• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a good Spelunky day. Got almost a million dollar on the PS3-daily challange and finished it on hell. I also got 100% on Steam after completing Low Scorer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress. I identified the projects that have failed, the projects likely to fail, the projects progressing as expected, the projects that are now near-0 risk, and the projects that are fulfilled. If you want to get a sense for the degree to which KS projects fail or succeed, you might want to check it out.

Spoiler alert: Of 113 projects that met the criteria, I found 41 projects that have been released, 4 which failed, and another 6 or so which are going to fail. Everything else is in development and progressing to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg

I'll be updating this every few months.

Gvaz

Banned
I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress. I identified the projects that have failed, the projects likely to fail, the projects progressing as expected, the projects that are now near-0 risk, and the projects that are fulfilled. If you want to get a sense for the degree to which KS projects fail or succeed, you might want to check it out.

Spoiler alert: Of 113 projects that met the criteria, I found 41 projects that have been released, 4 which failed, and another 6 or so which are going to fail. Everything else is in development and progressing to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg

I think what we can take from this is that we probably shouldn't back new developers too much because they don't seem to understand what goes into development of a game.

Or at least only back things that they can show some kind of proof of concept at least.

Jawmuncher

After 102 hours, my first Dark Souls playthrough has come to an end! I have finally conquered this game including the DLC stuff! What an experience, I don't think I'll ever forget my time playing this game.

jBKgv0t.png

I must be a odd duck or something.
No souls game has ever taken me that long.
Like 40 hours max.

Like 40 hours max.

Single playthrough?
Cause that would explain it.
Demon's Souls platinum took me 110 hours.
I spent around the same on Dark Souls.
I think my Dark Souls 2 playtime is over 120 hours now and I haven't touched the DLC.

sweet! definitely going to pick it up down the road.

I'm still waiting to see who won that other copy of STFU from the Capy dev who was posting in here... I'm hoping against hope that I'm dumb enough to have earned that key.

Today was a good Spelunky day. Got almost a million dollar on the PS3-daily challange and finished it on hell. I also got 100% on Steam after completing Low Scorer.

Not for me. The game gave me a BS death on 1-4 because of a gunpowder crate that nothing touched. :\

Gvaz

Banned
Like 40 hours max.

Took me about 54 hours or so to beat ds2+1dlc plus some mucking around

ds1 took me about 102 hours to beat but that was also adding in several characters I mucked around in, so i guess maybe 60?

Jawmuncher

Single playthrough?
Cause that would explain it.
Demon's Souls platinum took me 110 hours.
I spent around the same on Dark Souls.
I think my Dark Souls 2 playtime is over 120 hours now and I haven't touched the DLC.

Took me about 54 hours or so to beat ds2+1dlc plus some mucking around

ds1 took me about 102 hours to beat but that was also adding in several characters I mucked around in, so i guess maybe 60?

Yeah I beat the game and that's it for me no trophy hunting or anything else.
Im just in for the first play through ride. Then I just deal with whatever character I had made.

Castlevania 2 and Mirror of Fate HD comeout to $15.39 with the code AUG20OFF if they're both in your cart. Sounds like a good deal to me.
This is on gamefly.com

Articalys

This is really neat; thanks for taking the time to go through and compile all this info.
Though it could probably use a quick color legend somewhere off to the side that clarifies what the highlight colors mean at a glance, even if they're a bit obvious.

Im just in for the first play through ride. Then I just deal with whatever character I had made.

Castlevania 2 and Mirror of Fate HD comeout to $15.39 with the code AUG20OFF if they're both in your cart. Sounds like a good deal to me.
This is on gamefly.com

For the $2 or whatever, that Alucard DLC for C:LoS2 looked decent. You might want to consider that too before you pull the trigger since it won't get the AUG20OFF discount if it's not over $10.

Cool to see.
You have a typo (maybe more), but since I can't edit, I can't fix them for you. :p
Would it be worth including stuff from indiegogo as well? Things like Skullgirls and Yatagarasu?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Truffle Saga -- MB-04EC3A78A07D6223 - Taken by XShagrath. 4 entrants total.
Pressured -- MB-2B807DFD847C2132 - Taken by Milamber. 7 entrants total.
ESCHALON BOOK III -- MB-995CDF45D293D2A6 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 2 entrants total. - Taken by Gvaz. 7 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-B13256C27467B714 - Taken by Annubis. 12 entrants total.
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-929EEDF95800A93F - Taken by Aitor. 3 entrants total.
Numba Deluxe -- MB-3A382A11D1795949 - Taken by Htown. 3 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-307BF13E95ACC5F6 - Taken by Haunted. 7 entrants total.

t1408744423z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is really neat; thanks for taking the time to go through and compile all this info.
Though it could probably use a quick color legend somewhere off to the side that clarifies what the highlight colors mean at a glance, even if they're a bit obvious.

OK I added one

Incidentally, is anyone here a backer of Republique or Armikrog? Both have closed backer-only updates and so I had to sort of ballpark my evaluation of each.

MUnited83

For you.

This is on gamefly.com

You don't do NG+?

Uzzy

Excellent work, and it's great to see a 90%+ 'not-failure' rate with Kickstarted games. I do wonder if facts would make the Kickstarter haters reconsider their position, however.

So I'll do some digging over the weekend, and figure out who was the first (only?) to guess Zoey as the third.

I'll also choose the dumbest, which will be hard, cause there's a couple that are awesomely dumb.

Here's SAXTON

Saxton.jpg

saxton_punch3.gif

We're going to be streaming the new TF2/L4D characters + other new STFU stuff HERE in a few minutes.

Chariot

Cool thing.

You have Guns of Icarus Online, but it had a second Kickstarter, regarding the "Adventure Mode" that was funded with almost 200k and is not released yet. It's last update on Kickstarter is from february. Tehre are weekly reports on the website, but they include patching the main game and I am not exactly sure how the progress actually he is. It is behind in the schedule in any case.
The date in the kickstarter was June 14, it was funded May 2013 with 198k Dollar

Khronico

ModBot said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Khronico, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-F0ACA6C5CDA64C1A - Taken by darkchewie
Terraria -- MB-0B375036AD3D899A - Taken by abracadaver

I'll pm the humble links for the CK2 dlc to whoever takes CK2.

Just as an aside, I would highly recommend that everyone should get the humble jumbo bundle. Both Van Helsing and KOF13 are VERY good games that I'm enjoying immensely, and are worth the BTA price alone. All the other games are icing on the cake.

Dr Dogg

Looks like Kryptonite won that little contest... Lucky bastard.

Zoey just seems like a weird choice to me. She's not exactly an interesting character.

Well there's still the dumbest answer part of Cromulent_Word's competition open so no one should be too disheartened yet.
Lets do a tiny contest shall we?

First person to guess the three new characters in Super Time Force Ultra correctly will get a free code.

Also the dumbest answer (judged by me) will also get a free STFU code.

August 25th is next weeeeeeek!

Edit: Of course Cromulent_Word posts just as I go fishing out the original post.

Monooboe

I had two key for the closed beta of Landmark, might be some time left of the closed beta to enjoy.:D Redeem the keys at http://link.e-sonyonline.com/u.d?bYGvP9UyIQytz38uJW1qR=2351 <-- Station Account needed.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Monooboe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Landmark Closed Beta 1 -- MB-FE9E47559A46F896 - Taken by iosefe. 3 entrants total.
Landmark Closed Beta 2 -- MB-BF2E8DC3B415E7DB - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.

t1408751563z1.png

Annubis

Somehow, I imagine that projects 5000$ - 25,000$ is probably where you'd find the highest failure rate.

Jawmuncher

That's pretty tempting...not sure I really want to bother with Lords of Shadow 2...I have been meaning to play Mirror of Fate though.

It's 5.25 sans code. But you can only use the 20% off code with purchases of 14.99 or more.
Which is why I had them bundled.

Hugstable

Banned
So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cool thing.

You have Guns of Icarus Online, but it had a second Kickstarter, regarding the "Adventure Mode" that was funded with almost 200k and is not released yet. It's last update on Kickstarter is from february. Tehre are weekly reports on the website, but they include patching the main game and I am not exactly sure how the progress actually he is. It is behind in the schedule in any case.
The date in the kickstarter was June 14, it was funded May 2013 with 198k Dollar

Ah, yes, this is my bad. I checked Steam and saw that the game was released, but didn't realize they had a second KS and that wasn't yet delivered.

Somehow, I imagine that projects 5000$ - 25,000$ is probably where you'd find the highest failure rate.

Guaranteed. I don't recommend funding those projects at all for that reason.

RS4-

Ugh offline for the last week because I'm switching ISPs. I would've been up this week if the companies I was switching to didn't say one thing, then tell me another. Had to buy a new modem.

One more week.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you've got the fez, super meat boy, thomas was alone, hotline miami, or bastion soundtrack then you're set for a while.

Unfortunately, none of those. I guess if there are any future bundles with them then ill get lucky. I think I actually have the bastion soundtrack with the game, thanks for reminding me.

Khronico

So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

You can totally go STR+Dex in DS2 if you want, that's what I did. You get good damage scaling on STR/Dex weapons and can deal with pretty much any encounter with maximum efficiency.

Mokoi

Banned

Put everything into STR. Nothing else matters. Nahh, I just don't remember what I had. I'm to lazy to check, but I do know that it was a awesome build.

Edit: How the hell did you play 102 hours? I only have 35 hours clocked, and that's with me halfway starting another playthrough. Granted I did have prior knowledge on what to do because I halfway finished the 360 verison.

Tecl0n

You haven't played DS1 until you used the zwei.

Backlogger

What is your opinion on Planets³? This is actually the first game I have ever backed on Kickstarter. They seem to communicate regularly on what is going on, but that doesn't necessarily mean things are going well :|

Teeth

In my opinion, there aren't as many fun dex weapons in DS2 compared to DS1. Also, blunt strength weapons get a massive bonus throughout DS2 because, like, half the enemies are armored and weak to blunt/strike damage.

A good old fashioned steel mace is one of the best PVE weapons in the game.

EDIT: also, they changed the moveset for the halberd(s) and zweihander to be....not as good/fun. Also, weapon degradation is a real threat now, so get used to having TWO weapons you are comfortable with.

Dang i'm actually pretty tempted now.
I'll probably cave on it by Sunday before the sale is up. Thankfully it's cheap even without the 20% off on it.

I haven't played it yet, but after checking out some reviews/impressions when Amazon had it for $5, it was a no brainer for me. For <$3? I'd impulse buy it even if I wasn't of the mind that it should be great. :)

If it was <$3 on Steam, you'd have a gift waiting for you. :p

Lomax

Awesome, thanks. For anyone interested in some great Kickstarter transparency, I highly recommend this article from the Shovel Knight devs that talks about everything they did with the money they got.

Sales Breakdown: One month later!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

Spoiler:
Making games is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom