• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

What as in a stuck green notification? Get someone to send you a trade offer and it resets after you check it. Can be a dummy one that you can cancel.

Edit: Hang on a sec then.

1 disappeared, was it your doing? another still there ...

edited: now both disappeared, thanks!

Dr Dogg

1 disappeared, was it your doing? another still there ...

I've only had it stick with 1 and a new offer resets it back. I've canceled it my end so fingers crossed it shifts at yours. Last time this happened to me I was stuck with a notification for about a bloody week before it disappeared.

Burekma

Sometimes I think Steam makes it intentionally difficult for me to fix bugs in Enhanced Steam.

A lot of users reported that highlighting stops working for them if they change their Steam profiles to private. It has to do with the API that pulls a list of games a particular user owns, which requires your profile to be private. Enhanced Steam *tries* to get a list of apps you own this way first (to cut down on the number of total API calls) then after that will get the rest of the apps on the page using a different API that is somewhat slower.

So I changed my profile to private - and their API server is still returning results for my owned games, even though it shouldn't be. Maybe it's cached, but it's been private now for over 30 minutes and it's still returning data. Ugh. I'm having a hell of a time tracking this bug down.

If you are using Valve's official API, that's how it's supposed to work.

GetOwnedGames returns a list of games a player owns along with some playtime information, if the profile is publicly visible. Private, friends-only, and other privacy settings are not supported unless you are asking for your own personal details (ie the WebAPI key you are using is linked to the steamid you are requesting).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you are using Valve's official API, that's how it's supposed to work.

Yep, just saw that. Looks like it'll return my own information since it's using my API key to pull the data (even though my profile is private). Hmmm... Well I'll just have to improvise I guess.

Panda Rin

That's good to hear I've been tempted to get it. How barebones does it feel being EA?

it's definitely missing some content, but it feels nearly complete. It's an interesting twist on the genre.

Basically you can't screw up. One hit is a KO. If your party is wiped, it's game over and you have to start all over (roguelike elements). I've played through it twice so far, and I died on the third level, and I didn't even make it out of the first level on my second playthrough. It's really challenging, and it's more than just your typical turn-based strategy.

Marow

Wow... I just finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and it was nothing short of fantastic. I can't say I've felt like this with games lately. Revengeance has this "flow" that just makes me excited and giddy like a little kid. Made me constantly think "Did I do that?!".

Wow.

Just wow.

Wow... I just finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and it was nothing short of fantastic. I can't say I've felt like this with games lately. Revengeance has this "flow" that just makes me excited and giddy like a little kid. Made me constantly think "Did I do that?!".

Wow.

Just wow.
Yeah, I'm with you there. Most games take themselves way too seriously in trying to be badass with flourishing animations and whatnot, it usually just makes me roll my eyes, but I thought Revengeance pulled it off with heart pumping gusto.

KingDirk

Wow.

Just wow.

steve-urkel-did-i-do-that-676x540.png

ArjanN

jshackles, you heard the man. You know what you must do.

it also doesn't help that lots of games only appear on the coming soon list very late or not at all.

I think half the games releasing in August weren't on the coming soon list in July at all.

Not Valve's fault necessarily of course, given that for a lot of them that information is only available very late or they're 'surprise' releases.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Wow.

Just wow.
It's a fucking good game, that's for sure. Extremely fast-paced, at least for the kind of games I use to play. One of the best games I've played this year.

Is it normal that the video quality is abysmal on Twitch? Ain't they the biggest game streaming site? Shameful performance.
About the game. I've never played any Dead Rising game but I am interested in this one. One thing I noticed. When there are zombies very near by often the player doesn't kill them, just walks by them, even when they try to grapple them. This makes me uneasy. I have the urge to never get hit or touched by Zombies/Enemies and not leave anyone alive. In this stream and other gameplay videos it seems like the game is not intended to be played like that. It makes me feel uneasy to see the player getting grappled so often and Zombies walking so close by. It makes me very uneasy, I don't know why?

EDIT: Good Lord, two times dead-last post on the page today! Left to be a forsaken post without any replies..

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
JA2 gold is the original JA2 and its expansion pack, Unfinished Business. It's good.

Don't know anything about Wildfire.

Wildfire is a standalone expansion.

Okay, thanks you two. I think I'll wait on buying Wildfire with card money for now if it's just a standalone expansion.

Oh man! I just got a 90% off Chicken Shoot Gold coupon after crafting a badge.

Apparently this reviewer got the same coupon:

Should I bite?

Why buy that when you can get multiple copies of Bad Rats for the same price?

Jawmuncher

Is it normal that the video quality is abysmal on Twitch? Ain't they the biggest game streaming site? Shameful performance.
About the game. I've never played any Dead Rising game but I am interested in this one. One thing I noticed. When there are zombies very near by often the player doesn't kill them, just walks by them, even when they try to grapple them. This makes me uneasy. I have the urge to never get hit or touched by Zombies/Enemies and not leave anyone alive. In this stream and other gameplay videos it seems like the game is not intended to be played like that. It makes me feel uneasy to see the player getting grappled so often and Zombies walking so close by. It makes me very uneasy, I don't know why?

EDIT: Good Lord, two times dead-last post on the page today! Left to be a forsaken post without any replies..

I got you bro.

The sheer amount of zombies is a DR staple and one of the reasons I love the series so much. You're never going to kill them all and you're going to get hit or grabbed. You have to plan accordingly to make it through as you go from objective to objective.

Deitus

I understand what you mean. I think ultimately it comes down to viewing the game as a GAME, and not as a horror game. In a horror game, you want to keep your distance from zombies, and when anything threatens to attack you, you either run far away or kill it mercilessly.

But Dead Rising is far too goofy to be taken seriously like that. The zombies are far too slow and dumb to really pose a threat. Plus, so many of the weapons and items in the series are designed to murder zombies in comedic ways (or in some cases you put something over their heads and watch them run into things). They are playthings more than they are monsters.

A large volume of zombies can be an obstacle blocking you from getting from point A to B, but even when you push through them, you just have to cut a swath through a horde of zombies as if you were digging a tunnel. You eventually get comfortable just being around them, but just slightly out of reach, especially since they don't even hurt all that much if they grab you. I haven't watched the stream, but I would assume the person in question got a little bit too comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom