• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came here to post that. Never change SteamComm, never change.

Honestly, if you make it a day on the internet without someone calling you a bundle of sticks you're not trying hard enough imo.

Meanwhile, Invisible, Inc. continues to impress. There are a few little bugs here and there, and it might be a bit overpriced at this stage, but it's a pretty unique game. Incidentally, I accidentally discovered that it has pinch to zoom support while playing on my W8 tablet; so it's pretty much guaranteed to show up on iOS and Android at some point, I'd wager.

Hugstable

Banned
It happens to a lot of people, so I wouldn't feel too bad. Hey, at least you weren't still using a Drake Sword. And the fact that you gimped yourself for so long, means that you probably got really good at the game out of necessity, so there's that.

But yeah, that might account for some of the issues you had up to now (especially since Ornstein is crazy resistant to lightning).

Damn once I revert it then I should basically become a Dark Souls god and laugh as everything dies before my blade. Probably explains why I have over 70 hours playing this game so far, Anor Londo took me quite a while to get through.

def sim

Be thankful that KOF13 adopted the more lenient inputs like SF4 has. the NeoGeo era KOFs were so hard because the inputs were strict as hell.

Oh, so it has lenient inputs. If it's like SF4, wiggling the stick on the bottom half of the gate will execute the move in the pic above just fine.

Wok

I really wish Steam would allow you multiple wishlists, mine is getting unwieldy =/

I don't understand whishlists more than 10 games long. It is pointless to add more games unless you plan to buy them all during sales. If you want a game, you can find it on the store by using the search box anyway.

KOF's execution for me is hard just getting used to those forward then back rolls to do some of the supers.

Like for:

D, DF, F, DF, D, DB, B

I keep doing:

D, DF, F, UF, F, DF, D, DB, B

For some reason having to rotate back makes me take the first QCF too far, and I end up jumping. Not a big worry though. I love fighting games, but I'm super casual about execution. With SFIV I don't even bother to try stuff with tighter links, training room time is just not something that I'm going to do when getting gaming time period can be hard these days.

JakeD

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JakeD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-7BBC67DDF48A22BD - Taken by Cheddahz
Two Brothers -- MB-FE8373EDFB279CF6 - Taken by gaiadyne

humble links

derExperte

I don't understand whishlists more than 10 games long. It is pointless to add more games unless you plan to buy them all during sales. If you want a game, you can find it on the store by using the search box anyway.

But I forget that I want a game. Or the names of the ones I want. Some of us are old and our brains are starting to malfunction.

It helps you remember games that looked cool when you first heard of them but felt you'd get them in a sale. And there are so many games coming out these days that it's just really hard to keep track.

MK has had simple inputs for ages, dunno about SkullGirls. SG kinda seemed like your average Marvel-style inputs, which were already simple.

Skullgirls uses SF controls through and through with a little bit of Marvel tossed in (it's 6 button SF classic layout with two button combinations used for throw/taunt/tag/etc.).

MK has always used a variation of the SF move set, but instead of charge moves, they replaced them with double inputs (b,b,f attack or whatever). They also dropped the diagonals from the quarter/half circular inputs.

As to how lenient each is, dunno if they accept shortcuts like the SRK motion being allowed as df,df in SF4.

Honestly, if you make it a day on the internet without someone calling you a bundle of sticks you're not trying hard enough imo.

Meanwhile, Invisible, Inc. continues to impress. There are a few little bugs here and there, and it might be a bit overpriced at this stage, but it's a pretty unique game. Incidentally, I accidentally discovered that it has pinch to zoom support while playing on my W8 tablet; so it's pretty much guaranteed to show up on iOS and Android at some point, I'd wager.

Fuck Klei. Can I comment that on your review? ;)
The game looks awesome but FUCK Klei.
I'm going to eventually have to have someone buy it from Russia and gift it to me once they add achievements/controller support.

Beelzebubs

I've spent a fairly amount of time putting your GAF usernames as aliases on steam, to keep track who are everyone of you.

I'd had a better time if that time were spent removing the hairs of my head one by one.

This is why my online name everywhere is now Beelzebubs except LoL (BeelzebubsUK on my NA account) and WoW (Bubs).

SPEEDRUNNERS, NOW!
FREE RANDOM GAMES FOR ALL 3 PLAYERS IF ANY OF YOU CAN BE THE WINNER IN A FULL RACE! (official maps)

1. DunderHassan
2. Ozium
3. RionaaM

DON'T DO IT, IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR TIME!

(yes, i'm bored to hell)

Oh gosh I got to the end of KOF13's second tutorial and I can't deal with cancelling supers into other supers. My hands weren't meant to contort like this!

That's actually very easy. I find it hard to pull the diagonal>down>right/left moves instead. They are so weird.

If you are playing with the 360 pad (like me), LB is LP+HP at the same time so use that when cancelling supers in the tutorial.

Grief.exe

Fuck Klei. Can I comment that on your review? ;)
The game looks awesome but FUCK Klei.
I'm going to eventually have to have someone buy it from Russia and gift it to me once they add achievements/controller support.

All due to the lack of achievements in Don't Starve? Seems a bit much.

2Z8KRja.png

Ozium

I was attacked by the dont starve forum members for asking about achievements during the summer sale... their fanbase, parroting the words of klei, made me not want to purchase it or any of their games.. THIS IS HUGE. say what you want but klei has alienated an entire market with this move.

And finally, if you're a person who has bought Invisible, Inc., I've made a note here to remove you from my friends list the next time I do spring cleaning. :p
Did you play it? It looks interesting, don't know how it plays and feels though.
--
was found again in the files:
its codenamed 'Freeman' btw :p
I seriously have my doubts about this one. No dpad and I doubt a touchpad will be a formidable replacement. Love that there are touchpads though. Strategy games should take very good usage of them. But again, the omission of dual joysticks seems like a bad thing for fps/tps. I watched videos of people playing fps with the prototype and honestly it does look not only not better than dual sticks but not even on par.
I wrote in another thread what I'd like to have (don't care if it doesn't make sense :p)
dual sticks, two touchpads, dpad akin to vita/ds4, at least 4 buttons in the centre (which are programmable lcd), a touchscreen in the centre.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
SPEEDRUNNERS, NOW!
FREE RANDOM GAMES FOR ALL 3 PLAYERS IF ANY OF YOU CAN BE THE WINNER IN A FULL RACE! (official maps)

1. DunderHassan

DON'T DO IT, IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR TIME!

(yes, i'm bored to hell)
I don't even want the games, can I play for fun?

...I suck :(

Jawmuncher

how is not giving the consumer what they want a good move?
how is losing potential customers a good move?

Why does no one ever think of the audience that doesn't want achievements at all.
That has to be an audience to.

I dont even know what the fuck im talking about

Ozium

Why does no one ever think of the audience that doesn't want achievements at all.
That has to be an audience to.

I dont even know what the fuck im talking about

that audience can just ignore them
I can't just magically make achievements up.. the reason I wanted them for dont starve is it seems like there's a lot to do and achievements would give me things to work towards..

same reason I want cheevos in terraria

Turfster

it was set at 5000 bundles, they will re-adjust the bonus schemata so they all got unlocked

believe me

Yeah, but still.
I'd have thoughts 5000 bundles of Betrayer, Consortium and LBA2 would sell like crack cocaine.
Guess not.

Also, wow, Invisible Inc changed a lot since the last build I tried, just before it went EA.

The way I feel right now, I'll never buy another game they develop/publish.
While the main "symptom" would be the lack of achievements in Don't Starve on PC, the root cause of it all is that they've proven themselves to be unbelievably greedy assholes who don't value the feedback provided by and requests of their core fanbase.
When two of the questions big enough to make the Invisible, Inc. FAQ are (1) "Will this have achievements?" and (2) "What about controller support?" it seem that enough people who are interested in the game must ask about it if they included/answered them. And both answers are non-commital at best while the answer to (1) rubs salt in the wounds of fans they have pissed off with the Don't Starve achievement/trophy fiasco.

Will Invisible, Inc. support Steam Achievements?
More than likely, we aren't opposed to achievements in Invisible, Inc., however we don’t have any solid plans on those yet.

The bolded part of the response alludes to their being opposed to achievements in Don't Starve... and yet they still sold out to Sony and included them in the PS4 and Vita versions of the game leaving the PC as the only platform/version of the game without them.

When I was pissed off at Capcom for UMvC3, I refused to give them a single dollar for the game and I managed to buy any copy of the game used to do so (including my digital version, I think).
When I was pissed off at Aksys for the BBCS2E debacle, I also refused to give them money and bought the game used.

At the time I bought Don't Starve, I remember just hearing positive impressions about the game and so I picked it up in support of them. I should've done my research and found out about their refusal to include achievements as a design decision. But I only found out about it when I heard there was a version coming to PS4 and thought "I'll wait to play it until they inevitably patch in achievements since they already threw their principles out the window to get on Sony platforms." And that patch never came... so I haven't played the game and probably won't ever at this rate.

Just like my purchase of Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, if I was aware of how things would play out in the future, I would not have given the company my money when I did. :|

As I said, if someone gifted it to me, I'm not impolite enough to refuse the gift based on my principles regarding Klei... but my money will not line their pockets anytime soon.
If Invisible, Inc. made it into a humble bundle where I could split everything to charity as I normally do, then I could buy it for myself and not feel as if I compromised my stance as well.

I'd play Spedrunners gladly but it's not fun when there is a huge rift in skill :(
I need bad players. I should play with stump sometime.

Sick burn. If I were Stump, I'd count those as fighting words, buddy.
Dunder stops and taunts you if he's far enough ahead.

Seriously? People are getting this worked up over achievements??

ibotN18KxoB2Fc.gif

It's not simply the achievements... though personally, I get a great deal of enjoyment from the metagame of achievement hunting -- I find I simply enjoy games more when I can approach them this way. So much so that I have trouble playing games without them or if I've gotten them all -- some games transcend this issue for me -- games like Spelunky and Crimsonland and Crypt of the Necrodancer (as well as the Shmup/Run 'n' Gun/Fighting genres). But if it's any other genre, it matters to me. Not so much the whole trophy vs. achievement argument, but since games tend to lack a lot of replay value or strong incentive to do collecting or approach certain tasks, I like having something to work to and achievements/trophies fill this need for me.

Beyond that, there's a more important principle at stake here and it's something I think is very important:
How much does a developer really appreciate and value the feedback and support of their fanbase?

The answer Klei has shown, as far as I am concerned, when you read believe the lines here, is a resounding "we only care about getting paid."
For them to so stubbornly spurn the requests of fans to patch in achievements, especially when they could disable them by default and require players who want them to turn them on a la "The Stanley Parable", only to cave to the demands/requirements of Sony (twice!) in order to get their game on other platforms and then to continue to maintain that they're opposed to achievements in the game itself is pure bullshit.

Lain

With how many games there are on Steam I simply can't remember every single name of the interesting-looking games that I might be curious about should they ever be on sale/I have enough money to throw on them.

It also helps with sales, because I can quickly see which of the games I have some sort of interest about are on sale and at what price/discount instead of searching.

And the third use, importing it to isthereanydeals to have reminders sent to me when something is on sale at the price-points I'd buy them at.

Chariot

Just played a few missions of Invisible, Inc. until all my agents were dead. It was really fun, it's difficult, but in the end every bad that happened was my fault for not being cautious enough or bringing myself into recklessly into danger by pursuing more money than I could handle. Can't wait to try my second run tomorrow, now with more experience of what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom