• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StAidan

One of the games in the current Groupees bundle is Meltdown. Anyone played and can comment on it?

I spent quite a bit of time with it in early access. It's got good, challenging gameplay that ramps up pretty fast, and the levels are somewhat procedurally generated, so you never have exactly the same experience. The downside is that it's really best experienced in multiplayer, and the player base was always... extremely slim. The difficulty was balanced toward multiplayer more than single player, so most of the time I played it, I felt like there was a lot of grinding required to upgrade my stats and equipment to a point of competency as I unlocked more levels.

I don't know whether the balance issues are worked out in release, but based on SteamCharts it looks like now would be the time to try it out in multiplayer, thanks to the bundle (25 active players at this very moment).

It's definitely a fun game with a wide variety of weapons to buy/choose from, and some frantic moments as the difficulty increases.

Some extra bundle stuff:
ModBot said:
Instructions for General_Frags:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (General_Frags, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1 -- MB-D6195845E421D9D4 - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Sequence -- MB-CFD00A07B7D79D10 - Taken by Leg-End. 6 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-6C7BF7B2D4B4C5C0 - Taken by lukiluk. 3 entrants total.
Volt -- MB-9721236AE9B9C12B - Taken by Darth Kupi. 6 entrants total.
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-809188DF361B0DC1 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
1000 Amps -- MB-579EA1A100AEFEC9 - Taken by maty. 2 entrants total.
99 Levels To Hell -- MB-6C99963C237B1EEC - Taken by Cth. 2 entrants total.
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- MB-A6D15CD0C9796F6D - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1409088345z1.png

Shadownet

Banned
Why did I have to go to the doctor while Assassin's Creed Unity was in a giveaway! :(

Amazing giveaway though. Very generous of you mate.
------
I probably should create a Steam group for Fantasy Football. Good idea.

Ozium

Has anyone even listened to the OSTs given with Groupees bundles? I mean it's nice that they're giving these indie musicians some exposure but I have yet to dl any of those albums outside World 1-2...

they aren't just OSTs they are indie albums too..

you can preview them on the bundles pages too.. I discovered DOPELORD through them so it's awesome... Also it's nice to have them for music based games...

Tizoc

Done. If it actually sells for that I'll do a giveaway with some of the earnings as a thanks.

The last $10 foil I put up for sale sold only like...1+ months since I put it up for $10. Hopefully some shmuck'd be niterested enough in buying it that he'd get it at that price.

I spent quite a bit of time with it in early access. It's got good, challenging gameplay that ramps up pretty fast, and the levels are somewhat procedurally generated, so you never have exactly the same experience. The downside is that it's really best experienced in multiplayer, and the player base was always... extremely slim. The difficulty was balanced toward multiplayer more than single player, so most of the time I played it, I felt like there was a lot of grinding required to upgrade my stats and equipment to a point of competency as I unlocked more levels.

I don't know whether the balance issues are worked out in release, but based on SteamCharts it looks like now would be the time to try it out in multiplayer, thanks to the bundle (25 active players at this very moment).

It's definitely a fun game with a wide variety of weapons to buy/choose from, and some frantic moments as the difficulty increases.

Is it best played SP or MP in this case?

StAidan

Is it best played SP or MP in this case?

MP is better. IIRC, you get more XP in MP as well, which makes the progression feel a lot more natural.

Just checked my account and it looks like I spent close to 7 hours with the game. I'd say less than half that time was in MP due to not being able to find other players. With it being bundled like this though, I feel compelled to jump back in and give it another try.

The last $10 foil I put up for sale sold only like...1+ months since I put it up for $10. Hopefully some shmuck'd be niterested enough in buying it that he'd get it at that price.

Funny. I just checked the market. I'm the only one selling, but there's one buy order on it for 20 cents. I suppose that's a valiant effort to drive the price down.

Tizoc

they aren't just OSTs they are indie albums too..

you can preview them on the bundles pages too.. I discovered DOPELORD through them so it's awesome... Also it's nice to have them for music based games...

Should've said music albums, sorry too used to using the term OST ^^;

Did Metro Redux get changed? The image I saw earlier in the OT said it was going up at midnight pacific but it now says 20 hours. Then again I suppose that's happened on steam before, and then it suddenly unlocks.

fantomena

Just played 1 horus of The Crew Beta.

It was fun for about 10 min. Seriously. Graphics were crap, missions were generic, world looked dead, the entire thing looked dead and a waste of time.

Sorry, Ubi.

Tizoc

7 hours til this night shift ends and now I am effin' hungry...and no I won't post food pics, go google them yourself!

Just played 1 horus of The Crew Beta.

IUt was fun for about 10 min. Seriously. Graphics were crap, missions were generic, world looked dead, the entire thing looked dead and a waste of time.

Sorry, Ubi.

It already made it to the Steam top 10, so Ubi wouldn't care what you think :V No offense.

When a giveaway asks that you have 5 or more posts, does it count if you had it like 4 OTs ago. Or better yet, can you check if you're eligible for everything ?

I don't post much here, and don't want to spam. (and yet this post is +1 ! )

fernandes

When a giveaway asks that you have 5 or more posts, does it count if you had it like 4 OTs ago. Or better yet, can you check if you're eligible for everything ?

Did you read the whole sentence? The answer is right there in the rule:

"If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible"

I'd assume it'd be this thread and the previous one according to the description. To check if you're eligible, just check the number of posts you've made in each thread.

If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible.

Did you read the whole sentence? The answer is right there in the rule:

"If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible"
Says previous one, not one(s).
I didn't post in the last OT but the one way way before, so mainly why I'm asking.

maty

Which level was best for grinding cash money? Buying all that concept art is damn expensive.

I did most of the money grinding on hard but I finished the game on normal and hard before replaying stages. I replayed The Amazon around 5 times after finishing my 2nd playthrough. This level gave me $4.500.000 every time I finished it.

Once I had only 6 backgrounds to buy I started my extreme run.

Also used "hard pogo" when replaying the levels on hard to get used to the controls. It was much easier than expected.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
alice madness returns while simplistic, controls really well and they did good at what they set out to do, I wish they were given another chance at an AAA game because I think they did really well with Alice.
I hate how the game constantly takes control out of me. Whenever I enter a new room, press a button or defeat an enemy, chances are I'll have to sit through a mini-cutscene where the camera pans through the new area or door that just opened. That's infuriating, especially because it's a good game otherwise (Epic Mickey did that too, but that was only one of the many flaws of what I consider the most disappointing game ever, so it doesn't stand out too much there.)

Inversion is a competent TPS, the gravity gimmick gives it a nice twist, you can use it to throw objects like with HL2's gravity gun, make enemies float out of cover, a gunfight might start on the floor and end on the ceiling or a wall, there are zero G sections kinda like Dead Space but you don't fly around freely, you fly from object to object trying to find the best cover depending on the angle of incoming enemy fire. You can also make objects heavier later in the game which can be used on enemies but also to make objects drop down to the ground for cover.
Game doesn't look too hot, straight last gen console port.
Environments are as generic as it gets, one of the worst offenders of the brown and grey syndrome.
Environmental destruction is nice when it's there, gunplay isn't the best but it's satisfying enough.
The worst part is the insane amount of cutscenes, there's barely 5 minutes of continuous gameplay and it's also as dudebro as you can get which doesn't help.
Also no coop even though there's a companion AI character throughout the whole game.

If you want some mindless fun it's worth checking out.

Anustart

Just encountered Falmer's for the first time in Skyrim. I feel it's my duty to wipe that disgusting group off the face of the Tamriel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom