• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

Take them!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Major Mayhem -- MB-70BF7BEC82DFE074 - Taken by Hugstable. 3 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe: Infinite -- MB-CF58E20EF3E5CB0E - Taken by Naked Snake
Knytt Underground -- MB-781052151463B43F - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.

t1408746343z1.png

Gvaz

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gvaz, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Eschalon: Book 3 -- MB-995CDF45D293D2A6 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 2 entrants total.

t1408756303z1.png
yabba dabba do

Grief.exe

I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress. I identified the projects that have failed, the projects likely to fail, the projects progressing as expected, the projects that are now near-0 risk, and the projects that are fulfilled. If you want to get a sense for the degree to which KS projects fail or succeed, you might want to check it out.

Spoiler alert: Of 113 projects that met the criteria, I found 41 projects that have been released, 4 which failed, and another 6 or so which are going to fail. Everything else is in development and progressing to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg

I'll be updating this every few months.

Honestly, this deserves its own thread.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
i feel like picking up Mafia II but im not sure..

hows the story?

Adding because of the comments, the story of the main character is fraught with loss especially toward the end as he pays dearly for his actions and the life he chose. Don't play it if you want a mafia story that ends with the character happily sitting on his self built throne.

derExperte

STFU looks very awesome (too bad I can't hear the audio because of the static in the stream) but I fear that it gets overwhelming fast. There's just so much happening on screen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, this deserves its own thread.

I don't really want to draw much attention to it just yet, personally. Still deciding how often I want to update it or how far down I want to follow the list. It looks like a LOT of stuff funded in 2014, so I see the amount of effort this requires as likely to balloon a little bit. I dunno. Maybe.

Volimar

I don't really want to draw much attention to it just yet, personally. Still deciding how often I want to update it or how far down I want to follow the list. It looks like a LOT of stuff funded in 2014, so I see the amount of effort this requires as likely to balloon a little bit. I dunno. Maybe.

You have odd hobbies.

sQ3wYuX.gif

sheesh kinda hard to trust people nowadays especially people who adds you :D

lot are scammers posting fake links too, ;_;

good thing i recognized it

so hard to know which people is legit now to add on steam :(

kevin1025

Banned
Adding because of the comments, the story of the main character is fraught with loss especially toward the end as he pays dearly for his actions and the life he chose. Don't play it if you want a mafia story that ends with the character happily sitting on his self built throne.

That's part of the reason I enjoyed it so much,
the main character doesn't become the boss, doesn't hit the highest ranks, he hits a spot and kind of peters out with great cost.
But it does skip over the good stuff in favor for the somewhat menial paying your dues stuff.

i feel like picking up Mafia II but im not sure..

hows the story?

Since you're mentioning Mafia, may I take the opportunity to recommend to you The Darkness II - right now it is 80% off on Steam store -, that is quite linear and definitely not an open-world game, anyway similarly to Mafia it takes inspiration from all the gangsters movies and imagery and is quite good at it, besides it is a decent FPS with an awesome graphic style and a decent screenplay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Somehow, I imagine that projects 5000$ - 25,000$ is probably where you'd find the highest failure rate.

So just to follow up on this, I checked the "Successfully Funded" "<$1000" category and it's mostly RPGmaker stuff, stock Minecraft servers, my first game, stuff made by young children, etc. Total shit shoot at that point.

That being said, there was one honest-to-goodness released on Steam game that got fully funded at $200: Turba. Purchasable on Steam for $4.99

OK I added one

Incidentally, is anyone here a backer of Republique or Armikrog? Both have closed backer-only updates and so I had to sort of ballpark my evaluation of each.

Armikrog has had relatively infrequent but still steady updates. They've already blocked out all the game's rooms/script and are I'd say about halfway through building the claymation level sets. Though they are a bit behind schedule they've made definite and significant progress, so I'd categorize them more as low-0 risk myself. The only real question mark, especially for a project as particular with resources as this one, is the funding holding out, as they didn't get a whole lot of headroom beyond their initial kickstarter goal. I'd say there may be some issues with the delivery of some of the more valuable physical backer rewards somewhere down the line, but they should definitely have a playable game by this coming summer.

derExperte

Ohhh, got an email reminding me that I pledged for Pillars of Eternity two years ago. Somehow I thought I canceled the pledge. So I get a game I thought I still have to pay for for free. Kinda.

so hard to know which people is legit now to add on steam :(

I check if we have any groups in common. No NeoGAF, no adding.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

This. Which is why I instantly deny any private profiles as well. I'm sure you have your reasons for setting things to friends only, but I don't want to waste time finding out you aren't someone I want on my list. I do apologize if I have denied anyone here for that reason, if you really want to you can PM me your profile link so I know who you are.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Armikrog has had relatively infrequent but still steady updates. They've already blocked out all the game's rooms/script and are I'd say about halfway through building the claymation level sets. Though they are a bit behind schedule they've made definite and significant progress, so I'd categorize them more as low-0 risk myself. The only real question mark, especially for a project as particular with resources as this one, is the funding holding out, as they didn't get a whole lot of headroom beyond their initial kickstarter goal. I'd say there may be some issues with the delivery of some of the more valuable physical backer rewards somewhere down the line, but they should definitely have a playable game by this coming summer.

That'd still be a yellow for me; unless it's got a near-complete playable / imminent release date, it's a yellow. But yeah I suspect they'll be OK.

fallout

I think it's worthwhile data to share. Quite often, we see a lot of Kickstarter threads which focus far too much on scams and failures (I also think that the term "scam" gets tossed around far too much with respect to Kickstarter).

This. Which is why I instantly deny any private profiles as well. I'm sure you have your reasons for setting things to friends only, but I don't want to waste time finding out you aren't someone I want on my list. I do apologize if I have denied anyone here for that reason, if you really want to you can PM me your profile link so I know who you are.

nupctk.jpg

It's like they're not even trying anymore...

flippeh

So I'll do some digging over the weekend, and figure out who was the first (only?) to guess Zoey as the third.

I'll also choose the dumbest, which will be hard, cause there's a couple that are awesomely dumb.

Here's SAXTON

Saxton.jpg

saxton_punch3.gif

We're going to be streaming the new TF2/L4D characters + other new STFU stuff HERE in a few minutes.

Soo awesome. Double dipping on Steam version!

Ohhh, got an email reminding me that I pledged for Pillars of Eternity two years ago. Somehow I thought I canceled the pledge. So I get a game I thought I still have to pay for for free. Kinda.

haha..i think i'll probably need that mentality in the future :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steam games that got successfully KSed at <$10,000 and have released:

Turba - Oct 09 - $208
3089 The Game - Oct 12 - $4,548
Data Hacker Infiltration - Jan 13 - $5,257
CreaVures - Feb 11 - $5,334
Cthulhu Saves the World - Feb 11 - $6,898
Kentucky Route Zero - Feb 11 - $8,583
Steel & Steam Episode 1 - Sep 13 - $8,590
Spud's Quest - Nov 12 - $9,990

So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

Major in STR...Minor in DEX.

STR scaling is boss mode, while DEX scaling is....not good. I think I ended with STR at 50 or 60 and DEX at whatever you need to use a box (ended with 25-30) i think.

Swtiched to Magic in NG+ and couldn't get used to it.

Zafir

Yeah ditto. I get so many random adds. Most of them are auto decline unless they seem like they could be someone I know.

Ph8nJkp.png

Didn't know that happened. The giant hack thread probably should have the OP updated.
Guy always seems to be in some sort of meltdown. I remember thinking that fez must've just been a stressful experience for him after watching Indie Game but it seems like he's just always a hot mess.

Yeah ditto. I get so many random adds. Most of them are auto decline unless they seem like they could be someone I know.

I used to get more random adds, but since making my profile public they have stopped... I guess they see I have nothing of value. One time I had a random add from a suspicious looking name, luckily before I declined it I checked my email. It turned out I had won something on steamgifts and they were trying to give it to me :D

Deitus

Didn't know that happened. The giant hack thread probably should have the OP updated.

His twitter account was closed very shortly after that, and no one has been able to reach him for comment. I hope he was just reacting out of anger, and he is able to bounce back from this, but who knows.

Of all of the overreactions Phil has had over the years, this is the one where I can understand where he is coming from. If he wants out of the industry after this hack, I can't blame him. Though it would be a shame if making games is a passion of this, for him to have to give it up. I don't really like the guy, but this whole situation is shitty.

Annubis

Checking his timeline, i don't see the tweet. Did he delete it? Was his personal twitter account also hacked?

Anyhow, here's the source of that pic: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/747571-fez-creator-phil-fish-quit-gaming-polytron-doxxed

He deleted his own twitter.

He's out. Out of everything.

He'll sell all his IPs then move to a faraway country and buy a farm surrounded by empty land, where he will live alone, finally in peace.

That last line is just conjecture =P

Saty

I updated my Kickstarter investigation. For those who are not familiar, I made a list of every Kickstarter project that made over $100k and has been around for at least 12 months, and looked in on their progress.
Great work.

Though i have to say i'm more interested in data on how were KS games received. Projects dying is certainly a concern for crowd-funding getting 'cred' among all gamers but so is the question if the game this model provides is satisfactory.

Would like to see surveys of backers on released games on their degree of satisfaction with the final product, something like:

a. General feeling on the quality of the product
b. If you could go back, would you have backed it again?
c. Would you have increased or decreased the pledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom