• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
From what I've heard, it's more of a "remake" rather than a "remaster". I think "Inspired by the original" pretty much sums it up. I'm so excited, I absolutely loved the original.

There was a point back in the day where everytime was spent trying to figure out how to survive Shadowgate. I had the NES version at home, and my classroom at the time had an AppleIIGS, so alot of the time when everyone else was number munching, I was still figuring out Shadowgate. Thankfully my teacher at the time was pretty cool about it so I never got in trouble playing a real game in class lol.

I got up to the LK+LP blocking part and gave up after 15 minutes or so. :X I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

For that, you actually have to block. Occasionally the dude will attack, and if you're within a certain range near him, you do a blocking animation. Moving back isn't enough.

Also, I'm using a 360 controller, and the bumpers and triggers are mapped to those combinations, LP+LK, LP+HP, etc. So maybe using that would help.

I got to the cancelling the super into the max super, and that had me stumped. You have to do the command for the max super as you're doing the animation for the first super, and I was like what, how, I cant move the stick that quickly.

Then I looked it up and since the motions for the end of the super and the beginning of the max super are the same, they counted for both, so I had less motions to make than I thought.

I will never have the focus of mind to do cancels like that in an actual match, but I felt accomplished for learning.

Jawmuncher

King is the only character I can actually use in KOF. Though I did like the army female with the crazy hair. But she's a charge character and I'm just not quick enough with them.

KingDirk

It could be improved by removing the vocals from the songs, especially Rules of Nature.

Man, I want to agree with you as I think the song is kinda sub-Linkin Park nonsense but it just works SO WELL with what's going on that this is a bridge I cannot cross. Also, the music during the Mistral fight was cool was the shiiiiiiiiit.

Off-topic, but I get married in 33 hours! I am so beyond excited right now that I don't even know how to cope.

dot

King is the only character I can actually use in KOF. Though I did like the army female with the crazy hair. But she's a charge character and I'm just not quick enough with them.

Huh, didn't realize there were charge characters in the game...no wonder i couldn't do anything with her.

kurahador

It could be improved by removing the vocals from the songs, especially Rules of Nature.

agwXgRp.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually for some reason really like it when games have songs with lyrics in em

that airport moment in max payne 3 for instance

Leona.

She's a lot of fun to use and one of my favorite characters in the series. Unfortunately she's garbage in XIII. Probably the worst character in the game.

Jawmuncher

Leona.

She's a lot of fun to use and one of my favorite characters in the series. Unfortunately she's garbage in XIII. Probably the worst character in the game.

Apparently my favorite characters being garbage tier is just a requirement. Happens to me in so many fighting games .

kevin1025

Banned
From what I've heard, it's more of a "remake" rather than a "remaster". I think "Inspired by the original" pretty much sums it up. I'm so excited, I absolutely loved the original.

How does the original compare to Shadowgate 64? That's the only one I've gotten to play over the years.

zkylon

zkylewd
I agree. The most memorable music moments in games for me have lyrics with them.
it's not a necessity for me to enjoy an ost but i totally appreciate it being there

i'm always expecting songs with lyrics to show the seams of the looping but they're usually really well done so it's very nice when it breaks your expectations

wish more games would actually do licensed music in smart ways

spec ops was filled with this and it was effective as fuck

What a thrill....
i give my life

not for honor but for youuuuuuuuuuu

Nier best ost has vocal in it too.
yeah, nier ost is godly

the gibberish-speak thing they came up with was also all kinds of genius in so many levels

Miguel81

I'm playing To the Moon and the feels are coming on strong. It's gonna end up crushing me, isn't it?

How does the original compare to Shadowgate 64? That's the only one I've gotten to play over the years.

The original and Beyond Shadowgate(TurboGrafx CD) are so much better than 64.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The original Shadowgate is a point and click adventure game, whereas Shadowgate 64 was kind of a 3D first person adventure game so it's somewhat hard to compare.

kevin1025

Banned
The original Shadowgate is a point and click adventure game, whereas Shadowgate 64 was kind of a 3D first person puzzle platformer so it's somewhat hard to compare.

Ah, okay. Just watched the side by side trailer on Steam to see the difference. Looking forward to this new version for sure!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Off-topic, but I get married in 33 hours! I am so beyond excited right now that I don't even know how to cope.

Congratulations. Remember to drink copious amounts of alcohol prior to the ceremony.

On second thought, you probably shouldn't do the latter.

KingDirk

I'm playing To the Moon and the feels are coming on strong. It's gonna end up crushing me, isn't it?

Oh goddamn yes they are. I went into that game completely blind, and when the DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED MORE ABOUT RIVER
autism stuff
popped up...it crushed me. By the end of the game I had actually cried on a few occasions. I have a personal involvement in that kind of stuff, yeah, but holy moly I was not prepared for it.

When you're done feel free to PM me if you want to and I will totally talk about how I bawled like a baby. =)

Congratulations. Remember to drink copious amounts of alcohol prior to the ceremony.

On second thought, you probably shouldn't do the latter.

Wait, are you saying I should just get drunk and skip the ceremony? =P

Caerith

But the way the songs were mixed so the vocals only came in during the climax of any given fight was one of the many things that are amazing about that game.

Firebrand

Huh. Might have been posted, but Civilization: Beyond Earth is 43% off on GMG, or £22.50, with voucher "01S6ZC-JVSB28-JRW7X4" (25% discount + 25% voucher). That's quite a large discount on a pre-order. (Of course, the full price is £40 which a bit high - a boxed copy is no more than £27 on Amazon.)

Jawmuncher

Are Borderland 2 DLC worth it for the increased GOTY price? It's 11€ while Borderlands 2 is 5€? Are they good?

Did you play BL1?
The content there is good but it depends on how much of a BL fan you are. Some people play the campaign and that more than enough content. Others finished that and need more.
If you've never played BL its gonna come down to how much you like loot.

Reuenthal

Banned
Did you play BL1?
The content there is good but it depends on how much of a BL fan you are. Some people play the campaign and that more than enough content. Others finished that and need more.
If you've never played BL its gonna come down to how much you like loot.

No, but BL are games that I wanted to try and didn't find the opportunity so far. I might get the first too since it's cheap. Or just GOTY BL2. Currently I have BL2 and BL1 in my cart. It's strange that the first is more expensive than the non GOTY version though.

KingDirk

No, but BL are the games that I wanted to try and didn't find the opportunity so far. I might get the first too since it's cheap. Or just GOTY BL2. It's strange that the first is more expensive though.

One of my friends has been pressuring me to get BL2 to play with him and I finally broke down today and did it. And I had a principled stance for not supporting Gearbox and everything. Blah. I'm weak.

Jawmuncher

No, but BL are games that I wanted to try and didn't find the opportunity so far. I might get the first too since it's cheap. Or just GOTY BL2. Currently I have BL2 and BL1 in my cart. It's strange that the first is more expensive than the non GOTY version though.

ITS A FREE WEEKEND FOR BL2 PLAY IT FIRST THAT WAY AND DECIDE
I will say that the sheer amount of content you get with the GOTY BL2 is well worth the asking price if you like it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think there's anything worth your time in boredlands unless you're playing with a friend (in which case it's pretty alright but imo still pretty bad)

Was trying to play RE Revelations, and I started the game on Infernal since I've already beat the 3DS version. It adds tons of enemies right at the start of the game, and each one is a bullet sponge. I think I'm supposed to run away and dodge their attacks, but the dodge mechanic if fucking random in this game. When I actually try to use it it never works, but sometimes I dodge attacks without even wanting to. This feels so bad after playing RE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom