• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bah.

I literally only want KOF XIII from the latest humble bundle so trying to trawl around Steam trades etc for it. That and I need to sell cards to get enough money for TF2 keys even if I did want it.

If only someone was willing to split a pack for $2.50 or so just for that, bah.

Had several big games that I had beaten before a hard drive reformat and that subsequently got cards. (Two of which gave me free GOTY editions.) Had a hard time deciding what to reinstall and play, so much so that I just downloaded idlemaster. What's wrong with me?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Had several big games that I had beaten before a hard drive reformat and that subsequently got cards. (Two of which gave me free GOTY editions.) Had a hard time deciding what to reinstall and play, so much so that I just downloaded idlemaster. What's wrong with me?

Nothing at all, you've made a good choice. :)

yoshizzle

I think I may pick up an older NBA2k game before 2k15 comes out. Out of 2k11-14, which would you guys recommend the most? I'd only be playing against the AI, so it doesn't matter if the online servers are up or not. :)

Sendou

Nothing at all, you've made a good choice. :)

You know what I find weird. Using ES Steam store page constantly changes from English to Finnish and signs me out when I'm navigating the site. Disabling ES seems to remove these problems. Is this a known issue by any chance?

Does this help? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/UnableToSetGPUScaling.aspx

And maybe the monitor offers options for this too, though the cheaper ones often don't.

Also what cable are you using? I remember these options being limited when using analog.

Ok I found it but for some reason I can't modify it :/

Oh, and I'm using a DVI cable.

ShCIxYd.jpg

I finally bought a new monitor (Asus VE228HR) to replace my old one (crappy brand, 16:10, max 1440x900 resolution). Well, this looks really more brilliant, maybe even too much. The problem is though, I'm currently playing Planescape Torment. No mods, just the GOG version with a bug fix patch, in the original resolution. This new monitor though stretches the image to full screen, and it's ugly. Is there something I can do?

How about this?

The alternative is playing a game for ants.

Hugstable

Banned
It's supposed to be the same version as the PS4/XB1 versions so no wonder they upped the price.

It was always 30 because they just didn't give a fuck. We'd get a patch 6+ months after launch sometimes. They are going full price this time because they supposedly put in some effort. We'll see.

I'll gladly pay $60 for the new gen version instead of $30 for the old gen version. Thank you 2k.

Oh nice, if they really put more attention to the game this year on PC then I might be down to pay the 60$ for it. Will wait for impressions before launch before jumping into it though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think I may pick up an older NBA2k game before 2k15 comes out. Out of 2k11-14, which would you guys recommend the most? I'd only be playing against the AI, so it doesn't matter if the online servers are up or not. :)

2k11 or 2k14.

2k11 has the awesome Jordan Challenge mode which is some of the best SP stuff in the series. A ton of graphics mods which make it look at least as good as 2k14. Also only $10 on steam. Online servers are shut down though.

2k14 is much more balanced and on the ball defense feels better. You can stop drives much easier than in the others. But, if all you care about is SP this won't be a big deal. The SP Lebron mode is kind of lame. Online servers alive and well, meaning it's easy to download custom rosters, community balanced slider patches, etc.

2k12 isn't bad either. It has the full dream team roster and some other national teams. Jordan Challenge was still better IMO.

Miletius

Think the widescreen mod is your best bet. It really doesn't do much other than adjust the resolution, so I think it should be fine to install. It also works for all IE games if I remember correctly so that fixes BG + II + ToB + ICD 1 + 2, so there is a little added benefit.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

If you don't mind the upgraded AI, controls, Euroleague teams and All-Star Weekend that 2K14 introduced go with 2k12. It was the last game that didn't have all the annoying microtransaction and always online stuff that 2K13 and the later games started using. It also has a really interesting mode, where you play legendary NBA matches and try to complete challenges. I don't remember if 2K13 has anything similar and I found the "Play as Lebron" mode of 2K14 boring

MRORANGE

Just realized we have a new batch of newcomers joining gaf? Anyways I forget to explain this in the new thread, please take a read if you haven't read how Steam Game Recommendations works already:

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for September (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in September that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th August

Games / Gaffers:
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Uzzy
Dead Rising 3 - MMBosstones86
Gauntlet - Hugstable
Wasteland 2 - Saunderez
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution - Rayge
Defense Grid 2 - jshackles

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are there any crazy mofos in here interested in plowing through those multiplayer Tomb Raider achievements together? Most of them are annoying situational ones and I believe most can be done in private match (though there is no one playing normal MP anyways).

I think you can only change it when running at non-native resolution. So change resolution and you should be able to select scaling mode.

That actually worked, but when I switch back to 1920x1080 the option reverts to the original one :/

So I have to keep the desktop to a lower resolution? Damn, that's annoying.

Divius

Rules:
1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in September that is on Steam.
2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th August
Is there an easy way to check the september releases?

MRORANGE

Is there an easy way to check the september releases?

This question gets asked every thread :) The only way unfortunately is to scroll through the coming soon section, which is very tedious, not sure if SteamDB lists future release dates in a easy way view them....

Speevy

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection -- MB-86C08CDC4E864CE0 - Taken by Driw3r. 13 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-77161464439AA1A1 - Taken by FtHTiny. 3 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-6253D7356F7B738B - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-096ED40D581A6B88 - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.

t1408565555z1.png

I saw that someone from capybara was in the Steam thread a day or so ago -- he mentioned something about a contest for two STFU keys and said one was claimed by whoever had successfully guessed the 3 new chars.
Did he ever say if he chose the "dumbest" one?
I am the dumbest one. I didn't even understand I had to write three fictional names, only wrote one lol
Glad you're back :)
--
Gotta go fats.
This Pillars of Eternity hands-on makes me happy.
Hey, I realized you post lots of RPS articles. Is that the page you frequent mostly or why do you think it's a good place?
--
Cute trailer for Eldritch
(If this doesn't make you want to buy it, I don't know what will)
Ha, what a cool trailer! It's a daily, right? Interesting, I thought it was like minecraft but it looks very different (not looks looks but feels looks). I think I am gonna plunge.
Where do you find these trailers though?

derExperte

Sorry :(

Also thanks for Sendou for notification :)

As a 'protip' I recommend Tweetdeck with desktop notifications.

Well, it went to a fellow Steambro and not some unsavory reseller, so congrats! :)

edit: And too slow again, probably because it took one second too long to figure out the missing letter.

I'll try that.

I just tried used a HDMI cable, and now I have black borders all over the screen, even at max resolution :|

Did you restart?

Turfster

Are there any crazy mofos in here interested in plowing through those multiplayer Tomb Raider achievements together? Most of them are annoying situational ones and I believe most can be done in private match (though there is no one playing normal MP anyways).

Sure, I'm willing to give it the old school try.

Hey, I realized you post lots of RPS articles. Is that the page you frequent mostly or why do you think it's a good place?
--

Ha, what a cool trailer! It's a daily, right? Interesting, I thought it was like minecraft but it looks very different (not looks looks but feels looks). I think I am gonna plunge.
Where do you find these trailers though?

I like RPS because their views mostly coincide with my own, and they have in-depth pieces on games, usually multiple from different people. They're also pretty much the only "pc games only" outlet left, so there's no "it's better on THIS console, but Y is better on THAT console" bullshit.

As for the trailer, I got it from the game creator's own twitter.
He's put it on the Steam page now tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom