• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I didn't notice that Depression Quest was out-- took hearing mention of the Zoe/Fish thing, then googling to figure out what the Zoe/Fish thing even was (
mostly reprehensible asshattery
)-- but it's probably the best depression-themed game I've played recently.

It's one of those games with a ton of negative reviews that all have a ton of likes, like Gone Home or, as of last night, Fez.

I liked it. It's basically a choose your own adventure, but all the good choices are unavailable-- some by default, some as a result of your other choices. Choices mostly matter here, and there seems to be a pretty good range between trying to get your act together and just letting things fall apart.

It doesn't have achievements, which makes sense, or cards, but if it did I'd probably have crafted it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some notable <$75k raised Steam projects:
Sequence Apr 10
Cthulhu Saves the World Feb 11
Kentucky Route Zero Feb 11
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Aug 11
Lifeless Planet Oct 11
Cognition Dec 11
Organ Trail Jan 12
Chuck's Challenge 3D Apr 12
Valdis Story: Abyssal City Apr 12
Edge of Space Jun 12
Volgarr the Viking Aug 12
Knock-Knock Sep 12
Tiny Barbarian DX Dec 12
Full Bore Jan 13
Freedom Planet Feb 13
Risk of Rain May 13
Paranautical Activity Sep 13
Mysterious Cities of Gold Sep 13
Magicite Nov 13
Elliot Quest Dec 13
Starwhal: Just the Tip Dec 13
Tabletop Simulator Mar 14

I made a fuller list of all <$75k games that got a Steam release or are otherwise pretty notable, it's on the second sheet at the bottom here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/

Shadownet

Banned
I don't know much about this whole hacking thing. (Even after reading 2 articles about it) but so let me get this straight. Fish thought 4chan did it, but it turn out to not be 4chan?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't know much about this whole hacking thing. (Even after reading 2 articles about it) but so let me get this straight. Fish thought 4chan did it, but it turn out to not be 4chan?

... that really isn't the gist of the story at all. The person who did it identified themselves as being from 4chan (although this doesn't mean that they are), and Fish didn't comment on the identity of the perpetrator at all.

When Polytron got hacked, there was a message put up, and it was signed /V/, so 4chan was seemingly behind it.

Of course, it could be a false flag, who knows.

Shadownet

Banned
... that really isn't the gist of the story at all. The person who did it identified themselves as being from 4chan (although this doesn't mean that they are), and Fish didn't comment on the identity of the perpetrator at all.

When Polytron got hacked, there was a message put up, and it was signed /V/, so 4chan was seemingly behind it.

Of course, it could be a false flag, who knows.

Ahh the false flag. I see. Is there a reason why he was targeted? I read something about a controversy with Fez 2. Seem kinda random to hack this guy.

I was secretly hoping I misread Polytron and it was really Polygon that got hacked.

Yeah I thought I read Polygon the first time around too and smiled a bit..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ahh the false flag. I see. Is there a reason why he was targeted? I read something about a controversy with Fez 2. Seem kinda random to hack this guy.

The stated reason is that he stuck up for a female indie dev Zoe Quinn who has been the center of some controversy over the last week.

Chariot

In short: Phil Fish is a dick on twitter. He just insults everyone and their mothers and act very hurt when people bite back.

Deitus

Supposedly this is related to the fact that he publicly defended Zoe Quinn during that whole debacle.

Yeah I thought I read Polygon the first time around too and smiled a bit..

Well, I'm generally always a fan of schadenfreude when it comes to Polygon, but the amount of damage seemingly caused by this hack... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

chronomac

I don't really want to draw much attention to it just yet, personally. Still deciding how often I want to update it or how far down I want to follow the list. It looks like a LOT of stuff funded in 2014, so I see the amount of effort this requires as likely to balloon a little bit. I dunno. Maybe.

Regardless of whether it gets its own thread, this is fantastic work. Bravo.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Eschalon: Book III -- MB-7DC891CD28B4875D - Taken by PandaPandaPanda

Lomax

Some notable <$75k raised Steam projects:
Sequence Apr 10
Cthulhu Saves the World Feb 11
Kentucky Route Zero Feb 11
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Aug 11
Lifeless Planet Oct 11
Cognition Dec 11
Organ Trail Jan 12
Chuck's Challenge 3D Apr 12
Valdis Story: Abyssal City Apr 12
Edge of Space Jun 12
Volgarr the Viking Aug 12
Knock-Knock Sep 12
Tiny Barbarian DX Dec 12
Full Bore Jan 13
Freedom Planet Feb 13
Risk of Rain May 13
Paranautical Activity Sep 13
Mysterious Cities of Gold Sep 13
Magicite Nov 13
Elliot Quest Dec 13
Starwhal: Just the Tip Dec 13
Tabletop Simulator Mar 14

I made a fuller list of all <$75k games that got a Steam release or are otherwise pretty notable, it's on the second sheet at the bottom here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/

Paper Sorcerer funded with 13k and released to a pretty warm reception:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088045881/paper-sorcerer

It was more a single enthusiast lifelong pet project than a funded company though.

jediyoshi

Aw, Meltdown is a pretty cute little game. Nice palate cleanser inbetween chunkier games

Between this for a buck, luftrausers for $2.5 and freedom cry for a key, it's been a good week.

Caerith

In short: Phil Fish is a dick on twitter. He just insults everyone and their mothers and act very hurt when people bite back.

That's the general reason to dislike Fish.

This time specifically it's because he stuck up for Zoe Quinn, who was being harassed.

I don't know if that's why he was hacked, but all the talk (e.g. someone with a username "F
UCK
ZOE QUINN" posting that he hates Fish now) I see about it suggests this to be the case.

Ozium

Ph8nJkp.png

Didn't know that happened. The giant hack thread probably should have the OP updated.

Qfom17E.jpg

Also I'm not sure I believe him..

Shadownet

Banned
The stated reason is that he stuck up for a female indie dev Zoe Quinn who has been the center of some controversy over the last week.
Something about her cheating on with ex with 5 different guys right? While that is wrong for another whole reason. Attacking Fish because of that seems a little wrong.

Okay this might be a legitimate excuse.

Well, I'm generally always a fan of schadenfreude when it comes to Polygon, but the amount of damage seemingly caused by this hack... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
It would have been so bad that Polygon might have to sell their website? hmmmmm.

Cheddahz

Banned
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I love how much of a dick Phil Fish is (was?) on Twitter

EDIT: but no, he didn't deserve to have his information hacked like that

I don't know. I pretty much have a hatred for the Westboro Baptist Church. I probably wouldn't mind seeing their website get hacked.

Some people deserve zero sympathy.

Hacked? Sure.

Doxed? No.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I love how much of a dick Phil Fish is (was?) on Twitter

EDIT: but no, he didn't deserve to have his information hacked like that

It was fairly amusing, and most of the time justified. But for the last few weeks, he's been out of line and a little too vicious.

Monooboe

Same here.:D He often has a good reason for being a dick, granted from his point of view. He really strongly stands for what he believes is right, like with Ferguson.

Phil Fish has only made one game Fez right? I'd have more respect for him if he made more games and contributed more to the indie gaming community rather be hipster all the time and say stuff like Steam and consoles are evil and he loses money on them compared to selling them from directly on his on site.

Caerith

I don't know. I pretty much have a hatred for the Westboro Baptist Church. I probably wouldn't mind seeing their website get hacked.

Some people deserve zero sympathy.

Yeah, it sucks when people are allowed to freely express unpopular opinions without fear of disproportionate reprisal.

Deitus

It would have been so bad that Polygon might have to sell their website? hmmmmm.

If it was just the website, sure. But this was personal. Banking information, social security numbers, and not just Phil, his co-workers as well.

They will probably spend thousands of dollars fighting identity theft, and their credit rating will probably never recover. This will haunt them for years.

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah, it sucks when people are allowed to freely express unpopular opinions without fear of disproportionate reprisal.
And it sucks when people just wanna have a peaceful funeral. If the WBC wanna express their opinions. They can do it where someone actually welcome it.

Disclaimers: I'm not saying Fish is as bad as WBC. I was just saying. Someone hated him enough to do it. So if it was me. My most hated enemy would be the WBC.

Also. I did not know what Doxxing was until this point. It sounds bad. Hacking would be humiliating enough.

Hanzou

I had no idea that sequence and cthulu saves the world were kickstarter. Cthulu had to have been right near the beginning of kickstarter.

Caerith

And it sucks when people just wanna have a peaceful funeral. If the WBC wanna express their opinions. They can do it where someone actually welcome it.

Disclaimers: I'm not saying Fish is as bad as WBC. I was just saying. Someone hated him enough to do it. So if it was me. My most hated enemy would be the WBC.

Also. I did not know what Doxxing was until this point. It sounds bad. Hacking would be humiliating enough.

I'm not going to argue pro-WBC.

I'm only arguing anti-the sentiment that some voices deserve to be silenced.

You can't even conflate Fish and WBC.

WBC is in the business of bullying minorities.

Fish was hacked seemingly for telling people who bully minorities to stuff it.

Yay, completed the Missing Link DLC in Human Revolution: Director's Cut in a Factory Zero runthrough. I quite liked the DLC overall, it's integration within the whole game is a bit jarring nonetheless, but I quite liked it overall.

Stupid question time: If I delete local content on a game that does not have cloud saves, will it delete my local saves with it or leave them intact in the directory? I need to free up some hard drive space. I know I can manually back up my saves, but I'm specifically curious about this question.

Stupid question time: If I delete local content on a game that does not have cloud saves, will it delete my local saves with it or leave them intact in the directory? I need to free up some hard drive space. I know I can manually back up my saves, but I'm specifically curious about this question.

I think it depends on the game. You could instead just delete the game folder in the SteamApps directory. Then it wouldn't be an official uninstall and you should have the saves, if they are stored somewhere else besides that folder.

Caerith

Oh Polytron got hacked, now I get it.

This whole day I thought Polgyon got hacked.

Polytron and Polygon are completely different. One is the company of an aggressive attention-whoring troll who hasn't been relevant for at least a year. The other is Polytron.

Polytron and Polygon are completely different. One is the company of an aggressive attention-whoring troll who hasn't been relevant for at least a year. The other is Polytron.

Was the one ever TRULY relevant? Or were you saying that just because you wanted the joke to work.

Corpekata

Banned

It'll leave it intact. Things like config files and saves stay put, and often aren't in the game's directory for this reason.

saunderez

Thank you Gabe for listing Civ Beyond Earth for $50 even if it was temporary. Price back up to $90 now.

That AusTax.

Could see that happening a mile away. I had ~$20 wallet credit from trading cards at the time so I went for it, good thing I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom