• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's the biggest load of shit I've ever seen. Nintendo couldn't support a system if their life depended on it. I own 3DS XL and it's the last Nintendo system I'll ever buy. They have no concept of supporting existing owners they just want to ditch and move on as fast as possible.

It'd be slightly better for existing owners if there was any way to migrate purchases, but seeing as Nintendo seem dead set against anyone having an account that they can move to another system it'll never happen.

Copons

So, a couple of hours ago I wrote this:

Well after being demoted to under-500-games when Valve removed all f2p +1s, I got back to 497 and in the end decided to fill the remaining gap with the Adult Swim bundle cheapest tier.
And I made sure that my 500 game was Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, just because yesterday derExperte was all omfg it's the best game ever everyone buy it or something.

So if it sucks instead, I'm gonna be SO pissed off with not only him but his entire nation, to the point I'll start calling all German people I know (and the thousands of people who emigrated from Rome to Berlin) with the immortal words Mr. Berlusconi stated about their chancellor: "unfuckable lardass".

Now, I tried Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, and holy crap it's AWESOME.
It's totally the kind of game you just can't stop playing. Like, NEVER.
Perfect mixture of old school gameplay and modern twisted concepts (as in role reversal); it controls beautifully, it's hard but not frustrating, when you pick up gold shards (or whatever), diamonds and everything else it's very satisfying, and on top of it all, it's a perfect game for short bursts.
This is the kind of game I would have trashed every last coin into its coin op in late 80s/early 90s.

For those who doesn't know what this is about: it's a platform game set in a block-drop puzzle stage.
You have to avoid or shoot falling stuff. If you destroy a block lying near other blocks of the same colors you obtain more stuff. Picking up stuff leads to levelling up, meaning your gun is more powerful.
The more you proceed, the more "dangerous" stuff drops down.
That's it, basically, but in a perfect arcade fashion, it could virtually offer endless joy.

Great game, really.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Having checked the photos I actually really love the coloured buttons, but there's zero chance I'll be picking one up. I don't have a regular 3DS either. I loved the DS, but times have changed. I have Steam now.

The lack of a unified account from Nintendo is the primary reason why I buy 95% of my Nintendo games physically. When they first came out with the Wii (and eShop) I went nuts buying stuff because I didn't realize it was tied to my console. Sure enough, the console went tits up and I lost about $300 worth of Virtual Console stuff. Now the only things I download from the eShop on either my 3DS or Wii U are free things they give me for registering my physical games, like Pikman 3 for buying Mario Kart 8 or that Wario Ware game I got for being a Club Nintendo platinum user.

"Enhanced Steam: It's really not worse than our own customer support" - Gabe Newell

More like "Enhanced Steam? Most of my employees use it so I guess I should check that out at some point." - Gabe Newell

Jawmuncher

I'm hoping for some info on Telltale's Game of Thrones game!

Yeah some new TT news would be great. I know we'll be seeing Tales from Borderlands.
Really wondering how that's going to turn out.

Actually I should maybe try it again, haven't tried to run it since I built my computer in May, don't know if there has been any new builds/releases since then.

Yeah there's a new one just downloaded it.

Hugstable

Banned
The lack of a unified account from Nintendo is the primary reason why I buy 95% of my Nintendo games physically. When they first came out with the Wii (and eShop) I went nuts buying stuff because I didn't realize it was tied to my console. Sure enough, the console went tits up and I lost about $300 worth of Virtual Console stuff. Now the only things I download from the eShop on either my 3DS or Wii U are free things they give me for registering my physical games, like Pikman 3 for buying Mario Kart 8 or that Wario Ware game I got for being a Club Nintendo platinum user.

I'm like a weird anomoly, I might be the only All Digital gamer on all my consoles.... including my 3DS and Wii U. I'm just banking on my systems never breaking and always having a way to transfer my games over, but I thought I was gonna be safe on having to buy any more 3DS after I got my Zelda 3DS XL :(

Arthea

3DSes are just so easy to collect for some reason (cheap? many designs? regionlock?). I also own three ;-;
1x EU normal cosmo black
1x JP normal white with fancy custom stickers
1x JP LL Gore Magala LE

I might get the New 3DS normal one, LL doesn't feature swapping covers, is more expensive and the normal one has improved screensize as well iirc.

I don't even care for handhelds anymore, but I'll be damned if that 3DS isn't beautiful to look at, you don't even need games when you have something like this!
I kid, I kid, but really it is gorgeous.

edited: also congratulations, jshackles, nice coverage on PC world, btw.

It's probably cheaper for them just to crib from Enhanced Steam piecemeal.

BUT if their market and inventory systems were better I would sell more cards and they would make more profit! As it stands it is so frustrating I only put a few up at a time before I burst a blood vessel.

saunderez

It'd be slightly better for existing owners if there was any way to migrate purchases, but seeing as Nintendo seem dead set against anyone having an account that they can move to another system it'll never happen.
I honestly think until Iwata is gone Nintendo is on a path to nowhere. The man clearly has no direction for the company and is trying to emulate Apple of all companies. Why they'd try and emulate their biggest competitor is beyond me.

Cheddahz

Banned
The whole idea of a "new" 3DS and games made for it can only be played on it sickens me. I mean, I only paid $35 for my 3DS XL (thank you KMart) and I'm not looking to spend any more on a handheld for a long time

Arthea

Talking about Nintendo, never say never, but I don't see myself buying new 3DS, nor WiiU if that matters.

edited: on topic of Telltale's gameplay decisions. Me being the main hater of said gameplay or lack of it, I must say I got used to it, it's still bad, but bearable now.
I tried to get myself to warm to it in anticipation of GoT, of course.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition -- MB-B3E03AE3F0611328 - Taken by topyy. 35 entrants total.

t1409329405z1.png

Khronico

So, a couple of hours ago I wrote this:

Now, I tried Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, and holy crap it's AWESOME.
It's totally the kind of game you just can't stop playing. Like, NEVER.
Perfect mixture of old school gameplay and modern twisted concepts (as in role reversal); it controls beautifully, it's hard but not frustrating, when you pick up gold shards (or whatever), diamonds and everything else it's very satisfying, and on top of it all, it's a perfect game for short bursts.
This is the kind of game I would have trashed every last coin into its coin op in late 80s/early 90s.

For those who doesn't know what this is about: it's a platform game set in a block-drop puzzle stage.
You have to avoid or shoot falling stuff. If you destroy a block lying near other blocks of the same colors you obtain more stuff. Picking up stuff leads to levelling up, meaning your gun is more powerful.
The more you proceed, the more "dangerous" stuff drops down.
That's it, basically, but in a perfect arcade fashion, it could virtually offer endless joy.

Great game, really.

Speaking of Puzzle Platformer Deluxe...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Khronico, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Soundodger Plus -- MB-A58D66CE45201809 - Taken by Jadax
Van Helsing Complete -- MB-E4C0BC7801191CAE - Taken by pupo
Super Puzzle Platformer -- MB-C671DEB10BC352D5 - Taken by GaussTek
Deadlight -- MB-183147AF582FCC0D - Taken by darkchewie

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Divius, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Divius, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-9E2AFCF3E1B789DC - Taken by SSPssp. 7 entrants total.

t1409329406z1.png

Enco

For a Billion dollar corporation, you would think they could hire someone to make the Steam interface more user friendly.
Is it hats or cards?
Will it make lots of money?
Can our fans do the work instead of us?

If you get 3 'no' answers, you know Valve won't do it.

If you get 1 or 2 'no' answers, it'll probably take a few years.

If you get 0 'no' answers, Valve will probably do it in a few months

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm like a weird anomoly, I might be the only All Digital gamer on all my consoles.... including my 3DS and Wii U. I'm just banking on my systems never breaking and always having a way to transfer my games over, but I thought I was gonna be safe on having to buy any more 3DS after I got my Zelda 3DS XL :(

I would love to trust Nintendo again with stuff like that, I just can't. I'm (quite obviously) not opposed to having an all-digital library. In fact since I've got my PS Vita my PSN account is starting to look respectable. My household has a total of 5 3DS systems but over the years we've had two of them die and one that got stolen (so I've purchased a total of 8, damn).

I have one 3DS that has the ambassador games on it - it'd be nice if I could sign into a different 3DS (like my XL) and play them. I know I could try to transfer them but I don't even trust that process - I've heard horror stories where games like that simply vanish into thin air. And then if I wanted to play them on another system I'd have to transfer them yet again (if such a thing is even allowed?)

It'd be great if I could just sign in to the new system and have access to my library of games digitally if I decided to buy the "New 3DS". At least I'll still have my physical cartridges.

Hugstable

Banned
I would love to trust Nintendo again with stuff like that, I just can't. I'm (quite obviously) not opposed to having an all-digital library. In fact since I've got my PS Vita my PSN account is starting to look respectable. My household has a total of 5 3DS systems but over the years we've had two of them die and one that got stolen (so I've purchased a total of 8, damn).

I have one 3DS that has the ambassador games on it - it'd be nice if I could sign into a different 3DS (like my XL) and play them. I know I could try to transfer them but I don't even trust that process - I've heard horror stories where games like that simply vanish into thin air. And then if I wanted to play them on another system I'd have to transfer them yet again (if such a thing is even allowed?)

It'd be great if I could just sign in to the new system and have access to my library of games digitally if I decided to buy the "New 3DS". At least I have my physical cartridges.

See this is why Nintendo really needs to get on their game and finally create a true account system. I pretty much went this way due to pure convenience for the moment, but an account system is almost necessary and I understand why so many people just won't trust going digital yet on a Nintendo system. Too much of a risk for systems especially a 3DS which you always carry around, because if it ever breaks, good luck still doing a system transfer. I know they got NNID and some people have gotten lucky on having them transfer, but they really really need to set up a system where you can just log onto your account, go online on a new system and be able to download your games again.

This is actually one of the reasons I'm held off on the new 3DS hype. Not only do I like my Zelda 3DS XL, but if I ever wanted to sell it to help fund myself getting the new 3DS, i'm pretty much screwed on all my digital games unless I do something like sell it to Gamestop right on the spot during the new 3DS release, in which they probably won't have any trade in deals at all and I would end up with crap all in credit for it.

Zia

I have three Badges I'd like to get rid of. Apparently Valve won't remove then, so I'm not sure whether to abandon my account and create a new one, or disembowel myself.

Arthea

Is it hats or cards?
Will it make lots of money?
Can our fans do the work instead of us?

If you get 3 'no' answers, you know Valve won't do it.

If you get 1 or 2 'no' answers, it'll probably take a few years.

If you get 0 'no' answers, Valve will probably do it in a few months

I wouldn't even mind such attitude that much, there are some enthusiasts, like jshackles or Jasec to made things better and easier. What really scares me is their customer support or lack of it, what if I was to run in some serious problem, like for example being falsely accused or banned what seems not that impossible in light of latest events, I would be totally helpless. Maybe valve don't see it as the end of the world if someone can't access their games or play for couple of weeks, I certainly don't share those views.

My ambassador games have been on three different consoles. They transferred easily enough and I think they've removed the limit of only allowing 5 transfers.

For the Wii virtual console games that you lost, Nintendo can transfer the licenses from a broken console to a new one. They have to "verify" the first one is broken.

Their system is rubbish and I don't buy digital games from them because of it but there are ways of getting them to give you your games back.

Turfster

Damn, missed out on a gamersgate 93% off splinter cell games thing.
That's what I get for sleeping, I guess.

Didn't read all the scrollback (too much nintendo crap =p), so these might be repeats but:

Bird Assassin is now available through Desura if you got Indie Royale Golden Jubilee

Tomb Raider games are 75% off at GetGamesGo
Total War franchise 75% off at Gamersgate
Euro Truck Simulator franchise is 50-75% off at Games Republic
Sword of the Stars The Pit is 75% off on Desura (comes with Steam key)
Borderlands Franchise Pack is 71% off on GMG

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I have three Badges I'd like to get rid of. Apparently Valve won't remove then, so I'm not sure whether to abandon my account and create a new one, or disembowel myself.

That's a dark road that leads down to thinking that Miley Cyrus is too curvy, my friend.

GaussTek

I will join the new 3DS hype train for a bit.

I know this isn't a 3ds thread but we can all understand that splitting a userbase like that is probably not a good idea. They should let the new 3ds exclusive games run on the old 3d with some sort of compromise, like 3d cannot be used on older 3dses or something.

That would be ideal, although I don't really think there will be a lot of exclusives, unless this is Nintendo's new plan to release revisions of their hardware from here on -just like Apple-. If that isn't the case (probably won't), I'll just skip this one and I'll wait for the real 3DS successor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom