• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, honestly it feels kind of cheap, but that's the entire point. It's cheaper to make than actual ingame/prerendered cutscene, so from an indie-game-creator POV I can totally relate.
I've done similar myself

I think Mirror's Edge (oh god, this has to be 100th time I whine about this) is the worst offender: the game looks so awesome and then the cutscenes are these awful slideshows. Why.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Episode 5 of TWDS02 is already off to a good start for those who play as asshole Clem. I hope there are lots of fucked up decision possibilities.

Hugstable

Banned
Can you check in the settings to save the broadcast, please? It sucks when I can't watch it because I missed the live-stream.

Yup already got that done for Hitbox.tv, they made it pretty easy and already had it selected for me :D. I'm actually kinda sad I didn't get to save the last one after my fight with the Ruin Sentinals.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Ah, I missed a lashman stream :( Damn

Did you enjoy Lichdom? Heard mixed opinions about it

it's pretty good ... can get a little bit same-y ... but spell crafting is really cool :D I'll post some screenshots shortly :)

and in the meantime - here's the vod of the stream :)

Mmm, pie...

ModBot said:
Instructions for PetriP-TNT:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PetriP-TNT, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Orcs Must Pie 2: Complete Pie -- MB-4FB5CBDE61C9C45B - Taken by FrozenXcalibur

Sendou

Honestly I think the reason comic style cutscenes are popular are the limitations that come with consoles. That way you can have some kind of cutscenes without compressing to hell and back. Play something like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Good looking game but cutscenes look horrible mainly because of heavy compression. That said it works with some games. I quite liked them in Mirror's Edge for example.

By the way how is 7 Days to Die? Valve seems to push it heavily but it looked kind of mediocre the little I saw it being played. Anybody has played it here?

Locust

Is it just me or are screenshots of non-Steam games now always set to private when you upload them?

Can make them public afterwards though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Man, I have not been posting much lately. I blame trying to get a new job. I did get a chance to play through two worlds of STFU though, awesome game. I definitely have room for improvement though, ha. Still, good that it's getting it's hooks into me. The pixel art is lovely to look at, and it's fun building strategies as I'm playing through the levels, rewinding and seeing how I can help push forward quicker, or defend myself in later loops. I definitely recommend it.

I've also been playing through Deponia: The Complete Journey. On the one hand, it's nice having a big point and click game with plenty of items and lots of characters, on the other it's got this odd feel to it. It's a bit... chauvinistic? In parts, anyway. I don't know whether it's a German sensibility or not, but there's a few insensitive caricatures and jokes that feel a little out of place. Still, with the three games together it's a really decent length and I'm enjoying the challenge.

I still have the last boss to beat on Wolfenstein TNO too. I don't know why I haven't gone back to that yet, I enjoyed the rest of the game immensely, I just don't like that boss fight at all.

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly I think the reason comic style cutscenes are popular are the limitations that come with consoles. That way you can have some kind of cutscenes without compressing to hell and back. Play something like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Good looking game but cutscenes look horrible mainly because of heavy compression.

That said it works with some games. I quite liked them in Mirror's Edge for example.

Those limitations also come with PC because devs still try to fit games on DVDs.

Kiru

There seems to be a new scam where people post a prntscr link that is actually some other domain, not prntscr.com. Don't want to post the actual thing, because people here might actually click it. It tries to download a file after clicking, probably a virus or other shit. So watch out guys.

Li Kao

Hey SteamGaf, could you please... cheer me up ?
Gaming wise the end of year looks very bland for me. Not enough exclusivities to warrant a 400$ console purchase, and I would so like to play Sunset Overdrive etc... And on the GPU front, my 560ti is largely past its prime. A new top class GPU would cost me a kidney and it still wouldn't mean that all AAA releases perform in a good way (I'm looking at you Ubi...)
I know graphics aren't the end all be all, and for fuck sake, I know that there are more important matters in life... still could do with a little cheer up :-/

In other news, Greenlight is about to hit 3500 over the next month or so:
8GtrCxG.png

I think this is almost more impressive than JaseC owning the entire Steam catelog

almost

derExperte

Gaming wise the end of year looks very bland for me. Not enough exclusivities to warrant a 400$ console purchase, and I would so like to play Sunset Overdrive etc... And on the GPU front, my 560ti is largely past its prime. A new top class GPU would cost me a kidney and it still wouldn't mean that all AAA releases perform in a good way (I'm looking at you Ubi...)
I know graphics aren't the end all be all, and for fuck sake, I know that there are more important matters in life... still could do with a little cheer up :-/

Check out the AMD 285 coming next week, it should be reasonably priced and provide a huge boost.

ViviOggi

Just play the amazing indies that are releasing every week and/or get into stuff like CSGO, Dota or Hearthstone. Missing out on a handful of hyped blockbusters won't kill you.

A WiiU isn't a terrible purchase either.

MORNING EVERYONEEEEEEEEEEE :) Whats everyone doing today? I got no work today and I got 0 intentions of going out today since no one wants to do anything so its game day :3 Think I'm going to play some counterstrike and see if I can beat Kid Icarus(I'm just going to rush through that game tho, I hate the controls with a passion)

kudoboi

Episode 5 of TWDS02 is already off to a good start for those who play as asshole Clem. I hope there are lots of fucked up decision possibilities.

i felt that the ending was
inferior
to TWD S01 :/

MORNING EVERYONEEEEEEEEEEE :) Whats everyone doing today? I got no work today and I got 0 intentions of going out today since no one wants to do anything so its game day :3 Think I'm going to play some counterstrike and see if I can beat Kid Icarus(I'm just going to rush through that game tho, I hate the controls with a passion)

just completed my first exam paper today. should have used some time to study for the next paper but instead i spent it on the walking dead xD

milena87

There are so many interesting games, old and new, that you can play that don't need an amazing uber PC.

What type of games do you like? :)

Li Kao

Just play the amazing indies that are releasing every week and/or get into stuff like CSGO, Dota or Hearthstone. Missing out on a handful of hyped blockbusters won't kill you.

A WiiU isn't a terrible purchase either.

Oh, if I may insist on a point of my first post: I like indie games, I know they are often wonderful, yes. I know gfx are not what gaming is all about, yes.
But man I love my apples AND my oranges.

pahamrick

header_292x136.jpg

So, some impressions on Consortium (Thanks again Shadow!)

Finished it the first time on one sitting, I think my final time was somewhere around 4 hours. I'd have to check to get a more detailed time.

PROS:

Sci-Fi RPG (Seriously, I need more of this.)
Voice Aciting (That being said, I think some better recording of the voices could be done. Some of the voices sounded like they were recorded with a cheap microphone)

CONS:

This may be nit picking, but there's tons of things you can interact with in the game .. that you can't really interact with. It actually caused me to bypass a monitor that you actually can interact with and get more backstory / lore to the game because I'd tried so many other screens / objects and it would simply give a pop-up stating you can't interact with that at this time or some such.

It's a nice distraction, even if its a bit rough around the edges. I liked it enough where I'll probably buy the second part once it launches just so I can continue the story. I'd only recommend to folks looking to scratch a sci-fi itch, tho.

If your 560 Ti is past its prime then mine must be positively ancient. Do all Steamgaffers think like this? Am I out of touch?

Amzin

Hitting the road for PAX tomorrow. Anyone else going?

I wish. I've been a huge fan of Penny-Arcade for almost their entire existence and I've always wanted to make it to PAX. There's a chance I could finally do it next year, maybe, if I don't use my vacation to go to other places first :)

Anyone post that Out of the Park Baseball 15 is getting cards?

OOTP 15 Trading Cards Come to Steam!
Next time you play OOTP 15 in Steam, you'll likely get the chance to earn one of our new trading cards for the game which have just been submitted to Steam for review. There will be 9 cards available, with 6 badges, 5 backgrounds, and 5 emoticons in all

Fantastic game. My 1988 KC Royals really suck, however.

Turfster

I'm trying to reset my UPlay password to try the beta for The Crew. I've requested 3 reset links and every time I enter a new password, it says that the form has expired. This is why UPlay needs to be banished from PC gaming.

It took them over half a year to reset my password the last time, so...

If your 560 Ti is past its prime then mine must be positively ancient. Do all Steamgaffers think like this? Am I out of touch?
You don't to get to pull off high settings on new games that's for sure, but i don't mind turning down the settings. I've just replaced the GTS250 with 750Ti in my family PC today, for some gaming when I come home.

just completed my first exam paper today. should have used some time to study for the next paper but instead i spent it on the walking dead xD

oh god an exam paper already? when did you start school?! I'm not going to school this semster cause of financal reasons but the semester didn't even start at my school yet. @_@ thats brutal. But I know the feeling. I've had times where I had a report to do or study for an exam but I really wanted to play a game or something.(1 time this even happened with a final I had, but its k cause I still passed the final :D )

Hitting the road for PAX tomorrow. Anyone else going?

pls go play The Behemoth's new game, Game 4. Make sure you record it, and provide some impressions as well, PLEASEEEEE :D

It took them over half a year to reset my password the last time, so...

They couldn't add my old purchase of AC1 from back before Uplay existed but they sold games on their site, but when Uplay became a thing it automatically added AC2, Prince of Persia SOT, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist to my account, which were other purchases that i had made.

I sent them an support message with my order info and even the CD Key used for it and their response was "that version of the game isn't on Uplay, sorry, we can't add it."

I then went to the Uplay story, found the very exact same version of AC1, and replied to them, point them to it and letting them know that, yes, it is in fact actually in the store.

"Sorry, we can't add it."

Yeah, they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer over there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just realized that Extra Life is less than 60 days away (October 25th) so I need to get my campaign put together for that. I had a lot of fun last year and was able to raise a few hundred dollars for charity.

For those not familiar with Extra Life, it's a 24 hour gaming "marathon". On October 25th I'll sit down to a 24-hour long gaming session that will only be interrupted briefly for bathroom breaks. I streamed the entire event to Twitch. Last year I used it as an opportunity to clear about 7 games from my backlog.

So this year I'm going to try to set up a special "Enhanced Steam Supporter" badge for anyone that makes a $10 or higher donation to my Extra Life campaign. The money goes 100% to charity through the Children's Miracle Network.

More details (and a list of games I plan on playing) coming soon.

fantomena

Godammit. I received a Steam code so I can reviewe The Walking Dead Season 2, but all of my closest Steam friends either have it on Steam already or on PS3.

Gotta find someone else. Hit me up on Steam if we're friends in case you're interested.

Only requirement is that we are not completely "strangers" (I kinda know who you are), you liked and played season 1 and do not own season 2 on any plattform.

First person get's it. If Im not answering, you're too late.

derExperte

The 560 was midrange when released over three years ago. If you have something older you'll see a huge performance gain for little money when upgrading. Also probably while wasting less energy.

So is Gods Will Be Watching worth going back to after the patch? Less random?

Afaik you can now choose between the original mode, no random events and an easier 'let me experience the story' difficulty.

Sofa King

pls go play The Behemoth's new game, Game 4. Make sure you record it, and provide some impressions as well, PLEASEEEEE :D

Oh, yes. I'll try to record it, but Behemoths booth is usually PACKED! The cool thing is that they usually have their games on standup arcade style machines!

Sofa King

I wish. I've been a huge fan of Penny-Arcade for almost their entire existence and I've always wanted to make it to PAX. There's a chance I could finally do it next year, maybe, if I don't use my vacation to go to other places first :)

It's worth it if only to see it once. If you do, make sure you go all 4 days. Way too much to see in 4 days as it is.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Always looking out for me.
<3
----------
So is Gods Will Be Watching worth going back to after the patch? Less random?

Supposedly, they made some difficulty modes that remove the RNG elements completely as well as one that removes the puzzles themselves so you can just get to the story if you really want. Fairly extreme way to handle things, but honestly it needed to be done.

what kind of game is that anyway, point and click? I remember watching the trailer and I don't think i was able to tell what kind of game it was

Playing the game as it was originally made, it's more of a puzzle game with a lot of trial and error and very little room for said error. It is a series of scenarios that each have wildly different horrible situations to deal with, ranging from being terrorists in charge of a hostage situation to roaming a desert with a starving, dehydrated and unhinged squad. Point & Click is the way to explain how it is controlled, but the actual game is fairly different than that.

kudoboi

oh god an exam paper already? when did you start school?! I'm not going to school this semster cause of financal reasons but the semester didn't even start at my school yet. @_@ thats brutal. But I know the feeling. I've had times where I had a report to do or study for an exam but I really wanted to play a game or something.(1 time this even happened with a final I had, but its k cause I still passed the final :D )

well i have not completed secondary/ high school education yet. Asian education is brutal though. the UK secondary school leaving examinations looks 100x easier than the ones here. some of the chapters are even from A levels in the UK

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
2 down 4 to go on my TWD S2 BLOODBATH. Shiiiiiiitttt.

Mid-ep 5 spoiler question:
let me guess, you cant save look or red head in the lake no matter what. oh well, i ditched em the second i could.

I'm playing with a 5770, could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom