• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakhyrr

... and nowadays horse armour would be a COMPLETELY non-ironic piece of DLC for a game ;)

There would be, in fact, horse armor packs, each with a different theme.

Glad they headed to a better direction in their games after that. Now hoping they don't go back...

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
but... but... I mean, the armor was GOLD. GOLD!

I bought the Shivering Isles expansion for $30

expansions are fine, though ... I wish we could go back to those instead of 238,748,278,472,834 pieces of DLC for each game ;)

Asgaro

Questions about ModBot since I'm rather new to SteamGAF - and especially new to participating in giveaways and returning the favour:

- Does ModBot only retrieve Steam images for a maximum of 4 games you give away?
StAidan's massive giveaway http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126969746&postcount=5574 has more images. Did he add these themselves?

- Shadownet's giveaway today did NOT have the Free For All rule (= you may enter for multiple games).
The problem was: so far, I only had participated in giveaways that have the Free For All rule (by coincidence).
As a result, I didn't think about the fact this is only allowed when there is a specific rule defined for this. So I sent 2 PMs to ModBot.

Does it mean I'm now on the Blacklist?

(This problem could have been avoided by having a line that reads "This is NOT a Free For All" but now I'll think of it. :) )

- What are people's motives to use or to not use the following restriction:
GIVERSONLY
This will restrict the giveaway to previous givers only. Anyone who has given a game within the last 90 days counts.

Is it good to use it?

Today was the first time I entered a giveaway that has this restriction.
At first I thought: well, that's quite the restriction.
But then I made my own first giveaway and I liked it. It gives you a feels_good_man.gif feeling.
So actually, this restriction can encourage others to start doing giveaways.

Should I use it all the time now, with the intention of encouraging others to do giveaways?
Or is it too restrictive in your eyes?

Shantom

Its definitely worth that price from everyone I know who has played it.
Just know what you are going in for which is a more cinematic type game.
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Shopto. Make sure to get the limited edition, it's the same price as the regular one. Free shipping is probably only available to UK people, unfortunately.
Edit: Or just get an AMD code, like The Dear Leader said.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
There would be, in fact, horse armor packs, each with a different theme.

Glad they headed to a better direction in their games after that. Now hoping they don't go back...

... and microtransactions ;) don't forget about microtransactions :p

GIVERSONLY
This will restrict the giveaway to previous givers only. Anyone who has given a game within the last 90 days counts.

Is it good to use it?

But then I made my own first giveaway and I liked it. It gives you a feels_good_man.gif feeling.

Should I use it all the time now, with the intention of encouraging others to do giveaways?

I think this is a restriction thats not hard to achieve. I mean everyone here buys bundles and gives the games they have away, because they dont need it.

Shadownet

Banned
I got Sniper Elite III and Murdered: Soul Suspect for $10 total today from an AMD Never Settle code I got in the BST thread, hell of a deal if I do say so myself.
What?? :( I've been wanting to buy Sniper Elite 3. But that region locked is ehh..

Amazing value though. Congrats! I would pay $10 for Sniper alone.
---
I think I made a terrible mistake. I bought The Escapists 3 days ago instead of Metro Redux Bundle.

Now Metro is normal price. I'm regretting it...

Dr Dogg

Looking at the overdone bloom effects in Oblivion you can't tell it's 10 years old. I can remember thinking it was a massive step up from Morrowind in the looks department when it came out. Oh how wrong I was when you factor in some of the mods for both over the years.

- Does ModBot only retrieve Steam images for a maximum of 4 games you give away?
StAidan's massive giveaway http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126969746&postcount=5574 has more images. Did he add these themselves?

- Shadownet's giveaway today did NOT have the Free For All rule (= you may enter for multiple games).
The problem was: so far, I only had participated in giveaways that have the Free For All rule (by coincidence).
As a result, I didn't think about the fact this is only allowed when there is a specific rule defined for this. So I sent 2 PMs to ModBot.

(This problem could have been avoided by having a line that reads "This is NOT a Free For All" but now I'll think of it. :) )

GIVERSONLY

Is it good to use it?

(1) Yes, StAiden added them himself. 4 is the max modbot will use by default.
(2) No. But you were disqualified from Shadownet's giveaway. Blacklist additions are only done by Stump/moderators.
(3) People usually use GIVERSONLY to make it so that it's more likely that people who participate in the community and give things away can win instead of lurkers and people who don't actively contribute.

GIVERSONLY

Is it good to use it?

I use it because every now and then somebody comes in here and abuses the generosity of this thread. The giversonly rule is a pretty low threshold but encourages people to be a participant in the community here. At the end of the day though use whatever rules you are comfortable with!

What?? :( I've been wanting to buy Sniper Elite 3. But that region locked is ehh..

Amazing value though. Congrats! I would pay $10 for Sniper alone.
---
I think I made a terrible mistake. I bought The Escapists 3 days ago instead of Metro Redux Bundle.

Now Metro is normal price. I'm regretting it...

Yeah I'm glad I got a good deal on it, and also on the Metro Bundle you might be able to still find it for 7 keys on TF2outpost, that's where I got it.

Turfster

Questions about ModBot since I'm rather new to SteamGAF - and especially new to participating in giveaways and returning the favour:
It ignores further signups for that giveaway, iirc.

Is it good to use it?
We've got a lot of people that do the bare minimum 5 non-relevant posts so they can get free games and don't contribute anything else to the thread.
People that use it, feel like they want their games to go to someone that contributes to the thread and/or give things away themselves.

Shadownet

Banned
(2) No. But you were disqualified from Shadownet's giveaway. Blacklist additions are only done by Stump/moderators.
(3) People usually use GIVERSONLY to make it so that it's more likely that people who participate in the community and give things away can win instead of lurkers and people who don't actively contribute.

I only permanbanned a handful of people. Wait or was it 2 hands..

Yeah I'm glad I got a good deal on it, and also on the Metro Bundle you might be able to still find it for 7 keys on TF2outpost, that's where I got it.

Ehh I might as well wait for the winter sale. I'm not in a big rush.

I still say the lurker posts should be upped to 10-15.
I agree with this.

Turfster

I ask myself, what's so cool about Prey. Isn't that game already a bit old, why is everyone so excited for it?

It's no longer available on the store!
It also has quite a lot of interesting things in it, like the spirit world, the magnetic inverted walkways, the portals, the mini-planets, etc, etc

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Ryne, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition -- MB-6899EAF148C20510

t1409397085z1.png

Jawmuncher

You must not know me yet.
I'm one of the resident grumpy old men ;)

But would it add quality posts, or more "first!" "new thread smell!" "wow thread goes fast"?
Not so sure.

5 is too low, yeah.

I guess then there will still be enough people posting useless posts here.

That would just incite triple the useless spam though =/

At the same angle though it would be far easier to catch.
5 spam posts gets lost pretty quick. 15 is going to take a bit more work.

Chariot

God, why do I still automatically scroll down to the comments, it's unhealthy.

I don't think it's on the Steam store anymore, so there's that.
It's no longer available on the store!
It also has quite a lot of interesting things in it, like the spirit world, the magnetic inverted walkways, the portals, the mini-planets, etc, etc

You cant buy it directly on steam so collectors want it to show off.
Oh, that makes sense.

Jawmuncher

God, why do I still automatically scroll down to the comments, it's unhealthy.

Oh, that makes sense. How did it appear yet again? Did somebody buy keys years ago and just stored them somewhere.

Don't let them kid you this is the real reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDJRpFln-Q

All because of this song

All this talk of prey and no one ever mentions the Kick Ass Credits Song.
The moment I heard I knew I would never forget it.

Hopefully Prey comes back one day. I remember being enamored with the demo many moons ago.

That spirit world on death is the best thematicly consistent mechanic to replace quick loading.

Jawmuncher

Hopefully Prey comes back one day. I remember being enamored with the demo many moons ago.

That spirit world on death is the best thematicly consistent response to quick loading.

Press Sneak Fucks said Bethesda is still working on Prey 2.
More than likely moved development to next gen consoles. With that said would make sense to me to see a Steam release and perhaps the original as a DL on those titles when they announce it.

You make a fair point.
Totally not a post +1

Still better than
PLS KEYS

Have a nice raffle.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Only users that are mik7697 are eligible for this giveaway btw =)

Rise of the Triad -- MB-F0E58F6195DE1BFA

t1409364567z1.png

Asgaro

I think this is a restriction thats not hard to achieve. I mean everyone here buys bundles and gives the games they have away, because they dont need it.

That's true.
Personally, I have also quite some unused keys from bundles (I never add games to my Steam account I know I won't complete) but never thought of doing something with them.
Since bundles are so common now.
But it seems - from my own first giveaway a few hours ago - that some people still don't have them, so i'll be glad to contribute from now on. :)

Thanks.
I think I'll now only do giveaways with a maximum of 4 games each time, so each game has its own nice thumbnail.

I use it because every now and then somebody comes in here and abuses the generosity of this thread. The giversonly rule is a pretty low threshold but encourages people to be a participant in the community here. At the end of the day though use whatever rules you are comfortable with!

It ignores further signups for that giveaway, iirc.

We've got a lot of people that do the bare minimum 5 non-relevant posts so they can get free games and don't contribute anything else to the thread.
People that use it, feel like they want their games to go to someone that contributes to the thread and/or give things away themselves.

Thanks for the insights.
I was mostly concerned about people that contribute to this topic a lot and add value to this thread, but never do giveaways.
But now that I think about it: that should be very uncommon considering the PC games market provides so many cheap games nowadays.

madjoki

The Buy/Sell/Trade thread in the community section, I bought it from josecitoxnyo he might have more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743986

Current games are changing on Tuesday, so if you want one of currently available you need to do it soon.

New bundle has mainly space themed games (Star Citizen, Alien: Isolation and couple of indies).
Althought $10 for Alien Isolation isn't too bad. Don't know if anyone current games are going kept.

Current games are changing on Tuesday, so if you want one of currently available you need to do it soon.

New bundle has mainly space themed games (Star Citizen, Alien: Isolation and couple of indies).
Althought $10 for Alien Isolation isn't too bad. Don't know if anyone current games are going kept.

10$ for Alien?

Shadownet

Banned
That's true.
Personally, I have also quite some unused keys from bundles (I never add games to my Steam account I know I won't complete) but never thought of doing something with them.
Since bundles are so common now.
But it seems - from my own first giveaway a few hours ago - that some people still don't have them, so i'll be glad to contribute from now on. :)

I'm not 100% sure I've seen you around SteamGAF or not. But if this is your first time. Welcome :D

Otherwise, my apology. I don't recognize your username/avatar.
-------
I lost track of how many games I gave away.
-------
Btw, anyone know what's wrong with Maneil. He left SteamGAF, he just sent me the Secret Santa list and said "see ya around."

If you just wanna see your Modbot giveaways, you can send Modbot a PM with the title "my loot" and you can see how many you gave away.

I don't wanna break Modbot. I know it's 100+, Not including games I gift on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom