• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They've done little to no change in their most recent games. They should at least make an attempt to try something new. But then again it's TellTale and they get a freepass for it. If this was any other developer people would be more critical of them for following the same cookie cutter formula.
Why should they? Those games are enjoyable for some people, and they are story-oriented, so the gameplay isn't important there. What matters is if the stories are good, and in my opinion they are (at least for The Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us, which are the ones in this format I've played).

Change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing. I really like the formula, and I don't want to see it changed unless it's necessary to tell a better story. As long as it isn't, I'll keep enjoying these games, provided the writing is still good and engaging.

Played about an hour+ of Fistpuncher.
No bueno.

Button inputs are weird. They're delayed...but not really? I just want to push buttons to punch people but sometimes it doesn't register...it all feels kinda off.

The mechanics are poor as well, lots of cheap hits, thrown objects rarely connect, etc.

The worst part is that if this game didn't have experience bars and leveling up I would have dropped it after five minutes.
The music is kinda neat and there's a bit of humor at least.

OH! Also the levels have an interesting bit of variety to them. I'll hold off on using the word good though because some of them look to be very frustrating.

I really enjoy the Telltale games, but I noticed in the last few The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two episodes that free roaming in an area has been almost entirely cut out of the games. It is a straight point A to point B affair, except for perhaps one small place to talk to two or three people. I missed that from the first Walking Dead game, ie. going through the pharmacy or walking around the farm. Having that excised is kind of a bummer, even if the storytelling is still great.

I noticed that as well in TWDse2. I kinda liked it. You know what I would enjoy a
Clementine
Action RPG written by Telltale with you going around kicking ass & gaining XP.

MetalDeer

If you consider mashing a button for a QTE event as good gameplay then I really don't know what to say

Eh, I'll admit Telltale has removed a lot of the old adventure game style stuff in their more recent games. The "inventory" in The Wolf Among Us was pretty much useless, and there's so few points where you can actually control the character and look around, it hurts. Even then, when you do assume control of Bigby, you're usually just restricted to one room/area.

So yeah, I'll agree with you that their games could use some work in the gameplay department. They've basically become 3D visual novels, at this point.
(Coming from someone that loves visual novels)

Quick, Valve, announce New Steam and New Steam LL!
With better battery time, second stick and improved browser.
Seriously, trust me on this.

Salsa on deathwatch?

They should add all the features of Enhanced Steam. I really don't like to browse on the client.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Woody Invincible, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Ship -- MB-68F5A892A5BDEE89 - Taken by mik7697. 1 entrants total.
Murder Miners -- MB-E18C09BA8B3FD9B5 - Taken by Khronico. 3 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-E52BD133B047DE92 - Taken by ctw0e. 2 entrants total.
Space Farmers -- MB-34DEA1F255111E50 - Taken by arts&crafts. 4 entrants total.

t1409326945z1.png

Holy Smokes! A new 3DS was revealed? It says it has a second stick but I can't see it?! And some games will not work on older 3DS systems.
Wow. So much news.
--
Anyhow, who is the nice person who added me on Steam? Can't find Launchpad McRoss in the gaf userbase. Thanks buddy! What a nice change of all the phishing bots :D

Haunted

Around this time next month, I should be able to give you guys a heads up on how Shadow of Mordor runs on a lowly 2500k and 560ti, far under their recommended specs of an i13-8900kzr and 22 square feet of nothing but SLI'ed graphic cards.
I have a 560ti as well, I'm nervously anticipating the first game that won't run satisfactorily.

These cross gen titles are extending its life for now, but it has to happen sooner or later I reckon. :(

Jawmuncher

Awesome. Can't wait for some GAF Endless Lobbies :D

Holy Smokes! A new 3DS was revealed? It says it has a second stick but I can't see it?! And some games will not work on older 3DS systems.
Wow. So much news.
--
Anyhow, who is the nice person who added me on Steam? Can't find Launchpad McRoss in the gaf userbase. Thanks buddy! What a nice change of all the phishing bots :D

He''s right above you.

derExperte

Wow. So much news.
--

It's a mini-stick above the buttons.

Same res? Not sure if I want, let's see how much I can still get for my old one. But wait, I can't sell it right now because I need mine for the system transfer, right?

Enco

Is there not an ini file you can change?

Telltale level of quality, great at storytelling, horrible at bugs.

I used a controller for a bit and then switched back to a mouse and it seems to work in game now.

If I didn't have a controller then yea I would have tried to find an ini or something.

Finished the first episode. That was pretty good. Not as boring as ep1 of TWD1. The scene where
you have to stitch up your arm
has to be one of the most cringe worthy scenes in a game.

Mono

Wow. So much news.
--

That 3DS c-stick looks like it would be awkward to use!

He''s right above you.
Oh right. It's one of his aliases. Thanks Gipsy!
--
Wow, I didn't even see that in the pics. Why didn't they put the same as the one the left? That small stick doesn't look as comfortable.
--
I'm going to wait for the inevitable special edition to come out before I throw down for a 3rd 3DS...
I actually thought a real successor would come out soon, next 2 years max. Why do you have three though? One for each room, ha?

I know this isn't a 3ds thread but we can all understand that splitting a userbase like that is probably not a good idea. They should let the new 3ds exclusive games run on the old 3d with some sort of compromise, like 3d cannot be used on older 3dses or something.

Jawmuncher

That 3DS c-stick looks like it would be awkward to use!

It's looks to be more supplemental than anything.
Camera control and the like it should be fine. Definitely can't see playing shooter with it though.
Shulk in Smash was the Real big news along with the games 3DS port.

-------------------------

Was it ever said why games will have the region tag but DLC doesn't?
I just find it odd you wouldn't just do everything. Is adding a tag that hard do they have to pay for it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I actually thought a real successor would come out soon, next 2 years max. Why do you have three though? One for each room, ha?

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I own a total of five 3DS systems.

I know this isn't a 3ds thread but we can all understand that splitting a userbase like that is probably not a good idea. They should let the new 3ds exclusive games run on the old 3d with some sort of compromise, like 3d cannot be used on older 3dses or something.

Yeah that would be great, but what about the functionality tied to the extra buttons? I could see requiring the Circle Pad Pro for the new analog stick, but what about the new shoulder buttons?

Hugstable

Banned
Camera control and the like it should be fine. Definitely can't see playing shooter with it though.

I just find it odd you wouldn't just do everything. Is adding a tag that hard do they have to pay for it?

I'm a bit torn on all this. It's gonna be near impossible for me to want to get rid of my Zelda 3DS XL LE, but at the same time that new stick actually seems like it might be decent compared to their other/ more bulky option previously, the circle pad pro. Xenoblade 3DS is awesome, but it won't get me to the new 3DS right away since I have the Wii Game, even though it's insanely tempting still. I just wish Xenoblade would work on my dolphin without sound issues, then I wouldn't be stuck playing it in 480p and with a wiimote nunchuku combo

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I used a controller for a bit and then switched back to a mouse and it seems to work in game now.

If I didn't have a controller then yea I would have tried to find an ini or something.

Your issue reminds me of a bug in Fable TLC: when using a widescreen resolution, you can't scroll to the bottom of windows unless you're using the resolution below your native one (e.g. 1680x1024 rather than 1680x1050). At least Microsoft has the excuse that the game released in 2005. ;)

Enco

Your issue reminds me of a bug in Fable TLC: when using a widescreen resolution, you can't scroll to the bottom of windows unless you're using the resolution below your native one (e.g. 1680x1024 rather than 1680x1050). At least Microsoft has the excuse that the game released in 2005. ;)
:lol It's kinda crazy why this issue exists.

Sure it won't affect 90% of people but there's no reason it shouldn't be fixed.

iosefe

Shulk confirmed means Duck Hunt dog confirmed.

Mono

Same res? Not sure if I want, let's see how much I can still get for my old one. But wait, I can't sell it right now because I need mine for the system transfer, right?

Apparantly Nintendo will transfer everything registered on your Club Nintendo account to a new 3DS if you bother their support enough, but there's no way I would risk that!

Jawmuncher

I'm a bit torn on all this. It's gonna be near impossible for me to want to get rid of my Zelda 3DS XL LE, but at the same time that new stick actually seems like it might be decent compared to their other/ more bulky option previously, the circle pad pro. Xenoblade 3DS is awesome, but it won't get me to the new 3DS right away since I have the Wii Game, even though it's insanely tempting still. I just wish Xenoblade would work on my dolphin without sound issues, then I wouldn't be stuck playing it in 480p and with a wiimote nunchuku combo

I have to try my copy on Dolphin. Since I tried to play it on my WiiU and the jaggies were pure hell to me.

Shulk confirmed means Duck Hunt dog confirmed.

But still no snake :(

---------------------------

Wonder what other PC game pages are going to go up at PAX Prime.
I think we'll be in for at least 1 surprise.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apparently you people don't stop at collecting games but venture into hardware,too. Wonder if JaseC does hardware as well? Anyway, pretty jelly of you all :p

I'm going to try to resist posting pictures of my "gaming library". ;)

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I own a total of five 3DS systems.

Yeah that would be great, but what about the functionality tied to the extra buttons? I could see requiring the Circle Pad Pro for the new analog stick, but what about the new shoulder buttons?

doesn't the circle pad already feature those buttons? I think it might. not sure, don't own the 3ds or the circle pad.

Hugstable

Banned
I have to try my copy on Dolphin. Since I tried to play it on my WiiU and the jaggies were pure hell to me.

But still no snake :(

---------------------------

Wonder what other PC game pages are going to go up at PAX Prime.
I think we'll be in for at least 1 surprise.

That's why I've always tried to play it on Dolphin, but those sound crackles just get to me and I've never found a way to actually get rid of them. Everyone keeps saying Dolphin should have already fixed it, but it never really has for me :(

The new 3DS is actually called "New 3DS"? Nintendo really need to work on their console naming.

Nintendo is terrible at naming, Wii U, new 3DS, it sounds like something someone would make as a joke.

Unfortunately I don't care anymore, I decided to not buy anything else from Nintendo after the Wii.

MUnited83

For you.
At this point I don't know if I should wait for the New 3DS LL or just wait for the next Nintendo Handheld and hope that's compatible with 3DS games.

Jawmuncher

That's why I've always tried to play it on Dolphin, but those sound crackles just get to me and I've never found a way to actually get rid of them. Everyone keeps saying Dolphin should have already fixed it, but it never really has for me :(

Even with the newest build?
I'm actually going to try it out right now.

Vuze

Apparently you people don't stop at collecting games but venture into hardware,too. Wonder if JaseC does hardware as well? Anyway, pretty jelly of you all :p

3DSes are just so easy to collect for some reason (cheap? many designs? regionlock?). I also own three ;-;
1x EU normal cosmo black
1x JP normal white with fancy custom stickers
1x JP LL Gore Magala LE

I might get the New 3DS normal one, LL doesn't feature swapping covers, is more expensive and the normal one has improved screensize as well iirc.

jshackles

doesn't the circle pad already feature those buttons? I think it might. not sure, don't own the 3ds or the circle pad.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. So yeah I guess it might be doable. I really think they should have just called it something different though, even if they named it 3DS2 or something equally terrible. "New 3DS" has got to be the worst possible name imaginable.

Nintendo is terrible at naming, Wii U, new 3DS, it sounds like something someone would make as a joke.

Unfortunately I don't care anymore, I decided to not buy anything else from Nintendo after the Wii.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. So yeah I guess it might be doable. I really think they should have just called it something different though, even if they named it 3DS2 or something equally terrible. "New 3DS" has got to be the worst possible name imaginable.

If i had to take a wild guess, they're trying to do what Apple did when the New ipad was announced. Nintendo continues to take pages from Cupertino's best.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Having checked the photos I actually really love the coloured buttons, but there's zero chance I'll be picking one up. I don't have a regular 3DS either. I loved the DS, but times have changed. I have Steam now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I have an NDS that I've never played, a Wii with a busted sensor bar and an X360 that I've been meaning to sell. My PS3 died early last year.

saunderez

Having checked the photos I actually really love the coloured buttons, but there's zero chance I'll be picking one up. I don't have a regular 3DS either. I loved the DS, but times have changed. I have Steam now.
It's the biggest load of shit I've ever seen. Nintendo couldn't support a system if their life depended on it. I own 3DS XL and it's the last Nintendo system I'll ever buy. They have no concept of supporting existing owners they just want to ditch and move on as fast as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom