• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

WOAH, 59.99? Really 2K? You've usually charged 30 for the series on PC now they are going for full price :(. Was it this much last year, I ended up getting it for PS4 so I wouldn't know.

Like Beyond Earth, I'm getting £29.99 for that too, with a 25% saving. The region-compare thing isn't working at the moment though so I don't know if that's another win for UK.

Caerith

Honestly, someone should make a robot to auto-buy price glitches and make a profit reselling them.

It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard technically; every 45 seconds, load the specials page. Automatically buy anything 91% or higher off, automatically buy anything pre-release >50% off, and email the operator for any non-normal discount percentage over 50% (say, 79% off) in case it's a price error. Pre-fund the account for $50 or so. Resell at a 10% premium over cost. Worst case scenario you're out $50. Best case scenario, you've got yourself a cottage industry.

Note: This is technically against Steam TOS because it involves automating purchasing *snooze*
It wouldn't be against TOS if you were a light sleeper and your robot alerted you to price glitches with a buy/decline prompt, though.

Then again, if you were to do this, wouldn't you just set up a robot account to launder the money back to you anyway?

wow! another one
man this is crazy....

cSZvHSJ.png

be careful gaffers

STEAM | September 2014 - dude,i have steam lagg

So I have a Steam organization question for SteamGAF.

I've been using multiple categories and everything is working well. However, I need some opinions on non-steam emulator games.

Example: I have Ultra Street Fighter IV under the category "fighting". I currently have all of my Dreamcast games under a "Dreamcast" category of course.

Should I add Dead or Alive 2 (dreamcast) to my main "fighting" category (alongside USFIV and the like) or keep it separate and create something like "Dreamcast - Fighting"?

Blizzard

Banned
+1

Borderlands 2 is a bazillion times better than OG Borderlands.

I actually enjoyed playing both solo WAY more than multi. When playing online, everyone just rushes to the objective marker, quick-kills the boss, and nabs the best loot before rushing off to do it all over again. They don't care about the story or setting. They don't read or listen to the great & funny writing. They don't take 5 seconds to compare loadouts with new gear.

It's just RUN! RUN! RUN! like an ADHD kid hopped up on Mountain Dew & Sugar Smacks. What a boring way to play. You miss the whole game.

Borderlands (esp. 2) is a wonderfully vibrant and unique universe in both concept and execution. I'm a stop & smell the roses gamer anyway, so I play solo so I can go at my own pace and soak in the sights.
This is one of the main reasons I'm playing it solo too. When I played Borderlands 1 in a group, people usually rushed through, and I like to explore/read/listen even if it's not the best writing in the world. Different tastes and all that. :p

Aaron D.

Playing online with strangers is the absolute worst in those types of games. I tried it once or twice, but never again.

Yeah, that's pretty much my situation.

I tried it with pubs and was immediately turned off. I'm more of a Lone Wolf gamer anyway, unless you're talking asynchronous Leaderboard chasing as found in games like SSX, Forza, Trials, etc.

JustLynx

It wouldn't be against TOS if you were a light sleeper and your robot alerted you to price glitches with a buy/decline prompt, though.

Then again, if you were to do this, wouldn't you just set up a robot account to launder the money back to you anyway?

STEAM | September 2014 - dude,i have steam lagg

ROFL!

Ozium

I've been using multiple categories and everything is working well. However, I need some opinions on non-steam emulator games.

Example: I have Ultra Street Fighter IV under the category "fighting". I currently have all of my Dreamcast games under a "Dreamcast" category of course.

Should I add Dead or Alive 2 (dreamcast) to my main "fighting" category (alongside USFIV and the like) or keep it separate and create something like "Dreamcast - Fighting"?

why not both?

Depends how large the Dreamcast Category is. If its pretty large, separating by shmup/driving/fighting makes sense. But if its like 20 games, Id say just dump them all in one category.

ZeroCDR

I just traded for Resident Evil Revelations. I'm so hyped to get off work now. I'm craving some horror. Does this game have co-op?

It has co-op in RAID mode, which is sections of the campaign in a dungeon crawler kind of style, i.e. you level up and find loot to take on the harder stages and difficulties. It's awesome.

No campaign co-op though, which is very strange because you ALWAYS have an AI partner with you that does jack shit. They're invincible, at least.

why not both?

I mean I could. I guess I don't want it to look too cluttered. Especially when you have games for Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, SNES, etc

Depends how large the Dreamcast Category is. If its pretty large, separating by shmup/driving/fighting makes sense. But if its like 20 games, Id say just dump them all in one category.

Yeah, that makes sense. If Steam would just get it together and implement sub-categories, this wouldn't even be an issue.

A question for you good people:

I've got around $10 in card money atm.

I enjoyed Borderlands. (Don't judge me! :p) Played through the GOTY solo and had a good time. (Except for the Colosseum. Kinda bailed on that. >_<)

If I'd mainly be soloing, would it be worth it for me to pick up Borderlands 2 GOTY while it's on sale, or should I hold onto my Idle Mastered hard-earned gabens and put them toward something else?

If you liked the first Borderlands I gather you're going to like the second as well, and I encourage you to try it out yourself during this free weekend, by the way these days I've been playing The darkness II, that share some elements in common with Borderlands: the cel-shading graphic style, the darkish setting, the crude violence and gross language, I can feel some similarities.

The loot system - that I enjoy very much in Borderlands, searching for more powerful/effective weapons/shields is addicting - is not there, still if you have never played it you may give it a try, since these days you may find it for cheap.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
NBA 2K15 Preorder is up! Getting this baby asap. As a former basketball player I never miss NBA games

Ozium

I mean I could. I guess I don't want it to look too cluttered. Especially when you have games for Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, SNES, etc

Have it in two categories: Fighting and Dreamcast

if you go to dreamcast category it has all your dreamcast games
if you go to fighting category it has all your fighting games

boom

Tellaerin

So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Borderlands 2 GOTY. From what people have been saying, it sounds like I'll enjoy it. (If I don't, Turfster gets the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so". ; ) ) Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

derExperte

Seems to me that the cool thing these days is making one of the characters ? so that key-grab bots aren't as useful. Not sure if they even have bots that can cope with that. Maybe.

Less than 15s was too slow this time. :(

Does anyone know if the Metro Redux 50% off will continue even after the game comes out, like Deus Ex HR DC did?

You could search the Steam forum but I'm sure they said pre-order only.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Updating Enhanced Steam to support this Japanese Yen pricing stuff is going slower than I would have liked. :(

Previously there wasn't anything that I'm aware of that was over $1,000 on Steam so I took a few shortcuts when dealing with international currencies - mainly that if it detected a comma it assumed that the currency used a comma as a decimal delimiter and automatically converted it to a period (since all of Javascript's number functions use US decimal notation).

So now there are things, most things in fact, on Steam that cost more than ¥ 1,000. Enhanced Steam is detecting the comma and converting it to a decimal point so ¥ 1,000 becomes ¥ 1.

Come to think of it, this could be why Freedom Cry had a price mistake. :)

I'm getting things updated but it might be tomorrow before I can release a version that works with the new Japanese Yen pricing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of abracadaver, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sniper Elite 3 -- MB-C2C31117880A76EA - Taken by Lain. 77 entrants total.

t1408565795z1.png

Does that scam even work? steamcommunrity is just forwarding to steamcommunity.

edit: ah, gotta type in the whole thing to see dem craftyness.

iosefe

so, just forewarning, whoever i get paired with for Secret Santa Gaf...expect Mount your Friends....or maybe not....or maybe not...

dot

I think I facepalmed through my head and back around for some kinda messy high-five. Maybe it's just my death throes, I dunno.

Oh, that was supposed to be read as (dot)hacked. Because of my name. And the .hack games/anime. Not sure if you got the reference.

Maybe someone else here got the joke.

so, just forewarning, whoever i get paired with for Secret Santa Gaf...expect Mount your Friends....or maybe not....or maybe not...

I hope i get paired with you now. Or Momo.

Corpekata

Banned
Disk Space required does not equal the download. It downloads a compressed files and when fully installed will be 20 gigs, but the download is typically smaller.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
WOAH, 59.99? Really 2K? You've usually charged 30 for the series on PC now they are going for full price :(. Was it this much last year, I ended up getting it for PS4 so I wouldn't know.

I'll gladly pay $60 for the new gen version instead of $30 for the old gen version. Thank you 2k.

I finally bought a new monitor (Asus VE228HR) to replace my old one (crappy brand, 16:10, max 1440x900 resolution). Well, this looks really more brilliant, maybe even too much. The problem is though, I'm currently playing Planescape Torment. No mods, just the GOG version with a bug fix patch, in the original resolution. This new monitor though stretches the image to full screen, and it's ugly. Is there something I can do?

derExperte

I finally bought a new monitor (Asus VE228HR) to replace my old one (crappy brand, 16:10, max 1440x900 resolution). Well, this looks really more brilliant, maybe even too much. The problem is though, I'm currently playing Planescape Torment. No mods, just the GOG version with a bug fix patch, in the original resolution. This new monitor though stretches the image to full screen, and it's ugly. Is there something I can do?

Your graphics drivers should offer options for scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom