• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
haha thats funny. actually terraria is the only game where I enjoy building stuff. I hate doing it in minecraft, and starbound(which is very similar to terraria for those who don't know.) I'll post a pic of my base tomorrow if I remember.

This is part of the reason I haven't tried Terraria yet, I could not get into Starbound. I think those sorts of games are just slightly too sandboxy for me. Didn't really have much motivation to build or explore or craft the next armor tier just so I could build and explore more.

But someday I will install and try it out.

I tend to prefer Starbound but it seems like it's in endless beta.

Haha, speaking of, Starbound was another game gifted to me, and I gave it a decent try!

SSPssp

Just booted up Last Light to see how it performs on my rig before I jump into 2033 next week. It ran really well, but my PC has made this noise since March, and it's louder when I play LL. It only happens when I'm in a game (only when something is being rendered, not in menus), and only in specific games. But its a very consistant noise, sometimes just a whirring, more of a buzzing when it's loudest (like when I play LL), and sometimes there's nothing at all. I think it might be a fan, or just what my card sounds lik under load, but it makes me worried that it's something else. So that's going to have me paranoid all through my LL playthrough. I know it's probably nothing, but damn is it unnerving.

It might be your card. My 750 ti always makes more noise when playing games. I've noticed on windowed games that the card's fan will go quiet when I minimize the window, and then get noisy again when I maximize the window.
I don't know if that will work for you to isolate the noise, but maybe you could try to see if you hear the fan get noisy or quiet depending on whether the game is displayed on-screen or not. When I switch between minimized and maximized window, the change is very noticeable and quick.

MattyG

Banned
It might be your card. My 750 ti always makes more noise when playing games. I've noticed on windowed games that the card's fan will go quiet when I minimize the window, and then get noisy again when I maximize the window.
I don't know if that will work for you to isolate the noise, but maybe you could try to see if you hear the fan get noisy or quiet depending on whether the game is displayed on-screen or not. When I switch between minimized and maximized window, the change is very noticeable and quick.
If I alt tab, the noise stops immediately, and then it starts up again as soon as I go back into tears game. I haven't tried windowed mode yet though.

What kind of noise does your card make?

Only way to find out is to open your PC and disconnect one case fan at a time. After that try to very carefully slow down the fan(s) of your graphics card. Power supply is a bit more tricky. Or it could be something completely different like coil whine from the power supply or your video card.
I'm almost positive it's not coil whine. I've heard of similar things like capacitor buzz or something, that I thought it might be. I'll have to try the fan thing. I have 3 cheap case fans that can with my case, and I'm using my CPU's stock fan, which might be it.

I did hit one of my GPU fans off kilter once, so much so that it skimmed the cooling fins and dinged a couple. So maybe that's it, but I'm still not positive. I'm fine with the noise, as long as it doesn't signal system failure in the near future.

derExperte

Just booted up Last Light to see how it performs on my rig before I jump into 2033 next week. It ran really well, but my PC has made this noise since March, and it's louder when I play LL. It only happens when I'm in a game (only when something is being rendered, not in menus), and only in specific games. But its a very consistant noise, sometimes just a whirring, more of a buzzing when it's loudest (like when I play LL), and sometimes there's nothing at all. I think it might be a fan, or just what my card sounds lik under load, but it makes me worried that it's something else. So that's going to have me paranoid all through my LL playthrough. I know it's probably nothing, but damn is it unnerving.

Only way to find out is to open your PC and disconnect one case fan at a time (though they're probably not the culprit). After that try to very carefully slow down the fan(s) of your graphics card. Power supply is a bit more tricky. Or it could be something completely different like coil whine from the power supply or your video card.

SSPssp

If I alt tab, the noise stops immediately, and then it starts up again as soon as I go back into tears game. I haven't tried windowed mode yet though.

It makes a constant whirring sound. So I assume its the fan. But, its always made that sound, and it hasn't gotten better or worse. So I don't know why yours has changed, assuming its the fan.

Edit: Alt-tabing is probably the same as switching in windowed mode, I would think.

Huh. Your probably right, it must just be the fan. I played CSGO and STALKER earlier today and there was little to no noise, and then I boot up LL and it's much louder. It would make sense to be the fan since LL made everything run at higher temps and is more demanding.

Probably. Basic games don't increase the noise very much on my card either.

MattyG

Banned
It makes a constant whirring sound. So I assume its the fan. But, its always made that sound, and it hasn't gotten better or worse. So I don't know why yours has changed, assuming its the fan.
Huh. Your probably right, it must just be the fan. I played CSGO and STALKER earlier today and there was little to no noise, and then I boot up LL and it's much louder. It would make sense to be the fan since LL made everything run at higher temps and is more demanding.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This item does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list before purchasing.

This is what the RU store page for The Witcher 3 now says. The subs, while RU-specific, are the same region-free ones from before. Oh, and there is no supported language list. I can't imagine that CDPR keeps a close eye on the game's hub, but there is a pinned topic created by a developer, so I'm going to send him a friend request and see if I can't discuss the matter with him -- it wouldn't be fair to lock down the RU subs that have been region-free for weeks and only recently received a language support warning. They need to be replaced.

Edit: The alternative is that the game doesn't support Russian, but without a language list it's hard to tell. I suppose I'll find out if the dev accepts my FR.

Edit edit: Never mind, apparently the warning is on the store page of every region.

Echoplx

This is what the RU store page for The Witcher 3 now says. The subs, while RU-specific, are the same region-free ones from before. Oh, and there is no supported language list. I can't imagine that CDPR keeps a close eye on the game's hub, but there is a pinned topic created by a developer, so I'm going to send him a friend request and see if I can't discuss the matter with him -- it wouldn't be fair to lock down the RU subs that have been region-free for weeks and only recently received a language support warning. They need to be replaced.

Says that on every store page for me.

madjoki

Could be mistake. That warning seems to be recently added by steam. The Witcher 3 just doesn't have languages set yet and it does show on ROW/English too.

I get same warning on almost every page because almost none of games get translated here.

JaseC

Could be mistake. That warning seems to be recently added by steam. The Witcher 3 just doesn't have languages set yet and it does show on ROW/English too.

I get same warning on almost every page because almost none of games get translated here.

Yeah, chop just pointed out to me that the warning is widespread. It can't be more than 12 days old.

I assume it says that because there is no supported language list so Steam must think no languages are supported and just display that message for everyone.

Yeah, I gathered that and was just kidding, hence the ":p".

Vuze

Edit: The alternative is that the game doesn't support Russian, but without a language list it's hard to tell. I suppose I'll find out if the dev accepts my FR.

Edit edit: Never mind, apparently the warning is on the store page of every region.
Ah just saw your edit when I quoted the post. Well then.
I just sent Vuze a gift because I noticed his account was lacking...

who else?
Five Element Ninja already got me covered a while back but "thanks" :p

JaseC

I've never managed to find out where the Who Posted thing is. Thanks MRORANGE for the linking it. I've made a almost third of my lifetime posts in that thread, lol.

When browsing a forum page, click the number in the "Replies" column.

dreamfall

That new thread smell!

Lurking about, like always.

Got completely lost in ACIV. Just so much collecting, I love the flow of it! Ships getting obliterated!

MattyG

Banned
I've never managed to find out where the Who Posted thing is. Thanks MRORANGE for the linking it. I've made a almost third of my lifetime posts in that thread, lol.
I was just looking for the same thing a few minutes ago. I know how to find it on mobile, but never could figure out where it was on the desktop site.

NotSelf

A tip for anyone starting out on terraria for the first time make sure to keep your inventory organized or you'll end up with a bloody mess
like me:(

maneil99

I'm almost positive it's not coil whine. I've heard of similar things like capacitor buzz or something, that I thought it might be. I'll have to try the fan thing. I have 3 cheap case fans that can with my case, and I'm using my CPU's stock fan, which might be it.

I did hit one of my GPU fans off kilter once, so much so that it skimmed the cooling fins and dinged a couple. So maybe that's it, but I'm still not positive. I'm fine with the noise, as long as it doesn't signal system failure in the near future.
Bet my ass its coil whine from gpu or psu

Tellaerin

Ah, KOF XIII. I had almost forgotten just how ridiculously cheap SNK bosses could be. Seriously, I'd love to know why some developers have such a hard time coming up with fighting game bosses that are challenging but fair and actually fun to fight. An overpowered opponent that counters everything and can only be taken out by cheesing an AI loophole isn't a fun fight. Bleh.

Ah, KOF XIII. I had almost forgotten just how ridiculously cheap SNK bosses could be. Seriously, I'd love to know why some developers have such a hard time coming up with fighting game bosses that are challenging but fair and actually fun to fight. An overpowered opponent that counters everything and can only be taken out by cheesing an AI loophole isn't a fun fight. Bleh.
Quarter munchers.

JaseC

yeah like i could remember this

gafjki6i.jpg

Also, when viewing the Who's Posted? list, you can click the figure opposite a username to see a list of their posts.

Knurek

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Knurek, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-44380686C37B7089 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 2 entrants total.
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-2A6D1E3B7507D2A3 - Taken by Milamber. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-9AD518AC21D6D255
Deadlight -- MB-189D1DB5AF2DAA05 - Taken by Driw3r. 4 entrants total.
Battlepillars Gold Edition -- MB-01E727EEC7CD5A3D - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
1000 Amps -- MB-E2C989B7E99B85FE - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.

t1408524753z1.png

Hopefully someone finds anything worthwhile here. Cheers SteamGAF!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
gafjki6i.jpg

Also, when viewing the Who's Posted? list, you can click the figure opposite a username to see a list of their posts.

And this is why people love you.

Though, I could imagine it could be written in a cynical tone but that doesn't always come out in writing.

Beelzebubs

One from the new Humble and a few leftovers from a giveaway a couple of days ago.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Super Sanctum TD #2 -- MB-1DDD13202A9DF41F
Super Sanctum TD -- MB-F2BB9C39CB643CA3 - Taken by taco543. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-1688F96AB01FFA24
Terraria -- MB-A3A191660D95AEDD - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Super Sanctum TD #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1408525593z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
witcha gameplay video looks sick

i hope my 560gtx will handle it somehow

gafjki6i.jpg

see now you're just overwhelming me with information

i like my agreement with mrorange that he does all the work

AHA-Lambda

Resi Revelations 2 looks to be a thing? Awesome :D

I haven't felt as positive about Resi in quite some time, all it took was going back to your roots Capcom ;)

Man, I thought I had heard that Splinter Cell Blacklist was suppose to be a good game (the best since Chaos Theory), but so far I am completely really unimpressed and the PC version does not seem very good at all.

First couldn't get it to start in fullscreen. Had to look up a fix for that.

Next, the "saving game" message in the upper right of the screen appears throughout the duration of all the cutscenes I've played so far. Haven't found a fix for that, only a single two post thread on ubi forums about the bug with no resolution found.

And worst of all the game just seems to control badly. Compared to Conviction, the cover system seems way clunkier. Crouch being assigned to the left stick button feels really odd compared to the old games. And the biggest issue I'm having is how sloppy the movement feels. While crouching, it feels like I have two movement speeds using the analog stick, moving too fast and the guards will hear, or moving slow so they wont. The old games I always remember having a great sense of movement and being able to creep up really slowly. This game I feel like I just need to stumble my way close to hit the knock out button, doesn't seem to matter if they hear me or not as long as I hit them fast enough, haha.

I may not have loved Conviction much since it went a lot more action focused than I wanted the series to be, but I still enjoyed playing the game. From what little I've played of Blacklist I'm worried I may not even bother finishing it from what little worth I'm finding with it. :/

Having just beat it, fuck Five Nights At Freddys. Fuck that game and all the bullshit nightmares its gonna leave with me

Getting the sequel day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom