• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was late at night when I posted this and I wonder what does the Angle Trackpads supposed to do?

2Z8KRja.png

So close and yet so far it looks like.
Sure are taking their sweet time like everything else they do.

Well, it's absolutely essential that they get this right by the time it ships. With software you can fix stuff later if something doesn't work, but with hardware its a lot harder. People from the 300 testers have already dropped v1 and returned to their preferred controller, because it was not good enough. I can't imagine Valve want the same to happen with the retail version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if these games will finally go on sale on Steam now that Atari randomly added cards.

Majesco. ;) They were half off throughout the Summer Sale. It was (and still is) the first time they'd been discounted since at least late 2010.

Jawmuncher

It was late at night when I posted this and I wonder what does the Angle Trackpads supposed to do?

Well, it's absolutely essential that they get this right by the time it ships. With software you can fix stuff later if something doesn't work, but with hardware its a lot harder. People from the 300 testers have already dropped v1 and returned to their preferred controller, because it was not good enough. I can't imagine Valve want the same to happen with the retail version.

Yeah this is a good point. Forgot the testers had the V1s.

Nzyme32

Seems like the smart move would be to avoid the gen1 controller and wait for the inevitable refreshes that will pop up. I wouldn't be surprised if they update the controller a fair bit year on year while keeping the basics pretty much constant

Good write-up, more people need to check the game out!
I'd just like to counter the criticism with my own opinion, and except for the collectibles which seem out of place, I think the game is perfect. World 4 is a matter of taste, I can see that, but I thought it was a nice change of pace. Since you need to learn the levels by heart through trial and error anyway, the limited visibility doesn't really change much.

Regarding the brokenness of the levels, I actually like that as well since it gives the game a higher skill ceiling and more possibilities for high-level play. The are levels which have a par time of around 30 seconds which can be beaten in around 10 if you take unconventional routes. That just enhances replayability in my view. Since the game has very simple mechanics (running, shooting, jumping. There is no way to accelerate or do any fancy stuff), the leaderboard times are really just differentiated by finding better routes and better execution of those routes.

I'd recommend the game to people who like twitchy shooters and difficult platformers like Super Meat Boy and Dustforce, where you might be stuck on a level for hours at a time before you perfect it. If that sounds good to you you need to check it out because it's cheap and full of awesomeness.

FloatOn

I played some resident evil 6 co-op yesterday. We finished the first chapter of Chris' campaign and basically the game just feels like any other generic 3rd person shooter.

There are some neat mechanics with the melee moves and sliding around but it's not enough... the wave based enemy encounters just kill it for me.

I should play RE4 again to get the taste out of my mouth. Or just wait on RE:remaster

I think I'll finish RE6 at some point but I can only handle it in small doses.

Seems like the smart move would be to avoid the gen1 controller and wait for the inevitable refreshes that will pop up. I wouldn't be surprised if they update the controller a fair bit year on year while keeping the basics pretty much constant

But would people want to buy it on a yearly basis?

Deques

A bunch of Borderlands 2 playfire rewards

• Borderlands 2 - unlock Token Gesture - £0.10
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Better Than Money - £0.10
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock First One's Free - £0.10
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Friendship Rules - £0.10
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Sugar Daddy - £0.20
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Cool Story, Bro - £0.20
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Bounty Hunter - £0.20
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock Decked Out - £0.25
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock So Much Blood! - £0.25
  • Borderlands 2 - unlock World Traveler - £0.50

Are they easy to do?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can't stop looking at Mountain. Something is clearly wrong with me.

985C65347457D69306F9A4D5BA93A07C14CA8D9C

I bought it on the Humble Store, emailed them (and the developer) to ask if they'd be giving out Steam keys for it but haven't heard anything from them. It's only cheap, but still.

Edit: I just checked my account and the Steam key is there, they just didn't let me know about it.

JaseC

Are they easy to do?

Token Gesture = Redeem 25 tokens. The game hands these out like candy.
Better Than Money = Purchase 5 items from the black market. You need Eridium for this and it's rare compared to cash, but the prices are appropriately low, at least initially.
First One's Free = Complete the first mission. Easy peasy.
Friendship Rules = Revive a friend from the "Fight for your life" phase. Easy peasy, provided you can find someone to play with.
Sugar Daddy = Tip Moxxi $10k. Easy enough provided you're willing to play the game long enough to raise the cash.
Cool Story, Bro = Finish the game. Don't bother.
Bounty Hunter = Complete 20 side missions. Again, easy enough provided you can stick with the game long enough.
Decked Out = Have purple gear in every slot. As above.
So Much Blood = Gunzerk continuously for 90 seconds. No idea on this as I played the Commando.
World Traveller = Visit all named locations. Don't bother.

Sendou

Regarding the brokenness of the levels, I actually like that as well since it gives the game a higher skill ceiling and more possibilities for high-level play. The are levels which have a par time of around 30 seconds which can be beaten in around 10 if you take unconventional routes. That just enhances replayability in my view. Since the game has very simple mechanics (running, shooting, jumping. There is no way to accelerate or do any fancy stuff), the leaderboard times are really just differentiated by finding better routes and better execution of those routes.

I should have clarified that a bit. I don't talk just about the levels being broken in that way. This is really hard to put to words but basically I think in a game like this everything should be in certain place for it to make sense. Not x-1 to the left or x+1 to the right but exactly at that spot. For example in 4-21 if you just go forward like you would logically do you fall down. There's no reason for it to be like that. It adds nothing. Other things might be cliffs you can drop down to but that won't kill you. Forcing player restart as a built-in logic of the game (not counting special cases or indeed bugs) is not a good design in my opinion.

This probably makes no sense or you just disagree and that's fine. I just notice these small things when playing games. When navigating 3D space in this fashion in games everything has to be there for a reason. They also have to be in a certain place. They can't be anywhere else. I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a perfect example of this kind of design philosophy. Getting it right requires a lot of manpower so I don't hold all this against Lovely Planet too much.

Oh and I do agree more people need to check it out!

I should have clarified that a bit. I don't talk just about the levels being broken in that way. This is really hard to put to words but basically I think in a game like this everything should be in certain place for it to make sense. Not x-1 to the left or x+1 to the right but exactly at that spot. For example in 4-21 if you just go forward like you would logically do you fall down. There's no reason for it to be like that. It adds nothing. Other things might be cliffs you can drop down to but that won't kill you. Forcing player restart as a built-in logic of the game (not counting special cases or indeed bugs) is not a good design in my opinion.

This probably makes no sense or you just disagree and that's fine. I just notice these small things when playing games. When navigating 3D space in this fashion in games everything has to be there for a reason. They also have to be in a certain place. They can't be anywhere else. I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a perfect example of this kind of design philosophy. Getting it right requires a lot of manpower so I don't hold all this against Lovely Planet too much.

Oh and I do agree more people need to check it out!

I think I get what you mean now. Basically "sloppy" design that isn't very well thought out? I think I can agree with that to some degree, but since it's a one man project (I think, at least mostly) I can excuse that. Now I want a game like LP made by Nintendo though. :D

Deques

Better Than Money = Purchased 5 items from the black market. You need Eridium for this and it's rare compared to cash, but the prices are appropriately low, at least initially.
Friendship Rules = Revive a friend from the "Fight for your life" phase. Easy peasy, provided you can find someone to play with.
Sugar Daddy = Tip Moxxi $10k. Easy enough provided you're willing to play the game long enough to raise the cash.
Bounty Hunter = Complete 20 side missions. Again, easy enough provided you can stick with the game long enough.
So Much Blood = Gunzerked continuously for 90 seconds. No idea on this as I played the Commando.

Seems like I wont bother >.<

Zeknurn

Better Than Money = Purchased 5 items from the black market. You need Eridium for this and it's rare compared to cash, but the prices are appropriately low, at least initially.
So Much Blood = Gunzerked continuously for 90 seconds. No idea on this as I played the Commando.

Bah, I've already done all of these. I was hoping they'd run some of the DLC achievements instead.

milena87

Are they easy to do?

The So Much Blood! needs time and of course you need to play with a Berzerk. I think you need to be at least level 26 and you need to max some abilities in the Gunzerker's skill tree. It can take a lot less if you find someone to powerlevel you.

What happens if you already have achievements that are on Playfire Rewards? I already have a bunch of the Blands 2 ones, do I just do them again or do they count already since I've done them?

What happens if you already have achievements that are on Playfire Rewards? I already have a bunch of the Blands 2 ones, do I just do them again or do they count already since I've done them?

You won't be able to get them at all, unless you make a new PF account during the reward time so that they're scanned for the first time.
I wonder can the Borderlands 2 Playfire rewards be done during the free weekend, do they count?

yes

derExperte

No rewards for you. Playfire counts old awards and gives you active rewards once and that's when making the account.

edit: I'm certain I was the fastest but GAF ordered the posts by poster name. In reverse order. Unfair.

Annubis

Nothing.
You need to not have them before and get them in the time period (which means at least a day before the last day if you want to make sure it gets credited in time).

You won't be able to get them at all, unless you make a new PF account during the reward time so that they're scanned for the first time.

Nothing. You don't get anything.

No rewards for you. Playfire counts old awards and gives you active rewards once and that's when making the account.

Nothing.
You need to not have them before and get them in the time period (which means at least a day before the last day if you want to make sure it gets credited in time).

Lame, serves me right for playing my games for once.

Thanks for letting me know. :)

JaseC

Is that still the case? I assumed GMG stopped incentivising sign-ups when it began being less generous with the rewards.

Jeez, Hitman Absolution loves to throw achievements at you, I'm only 7hrs in and I've already gotten 47% of all the achievements, if all the achievements are this easy it may become another game to add to my 100% completion pile.

It's also my first Hitman game I've played for any major extent of time, and I'm really enjoying it, I hear Blood Money is the best of the hitman series though so I'll be sure to give that a shot after I finish Absolution(Currently on Part 2, just finished shaving lenny)

Tektonic

let's see if some sucker, i mean collector, will pay $5 for it :)
i think it'll lose it's value every second as others idle trace vector (from some cheap bundle)

Deques

First time i've seen this.... What price should I set??

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/Z1HnmqB.png[/IMG]

Nothing, give it to me :)

Just received a mail from Greenlight Bundle that I got a key to Depth Hunter 2. I thought they wouldn't give out keys to the second game at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom