• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
In case nobody noticed
is out already. I remember it being early "accessed" before, but it seems to be normal release. Anybody knows what's up with that?

i can't wait for the day they actually bother doing an actual sequel for this series

so much fun but cmon

Kyougar

I'll try that.

I just tried used a HDMI cable, and now I have black borders all over the screen, even at max resolution :|

I think thats the Over/underscan "feature" was driving me crazy after I switched from nvidea to AMD. The option is in the catalyst control center under "my Flatmonitor (or something something, i have it in german)

Yeah, that was option A. I'm pretty sure that's the one I prefer too.

This is why multiple categories is a Godsend.
I no longer need Telltale - The Walking Dead, Telltale - Sam & Max, etc.
I can put them in both Telltale and their respective franchise category.

Are there any crazy mofos in here interested in plowing through those multiplayer Tomb Raider achievements together? Most of them are annoying situational ones and I believe most can be done in private match (though there is no one playing normal MP anyways).

Yo.

I am the dumbest one. I didn't even understand I had to write three fictional names, only wrote one lol
Glad you're back :)

You're not the only one -- unless he counts the random "thought process" i wrote up while coming to the "dumbest" character they could add.

And I'm not back, don't get used to it. This post is brought to you by Stallion Free, since I'm answering his call.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Testament of Sherlock Holmes, some of those puzzles are insane. I really don't have patience to try to solve the most hardest ones... Otherwise it's quite good, played seven hours now, story is ok. Technically it's little poor, but not bad. If you like adventure games, give it a chance.

KainXVIII

Pre-order for 2k15 is up. Are there any trade restrictions?

Whoa, dat beards! (hope its nextgen port)

linkfilter

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can someone in Japan confirm this: it seems that while the Steam store is in Japanese Yen, the Steam market is still in USD. Is that correct or am I just going crazy?

Stitch

Gold Member
Looks like AMD drivers are really shit, issues with scaling in 2014.

no, it's this "feature":

I think thats the Over/underscan "feature" was driving me crazy after I switched from nvidea to AMD. The option is in the catalyst control center under "my Flatmonitor (or something something, i have it in german)

you have to set it to 0%

Tried it and it worked! Thank you! :D

QQTafMP.png

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can someone in Japan confirm this: it seems that while the Steam store is in Japanese Yen, the Steam market is still in USD. Is that correct or am I just going crazy?

I'd be surprised if we had anyone from Japan posting here

Super Hi-Ficom is from Japan I think and there should be others. Their names I forgot.
Where I know this? I stealthly creep users into their steam profiles, post history etc. which I am interested in wearing their skins becoming friends with.

yoshizzle

2k11 or 2k14.

2k11 has the awesome Jordan Challenge mode which is some of the best SP stuff in the series. A ton of graphics mods which make it look at least as good as 2k14. Also only $10 on steam. Online servers are shut down though.

2k14 is much more balanced and on the ball defense feels better. You can stop drives much easier than in the others. But, if all you care about is SP this won't be a big deal. The SP Lebron mode is kind of lame. Online servers alive and well, meaning it's easy to download custom rosters, community balanced slider patches, etc.

2k12 isn't bad either. It has the full dream team roster and some other national teams. Jordan Challenge was still better IMO.

If you don't mind the upgraded AI, controls, Euroleague teams and All-Star Weekend that 2K14 introduced go with 2k12. It was the last game that didn't have all the annoying microtransaction and always online stuff that 2K13 and the later games started using. It also has a really interesting mode, where you play legendary NBA matches and try to complete challenges. I don't remember if 2K13 has anything similar and I found the "Play as Lebron" mode of 2K14 boring

Thank you both for the replies!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

lol true. I know that there are a few people here though that have been reporting on this and following it closely and wasn't sure if they were aware.

Either way, I've converted my market data from USD to JPY so badge pages and the like will show the lowest price of cards, average badge completion costs, and total approximate worth of card drops in Yen. So if the market is still in USD those figures might be slightly off is all.

I have a contact on my friend list who is from japan, right now he's playing but I'll try and ask him and will let you know.

Ok, I followed a link to a GianBomb video and started browsing their site. There is content behind a monthly fee?! Wow, I never saw a gaming outlet have something like this before. I guess it's worth it because there are so many people citing them/linking their stuff/even humongous threads.
Still, anyone care to explain what they like about GB? How come they can't stay alive "free" when others can/they belong to a rich company now?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Is Depression Quest good?

It's more of an educational tool. For people with depression it is familiar territory, for those who haven't been through that it certainly paints a picture of what someone with depression might go through.

The whole tabloid mess when it was first released and the current one is just disgusting.

Ok, I followed a link to a GianBomb video and started browsing their site. There is content behind a monthly fee?! Wow, I never saw a gaming outlet have something like this before. I guess it's worth it because there are so many people citing them/linking their stuff/even humongous threads.
Still, anyone care to explain what they like about GB? How come they can't stay alive "fee" when others can/they belong to a rich company now?

they do quick looks of games for free and their feature videos are behind a paywall.

They started back in 2008 as former Gamespot peeps.. It's a personality driven website and they're pretty funny. Most people feel so close to the guys on the site that they often openly state that they wish X person was their dad.

It's a great site.

And still I'm good thanks to the fall of the retail sector.

I do love a good old Amazon Pre Order Price Guarantee rush.

I'm not too fussed about the cosmetic stuff they have been releasing but the Level Cap Upgrade, the Psycho character as well as the Headhunter packs not being part of the Season Pass and some of them not even in the GOTY version isn't exactly the best way to go about your DLC plans.
Thanks for that. I'll pre-order a copy from Amazon as soon as I can.

L.O.R.D

i've made my first link from tf2outpost
only 1 view tell now
holy maw, every seconds there is alot of new offers
its very hard to keep up
am i allowed to post the link here ?

they do quick looks of games for free and their feature videos are behind a paywall.
They started back in 2008 as former Gamespot peeps.. It's a personality driven website and they're pretty funny.
Ah, ok. Makes sens....
Most people feel so close to the guys on the site that they often openly state that they wish X person was their dad.
It's a great site.
.. dafuq
Are they comparable to the ultra-die-hard fans of yogscast who even through the failed KS game defended them heavily or is it more level-headed?
Only saw some gifs and a couple funny short video clips. And I also remember that one guy who got fired from his time at Gamespot.

Don't take it the wrong way, but being angry at Paradox because you feel as though you Gotta Catch 'Em All speaks more to your own neurotic nature than any predatory deigns the company may have on their consumer base.

I don't think they're being predatory, I said they didn't know the affects of their actions.

But tell you what, if their plans of adding value for fans is a $10 save converter, I hope their fans are really dedicated. Seeing prices like that certainly takes away value from people like me, so maybe they can take my neurotic nature into account next time they do this shit.

Deitus

Still, anyone care to explain what they like about GB? How come they can't stay alive "free" when others can/they belong to a rich company now?

The jist of it is, they are a smaller site, and they can't compete directly with Gamespot and IGN. They don't have enough people to get scoops on all the gaming news that comes out in a day, nor can they review every game that comes out. They don't get enough unique viewers to stay afloat on ad revenue alone. Them being owned by a large company doesn't really matter in the long run, because they still operate mostly autonomously, except that their owner expects them not to lose money.

What they do have is entertaining video content and podcasts. As Freedom = $1.05 mentioned, they are a personality driven site. People tend to view their content for entertainment value moreso than anything else, and because they feel a personal bond with the people behind the site. They produce a lot of video content that is specifically geared towards their fans, and they lock some of this behind a paywall.

I don't subscribe, because I don't even have enough time to watch most of their free content. But I would guess the people who do subscribe get their money's worth. And for people unwilling to do so, there is still plenty of content on their site.

Ah, ok. Makes sens....

.. dafuq
Are they comparable to the ultra-die-hard fans of yogscast who even through the failed KS game defended them heavily or is it more level-headed?
Only saw some gifs and a couple funny short video clips. And I also remember that one guy who got fired from his time at Gamespot.

The website was a result of Jeff Gerstmann getting fired over some unethical BS that his employers at Gamespot were trying to pull at the time. Their fans tend to be more sensible and well informed about the industry because of that, among other things. I believe their podcast is currently the #1 gaming podcast on the net, too.

I suggest you listen to some of their podcasts to see if it works for you. most people become fans of the site through the podcast.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Driw3r, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pid -- MB-72F8D4D74D0EA812 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 3 entrants total.
Heroes of Steel: Tactics RPG -- MB-53552F9E42D2A541 - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.
Aveyond: Lord of Twilight -- MB-2E044A420A692A67 - Taken by Sammichu. 5 entrants total.

t1408578815z1.png
Some spares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom