• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Damn! First I hear US folks getting 3DS for 35$ and now a 750Ti for 95$. It's gotta be so nice living in a place where stuff is so much cheaper than in OG-mean-ass-DE-Europe. It's really much more expensive here.

Tell me about it. I see people on the PC Building thread recommending nice 500$ builds that would cost around 900$ or more over here.

Mono

I forgot to put the autorepost rule on this, oops!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Five Nights at Freddy's -- MB-BD63A1E872270A4C - Taken by The Dear Leader. 30 entrants total.

t1409345486z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Divorce is not yet finalized but close though. No kids which is the great thing. She didn't want the house which is also a great thing.

But overall, this is probably the hardest thing I've gone through in my life. Managing work, school and this divorce stuff my stress has never been higher.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

I've been where you're at man and the best solace I can give is that it just keeps getting easier. I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect getting divorced was the best thing that ever happened to me.

FloatOn

I've been where you're at man and the best solace I can give is that it just keeps getting easier. I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect getting divorced was the best thing that ever happened to me.

This is why steamgaf is the best gaf. I really appreciate it jshackles. I've got some divorced friends that say the same thing.

I'm pretty much over hating/blaming myself for things falling apart. I realize people change. It just really sucks that after everything is final it's a very real possibility that I will never see her again. I've known her my whole life and I'm not saying that I want to be best friends with her or anything but still, there is this massive void and I'm just trying to stay busy as hell as to not acknowledge it.

Divorce is not yet finalized but close though. No kids which is the great thing. She didn't want the house which is also a great thing.
But overall, this is probably the hardest thing I've gone through in my life. Managing work, school and this divorce stuff my stress has never been higher.
Thanks for the positive vibes.
You work and go to school. And on top of that this happens in your private life. I truly feel for you. You know, if you need to vent or just talk, feel free to pm me here or on Steam. Even if the internet is pretty anon and nothing is truly earnest, sometimes people do care. If there's one thing I have learned since I started here on gaf and especially making friends with the very people here in this thread, then it's that everybody has some serious problems in their lives going on. Of course this saddens me but on the other side it makes the people here much more understanding and empathetic towards others.
PS: Your avatar creeps me out ;)
--
This one is kind of a fluke since it involved stacking multiple discounts (a coupon code, a one-time use coupon, and a rebate) so that typically falls into the category of "is this a price mistake? Will they actually honor it?".
So you had to work a bit to get to the price. Well earned then.

You know there should be a Turfster-clone who specializes in hardware deals in a separate thread.

Anyone have ANY idea how to do AA in State of Decay with AMD not borking things?
Do the in-game settings not have AA options or is AMD that bad support-wise. Can't imagine the game devs not having tested for AMD at all. You should maybe take a look in the PC-building thread. They are more hardware savvy.

2+ hours now on Fistpuncher.

It isn't great or anything, but I'm warming up to it.
That insidious blend of level-ups, short levels, and some other stuff has made this rather addicting.

Still though, 2+ hours could have been better spent on play-throughs of four quality arcade beatemups.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is why steamgaf is the best gaf. I really appreciate it jshackles. I've got some divorced friends that say the same thing.

I'm pretty much over hating/blaming myself for things falling apart. I realize people change. It just really sucks that after everything is final it's a very real possibility that I will never see her again. I've known her my whole life and I'm not saying that I want to be best friends with her or anything but still, there is this massive void and I'm just trying to stay busy as hell as to not acknowledge it.

That sucks man, really. If you ever need to talk about things feel free to hit me up on Steam or send me a PM. I'm sending non-religious, non-denominational positive thoughts your way.

lukiluk

Huh. It's showing 5.99£ in Europe, and the UK promotion site is active.
US one should be active too, but I can't check because of their inane regioned servers.

I'm from Poland, and redirected to uk site. But still show me a 19.99, and it's expensive for me. Maybe next time I can get that game.
Anyway thanks for heads up.

Turfster

Dr Dogg

Oh LocoCycle you tease. The launch options splash screen has a 32bit DX9 or a 64bit DX11 set of executable option but the 32bit DX9 button for the option is super low res were as the 64bit DX11 is all lovely and crisp.

What the heck happened with LocoCycle? I remember the initial hype Xbox launch takers and then it kind of died. Is it any good? I didn't even know it was on steam.

I'll have to do a longer impressions post at some point, but good gravy, Risk of Rain is freaking incredible. I can already see a point where it will start to wear thin and I'll move on, but right now I'm so very much hooked on this. That little meter slowly ticking up the difficulty on the right side is genius. It keeps you from using any slow motion cheese tactics to advance, which is what usually would kill a game like this for me. Love it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
When you mention arena shooter, games like Quake and Unreal instantly come to mind.

Quake has

• Health pickups
  • Armor pickups
  • Weapon pickups
  • times on these pickups
  • can hold more than 2 guns

Calladuty has

• Regen health
  • Loadouts
  • Can only hold 2 guns
  • killstreaks
  • perks

These games couldn't be any more different. Just because CoD uses a modified Quake engine doesn't mean it's an arena shooter.

If I understand it correctly, an arena shooter has pre-determined weapon placements/spawns in maps and the play has a focus on controlling the area containing them. Modern COD uses load outs and the kill streaks encourage a more forward approach, making them kind of a different thing. Both are fast paced, twitch shooters though not necessarily the same kind of competitive game.

As an aside, this is generally the reason Halo fans do not like 4.

I think the thing is, is that I see those differences as minor permutations on a basic concept. It's like we've allowed one game to define what a thing can be and any deviation from it makes it something else. It's like if we only ever allowed Doom clones to be called first person shooters and any game that separates player movement from aiming is something drastically different.

However, at its core i think the Call of Duty games still embody the most important design aspects of the label: fast-paced gameplay with unrealistic movement speeds in an enclosed, relatively small battle arena.

Depending on the COD game being discussed, the series has included most of the features presented as comprising the "arena shooter" genre.

1) Health pick-ups. I don't think the series has had this, to be honest.
2) Armor pick-ups. This has sometimes been given as an option for a player to drop for the team. But it must be chosen as a streak.
3) Weapon pick-ups. While not predefined, most of the entries in the series allow you to pickup guns off the ground.
4) Hold more than 2 guns. In Black Ops 2, for example, you can walk out with more than 5 different ways to kill a player (2 main guns (not including potential accessories like a grenade launcher), C4, grenades, and knife). Not to mention the fact that you can pick-up new guns off the ground, making the weapons-held complaint fairly inconsequential.

I don't see why a game having a loadout or killstreaks instantly renders it a non-arena shooter, when it is just a series-specific tweak on a similar gameplay concept. Hell, most of the things listed as genre-defining are server options given to you to check off in the original games, so not even those hold steadfast to many of the things listed.

Oh well will you look st that, I won the walking dead season 2, thats pretty dope! Now I HAVE to beat 400 days. Thing is though that my save got lost :( I dont want the game to just pick random choices when I play 400 days, is there a site with a bunch of different saves so I can pick the one closest to mines?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of DocSeuss, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DocSeuss, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Defense Grid -- MB-549CA94FC9196227
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-13FA24AE3E8792E3
Defense Grid: Containment -- MB-D00401D342DB69E5

t1409387065z1.png

dot

I finally got my internet set up, and i'm (kinda) moved in to my new house. I got my Ariana cd in the mail today and a Yatagarasu alpha key?! :eek:

It's sad that today has been the best day for me in quite some time.

I missed the internet so much. ;-; Oh, and you guys too i guess. B-bakas!

Looks like i missed quite a lot of stuff since i've been gone....(not that anyone noticed)

OT:
Pokken Tournament and a new 3DS? New Saints Row too? whaaaat

Brilliant! \o/ I was hoping that would be automatic now.

Who are you?!

I'm glad you're still here. ♥

Time to catch up on uh...6000 posts.

jshackles

Oh well will you look st that, I won the walking dead season 2, thats pretty dope! Now I HAVE to beat 400 days. Thing is though that my save got lost :( I dont want the game to just pick random choices when I play 400 days, is there a site with a bunch of different saves so I can pick the one closest to mines?

I'm not sure about a website, but this reddit thread seems to have quite a few save downloads available. Hope you can find one that kinda-sorta matches yours.

Mono

I finally got my internet set up, and i'm (kinda) moved in to my new house. I got my Ariana cd in the mail today and a Yatagarasu alpha key?! :eek:

Looks like i missed quite a lot of stuff since i've been gone....(not that anyone noticed)

OT:

Who are you?!

OMG, DOT! \o/ I missed you! Welcome back to the internet!

It's me, Hlāford Beowulf! Trying to pound myself out of this screen; help!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Asgaro, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-48F355857FB86D3A - Taken by WinterDemons. 7 entrants total.
Magicka with DLC -- MB-004A020029BFCD70 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 1 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-FE0CD22338700565 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-2CC9CC6E43B166D0 - Taken by Pop. 3 entrants total.
Sanctum 2 -- MB-16D3934388760D37 - Taken by Ventara. 2 entrants total.

t1409348486z1.png

OT:

Who are you?!

Welcome back dot! (~ ^ o ^)~ Hope you get settled quickly into your new home.

OMG, DOT! \o/ I missed you! Welcome back to the internet!

It's me, Hlāford Beowulf! Trying to pound myself out of this screen; help!

I'm so used to your cat avatar that I didn't recognize you for a minute.

Dr Dogg

What the heck happened with LocoCycle? I remember the initial hype Xbox launch takers and then it kind of died. Is it any good? I didn't even know it was on steam.

I don't know, the first I heard about if was in here and that it was part of a bundle at one point. I've also seen that Giant Bomb had a Quick Lock for it (which I haven't watched) but it's seldom got mentioned in here apart from when it's been on sale and some of the impressions I've got from other places about the Xbox version have been less than favourable. But I kept my eye on it as I've quite liked the brand of humour Twisted Pixel have had in their past releases and the Live Action segments that are in this (staring Tom Savini nonetheless) had me tempted.

I pulled the trigger after reading, believe it or not, a review from Stump (who also posted something similar in the second Steam thread this year). As to wether it's good well I love what I've seen already but I've only finished the prologue level so we'll see how the gameplay pans out (it's in the vain of Spyhunter, Chase HQ etc but with a bit of a gimmick) but the slew of references in the intro cutscene have had me either giggling or more audibly laughing but that depends on your own sense of humour I guess and the subject matter they're referencing.

Enco

That feel when you go out to meet some friends and get denied entry at the pub because you don't have any ID.

At least I watched Sin City before (hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng Eva Green).

Guess I'll play TWD2 instead.

As someone who (slightly shamefully) plays quite a lot of Black Ops 2 on the PC, is there any merit to getting the DLC? I've got a hunch the (relatively) small userbase makes it a tad pointless.

Jawmuncher

The shock people receive when they find out you can idle without downloading the game is great. Since we all were there at one point.

Wok

Ever since I won the ultimate giveaway I've looked past ones that are posted.

Even if it's something I want (like PvZ), I would feel really bad if I won. It's not like I'm struggling to find good games.

Blessed and hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom