• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Guaranteed. I don't recommend funding those projects at all for that reason.
I'm even somewhat skeptical of Jenny LeClue playing out well. I considered withdrawing, but then figured eh, fuck it. It seems like a good thing to get rolling.

Sendou

Somehow, I imagine that projects 5000$ - 25,000$ is probably where you'd find the highest failure rate.

One game I backed (it got 14k) called Pixel Sand seems to have had its last update four months ago. Looks kind of cool. Hopefully dev manages to finish it.

Jawmuncher

I haven't played it yet, but after checking out some reviews/impressions when Amazon had it for $5, it was a no brainer for me. For <$3? I'd impulse buy it even if I wasn't of the mind that it should be great. :)

If it was <$3 on Steam, you'd have a gift waiting for you. :p

I ended up just buying it now.
Just remembered I had like 4 bucks just hanging out on my paypal.
All these gifts even if it was a potential. I still gotta get you something one of these days.

Wait til you see her in game. She beasts. And is soooo much fun.

I don't doubt it. I played the demo on Xbox, and all the characters are a blast to play. She's just such a generic gunner-type character, whereas the other 2 have very distinct features that make them interesting. I don't have anything against Zoey, she's just kind of a boring choice when you had some other options, like Chell or Gordon Freeman.

Also, can I just make a tiny request? What with this shitty practice of release>re-release>re-re-lease (looking at the glorified Guacamelee patch) can I trust you guys to not release a STFUWTFBBQ edition down the line, and expect those of us that buy STFU next week to have to pay for it all over again?

RealMeat

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (RealMeat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-5322C848B90933E4 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

t1408743163z1.png

kevin1025

Banned
i feel like picking up Mafia II but im not sure..

hows the story?

I really enjoyed the game, way more than I was expecting. The story is well written, even if it's a little cliche, but I was invested by it. Plus I finished it in only a few days, which doesn't happen often anymore. I definitely recommend it.

Salsa

So I'll do some digging over the weekend, and figure out who was the first (only?) to guess Zoey as the third.

I'll also choose the dumbest, which will be hard, cause there's a couple that are awesomely dumb.

Here's SAXTON

Saxton.jpg

saxton_punch3.gif

We're going to be streaming the new TF2/L4D characters + other new STFU stuff HERE in a few minutes.

ok what the shit I knew nothing about these additions

what

what

jesus

oh

god

hitmon

I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress. I identified the projects that have failed, the projects likely to fail, the projects progressing as expected, the projects that are now near-0 risk, and the projects that are fulfilled. If you want to get a sense for the degree to which KS projects fail or succeed, you might want to check it out.

Spoiler alert: Of 113 projects that met the criteria, I found 41 projects that have been released, 4 which failed, and another 6 or so which are going to fail. Everything else is in development and progressing to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg

I'll be updating this every few months.

Thanks for this, interesting to see how much money was lost. Didn't know or remember there was a River City Ransom KS.

Corpekata

Banned
The story of Mafia 2 is basically a hodgepodge of every mafia movie. Some scenes feel outright lifted, and they don't always fit together. It's weird going from stuff aping the comic tones of Goodfellas to something aping the Godfather.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has just been updated to version 6.6. Changes in this version include:

• Added support for Japanese Yen in regional price comparison feature
  • Added Yen support for pack split calculations
  • Added Yen support for custom wallet amounts
  • Added Yen support for coupon messages
  • Added Yen support for calculating your bundle savings based on games you own
  • Added Yen support for badge pages
  • Re-wrote total account spent feature to accommodate purchases in multiple currencies
  • Fixed a bug that caused DLC checkboxes not to work correctly due to a change made by Valve
  • Fixed a bug that caused highlighting to break for users with private profiles
  • Fixed an issue where cached inventory data would persist past its expiration
  • Fixed a bug with active market totals for some users with certain currencies
  • Fixed a bug where achievement sorting wouldn't work under certain circumstances
  • Fixed a bug which caused the regional price comparison feature not to work on the daily deal
This update should be live on Google Chrome within the next 30 minutes and on Firefox the next time you restart your browser. As always, let me know if you run into any issues!

Enco

Singularity is awesome.

Just fought the first boss and I have to say this is probably the first boss that I enjoyed. At least in the past 2 or so years.

Enco

Very close to buying this game with keys. Looking forward to it.
I'm around 2 hours in and so far so good!

One thing that annoyed me with Singularity: no subtitles :/ The game also seems to heavily use audio logs :///
Yea lots of audio logs and notes. I rarely bother with them though. Aint nobody got time for that.

I do watch the infomercials they have though. They're cool.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

hows the story?

It's very good. Just note that it's not a open world game in the traditional sense. While there is one to drive around, there are no significant side activities. The game plays more like a traditional third person shooter.

Sendou

Yea lots of audio logs and notes. I rarely bother with them though. Aint nobody got time for that.

I do watch the infomercials they have though. They're cool.

Couldn't imagine playing a game without listening and reading everything I can get my hands on.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Remij:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Remij, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-D7D4760020ECDEA4 - Taken by fernandes
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-5D32479EB0F81B6B - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Deadlight -- MB-370065821871E11A - Taken by adriano999

Whoever wins Crusader Kings II will also be PM'd the Unit packs that came along with the Humble Bundle.

Mono

I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress. I identified the projects that have failed, the projects likely to fail, the projects progressing as expected, the projects that are now near-0 risk, and the projects that are fulfilled. If you want to get a sense for the degree to which KS projects fail or succeed, you might want to check it out.

Spoiler alert: Of 113 projects that met the criteria, I found 41 projects that have been released, 4 which failed, and another 6 or so which are going to fail. Everything else is in development and progressing to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg

I'll be updating this every few months.

This is really cool! I'd like to see how this looks in a few months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There's a new bundle from Lazy Guys Studio

16 games (3 Steam, 13 Desura/Greenlight) + 1 DLC which is exclusive to this bundle
JaseC Alert!

$2.99 for the first 24 hours

The_Monk

hows the story?

I wrote my impressions about Mafia 2 with some side curiosities in the end too:

Link to Steam Review :)

Also, it's Friday, yay. Let me see if I can squeeze a little time to play something. Did anyone saw that gameplay of Beyond Earth (video is almost an hour)? The game is looking really interesting, loving the choices right from the start.

Enco

Couldn't imagine playing a game without listening and reading everything I can get my hands on.
:lol

I listen to and read the odd thing but definitely not everything. Most of them I find pointless/boring. I like to learn about the world visually.

I listened to a lot in Bioshock and read a lot in Deus Ex though. Dat atmosphere.

Hugstable

Banned
:lol

I listen to and read the odd thing but definitely not everything. Most of them I find pointless/boring. I like to learn about the world visually.

I listened to a lot in Bioshock and read a lot in Deus Ex though. Dat atmosphere.

One of the coolest things about the origjnal Deus Ex is some of the conversations you had with some characters, even some as minor as a bar keep, and you get some really interesting info and commentary. Hell I felt like that game was looking into the future at times.

Ozium

So I'll do some digging over the weekend, and figure out who was the first (only?) to guess Zoey as the third.

I'll also choose the dumbest, which will be hard, cause there's a couple that are awesomely dumb.

Here's SAXTON

Saxton.jpg

saxton_punch3.gif

We're going to be streaming the new TF2/L4D characters + other new STFU stuff HERE in a few minutes.

Are there any TF2 Promo items for STFU? If not there should be...

jshackles

There should be info about this app on the first page on the steam thread.

Where can I get it? Do I need to have all the games with cards installed?

You can get more information about it here and no you don't need to install the games.

kevin1025

Banned
When there's snow on the roof of your car and you start driving it kind of falls off "realistically" (well closest games have ever gotten). How's that?

Some of the PC effects were very impressive at certain points, snow included. Some of the lighting at night, too, caught me by surprise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I updated the KS list down to 75k; 75k-100k there's definitely a marked drop in professionalism, more blown deadlines, but still relatively few outright failures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/

What is your opinion on Planets³? This is actually the first game I have ever backed on Kickstarter. They seem to communicate regularly on what is going on, but that doesn't necessarily mean things are going well :|

Well, it's not going to be on the list because it's a 2014 KS with a 2015 release date. In addition, some of their updates are backers only. It looks like they've had pretty frequent updates and their first monthly update looks reasonable. Most of the team look like professional adults.

The challenges:
- The budget is a little tight (18 months for 9 people for $250,000 is $1500/person/month) so they'll definitely need extra funding as time goes on.
- Although people seem to be professionals with good skillsets, only one of them appears to have worked on a game before

Right now if I had Planets^3 on my list, it'd be a yellow. There are no real red flags or warning signs and stuff is going well, but it's too early to tell for sure.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 6 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Steam and Metal (Desura) -- MB-0BCDE38CADE9AC78 - Taken by Jason Frost
Knytt Underground -- MB-05F822D1D2B498E5 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Song of the Myrne (Desura) -- MB-347026A827F1EB3C - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
Fatal Theory (Desura) -- MB-4593443AE7DA14C9 - Taken by Darth Kupi
ulgzbKC.png
Retention (Desura) -- MB-83128766B38A0F3C - Taken by Trellisaze
ulgzbKC.png
Make it indie! (Desura) -- MB-311FEEEA75A176E6 - Taken by Jason Frost
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-DE5575365F2631CD - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Yury (Desura) -- MB-97EA4FCB0D7FCDC1

t1408745563z1.png

Forgot this one

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Major Mayhem -- MB-6EF8E8A8B100950E - Taken by ReduxMachine. 3 entrants total.

t1408745743z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom