• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth experiencing? Where would/should I start off? :V

I'm by no means any expert on the subject having only half read through one. Based off the anime adaptation and impressions from others, Steins;Gate would be a good choice. Higurashi is also coming to steam in the near future so I'll probably give that a shot.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
You don't have a cat, do you?

Being constantly attacked, assaulted, harassed, scratched, bitten, hugged the feet just because they're dodgily under the sheets, being stunlocked in bed because she's sleeping on you and you don't want to wake her up, being waken up at 5 AM because there has been a plastic bag on the floor for two weeks but right now it's probably the best time ever to jump on it making the most annoying noise ever.

It's all part of the fun.

Actually, scratch that.
Being attacked is THE single most fun thing of having a cat. The sheer amount of scratches and bite marks I have on my right arm are the final proof of how much I'm dedicated at making her enjoy her stay at my house my blood. <3

image.php

MetalDeer

Man, I really need to get my hands on Divinity: Original Sin one of these days. It looks like the perfect game to get out of this damn gaming rut, finally. I've just been watching anime the past 2 weeks after finishing the Steins;Gate VN.

Also, hey dudes, first time posting in SteamGAF, long time lurker here, finally decided make an account.

yoshizzle

Man, I really need to get my hands on Divinity: Original Sin one of these days. It looks like the perfect game to get out of this damn gaming rut, finally. I've just been watching anime the past 2 weeks after finishing the Steins;Gate VN.

Also, hey dudes, first time posting in SteamGAF, long time lurker here, finally decided make an account.

Welcome to SteamGAF! :)

I'm by no means any expert on the subject having only half read through one. Based off the anime adaptation and impressions from others, Steins;Gate would be a good choice. Higurashi is also coming to steam in the near future so I'll probably give that a shot.

Oh, well i'm perfectly fine with any help on the subject. ^^ But thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely look those up. Especially on Steins; Gate, since my friend loves it, and she wanted me to watch it.

It's like being stuck in the head of an annoying teenager

So, it's a horror genre. :3

Phoenix Wright games are a good starting point.
So is 999.

I've heard great things about both of those, but I feel that i'll never get the chance to play them. >.<

Oh, well i'm perfectly fine with any help on the subject. ^^ But thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely look those up. Especially on Steins; Gate, since my friend loves it, and she wanted me to watch it.

You should definitely check it out if you get the chance. Warning, it does start out slow but when it picks up it takes you on a ride that you won't soon forget.

Also, how could I forget about Phoenix Wright? They're great VNs and you can easily get started with them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome!

Levyne

Banned
Well, the ending of RAGE was seriously lamer than I somehow anticipated. Man, I enjoyed bits of it but a hard game to recommend. I'll spit out some extended impressions later when it isn't so late ><

Welcome, great avatar choice :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Hi.

Well, the ending of RAGE was seriously lamer than I somehow anticipated. Man, I enjoyed bits of it but a hard game to recommend. I'll spit out some extended impressions later when it isn't so late ><

Every id game has a terrible ending. What was unforgivable, though, was the lack of a final boss. I know I'm not the only one who decided to save the game's version of the BFG for the final showdown... that never came.

Mokoi

Banned

I would like to see what you thought about that ending. It was just so damm lame. I saved that special gun you pick up hoping to use it on another huge boss or something. I just met disappointment instead. Overall it was a solid game, but that ending just ruined everything for me.

Every id game has a terrible ending. What was unforgivable, though, was the lack of a final boss. I know I'm not the only one who decided to save the game's version of the BFG for the final showdown... that never came.

Haha, yeah I saved that gun too.

eek5

Welcome, great avatar choice :)
I remember reading about how sudden it was. Played through the game and enjoyed every second. I was saving all my drops for the final level and then....... it ended. :|

Levyne

Banned

I would like to see what you thought about that ending. It was just so damm lame. I saved that special gun you pick up hoping to use it on another huge boss or something. I just met disappointment instead. Overall it was a solid game, but that ending just ruined everything for me.

Now that I think about it, I didn't ever even fire a "BFG" ammo shot because I was also saving it for...something.

Couldn't they at least mix up the end? Throw in some armored guys or something? Something that flies? Have some grenades be thrown? (Super minor spoiler but figure best to tag)
It was all the same enemy type
so I just used the same weapon the whole battle. Wheeeeeeeee.

Welp, now to figure out what to play next. Picking out of the backlog is always the hardest bit :)

My Audio-Technica ATH-40X headphones should arrive by Monday, I'm scared. Never had good headphones before.

This should be fun, I can't wait.

I so rarely use my desk speakers anymore. So nice to have good quality and comfortable headphones :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every time Apotheon is updated in the registry, I check my Humble order page and am filled with sadness. Also, I'm fairly certain the pre-order beta didn't end up happening as Alien Trap hasn't said a word about it since announcing it back in February.

I think Danganronpa would count as a visual novel.

I've heard of the name, but never looked into it. I should do that.

You should definitely check it out if you get the chance. Warning, it does start out slow but when it picks up it takes you on a ride that you won't soon forget.

Also, how could I forget about Phoenix Wright? They're great VNs and you can easily get started with them.

I definitely will! Oh no worries, I have a lot of patience. Heh. But thanks for the heads up!

There is no Phoenix Wright on Steam, right? :V I seriously have been meaning to play it, and now i'm waay behind on the games. :c

Danj

Hopefully Japanese voices, not some crappy American dub.
And hopefully they won't bring the sequel, Tomoyo After over. Just pure smut, starting with 20 minute depraved sex scene.

I doubt Sekai Project could afford to dub a whole visual novel. And they seem to be focusing on all ages games that they can release on Steam - smutty stuff would get rejected from the get go.

I so rarely use my desk speakers anymore. So nice to have good quality and comfortable headphones :)
I look forward to trying them out, should make playing CSGO much better once I can, you know, hear again.

My old shitty Logitech headset ($15, bought it when I played on my shitty laptop) has a busted left speaker and you don't CSGO without headphones.

Chariot

So, guys.. How is a Visual Novel like?
Depends on the type of Visual Novel. It could be a complete text adventure with nothing to do, but to read, maybe with branching paths to different endings (Saya no Uta), it could be a dating sim with a lot of choices that change hidden and visible stats (Katawa Shoujo), it could be a novel with puzzles (999, Phoenix Wright), or can have any other game elements.
Asking how a Visual Novel is, is actually like asking how a book is.

Knurek

I doubt Sekai Project could afford to dub a whole visual novel. And they seem to be focusing on all ages games that they can release on Steam - smutty stuff would get rejected from the get go.

Due to weird Japanese laws concerning VA, it can be cheaper to dub the whole thing over than pay the license for original voices.

Depends on the type of Visual Novel. It could be a complete text adventure with nothing to do, but to read, maybe with branching paths to different endings (Saya no Uta), it could be a dating sim with a lot of choices that change hidden and visible stats (Katawa Shoujo), it could be a novel with puzzles (999, Phoenix Wright), or can have any other game elements.
Asking how a Visual Novel is, is actually like asking how a book is.

So, there's a lot of different types for Visual Novels. Seems to me that I have a lot to explore, but I really do want to give them a shot since I never actually played one in my life. Surprisingly.

Chariot

So, there's a lot of different types for Visual Novels. Seems to me that I have a lot to explore, but I really do want to give them a shot since I never actually played one in my life. Surprisingly.
Start of with some free.

Katawa Shoujo is more or less a dating sim, although the simulation part false short (which is good). You have a multiple story branches that decide weither you get to hang out with a girl, with what girl and the following relationship. Don't read any walktthroughs, at least during your first playthrough. Just play and see what you get.

On Steam you have Narcissu, "just" a story and Sunrider, a Visual Novel with various gameplay elements.

Mokoi

Banned

I'm just shilling this one since it's the only one I know of the top of my head.

Try out Juniper&#8217;s Knot. It's free, and is a kinetic novel. Meaning that you have no choices to make, but it still a good short story. The artwork and music are really good too. The soundtrack is also free for your listening pleasure. Although I don't know if they packaged the soundtrack in with the base game since it was a separate download. Links seem to be dead. This is not on steam btw, but it still gives you an idea about visual novels even if you can't make any choices.

Edit: Oh wow they also made it available for iphone. What about android though!

Dr Dogg

My Audio-Technica ATH-40X headphones should arrive by Monday, I'm scared. Never had good headphones before.

This should be fun, I can't wait.

A decent set of cans and a separate DAC are in my view the best way to experience games on any system. I've got a pair of ATH-50M's that I use later at night to keep things quiet but a good pair of open backs are great for a wider soundstage and letting the drivers breathe.

The good thing is now you can go through your library again and experience some titles in a different way. The Dead Space series is my top recommendation as the sound mix is binaural, so distance and direction is conveyed brilliantly as well as being regarded as having great sound design too. Alright maybe not the later half of 3 but the Spaceship Graveyard with headphones is fantastic. Fingers crossed Alien Isolation is up to snuff as DS3 really captured that Alien(s) subtle vibe in the score and sound design.

zkylon

zkylewd
Because of Zkylon's post about Divine Souls I wanted to see how it was first hand (and to get that playfire reward?), but two things stopped me on my quest for knowledge.
The first is that like all f2p games, it wants an account. The second is that an account can't be created because I get a service unavailable error on their website.
I guess I'll just leave it running at the login screen for the playfire reward.
weird

it let me create my account tho it took a long time to do so (like stuck in creating... for like a full minute or two)

didn't really try the game out, i usually give them a shot but there were so many games for the "play for the first time" thing

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Waiting for my chance at a spare Terraria key. Yes, I do not have this game yet! Seems like everyone else does. Is it any good on Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom