• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Nah, I'd prefer not to install any other mods. Also this issue probably happens with older games in general (haven't tested anything else yet), so I want to find a permanent solution.

Mods are your best bet for a permanent solution. Many older games do not natively render at 16:9 widescreen resolutions.

Aaron D.

I don't think they're being predatory, I said they didn't know the affects of their actions.

But tell you what, if their plans of adding value for fans is a $10 save converter, I hope their fans are really dedicated. Seeing prices like that certainly takes away value from people like me, so maybe they can take my neurotic nature into account next time they do this shit.

Yeah, I thought you'd take it the wrong way.

Neurotic is too charged a word, but I couldn't think of a better one. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh lawd, I'm pretty sure it's theoretically possible to masturbate to the sound of the stick my new arcade controller

AHA-Lambda

Is Depression Quest good?

Good, is very subjective here. If you are the sort of person who can't enjoy "walking simulators" then you'll certainly get nothing out of this.

But if you like seeing games do different things and tackling different subjects then yes.
I will say I think it done a good job of showing what it's like to have depression.

The jist of it is, [...]
What they do have is entertaining video content and podcasts. [...]
I don't subscribe, because I don't even have enough time to watch [...]
Yes, I also found the few videos I saw that it's more about having fun than "technicalities" (reviews,benchmarks, etc) which is totally fine.
But man, you are right. Many of their videos are over 30 mins. I can't even get around starting a game to play it 15 mins. Don't know how to find the time to watch many, long videos.
But I guess for people who like GB it's perfect. A lot of content they like. And they are a sympathetic bunch I must say.
[...] I believe their podcast is currently the #1 gaming podcast on the net, too.
I suggest you listen to some of their podcasts to see if it works for you. most people become fans of the site through the podcast.
Pretty big feat. They must be doing something right. I'll take a look at their podcast. Never listened to any podcast ever to be honest, so don't know if'll be enjoyable to me. I am used to visual stimulation ;)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BioShock Triple Pack -- MB-2D1B43E7AF3EDE7C - Taken by PolarBearsClub. 24 entrants total.

t1408579955z1.png

Yes, I also found the few videos I saw that it's more about having fun than "technicalities" (reviews,benchmarks, etc) which is totally fine.
But man, you are right. Many of their videos are over 30 mins. I can't even get around starting a game to play it 15 mins. Don't know how to find the time to watch many, long videos.
But I guess for people who like GB it's perfect. A lot of content they like. And they are a sympathetic bunch I must say.
Pretty big feat. They must be doing something right. I'll take a look at their podcast. Never listened to any podcast ever to be honest, so don't know if'll be enjoyable to me. I am used to visual stimulation ;)
To add to that, i'm someone who never really followed them, but after watching one or two quicklooks, and listening to a podcast, i love them. I still don't listen to them daily(trying to stop my procrastinating habit), but admire them a lot.

Caerith

Podcasts go well with games you don't need to pay attention to, like if you're replaying levels for better scores/times or hunting for left hands or playing Far Cry 3 (90% collecting, 10% a story so stupid and poorly-written you're better off not paying attention) if it didn't get all weird/buggy when you alt-tabbed.

Yeah, I thought you'd take it the wrong way.

Neurotic is too charged a word, but I couldn't think of a better one. Sorry.

Don't worry, it's up to Paradox to make me feel better about it. Only they can do it. Perhaps an exquisite sale at some point would be good enough.

Dr Dogg

So what with a few new monitors to have a poke through my library, looking forward to the Witcher III after the latest vids and what not I thought I'd fire up II again and have a see how it still fares. But god grief have I forgot how unwieldy the menu system is. Doesn't help that I'm feeling particularly lazy tonight and playing via 360 pad for the first time and don't have a clue what the corresponding controls are after conditioning myself with the kb&m ones.

Though it still does look pretty.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Well, I caved and preordered Dead Rising 3, Fable Anniversary and Alien: Isolation (Nostromo Edition) through Green Man Gaming due to their 25% off voucher. Having a new job means I can pre-order games again. I really hope the games are good PC ports.

Well, I caved and preordered Dead Rising 3, Fable Anniversary and Alien: Isolation (Nostromo Edition) through Green Man Gaming due to their 25% off voucher. Having a new job means I can pre-order games again. I really hope the games are good PC ports.

Alien: Isolation is right on my radar, looks a lot more interesting since it's just the one alien this time around. Not sure I'd be confident enough in it to pre-order though with how bad basically all of the recent alien games were.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I got a thing. Here are some things from another thing that I got.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-1B8D04F2215913D1 - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Meltdown -- MB-2AF128C203B5B043 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.
Consortium -- MB-675A1970D4E31133 - Taken by louiedog. 5 entrants total.

t1408572275z1.png

I can vouch for Whispering Willows being kind of okay, impressions here.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
just found out that 2k15 is region locked and i'm gonna go cry

brb

Feels so good that I got it with card money. Still got some left for GTA V because that will be region locked too seeing as 2K has now joined the dark side

Ibuki

Banned
What's the word on that Resident Evil 4 HD release? Anything wrong with it I should know about before grabbing it. I could be crazy but I swear I read something about a texture mod or something being in the works.

Turfster

Hah, no.
The maps are really... cramped and muddy, the weapons are limited, the traps are bizarre and if there's a bit of lag, people jump around all over the place.

Arthea

Any way to get rid of notices of pending trades that aren't pending at all? Also every trade ends in error message for me lately, even if it's successful, anybody else experiencing this?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Terrorhedron -- MB-21B11009DA5EABAB - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-C3D1DE9E39B27EA8 - Taken by illmatic19. 9 entrants total.
Kill Fun Yeah -- MB-4AEDC3DFF7D44797 - Taken by jfredsilva. 2 entrants total.
Rush -- MB-5994CB6141588113 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition -- MB-57903FB244467BF3 - Taken by shykyoichi. 1 entrants total.
Puddle -- MB-AE8CC36FDBBBDE47 - Taken by Kifimbo. 8 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-529E176D8247F99D - Taken by Seaklng. 7 entrants total.
Murder Miners -- MB-859D19C61D5A4EA4 - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-FAFFF8ACDF361D29 - Taken by skullmuffins. 3 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-B60BECD1802864FE - Taken by xptoxyz. 5 entrants total.
International Snooker -- MB-890D6919CDDDB799 - Taken by danhese007. 3 entrants total.
War Of the Human Tanks -- MB-02789C3C502B3856 - Taken by bronson. 4 entrants total.
Nosgoth Beta Access (http://www.nosgoth.com/redeem/key) -- MB-6DBDCB6402B1071A - Taken by Servizio. 1 entrants total.
Zack Zero -- MB-573E3624CAE2E32A - Taken by Ventara. 2 entrants total.
Murder Miners #2 -- MB-BF1CF18D2335310C - Taken by diablogod. 2 entrants total.
Murder Miners #3 -- MB-9D0208EA4AE0E34F - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
Wooden Sen'SeY -- MB-D7B4D207F711604F - Taken by GaussTek. 8 entrants total.
Space Farmers -- MB-754D1038CD53EFBC - Taken by WinterDemons. 3 entrants total.
Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold Episode 1 -- MB-96EA7144BB0EAEB3 - Taken by Kagemusha. 1 entrants total.
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION -- MB-A491414983943F36 - Taken by schwupp. 50 entrants total.

t1408584276z1.png

Still available

Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-A840476B8788BBA8 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

And maybe someone wants one of these coupons

jbyXiUIe7rLvIZ.JPG

Jawmuncher

Hah, no.
The maps are really... cramped and muddy, the weapons are limited, the traps are bizarre and if there's a bit of lag, people jump around all over the place.

Played it for 20 minutes.
It's like a crap version of UC2 mp.
It was nothing more than a checkmark.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes I think Steam makes it intentionally difficult for me to fix bugs in Enhanced Steam.

A lot of users reported that highlighting stops working for them if they change their Steam profiles to private. It has to do with the API that pulls a list of games a particular user owns, which requires your profile to be private. Enhanced Steam *tries* to get a list of apps you own this way first (to cut down on the number of total API calls) then after that will get the rest of the apps on the page using a different API that is somewhat slower.

So I changed my profile to private - and their API server is still returning results for my owned games, even though it shouldn't be. Maybe it's cached, but it's been private now for over 30 minutes and it's still returning data. Ugh. I'm having a hell of a time tracking this bug down.

Man, Five Nights at Freddie's has some amazing reviews.

Set in a parallel universe in which keeping a door closed uses electricity, Five Nights at Freddy's is a heartwarming game centering around 4 close friends at Freddy Krueger's Pizza restaurant. The 4 friends are Freddy Krueger, Bugs Bunny, Chicken the Duck, and Foxy the Pirate. These 4 goofy buddies are lovable children's attractions who love to stay active after-hours to stay in shape, but they also play silly pranks to keep themselves entertained.

The 3 close buddies that stick together are Freddy, Bugs, and Chicken. They act similarly, jogging around the halls for exercise to stay in shape and provide a great example for kids. The 4th is Fauxy the Pirate. Foxy is unique in that he is very camera-shy, but if you keep the cameras off him, he'll find it irresistable to rush to your office to give you a big ol' hug.

In this game, you play as a night watchguard to keep their wacky antics under control. Sometimes they might try to pull a fast one on you, so you have to make use of faulty electronics to monitor them. If they try sneaking up on you in your office, you have to shut the doors to keep their goofiness in line. The game mechanics centre around power consumption, if you run out of power, you have no lights to make sure they don't sneak up on you to give you a wedgie or something.

My kids love this game, and it's something the whole family can enjoy. 8/10.

Inspired by the sensational and tragic encounter between Rich Evans and the Showbiz Pizza Bear that captivated 20th century America, Chill Week at Chuckee's immerses you as a dirt poor security guard desperate enough to undertake the task of being sodomized by a mechanical fox with pneumatic genitals for $120 a week. Along with Foxy "Kenyan Murder Machine" Fox, other character include Bonnie the Bunny, Chica the Duck that should be a goose because of awful teeth, and of course renowned music box/skeletal piledriver Freddy Fazbear. Try to preserve the sanctity of your pooper by carefully managing your power supply in elaborate tower defense gameplay to protect yourself from furries that inhumanly scream in your face at the volume of a meteor impact.

Getready4freddy

Dr Dogg

Any way to get rid of notices of pending trades that aren't pending at all? Also every trade ends in error message for me lately, even if it's successful, anybody else experiencing this?

What as in a stuck green notification? Get someone to send you a trade offer and it resets after you check it. Can be a dummy one that you can cancel.

Edit: Hang on a sec then.

Sometimes I think Steam makes it intentionally difficult for me to fix bugs in Enhanced Steam.

A lot of users reported that highlighting stops working for them if they change their Steam profiles to private. It has to do with the API that pulls a list of games a particular user owns, which requires your profile to be private. Enhanced Steam *tries* to get a list of apps you own this way first (to cut down on the number of total API calls) then after that will get the rest of the apps on the page using a different API that is somewhat slower.

So I changed my profile to private - and their API server is still returning results for my owned games, even though it shouldn't be. Maybe it's cached, but it's been private now for over 30 minutes and it's still returning data. Ugh. I'm having a hell of a time tracking this bug down.

He's sharpening a knife right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom