• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

I've been messing around with it and it might be one end of my HDMI cord that is the problem, I tried the pack-in HDMI cable and it seems ok now.

I've been using that cable in my PS3 for a year and it decides to die the day I buy my PS4? I'm not convinced. Gonna play with it for a couple days I guess and see if it happens again.

Just curious, do the HDMI cables plugged into your PS4s wiggle a bit or are they pretty firm in place?

Lain

Started playing Sniper Elite III, courtesy of abracadaver, and completed the first two missions.
Took me 7 hours to do that since I was taking my time looking everywhere and reloading a lot in mission 2 as I experimented with things. For some reason, one of those devices that was supposed to cover the sound of my shots wasn't doing its job, so I had to clean the vehicle area with backstab kills, grabbing the corpse and walking step-pause-step to go hide them.

I've been having a lot of fun with lining up the shots or leading some soldiers around to backstab kill them and the game looks pretty good.

Wurst

I just got my first foil, and it couldn't have been more anticlimactic.
It's for Giana Sisters and goes for mere 0.13€.

First world problems, I know :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this image messing up the page for anyone else?

It's causing my browser to redirect to it from accessing this page and I can't even reply properly without switching to my outdated copy of IE because of the thread preview at the bottom.

All's fine here. I use Firefox (well, Waterfox).

Tektonic

I just got my first foil, and it couldn't have been more anticlimactic.
It's for Giana Sisters and goes for mere 0.13€.

First world problems, I know :D

Don't worry, whatever foil you get - unless it has a Waifu on it, no-one will buy it (looks at steam inventory)

Tektonic

has anyone used dispenser.tf?

I get to the step where the screen shows confirm cancel - putting the mouse anywhere but that box has the loading cursor. if i click confirm - nothing - page just refocuses (without box) (tried with chrome/internet explore)

The-Bean

It's causing my browser to redirect to it from accessing this page and I can't even reply properly without switching to my outdated copy of IE because of the thread preview at the bottom.

Yeah it was happening to me too. After removing the 'Steam linkfilter bypasser' addon for Firefox it's loading properly.

JaseC

has anyone used dispenser.tf?

I get to the step where the screen shows confirm cancel - putting the mouse anywhere but that box has the loading cursor. if i click confirm - nothing - page just refocuses (without box) (tried with chrome/internet explore)

Do you mean that the box doesn't go away or it just disappears? The latter is what's supposed to happen.

JaseC

it disappears... but i still have keys and no game. how long should it take?

I'd say no longer than 10-15 seconds. You don't have an add-on to disable the Steam Community link filter, do you, as per Bean's suggestion?

Tektonic

I'd say no longer than 10-15 seconds. You don't have an add-on to disable the Steam Community link filter, do you, as per Bean's suggestion?

no, no addons. everytime i've tried its failed - so maybe i should try a sandboxed browser. anyway just used tf2outpost and found someone to trade with. :)

JaseC

no, no addons. everytime i've tried its failed - so maybe i should try a sandboxed browser. anyway just used tf2outpost and found someone to trade with. :)

Strange. I had the same issue a week or two ago, but I eventually realised that the trade offer URL attached to my Dispenser account was out of date, haha. If you're purchasing anonymously and copying/pasting your current trade offer URL, though, then that's definitely not cause.

Phinor

One thing that might cause issues is if you are not logged into Dispenser.tf (through the Steam login thingie). In the past you were able to use Dispenser even without logging in, but couple of weeks ago I was after Defense Grid 2 and nothing happened when I tried to trade, just got a similar (same?) confirm screen. There's no warning or anything about logging in, it just didn't work even though I had the right trade offer URL etc. I decided to log in and that fixed the issue, whatever it was.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if you're under a NDR but are you able to say how complete the game is in it's current state?
The website says that videos of the game are OK to upload, so I don't think I am. I'll check out the different game modes tonight and let you know, as I barely explored it last night.

From what I've tried, the gameplay feels pretty similar to Nitronic Rush. You have boost, jumping, rolling and gliding, and the track I played had several paths.

Kiru

Do you have a steam chat link filter script installed? I used some other script before and that one didn't let me load community stuff and reloaded the page all the time. If that's the case you should deinstall it and install some other one.

Tried some steam link filter addon from firefox store and experienced the same thing you had going there. Seems to be the culprit. Use this one: Filter Disabler Script (Greasemonkey required)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah it was happening to me too. After removing the 'Steam linkfilter bypasser' addon for Firefox it's loading properly.

Do you have a steam chat link filter script installed? I used some other script before and that one didn't let me load community stuff and reloaded the page all the time. If that's the case you should deinstall it and install some other one.

Tried some steam link filter addon from firefox store and experienced the same thing you had going there. Seems to be the culprit. Use this one: Filter Disabler Script (Greasemonkey required)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm glad things are normal now.

C4rter

I didn't like Bloodrayne 2 compared to the first one. The first was a nice hack'n'slay Nazi gore fest.
The second one was way harder with crazy strong enemies and the fights against them took forever. At least that's what I recall.

Tektonic

Anyone want any of these before i send them to TradeBOT? free to a good (or not so good) home

HpI7noO.png

Tizoc

Due to my borked net I am avoiding downloading anything big since it'll take for fucking ever.
Ther are at least 2 games in the playfire rewards that I want to get the cash from and they are for playing the game for the first time, can someone post how to edit the file that'll make those games appear as if I've played them? Or does that require the game(s) to be installed first?

Tektonic

Due to my borked net I am avoiding downloading anything big since it'll take for fucking ever.
Ther are at least 2 games in the playfire rewards that I want to get the cash from and they are for playing the game for the first time, can someone post how to edit the file that'll make those games appear as if I've played them? Or does that require the game(s) to be installed first?

use SAM? here you can select the game, it'll look to steam & playfire you are playing...

Sendou

I managed to complete Lovely Planet. It's my perfect game #13. Major props to YianGaruga for helping me whenever I was stuck! Always being super helpful and even creating illustrative webm's. Below are my impressions.

lovelyplanetgjkan.png

Lovely Planet is like a refreshing breeze. From presentation to gameplay it offers something rarely seen with games. It's a first-person shooter at its core. Gameplay consists of going through short levels as fast you can while hitting all the "baddies" as the game calls them. There are about 100 of these shorts levels. In theory you could beat them quickly but perfecting them is another matter. Each level has three stars. One awarded for beating it, one for 100% accuracy and the final for beating the qualification time.

The presentation of this title really sets is apart. No doubt the developer has played Katamari Damacy but nevertheless the game manages to create its own unique identity. It's simplicity done right. Great use of colors. OST is one of the very best released this year. Each world has one track that then loops for those 15-20 stages but I feel each song with the exception of Lovely Swamp (more about that later) keeps you hooked and you come back to the OST even after those stages are over. Very cheery and nice contrast to the usual game music.

The actual level designs start very solidly. You feel good about playing and everything works. This lasts until the fourth world. Here what happens is nothing less but the worst quality dip I have ever seen in my 15 years or so of playing video games. The game goes from amazing to just mediocre or even bad. To understand the problems I had with this level you need to know that the game is heavily trial & error based. You try something that doesn't work and you adjust. Fortunately this wasn't too heavily present in the first three worlds. The fourth world introduces fog element that cuts your view distance heavily. That also amplifies the trial & error nature of the game while adding nothing positive to the mix. Also big part of the game is learning to feel where your shot goes (there is no cross-hair). In the fourth world there's many long shots you have to make. I never got good at making these shots where your target is moving and far away. Fog doesn't help here either. As if this wasn't enough the fourth world also has the worst background music by far. It's the kind of stuff you usually hear in adventure games in places you visit for less than minute. I certainly didn't feel good listening to this music for hours while trying to do complete these hard levels. Luckily after the fourth world the final world is solid and makes enduring it worth the while.

In addition to getting three stars in every level achievements also require you to search for secrets. They are a nice addition when you happen to stumble upon them but make less sense as levels get harder. When you are determined to hunt down them all I found guide absolutely necessary. In the later levels everything tries to kill you and it's not the kind of environment that encourages exploration. More so seeing how the game doesn't tell you what levels have secrets in them but rather just the total number of secrets remaining in each world. Hunting for these secrets also highlights some problems with the level design. At worst the levels are really broken in some of the most obvious ways. You could think this is intentional to allow pro players adopt faster tactics but with the latest patch the developer already patched some of them. It's not just that the levels are broken easily either. It's the smallest things that add up. The final polishing seems to be completely missing with the level design. Achievement set as a whole is solid but is a bit on the hard side.

As a conclusion I'd like to say that even if the game's concept just remotely interests you it's worth the asking price ($5.99/£3.49/4.39€). It's a game that's flawed at times but still leaves a really good aftertaste. If nothing else it's something you won't find on anywhere else on Steam. That's a feat that shouldn't be understated as Steam keeps growing.

fantomena

So.... I want to replay ME1 and ME3 soon (not ME2 sicne I have replayed it to death). But how do I get all the DLCs for 1 and 3? Heard stuff about the Bioware website itself and Bioware points..

Jawmuncher

I managed to complete Lovely Planet. It's my perfect game #13. Major props to YianGaruga for helping me whenever I was stuck! Always being super helpful and even creating illustrative webm's. Below are my impressions.

lovelyplanetgjkan.png

Lovely Planet is like a refreshing breeze. From presentation to gameplay it offers something rarely seen with games. It's a first-person shooter at its core. Gameplay consists of going through short levels as fast you can while hitting all the "baddies" as the game calls them. There are about 100 of these shorts levels. In theory you could beat them quickly but perfecting them is another matter. Each level has three stars. One awarded for beating it, one for 100% accuracy and the final for beating the qualification time.

The presentation of this title really sets is apart. No doubt the developer has played Katamari Damacy but nevertheless the game manages to create its own unique identity. It's simplicity done right. Great use of colors. OST is one of the very best released this year. Each world has one track that then loops for those 15-20 stages but I feel each song with the exception of Lovely Swamp (more about that later) keeps you hooked and you come back to the OST even after those stages are over. Very cheery and nice contrast to the usual game music.

The actual level designs start very solidly. You feel good about playing and everything works. This lasts until the fourth world. Here what happens is nothing less but the worst quality dip I have ever seen in my 15 years or so of playing video games. The game goes from amazing to just mediocre or even bad. To understand the problems I had with this level you need to know that the game is heavily trial & error based. You try something that doesn't work and you adjust. Fortunately this wasn't too heavily present in the first three worlds. The fourth world introduces fog element that cuts your view distance heavily. That also amplifies the trial & error nature of the game while adding nothing positive to the mix. Also big part of the game is learning to feel where your shot goes (there is no cross-hair). In the fourth world there's many long shots you have to make. I never got good at making these shots where your target is moving and far away. Fog doesn't help here either. As if this wasn't enough the fourth world also has the worst background music by far. It's the kind of stuff you usually hear in adventure games in places you visit for less than minute. I certainly didn't feel good listening to this music for hours while trying to do complete these hard levels. Luckily after the fourth world the final world is solid and makes enduring it worth the while.

In addition to getting three stars in every level achievements also require you to search for secrets. They are a nice addition when you happen to stumble upon them but make less sense as levels get harder. When you are determined to hunt down them all I found guide absolutely necessary. In the later levels everything tries to kill you and it's not the kind of environment that encourages exploration. More so seeing how the game doesn't tell you what levels have secrets in them but rather just the total number of secrets remaining in each world. Hunting for these secrets also highlights some problems with the level design. At worst the levels are really broken in some of the most obvious ways. You could think this is intentional to allow pro players adopt faster tactics but with the latest patch the developer already patched some of them. It's not just that the levels are broken easily either. It's the smallest things that add up. The final polishing seems to be completely missing with the level design. Achievement set as a whole is solid but is a bit on the hard side.

As a conclusion I'd like to say that even if the game's concept just remotely interests you it's worth the asking price ($5.99/£3.49/4.39€). It's a game that's flawed at times but still leaves a really good aftertaste. If nothing else it's something you won't find on anywhere else on Steam. That's a feat that shouldn't be understated as Steam keeps growing.

Thanks for the impressions. Was wondering how it would hold up for anyone trying to perfect it. Glad to know it holds up.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So.... I want to replay ME1 and ME3 soon (not ME2 sicne I have replayed it to death). But how do I get all the DLCs for 1 and 3? Heard stuff about the Bioware website itself and Bioware points..

ME1 DLC is free iirc. For 2 and 3 you have to buy Bioware Points through origin (they're pretty cheap on the Mexican Store) and then buy the DLC from Origin as well. You don't have to go to Bioware's site at all

JaseC

ME1 DLC is free iirc. For 2 and 3 you have to buy Bioware Points through origin (they're pretty cheap on the Mexican Store) and then buy the DLC from Origin as well. You don't have to go to Bioware's site

It's amusing how ridiculous this is. It's tantamount to having to purchase DLC on the Steam Store by using the overlay browser while inside the game in question.

Jawmuncher

ME1 DLC is free iirc. For 2 and 3 you have to buy Bioware Points through origin (they're pretty cheap on the Mexican Store) and then buy the DLC from Origin as well. You don't have to go to Bioware's site at all

Still the idea for points for DLC on a title is just dumb. Why EA allowed that for ME is beyond me. Hurts even more since if you don't use the Mexican store those things never go on sale.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Still the idea for points for DLC on a title is just dumb. Why EA allowed that for ME is beyond me. Hurts even more since if you don't use the Mexican store those things never go on sale.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Especially the prices for the ME3 ones. I managed to pick up all the DLC for Dragon Age 2 a couple of days ago for 26$, which is a pretty reasonable price imo. At least they will drop them for DAI, so that's something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom