• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry if this was asked before, but on the Alien Isolation store page it says, "This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing". Canada isn't English anymore?! Or should this just be ignored?

It's a new warning that Valve added just the other day. It looks to the language list to determine support, but if one isn't present then the error will appear on every store since as far as Steam can tell there are no supported languages.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Truffle Saga -- MB-04EC3A78A07D6223 - Taken by XShagrath. 4 entrants total.
Pressured -- MB-2B807DFD847C2132 - Taken by Milamber. 7 entrants total.
ESCHALON BOOK III -- MB-995CDF45D293D2A6 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 2 entrants total. - Taken by Gvaz. 7 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-B13256C27467B714 - Taken by Annubis. 12 entrants total.
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-929EEDF95800A93F - Taken by Aitor. 3 entrants total.
Numba Deluxe -- MB-3A382A11D1795949 - Taken by Htown. 3 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-307BF13E95ACC5F6 - Taken by Haunted. 7 entrants total.

t1408744423z1.png

Sorry if this was asked before, but on the Alien Isolation store page it says, "This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing". Canada isn't English anymore?! Or should this just be ignored?

It seems like Steam has implemented this as an automatic message based on your language and the languages listed on the store page. And since Alien has no supported listed languages at all, everbody should see that right now.

Guys, quick question. My boyfriend who lives in the Bahamas bought me Child of Light on Steam and gifted it to me, however when I go to accept the gift it says

"This is a restricted gift which can only be redeemed in these countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Bahamas, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, Brazil"

So... Are we both screwed? If I accept it I can't redeem it and because Steam support is crap he probably can't get a refund?

Hugstable

Banned
After 102 hours, my first Dark Souls playthrough has come to an end! I have finally conquered this game including the DLC stuff! What an experience, I don't think I'll ever forget my time playing this game.

jBKgv0t.png

liezryou

Guys, quick question. My boyfriend who lives in the Bahamas bought me Child of Light on Steam and gifted it to me, however when I go to accept the gift it says

"This is a restricted gift which can only be redeemed in these countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Bahamas, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, Brazil"

So... Are we both screwed? If I accept it I can't redeem it and because Steam support is crap he probably can't get a refund?

Have him logon to your account via web and accept it?

JaseC

I'd try asking for a refund as you might get lucky. As for the warning, that's displayed on the store page and on the cart page, so I've no idea how he missed it, haha.

Edit: Oh, Liez's idea is a good one. That's what I get for posting at 3am. ;)

After 102 hours, my first Dark Souls playthrough has come to an end! I have finally conquered this game including the DLC stuff! What an experience, I don't think I'll ever forget my time playing this game.

jBKgv0t.png

I'm tempted to start a playthrough, but I still have so many other games to finish.

Also, still available if any one wants:

Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-54BD8BDDF0FA8B75 - Taken by MillionStabs. 1 entrants total.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126481631&postcount=2813

Have him logon to your account via web and accept it?

Hmm, that's a nice idea. Let's try that

I'd try asking for a refund as you might get lucky. As for the warning, that's displayed on the store page and on the cart page, so I've no idea how he missed it, haha.

Edit: Oh, Liez's idea is a good one. That's what I get for posting at 3am. ;)

I'm the brains of our relationship, doesn't surprise me he overlooked it :p

Spelunky levels are always randomly based on a seed, and the seed for they daily changes every day. The leaderboard for it is also cleared every day.
Ah, so they are unique. Well, hope these challenges will continue in the far cheap future, too ;)
--
I just looked up the 2K deals for Bioshock Infinite. The game is region locked it seems. No chance of getting it cheap from Russia once its extra discount day comes :(
--
I've been also looking at a bit older, recommended titles. Binding of Isaac gets lot of love but I find it hard to "get" the game from the trailers. Anyone played it, care to post some impressions, please?
Also, a Rebirth version is apparently coming out. Is that a DLC or a sequel. Looked very similar to the normal version.

Stuff...
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Terraria -- MB-DA024967A96CB4BC - Taken by wagamer. 3 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-4926E6C2ABFF17E5 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1408734883z1.png

Looks like him using my account worked, it's in my library now and SteamDB doesn't mention anything about region locks on actually playing it. Thanks for the tip!

Deitus

jBKgv0t.png

Congratulations. It is such a satisfying feeling.

reminder :

Csmhr.png

->European game's night<- so obviously euro folks preferred for latency reasons.

t1408899600z0.png

Slots :
1 - Robert J. Sullivan
2 - dark_inferno
3 - Copons
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

I'll make a server shortly before the game's start, IP will be given then. Leave your Steam profile.
Mine : http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan/.

EDIT : pm me or I might miss your post.

you'll be able to invite friends to the game on the last day if there's some free slots

edit : today i learned that by using adblock i don't give any ad revenue to gaf and every other website i visit
the year is 2014, it is a time of great innovation

JaseC

Looks like him using my account worked, it's in my library now and SteamDB doesn't mention anything about region locks on actually playing it. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, you would have seen a similar "This is restricted gift which can only be played in ..." error message in your inventory if it were region-locked at the runtime level. Ubi only goes that far with its Russian subs for its more recent AAA titles.

Has anybody played both Endless Legend and Civilization V, and how do they compare?

For the longest time, I couldn't stand those kinds of games, they were tedious and too complex. But my friend wanted to try out Civ, so we played it together, and it turned out to be a blast. I'm not sure why... It's simple enough to actually play, and complex enough to keep it interesting.

Endless Legend looks neat, but if it's much different compared to Civ, I probably wouldn't like it. I like Amplitude, and the Endless lore is pretty neat, so I think I'd like to play Legend.

Deitus

Ah, so they are unique. Well, hope these challenges will continue in the far cheap future, too ;)

I don't see why they wouldn't. Since it's just a random seed, there is basically zero effort to continue them indefinitely. The only question would be how long the community continues to participate in them.

I've been also looking at a bit older, recommended titles. Binding of Isaac gets lot of love but I find it hard to "get" the game from the trailers. Anyone played it, care to post some impressions, please?
Also, a Rebirth version is apparently coming out. Is that a DLC or a sequel. Looked very similar to the normal version.

Rebirth is basically a remake of the original game, with some added content. The original game was made in flash, and that was a severely limiting factor for the game, so they finally are releasing a version on a proper game engine. I don't think there would be any reason to play the original once Rebirth comes out (except it will be cheaper).

As for the game itself, I guess you could say it's a rogue-like-like (in the vein of spelunky), with randomly generated levels, with Zelda 1 style level design. As you delve deeper in the dungeon, you can find items (which items you get are random) that grant you powerups, and if you die you have to start all the way at the beginning. You don't carry over anything between runs, but every achievement you earn unlocks a new item that you could potentially (randomly) find in a future run so there is some sense of progression. Also there are a few unlockable characters that start with different starting items (and varying amounts of starting health).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's almost a whole 'nother campaign, and maybe even better than the original campaign which is already terrific. Dishonored was my goty runnerup for 2012 right behind xcom

So yeah, if you're going in the go all in. It's worth it.

Hey thanks for info, GOTY edition it is!

That looked pretty great. Still sort of confused about how the whole Square Enix collective thing plays into the funding though.
According to kitfox, SE is just there to help promote the game and find players.

The kickstarter should be up in a few days, and it's 10$ for early buyers. ETA is summer 2015.

I don't see why they wouldn't.[..]
Ah, so the challenges are not server-side created but will continue even when support ends? Actually, I think I spent more time asking about the game then I'll play it, ha. Thanks for all the info.
Rebirth is basically a remake of the original game, with some added content. The original game was made in flash, and that was a severely limiting factor for the game, so they finally are releasing a version on a proper game engine.[...]
Ok, that make things more clear now. I don't get though what advantages porting the game to a non-flash engine has for the user. Is it performance?
Anyway, the game looks creepy - which piqued my interest. I'll keep an eye out on Rebirth once it hits.

Sendou

GOTYs are usually good bets. Looking forward to getting Arkham Knight GOTY for $5 in a couple years, heh.

Yeah especially considering how publishers like to keep the prices of invidual pieces of DLC up even way after the launch. I'm wondering if that will work out for them like they want.

Grief.exe

Rebirth is basically a remake of the original game, with some added content. The original game was made in flash, and that was a severely limiting factor for the game, so they finally are releasing a version on a proper game engine. I don't think there would be any reason to play the original once Rebirth comes out (except it will be cheaper).

It's almost a sequel that includes the original game.

I guess they are almost doubling the amount of items, enemies, bosses, etc. Sounds like a significant amount of new content, but they are still tight lipped.

Ok, that make things more clear now. I don't get though what advantages porting the game to a non-flash engine has for the user. Is it performance?
Anyway, the game looks creepy - which piqued my interest. I'll keep an eye out on Rebirth once it hits.

Flash just sounds like a nightmare.

For example, they had a small limit on the amount of objects on the screen at once, couldn't compile the game again after the WOTL release, and plenty more issues.

yuraya

Over 50k Borderlands 2 in game numbers is insane lol 2K doing well. Is it always this high or is this just a sales bump?

Free weekend.

I believe launch week had somewhere around 100k concurrent.

Ahh that explains it. Didn't see. I thought it was only Dishonored.

Pachimari

I'm playing Sleeping Dogs on my triple-monitor setup with everything on the highest and 30fps for the first time.

It is fabulous but I wanna get rid of Amanda!

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-71237D941738248C - Taken by FtHTiny
Influx -- MB-BBB03236721D7E54 - Taken by Saty

Deitus

Ah, so the challenges are not server-side created but will continue even when support ends? Actually, I think I spent more time asking about the game then I'll play it, ha. Thanks for all the info.

I guess it would require the servers in some capacity to actually send out the random seed every day. But with the popularity of the game, and the minimal server costs such a small amount of data would cost, I imagine they will continue for a long time to come. But then I'm largely speculating here. Just about everything I know about Spelunky is from listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast.

It's almost a sequel that includes the original game.

I guess they are almost doubling the amount of items, enemies, bosses, etc. Sounds like a significant amount of new content, but they are still tight lipped.

I didn't mean to downplay the additions for the game; there's definitely a ton of new stuff.

Flash just sounds like a nightmare.

For example, they had a small limit on the amount of objects on the screen at once, couldn't compile the game again after the WOTL release, and plenty more issues.
If I recall correctly, them using flash was the reason behind BoI's lack of controller support.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Recently rediscoverd the music tab on my humble bundle account, so I downloaded all of the music I apparently bought haha :p

Hopefully there's some good stuff in there.

Phinor

So the other day someone mentioned that Watch Dogs finally got a new patch that fixes the stuttering. Well I continued from my old save (around 3-4 hours into the game) and sure enough, stuttering was mostly gone. The game still struggles at times, but at least on my setup it was finally something I'd call playable.

However, this game just isn't very good. I put couple more hours into it and the uninstaller just finished doing its thing. I don't want to say it's a Ubisoft game but.. it's a damn Ubisoft game. I can just about tolerate one Assassin's Creed every 4-5 years (Black Flag was pretty good), but that's really my limit. Watch Dogs doesn't do anything interesting apart from the setting, and I don't want to play any more of these big budget Ubisoft games.

Next game on my list? Thief (2014). This will probably go well.

Weird, I thought that Arcade Edition was the de facto SFIV version but apparently you can update it to Ultra Street Fighter IV and get 5 characters? Capkonami, you so crazy

Hows that new Shadowgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom