gear Isuka just a GG beat 'em up? I can't tell with this series since there are about a dozen or so GG games and they never seem to stop.

Looks like the first Deponia is 90% off ($1.99 USD), that's a pretty damn good deal. They never seem to put all of them on sale at once, though..

I just finished it, it's not great, mediocre in my opinion, not getting the humor, enjoyed Cognition a lot more. It's definitely worth 2$ thou.

Will play part 2 and 3, hope they are better.

I finished up Guacamelee just last week, and I'll put it out there that this might personally be my favorite Metroidvania type game. I'll break it down point by point, since I'm crappy at writing paragraphs.

Setting: Obviously a matter of personal taste here. But I have a real love for classic bright settings in video games, as well as for lesser used settings. The degree to which I would rather play the game on the top as opposed to the game on the bottom (even assuming that I enjoyed all the rest of the in equal amounts) is hard to overstate.

It's colorful, bold, and original. It's a setting that puts a smile on my face, which goes a long way for making me enjoy a little down time with a game.

Difficulty Curve: I'm not claiming that it's that challenging of a game, but I really like how the difficulty went in this game. In particular I like that combat encounters ramped up during the game, but they were still challenging at the start and end to some degree. With games like SoTN I'd often end up breaking the game by the end and becoming way too overpowered with levels and equipment or you'd get some weird difficulty spike at some point that would hold you up for way to long. Guacamelee had encounters and jumping stuff all throughout the game that were not crazy difficult, but they required you to have your head on straight with how you handled them. And the leveling opening up new moves and skills, but it never got to a point with me where my character was way OP and on cruise control.

Fighting Engine: I really liked this. Partially this is having a soft spot for grappling moves in beat-em-up games like Double Dragon II or Streets of Rage. So the wrestling finishing moves here were really fun to me. Secondly, while use move X to beat enemy of color Y is nothing new, it was really well implemented here. I really loved that past the midgame combat encounters were almost like little mini puzzle games. You'd have to check the arena, see what shielded enemies were where, which enemies were in the light and dark world, and figure out the best way to break those shields and defeat the enemies while not getting hit by any of the others. I felt like they rolled out the various concepts (colored shields, light / dark world, new enemy types, timed "bomb" enemies) at a nice rate to gradually make the combat more complex and interesting while still feeling like you were progressing. As a final note the dodge / combo engine was actually pretty dang flexible for a game of this type, lots of cool little combos that you can do with the launchers, rolls, various grapple moves, and basic attacks.

Map / Backtracking: I'm sure some other folks will disagree here. But for me, I really enjoyed that the mainline path is pretty straightforward in Guacamelee without very much backtracking. I enjoy small puzzles of both the logic and jumping types, but I don't like just being straight up lost with not knowing what I'm trying to accomplish next. Others might feel that it's too handholdy, but I really enjoyed keeping the basic path easy and allowing side exploration for bonuses.

And for a final point it has couch co-op. Which is pretty much just the bee's knees for me. Makes any game go up like a full letter grade in my eyes. So yeah, really fun game, and one of my favorites of the last couple of years.

Thanks for this. I was going to start it this past weekend but then decided to wait for the turbo edition.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would buy deadfall for 5 bucks. I played the demo a few months ago and it seemed like a decent romp.

I had the same thought, and picked it up when it was 75% off. I played for about an hour and it was such a letdown. I honestly enjoyed Unearthed more, which is saying something.

BruteUA

Every time this game is on sale and I'm scrolling through quickly,

header_292x136.jpg

I think it's a Judge Dredd game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Seeing screenshots from Shadow Complex in the Steam thread without a port announcement just makes me sad. :(

Ibuki

Banned
Anyone else getting STFU? I'm hyped to play but I have to work for like 6 more hours. Why did I have to check the steam page?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you 13? Do you think vampires are so K3WL and EMO and DEEP?
Then you might have written this shitfest.
The "stealth gaming" is a total joke too.

Well, is it good jank or terrible jank? I dunno. Shit, I'll try the goddamn thing, I guess.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guilty Gear Isuka is horrible trash and it's nothing but regret, so don't get excited.

It's a genius game just for the fact that Guacamelee's version of the morph ball is just turning yourself into a chicken.

as for the difficulty, i've read that the game got nerfed some for the turbo champ edition. there were some platforming segments near the end that were challenging in a good way, though, so i wonder if they took some of the oomph out of the game by watering it down.

Yeah from what I heard people talking about before I played it, they made it sound like the game was annoyingly meme-ridden. But I actually found most of the culture / video game references to be quite cute. I like the morph-chicken, the Chozo statues, and finding all the reference posters scattered around the towns.

Bit of a shame if they did nerf it, but that is what it is. For me it was spot on.

rjc571

Banned
How's The Bridge? Anyone play it?

I mean yeah, it's only 99 cents but I still like to know what I'm getting into before buying something

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah from what I heard people talking about before I played it, they made it sound like the game was annoyingly meme-ridden. But I actually found most of the culture / video game references to be quite cute. I like the morph-chicken, the Chozo statues, and finding all the reference posters scattered around the towns.

Bit of a shame if they did nerf it, but that is what it is. For me it was spot on.

It fell into one of those ruts where the few memes they did put in the game got plastered EVERYWHERE with media for the game and reviews. That stuff turns me off of games but not enough to not play it. It was definitely challenging, didn't check out the updated version though.

KarmaCow

Whoops, messed up the entrance to the DS2 dlc. Misread something on the steam forums, it's where everyone thought it would be.

Hopefully it releases early like the last DLC, got my characters at the entrance ready to go.

Always burn your bridges in your professional and personal life.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Pour the gas. Light the match burn
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Bridge -- MB-EBC8B31C7938510A - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.

t1408989045z1.png

Anteater

van helsing is weird, runs at 21fps because I have afterburner fps limit on, turned it off and the game is now 56fps when I set it to 60 ingame >_>

Most games are released when the deals change.

I don't think so. Every time I've waited for the minute a game released, it's always been 11 PDT.

• Electronic Super Joy: Groove City
  • Transistor
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Bioshock Infinite
Those are all games I sat there waiting for release, and they were all released at 12 my time, which is 11 PDT.

FloatOn

oh also of note:

I bought this 2 in 1 tablet/laptop thing yesterday (acer switch 10) and I tried out steam in home streaming for the first time. I was incredibly impressed. It seems it's much less about how graphically intensive a game is versus how fast your network is (I played spelunky and sonic racing transformed). I was getting a bit of lag but it seemed pretty playable for the most part. I may fork over a bit more money for faster internet due to this technical wizardry. It seems perfect for when my room mates may want to play something else on the tv on another input channel.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
oh also of note:

I bought this 2 in 1 tablet/laptop thing yesterday (acer switch 10) and I tried out steam in home streaming for the first time. I was incredibly impressed. It seems it's much less about how graphically intensive a game is versus how fast your network is (I played spelunky and sonic racing transformed). I was getting a bit of lag but it seemed pretty playable for the most part. I may fork over a bit more money for faster internet due to this technical wizardry. It seems perfect for when my room mates may want to play something else on the tv on another input channel.

Yeah, I was floored by in-home streaming. It's the real shit.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think so. Every time I've waited for the minute a game released, it's always been 11 PDT.

• Electronic Super Joy: Groove City
  • Transistor
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Bioshock Infinite
Those are all games I sat there waiting for release, and they were all released at 12 my time, which is 11 PDT.

And you only have to look at the release time for say, Metro Redux to show that this is not really correct. It's releasing at 10, which is when most games do. Some games tend to peter out throughout the day, but the average game is at 10 when new deals hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom