• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If i had to rank them, The series goes something like this

COD4≥MW2>BLOPS>>BLOPS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else.

BLOPS 1 had the best sized MP maps outside of COD4, but MW2's level of absurd chaos made it so that i put over 8 days worth of play time in the MP.

Missed this post.

In a modern context: MW2 is, without hyperbole, the most fucked multiplayer game I've played on the PC. People love to complain about hackers in these games, but the online system of MW2 is such a mess that you will basically never play a fair game.

It is absolutely worthless in a modern context.

It has none of the characteristics of an arena shooter.

Quake and CoD share almost nothing similar outside of it's perspective.

Pretty amazing considering COD is based off the Quake engine.

Regardless, how do you define an arena shooter and how is Quake one but COD isn't?

Shadownet

Banned
One more for the road!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sanic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-B81A02639B550598 - Taken by Vuze. 9 entrants total.

t1409338227z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Odd in that even when it came out the online was dead.
They could have gotten away with never patching it and I doubt there would have been any fuss over it.

Even so, Capcom couldn't have left a relatively new release in a half-broken state.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just picked up a GeForce GTX 750 Ti for $95 which felt like a steal. I guess it also comes with $150 of in-game currency for Path of Exile (which I'll use), Heroes of Newearth, and Warface (which I won't).

It's going into a gaming rig (not mine) that currently has a much older card (a low end card from about... 4 years ago) so it should be quite the improvement.

Omega

Banned
Pretty amazing considering COD is based off the Quake engine.

Regardless, how do you define an arena shooter and how is Quake one but COD isn't?

When you mention arena shooter, games like Quake and Unreal instantly come to mind.

Quake has

• Health pickups
  • Armor pickups
  • Weapon pickups
  • times on these pickups
  • can hold more than 2 guns

Calladuty has

• Regen health
  • Loadouts
  • Can only hold 2 guns
  • killstreaks
  • perks

These games couldn't be any more different. Just because CoD uses a modified Quake engine doesn't mean it's an arena shooter.

Freezard

Duplicate.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Freezard, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Legend of Grimrock -- MB-5E0354DB2CBA86E3 - Taken by DJSebolski

Some impressions for Heileen 3: New Horizons

Do you want Senpai-rate to notice you? Then this is the game for you! ...Okay, that's actually not fair.

The graphics: Not bad. All the characters have the impossible-standard faces and bodies, except for a handful you can't romance that look average or overweight. Professions are done with the main character in a "chibi" style. Backgrounds look nice...no real complaints here.

The music: A few good tunes. One even has lyrics. Not that the lyrics are that complicated or interesting. The main track gets a bit repetitive but luckily random events with different tracks happen frequently enough to break the monotony.

The gameplay: It's a raising sim, albeit a more simplistic one. For those of you familiar with Long Live the Queen, you'll remember that the princess had two classes a day, then one activity in the evening to change her moods and make education more efficient. In Heileen 3, you choose one activity per day, and maybe you'll get a random event. There are 21 possible activities: 7 build up one basic skill, and 14 secondary skills are only available if you have two basic skills to the requisite levels. In my case, I chose cooking (oddly enough, the least-won achievement.) In order to start it, you need to build up endurance through navigation, and dexterity through lookout duty. Once your secondary skill levels up, you have to go back and level your basic skills. Level your secondary skill enough, and you can unlock the ending for that job...as long as you have the correct virtue or sin. Changing your virtues and sins are through story decisions. Some are more obvious than others: in order to be a cook, I had to follow the sin of gluttony so when given the choice to "eat more cake" or "limit yourself," it becomes a no-brainer. Other decisions are less clear: choosing to try to save your friend in a desperate situation may activate the sin of pride since you believe yourself capable of saving her.

Overall, if you're going for a job ending, it's quite easy. You're given 600 days to reach an ending and I finished in less than half that (four hours of gameplay.) I didn't reach any romance endings - there are four men and even four women you can romantically pursue - but those seem to be more time-intensive to achieve: by the time I got to my job ending, my highest relationship was in the low 60s when it needed to be 90.

My biggest quibble with the gameplay would have to be the invitation system. You're allowed to bring one of the other crew members to assist you in a secondary job, and some will give benefits to your learning, and some will take it away. Only thing is, you're not allowed to invite someone until you've found all your friends. This seems to run counter to one of the screenshots. But that said, once you find everyone, why would you want to invite anyone except the person they explained was an expert at it? Why cook with anyone except the cook? Maybe it sets up other random events, or advances romance, I don't know, but it seems kinda pointless to risk that.

The story: Don't expect the intricacies of LLTQ. Don't expect to plunder or pillage anything either. You're apparently a young woman who was on a voyage with your rich uncle and your friends, shipwrecked, and then saved by pirates. It's not made entirely clear whether the captain kept you on board because he was compassionate towards your plight or just wanted to get his D wet. Anyway, the first part of the game is an "Avengers Assemble" of finding your friends. "I looked everywhere and couldn't find them! Now let's go into this hugely popular tavern and WHAAA? My friend has been dancing here all along?" After you find them all (and that takes a little over 100 days) you're given the 600 day timer as the captain agrees to avoid all other ships to protect you, under the guise of searching for a big diamond.

Knowledge of the previous games only appeared to help in one instance: the captain asks which of your missing companions you miss the most. Then you're given four names, three of which I hadn't seen yet. My rationale: "Oh, this one name I've seen, that was my uncle. I should probably miss my family the most. Blood is thicker than water, and all that." *click* "Oh, I miss my rich uncle because he gives me all sorts of things!" *sin of greed* "Well, shit." If that sounds superficial to you, that's the tone for the rest of the game: everyone seems to live fancy-free. This pirate has agreed to cut off his main source of income for two years, but nobody appears to want for anything. Nobody gets scurvy, nobody dares to scoop up some brackish seawater because they're too thirsty, and when the other white pirates bully your two black friends, you immediately assume it's because the black friends are still wearing their shoddy clothes from the shipwreck, and beg the captain to give them new clothes! And that works! Maybe I should be taking this on its face as "a game for young girls," but seriously, what kind of weak-ass pirate captain wouldn't tie those bullies to the riggings and/or lash them? Or tell the friends to cowboy up and fight back to earn respect? Anyway, the story is a lot of romance and/or jealousy, You might be macking four guys AND four chicks at the same time, but how DARE one of them like another! *sin of envy* Damn it!

The verdict: It might sound like I'm skewering this game, but in all honesty, it's...not bad. It's okay. If it was more pirate-y and more complex, I'd be heartily recommending it. As it stands, it might be alright as a "my first raising sim" or, based on the most popular achievement, a "let's see if I can get the main character to bang the hot first mate chick" sim. Not without its flaws, but I won't tell you to avoid this one.

SSPssp

I just picked up a GeForce GTX 750 Ti for $95 which felt like a steal. I guess it also comes with $150 of in-game currency for Path of Exile (which I'll use), Heroes of Newearth, and Warface (which I won't).

It's going into a gaming rig (not mine) that currently has a much older card (a low end card from about... 4 years ago) so it should be quite the improvement.

Awesome! That's a great price for the card. I really like mine. Also, i think the newearth code might still get you at least 5 bucks on ebay. It was getting 10 bucks a couple months back.

Asgaro

Enjoy my first giveaway. :)
I have more stuff coming up in the future, but I'll work in batches of 5 games each probably.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-48F355857FB86D3A - Taken by WinterDemons. 7 entrants total.
Magicka with DLC -- MB-004A020029BFCD70 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 1 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-FE0CD22338700565 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-2CC9CC6E43B166D0 - Taken by Pop. 3 entrants total.
Sanctum 2 -- MB-16D3934388760D37 - Taken by Ventara. 2 entrants total.

t1409348486z1.png

def sim

If I understand it correctly, an arena shooter has pre-determined weapon placements/spawns in maps and the play has a focus on controlling the area containing them. Modern COD uses load outs and the kill streaks encourage a more forward approach, making them kind of a different thing. Both are fast paced, twitch shooters though not necessarily the same kind of competitive game.

As an aside, this is generally the reason Halo fans do not like 4.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome! That's a great price for the card. I really like mine. Also, i think the newearth code might still get you at least 5 bucks on ebay. It was getting 10 bucks a couple months back.

Sweet I'll definitely look into putting the extra codes on eBay and seeing how they do. I'm mostly an AMD guy so hopefully getting everything configured shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've just heard really good things about these cards, and thought the price was great and decided to take the plunge on it.

Shadownet

Banned
Well that's sweet. I was going to give Vuze, Sonic Racing. Because he's one of the few people on my friends list that didn't have it. Decided I should raffle it instead. But he ended up winning it anyway.

Modbot knows.

Congrats Vuze!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Some impressions for Heileen 3: New Horizons

Do you want Senpai-rate to notice you? Then this is the game for you! ...Okay, that's actually not fair...

The verdict: It might sound like I'm skewering this game, but in all honesty, it's...not bad. It's okay. If it was more pirate-y and more complex, I'd be heartily recommending it. As it stands, it might be alright as a "my first raising sim" or, based on the most popular achievement, a "let's see if I can get the main character to bang the hot first mate chick" sim. Not without its flaws, but I won't tell you to avoid this one.

Well, at least that sounds way better than the first one. Thanks for the impressions.

Why do we need a new thread every month? Just let this one fill up.

It's mainly to keep in line with the other monthly threads on Gaf, like the Nintendo downloads and PSN network threads, I think.

fantomena

Once again it happened. I just received an order confirmed from gamersGate for Awesomenauts - Private Mels for 0.31$. What the fuck is happening? I did not buy it.

maty

New Super Meat Boy announced

:D

Auto Runner

:/

I like auto runner games like Bit Trip Runner, even 100% both of them. But that's not what I expected from SMB.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Once again it happened. I just received an order confirmed from gamersGate for Awesomenauts - Private Mels for 0.31$. What the fuck is happening? I did not buy it.

...did you change your password after it happened the first time?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I really have a lot to read in this thread...

Also, about to buy all the F1 games in Gamersgate (save for 2013 that one can wait), someone very likely mentioned it already but for those that like to get removed games, Clive Barker's Jericho is on sale and activates on Steam.

iosefe

Well that's sweet. I was going to give Vuze, Sonic Racing. Because he's one of the few people on my friends list that didn't have it. Decided I should raffle it instead. But he ended up winning it anyway.

Modbot knows.

Congrats Vuze!
Huzzah

When's the next race night?

Mono

Modbot knows.

Congrats Vuze!

ModBot is self aware, confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom