• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have to claim responsibility for some of the dupe codes that were given away over the past few days (including Sunless Sea, I'm really sorry Ozium). I did not do it to troll,to have a laugh or to boost my giver status. The reason was that I had some spare keys for some games lying around that I was not sure if they were activated. Since these games were not cheap and sought after I really didn't want to do a garbage dump giveaway as that would remove my blocklist so I decided to give them away anonymously. Also, when I accidentally gave away some dupe codes in the past I really didn't like the way some winners handled the whole situation, they basically felt entitled to the game and asked me to get them a working code before I offered to do so myself. I should really have added a message saying that the key may be a duplicate, so excuse me for not doing that

You can ban me, block me, slap me etc. I don't really care. Like I said my giveaway status doesn't matter at all to me. I enter very few giveaways and I already have a megagiver status, so doing that just for trolling would be pointless

To Ozium and the others. I'll try to rectify that and personally gift you the game on Steam when I can, as I'm very busy at the moment
Don't listen to them, you don't owe them anything. You didn't give out an used key in bad faith, so they have no right to demand anything from you. There's a huge difference between saying "The key didn't work, but thanks anyway for the intention" and "Hey fool, you gave me an used key, so now you must buy me a new copy". The former is OK in my book, and I appreciate people being thankful even when the giver made a mistake. But the latter is horrible, and I believe it deserves the person to be blocked from further giveaways (at least that's what I'd do). If you then decide to buy another copy for them that's your decision and yours alone, but you don't owe them anything.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Come at me Steam GAF:

994184_645385192227052_6138619372382296162_n.jpg
Consider me a Hateful Friend :p

Seriously, why birds? That makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah, I installed Steam on Ubuntu, restarted two times but it won't start :/
Whatever. I am gonna wipe the laptop now anyway. Would have been nice to get some experience how Linux and gaming is. So far my verdict is broken and not as easy as Windows. Wonder how SteamOS will turn out when it's final.

dani_dc

Consider me a Hateful Friend :p

Seriously, why birds? That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm just happy you consider me a friend at all RIonaa-chan.

Not just any birds, Pigeons! There are no Cockatiel in this game for example
that'd be even sexier.

Has anyone played Lichdom: Battlemage? Are there any SteamGAF impressions about? It seems pretty cool and it's coming out of Early Access soon (this week?) but I'm not sure if I'm £22 into it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PVZ Garden Warfare was a bit slow for my tastes. I had my fill after 5 or so maps. It just wasn't that exciting to play. I didn't bother using anymore of the 72 hour game time.

The biggest issue with SteamOS is that Linux just isn't going to cut it for gaming as is. The hardcore gamer is going to stick with windows because everything works for it and driver support is best on it. The casual gamer isn't going to fuck around with linux or get pulled in by its limited support and library, both for games and otherwise.

so who the hell is this machine for?

Jawmuncher

The OS is extremely limited in scope and essentially exists to facilitate the use of Steam, plus it's based on an existing distro (Debian).

That sounds horrible.

The biggest issue with SteamOS is that Linux just isn't going to cut it for gaming as is. The hardcore gamer is going to stick with windows because everything works for it and driver support is best on it. The casual gamer isn't going to fuck around with linux or get pulled in by it's limited support and library, both for games and otherwise.

Pretty much. Can't see anyone who wants to get into PC gaming going.
I should get in on this linux for the best support. Windows backwards Compatibility alone makes it worthwhile as well as everything works there as you said.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That sounds horrible.

Well, the goal of SteamOS -- at least at this juncture -- is to extend the reach of Linux as a platform for games, not replace Windows as an all-in-one operating system. That's why it's shipping with pre-built PCs that are designed to be used like consoles, not desktop systems.

Copons

The biggest issue with SteamOS is that Linux just isn't going to cut it for gaming as is. The hardcore gamer is going to stick with windows because everything works for it and driver support is best on it. The casual gamer isn't going to fuck around with linux or get pulled in by it's limited support and library, both for games and otherwise.

I guess it's actually for the gamers in the middle between hardcore and casual.

About a year ago, when I was struggling to run even the crappiest indie on my old laptop, my plan was to hold up until Valve released the Steam Machine hoping for a comfortable (not needing to be built from scratch) and cheap gaming rig.
In the end I was tired of waiting and built my own PC, but nonetheless, I'm still kinda curious about it, and I know a lot of people that just don't care about the OS, they just want to play, and not be bothered by technicalities.
SteamOS is for them.
I'm not saying it's a huge demographic, but I think it exists and if targeted and "marketed" in the right way, it could grow a lot.

hellocld

If Steam Machines, at launch, can get a decent install base with the console crowd, it might lead to better driver development and support for Linux as a platform. If there's an audience there putting money into it, developers will make content for it. The trick is just getting that first bunch of people on said platform and keeping them there for a bit.

If that works, then the general support for Linux as a platform will improve, resulting (ideally) in better games and better hardware support. More gaming on SteamOS will mean more gaming on Linux in general.

As for Valve supporting an entire OS, they really just need to handle supporting the installer and Steam. Since SteamOS is a Debian-based distro, anyone with a bit of Linux experience (or some Googling skills) can add new repositories to install other software and treat it like any other Linux PC.

Dr Dogg

I guess it's actually for the gamers in the middle between hardcore and casual.

So the softcore then? :p

That's about right if you go look at the kind of games that get day and date Linux releases. Next to no big budget titles but lots of smaller focused games. It's hard to think that just over a couple of years ago there were hardly any native Linux games and most gaming would rely on wrappers like Wine. Now there are 100's of games and more in the pipeline too (I can't be bothered to check but I think Steam has over 600 games listed for Linux now and there's still plenty more that aren't on there yet as well).

Ozium

ORION: Prelude free 5 day trial... play it for free so you know why you shouldn't buy it for a dollar

The player base seems to have grown a lot in the past few days. I wonder if it is actually good. There is no negative threads in the steam forums. And those who bashed the game got themselves banned

if someone is banned they aren't banned from all of the steam forums, just that game.. meaning the devs or whoever mods that game board banned them.. probably for bashing the game :/

Copons

So the softcore then? :p

That's about right if you go look at the kind of games that get day and date Linux releases. Next to no big budget titles but lots of smaller focused games. It's hard to think that just over a couple of years ago there were hardly any native Linux games and most gaming would rely on wrappers like Wine. Now there are 100's of games and more in the pipeline too (I can't be bothered to check but I think Steam has over 600 games listed for Linux now and there's still plenty more that aren't on there yet as well).

I like it so much I'd actually prefer being called softcore gamer than hardcore gamer!

But, anyway, the increasing output of games on Linux is mostly due to the fact that current developer tools make publishing for Linux extremely easy, almost to the point of just clicking the "export for Linux" button.
I mean, Unity, GameMaker, Construct, etc. all of them allow it. I don't know about AAA engines (Source shoult be fine, but Unreal, Anvil or whatever?), but I guess it's a virtuous circle, where increasing Linux userbase will lead to more engines capable to export for Linux, which will lead to more games published there, meaning more users using Linux.

Arthea

ORION STEAMGAF GAME NIGHT LETS DO IT.

Actually, I tried to play it a year ago or so by an old name, of course. I couldn't find any game to join, and statistics under the game page on store looks totally unbelievable.
Granted, there were couple of games going and I watched one for a while, it didn't seemed fun at all. There were whole two people playing! I created my game, spend some time running around on an empty map laughing at clunky controls and decided to call it quits.
Not sure even you can talk me into giving it another chance. (><)

Jawmuncher

I can set it up. So is the trail done on Saturday?
Ozium was saying it was a 5 day. I'm assuming everyone wants to play while it's free.

I eagerly await the Walking Dead Season 2 midweek sale.

Hurry up and update the store, Valve!

ORION: Prelude

So they changed the name of it again?
Weren't they who thought changing name would get a new Metacritic score?

It's still listed as Orion: Dino Horde by the purchase button. IIRC that was the original name, which is really odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom