• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey SteamGaf, could you please... cheer me up ?
Gaming wise the end of year looks very bland for me. Not enough exclusivities to warrant a 400$ console purchase, and I would so like to play Sunset Overdrive etc... And on the GPU front, my 560ti is largely past its prime. A new top class GPU would cost me a kidney and it still wouldn't mean that all AAA releases perform in a good way (I'm looking at you Ubi...)
I know graphics aren't the end all be all, and for fuck sake, I know that there are more important matters in life... still could do with a little cheer up :-/

I play games on a 4 years old laptop with an integrated intel video card, the "intensive" games must run at 10fps but I still enjoy playing them. :)

If your 560 Ti is past its prime then mine must be positively ancient. Do all Steamgaffers think like this? Am I out of touch?

I don't think you're the only one. I'm going on 6 years with my HD4850 and can still play a lot of AAA games on medium settings and enjoy them without all the graphical bells and whistles. Been saving up for a new GPU this year too since I know its my system's bottleneck, but expenses and things keep coming up. Maybe by the end of the year I'll get a new mid-range card. Luckily with all the retro/less graphics oriented indie games that have come out, my need for a new card keeps getting pushed back. I do enjoy and appreciate eye candy on the big games though, and get jelly sometimes.

ViviOggi

Oh, if I may insist on a point of my first post: I like indie games, I know they are often wonderful, yes. I know gfx are not what gaming is all about, yes.
But man I love my apples AND my oranges.

Make do with your 560 which is not that old in the first place then. What did you want to hear?

Shadownet

Banned
Supposedly, they made some difficulty modes that remove the RNG elements completely as well as one that removes the puzzles themselves so you can just get to the story if you really want. Fairly extreme way to handle things, but honestly it needed to be done.

Afaik you can now choose between the original mode, no random events and an easier 'let me experience the story' difficulty.

Excellent I might jump back in then. It really turned me off how even on normal back then i couldn't get past the hostage mission, no matter what I did.

Li Kao

There are so many interesting games, old and new, that you can play that don't need an amazing uber PC.

What type of games do you like? :)

Oh please excuse me, I nearly forgot to answer your question. Firstly I would insist on the fact that I have not written my original post to make some bs fanboy post. I'm just in a situation where all solutions seems more or less shitty for me.

Console A (or B) for 400$ with less than five exclusives that appeal to me planned for the end of the year.
Or a GPU that will surely cost me more than 400$ to be able to last a few years. And that is not assured to perform acceptably on the more demanding / poorly optimized games to be released.

I mean, this choice stinks.
And again I know that I will always have indies, I like indies, and my post was in no way made to disparage indies.

I guess I will have to wait for the 800 family announcement to really have a good global view on the matter.

Make do with your 560 which is not that old in the first place then. What did you want to hear?

SteamGaf opinion on the matter. Really, that's all there is to it.

Parsnip

I finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 the other day. This post is a partial rehash of my post from the previous thread, but now that I've completed it, I feel like I should post a proper post. I haven't touched the DLC yet, but I plan to after I finish the Dark Souls 2 DLC that just came out.

header_292x136.jpg

So, I actually liked it a lot more than I expected. The overall impression of it everywhere seemed to be very negative (regardless of what you think about metacritic, 58/100 doesn't exactly inspire confidence), but I ended up liking it quite a bit.

The combat is fun, even though it sometimes feel like the enemies have too many unblockacle moves, so instead of sync blocking you are dodging maybe more than I would prefer. Still, Dracula is nimble and there are enough new moves doled out every now and then to keep things interesting all the way through. Void and Chaos powers replace the light and dark magic from the first game, but more in name than function. You still get orbs from keeping your combat focus going, in order to fill out those magic meters, and one of them is more powerful and the other one is less, but heals with every hit landed. It's essentially the same system as the first LoS, but some very minor differences. Probably the biggest difference with combat is not even directly related to combat, but it's the free camera. And they handle it well, the combat camera is smart most of the time (unlike say, the camera in MGRR), and doesn't get in the way. All the finishers take too long though, I get it, you are Dracula, but suck that blood a little faster, thanks. But overall, good stuff.

Presentation is probably the most uneven thing in the entire package. Environments and locations can be gorgeous, but they can also be fucking boring. Boring sewers and industrial plants, but also gorgeous gothic (or something) architecture and fantastic vistas. Dracula seems incredibly tiny in this world too. The grand scale of everything works well in the non-industrial setting, big majectic doors and windows etc, but in the industrial setting it just looks comical. Music is the same, Araujo does some good work with some tracks, but others are just a big meeh. I remember reading an interview from him where he says that he didn't really have a lot of freedom in the end, that he had tried to approach the music from other angles but was told that it needed to be more cinematic. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. The story is really really dumb, somewhat poorly written, but it does its job of pushing you towards your next objective.

The worst part are the sections where they probably thought that they should add some variety in the gameplay design or something. Obviously the much talked stealth stuff is one part of that. They have absolutely no place in this game, they are just poor. But they are also really easy and short, so I'm not sure how the press was so badly hung up on them. Yes, they suck ass, but it takes like 2 minutes to go through. The elevator action section is dumb as well, again, not because it's hard or anything, but a timed switch to restore power in order to use an elevator is not fun. And I imagine the director had played Uncharted and told that we need something like that, heart pounding set pieces. The results are absolute shit. There's one section where the floor falls under you, push forward and push A for awesome. The entire train section is hot garbage, but especially the part where you dodge the roof lights or whatever. And then there's the QTE's, which you can turn off from the settings. If you played LoS, you'll probably remember that most boss fights had some easy quicktime event sequences in them, sometimes in the middle or in the end, and usually if you failed the boss would gain a little health back, rinse and repeat until you were quick and timely enough. That's still here, but if you turn them off, it will just play that whole section as if you were successful. And I very much recommend it. What does it tell you about this hot feature that they added an option to just disable them?

The game is very linear, but it has a hint of that non-linearity with all the secrets you can find. That speaks to me in some primal level and I can just get lost in the world, just running around and looking behind every corner and such to find everything. It just speaks to me man. Of course I would recommend you do this only after you get all your powers back, can't get them all without all your powers. There's also some combat challenges, and I played through couple tiers of them... but didn't bother with the rest. It gets into a little more complicated stuff than I have patience for (you can only hit this dude while he is frozen, while simultaneously killing smaller dudes every 20 seconds etc etc). For me it takes the fun out of it.

So overall, I'd say my experience with the game is positive. I paid ~20$ for it and I'd say it's worth at least that if not more.

Hugstable

Banned
MORNING EVERYONEEEEEEEEEEE :) Whats everyone doing today? I got no work today and I got 0 intentions of going out today since no one wants to do anything so its game day :3 Think I'm going to play some counterstrike and see if I can beat Kid Icarus(I'm just going to rush through that game tho, I hate the controls with a passion)

Morning Prinny! Are you playing 3DS Classics Kid Icarus or Kid Icarus Uprising? I like both, but Uprising isn't too short to where you can just rush through it, I really looked it though since I found the controls pretty great (They take about 5 chapters to really get used to it though). Also I'm planning to play some Dark Souls 2 later <3

madjoki

Honestly I think the reason comic style cutscenes are popular are the limitations that come with consoles. That way you can have some kind of cutscenes without compressing to hell and back. Play something like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Good looking game but cutscenes look horrible mainly because of heavy compression. That said it works with some games. I quite liked them in Mirror's Edge for example.

Yet Rise of the triad (2013) had these comic cutscenes and was able to compress to make it look shitter than most.

Max Payne 3 had good looking cut scenes /w seamless transition to gameplay. So it's not like they can't look good, but most games want to keep size down or don't bother making better quality videos for PC.

They should just make in-engine cut scenes and solve it for good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of t0rment, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (t0rment, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-8DBC58DE0DDF7DAD - Taken by Sharkiller. 2 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-E27B06262B2AD55B - Taken by fspm. 9 entrants total.

t1409156900z1.png

derExperte

Some tell Rhaknar to come back I miss him =/
It's not as bad as it was anymore.

But what if it's not as bad because he's gone? THEN WHAT? :O

Why did he leave?

MMO addiction I think. You can't help those people, just try to remember the good times and move on.

The Walking Dead: S2 end spoilers
That is unti they decided to double cross Kenny. My man for sure took them out for good. RIP Kenny. The world was too harsh for him.

Wait, did you see them getting killed by Kenny? Clem passes out and that's it. Or did I miss something? Was pretty late when I played it yesterday.

cHinzo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (cHinzo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead: Season Two -- MB-A4A84810973AB9C0 - Taken by Shalashaska. 105 entrants total.

t1409186958z1.png

9 hours to go. :D

Parsnip

Extras from rumble dumble.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:

PixelJunk Eden -- MB-259629965CFD2608 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-21458CE06AB8AF88 - Taken by Vazduh
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-9E54AB6060BB8214 - Taken by vvise

Dr Dogg

that tech DF thread about Metro Redux...sheesh. Some people can't handle their console tech discussions.

Same with every tech discussion ever really. If only people would read this beforehand.

Disclaimer: This is totally tongue in cheek and not meant to start embattled arguments but I find it funny how quite a lot of the time 'discussion' centres around the technology behind games and not the games themselves.

vvise

Update with relaxed rules. Come and get them :)
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (vvise, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crew Beta 1 -- MB-1B69338F6BA0AAE6 - Taken by Sofa King. 3 entrants total.
Crew Beta 2 -- MB-E2CF1A991B40EC6C - Taken by Arucardo. 1 entrants total.
Crew Beta 3 -- MB-E9EB8F7A3C98DEBB - Taken by robotrock. 2 entrants total.

t1409154740z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What are the benefits of getting levels on Steam? Just recognition?

Basically. Every 10 levels you also get a new profile showcase and an increased chance to get a booster pack.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Basically. Every 10 levels you also get a new profile showcase and an increased chance to get a booster pack.

Plus your friends list size is increased by 5 for every level (the default ceiling being 300).

Edit: Beaten, but I have numbers, so ner. ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking of GOG.
They're doing a "last chance before it gets removed from the catalog" sale.

I did a brief fan through it to see which of those games were not on Steam and "Silver" was the only one that jumped to mind:
http://www.gog.com/game/silver

Do they explain why they are removing those games? I saw the list and there were some legit games on it.

It's related to their pricing change, looks like they couldn't come to an agreement with Nordic Games for global pricing

I don't think you're the only one. I'm going on 6 years with my HD4850 and can still play a lot of AAA games on medium settings and enjoy them without all the graphical bells and whistles. Been saving up for a new GPU this year too since I know its my system's bottleneck, but expenses and things keep coming up. Maybe by the end of the year I'll get a new mid-range card. Luckily with all the retro/less graphics oriented indie games that have come out, my need for a new card keeps getting pushed back. I do enjoy and appreciate eye candy on the big games though, and get jelly sometimes.

Right, I've got an HD4870 and my experience is pretty much the same as yours. So far the only thing that it apparently can't handle is Dead Rising 3.

jokkir

Besides that, Level 8 let's you get cards on sale by voting and small extra change on getting boosters on every 10th level.

You can have more friends on Steam the higher your badge level is, and friends with high levels are displayed first on your profile's friend list.

Bigger friends list, apart from the things already mentioned.

Oh nice I didn't know any of that. I have a lot of cards and didn't even bother to do any of the Summer challenges lol. I probably should get around completing those. I've been stuck on Lv13 for a while now

Dr Dogg

It's related to their pricing change, looks like they couldn't come to an agreement with Nordic Games for global pricing

I completely forgot about that and almost had a shock when I saw the store. What is odd is that some titles work out slightly better off paying in £'s while others are better in $'s. Couple that with the exchanges rates shifting as they have done the last couple of months this is going to get a bit of getting used to (well checking before pulling the trigger).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aww, no more Jack Keane 2 jokes. :(

There's actually some pretty big names in that list, wonder why so much stuff is leaving.

GOG switched to local currency and it couldn't reach an agreement with Nordic vis-a-vis pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom