• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

Every piece of DLC is great though. If you don't get them in the GOTY, and you end up liking Fallout 3, you'll end up paying more because Bethesda will do what it does and make the DLC more expensive combined than the GOTY.

So try not to like Fallout 3 if you do get vanilla. Although that's a difficult task.

But shouldn't DLC only be considered when you have completed the base game and want more?

I see countless of gamers buying a certain base game + DLC, and from the playtime alone I can just tell they aren't even bothered to complete (= story line + all side quests) the base game...
Since all DLC does - in most cases - is essentially add a bunch of side quests, it would be redundant to buy DLC when you don't even complete all side quests of the base game.
(Now not considering the DLC that add weapons/... from the start. That could be wisely bought from the start, if you are into that.)

Considering Fallout 3 is a huge game and takes probably around 100 hours to complete (= story line + all side quests): even if one would succeed in completing Fallout 3, more often than not, the person would be saturated with it by then. :p

--
Or should I change my point of view regarding DLC?
Feel free for anyone to express there thought process regarding DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't think of a single example of DLC dropping in price alongside the main game. To the best of my knowledge, from indies to AAA "blockbusters", DLC prices remain static and so at 75% off or above, expansions and the like are not going to get any cheaper, ergo there's little harm in buying them ahead of your intention to play them even if you're not a collector.

Server is set up so be ready to get farmed scrubs :
zLRWPWx.jpg

Csmhr.png

->European game's night<- so obviously euro folks preferred for latency reasons.

t1408899600z0.png

Slots :
1 - Robert J. Sullivan
2 - The Dear Leader
3 - Copons
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

(unlikely - dark_inferno)

I'll make a server shortly before the game's start, IP will be given then. Leave your Steam profile.
Mine : http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan/.

EDIT : pm me or I might miss your post.

reposting again, < 24hrs left so you can now add your friends for the game as long as :
- they'll 100% be there for the game
- they live in europe

Dr Dogg

But shouldn't DLC only be considered when you have completed the base game and want more?

I see countless of gamers buying a certain base game + DLC, and from the playtime alone I can just tell they aren't even bothered to complete (= story line + all side quests) the base game...
Since all DLC does - in most cases - is essentially add a bunch of side quests, it would be redundant to buy DLC when you don't even complete all side quests of the base game.
(Now not considering the DLC that add weapons/... from the start. That could be wisely bought from the start, if you are into that.)

Considering Fallout 3 is a huge game and takes probably around 100 hours to complete (= story line + all side quests): even if one would succeed in completing Fallout 3, more often than not, the person would be saturated with it by then. :p

--
Or should I change my point of view regarding DLC?
Feel free for anyone to express there thought process regarding the purchase of DLC.

Well it all depends how it's integrated into the game, even more so with single player games.

Fallout 3 for example may be a massive game but 4 of the 5 DLC packs are kind of separate in their own way that they can be viewed as side stories and taken on at any time (on a new playthrough I do The Pit as one of my first quests due to the rewards feed back into the base game quite well). The 5th, Broken Steel can only be played after finishing the main quest.

Now The Elder Scrolls games do something similar but in Skyrim instead of the old "you've discovered a signal in the wasteland" pop up message you get a quest giver come rushing up to you, causing an interaction to start the quest line regardless what you are doing at that point in time, just as long as you've met the level requirements. It kind of breaks up the flow of things and is a bit distracting and even more so when the quest item or letter gets dumped into your inventory and you can't remember what it bloody well was called.

Other games that have the DLC as a separate instance to launch from the menu are on a case by case basis but most I've played are best experienced after the main game like Enslaved, Sleeping Dogs, Metal Gear Rising. Some though like the 2 cut sequences for Assassin's Creed 2 I'd have preferred as a menu item and not spliced into the main game as I felt it messed with the flow and pacing of the game (and they're not that worthwhile in my eyes).

End of the day the DLC beast is a big one and needs to be viewed as what each bit of content adds to the experience. Some are best integrated with the story, some are best done after the base game, some are for die hards. Something like Borderlands combines all of those, Dr Zed's stuff you can play at around level 12-15, Moxxie's stuff you can skip unless arena challenges are your thing, General Knoxx is a must but late to end game and Claptrap's Robot Army is best played after Knoxx's.

Ryne

I have a stupid question!

Why do games put up a steam page, sometimes a week away or less from release, and do not have a purchase option? I'm looking at you STFU.

Anyone has an idea why they don't have the ability to pre-purchase? I have a gaming "budget" that I like to stick to, and purchasing in advance helps me with that.

Gaspode_T

Humble Bundle extras, let me try mod bot for the first time...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gaspode_T, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-9F298A0EF6BE2D4E - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 5 entrants total.
Master Reboot -- MB-C645341C8D7FF914 - Taken by $h@d0w. 6 entrants total.

t1408890150z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah this mitsurugi kamui whatever game is bizarrely entertaining

beaten it on easy and now i'm going through it on normal and i dunno, it's got enough depth to last me a bit while being mashy enough that it doesn't require a heavy investment

and it's easy to lure me to play more with unlockable costumes

would totally buy more levels and new characters as dlc

ed: too bad the cool profile backgrounds are expensive as hell

Benedict

Don't know if it's been mentioned here before but Gamersgate is having a SEGA-sale right now.

Castle of Illusion is 75% off, as well as all the Sonic games, Binary Domain and so on.

BibiMaghoo

For three months I have had an issue with every game, where by it will randomly minimise to desktop mid game. Some times this is ok, because I'm playing a turn based game like HoMM, other times I am playing CSGO, and when defusing a bomb or about to shoot someone, my game gets minimised. I tried everything to get this sorted, practically wiped half my computer to do it.

Yesterday, I managed to find the problem. AVG antivirus when uninstalled, leaves a stupid stealth updater installed, which lies sneakily at the bottom of the task manager processes. When the minimise happens, this jumps to the top for literally half a second, then goes back down and looks like nothing happened.

Why am I telling you all this? So that you don't ever install AVG. If you ever have this problem, this is the culprit. It seems to be partly to blame on W8.1 also. There are other posts on Steam forums of people having the same problem, but it is never solved.

Never again. You cannot imagine how much I wanted to break my PC with this issue. Glad it's gone.

/cautionary tale

Thank you to whoever mentioned playing through FEAR Extraction Point recently, it pushed me to play it again. I'd forgotten how much fun the encounters are in the game/series.

Did FEAR 1 have dual pistols? I can't remember, but I'm having a blast with them (heuh heuh) this time around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Start of with some free.

Katawa Shoujo is more or less a dating sim, although the simulation part false short (which is good). You have a multiple story branches that decide weither you get to hang out with a girl, with what girl and the following relationship. Don't read any walktthroughs, at least during your first playthrough. Just play and see what you get.

On Steam you have Narcissu, "just" a story and Sunrider, a Visual Novel with various gameplay elements.
Sunrider is neat, if you can stand scifi tropes up the wazoo and various animeisms.

Every id game has a terrible ending. What was unforgivable, though, was the lack of a final boss. I know I'm not the only one who decided to save the game's version of the BFG for the final showdown... that never came.

I think the only game made by Id that I've ever finished was Commander Keen. The original Doom and Quake I think I did most of the episodes but not them all, got near the end in Doom 3 too (might go back to this one). I've finished Wolfenstein the New Order, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake 4 but they were made by others.

Jawmuncher

I have a stupid question!

Why do games put up a steam page, sometimes a week away or less from release, and do not have a purchase option? I'm looking at you STFU.

Anyone has an idea why they don't have the ability to pre-purchase? I have a gaming "budget" that I like to stick to, and purchasing in advance helps me with that.

I've been wondering the same thing.
Laziness I guess is the only true answer.

I can't get into the expansions. They're so... uninspired. I tried again last year, but didn't last more than an hour or so before calling it quits.

Oh they totally are. Should have phrased it "the minigun is the best and only good part about that game". I managed to finish Extraction Point at least, it had some decent stuff to it, but Perseus Mandate is the absolute definition of uninspired.

Jawmuncher

For three months I have had an issue with every game, where by it will randomly minimise to desktop mid game. Some times this is ok, because I'm playing a turn based game like HoMM, other times I am playing CSGO, and when defusing a bomb or about to shoot someone, my game gets minimised. I tried everything to get this sorted, practically wiped half my computer to do it.

Yesterday, I managed to find the problem. AVG antivirus when uninstalled, leaves a stupid stealth updater installed, which lies sneakily at the bottom of the task manager processes. When the minimise happens, this jumps to the top for literally half a second, then goes back down and looks like nothing happened.

Why am I telling you all this? So that you don't ever install AVG. If you ever have this problem, this is the culprit. It seems to be partly to blame on W8.1 also. There are other posts on Steam forums of people having the same problem, but it is never solved.

Never again. You cannot imagine how much I wanted to break my PC with this issue. Glad it's gone.

/cautionary tale

Its crazy how much pain AntiVirus can cause even though it's supposed to make things better/safe. Recently I know avast was fucking up people's computers.

Dr Dogg

I love how clean it looks. No clutter.

Some of the effects like per-pixel lighting, various mapping techniques and the shaders used to bring the effects work to life were ridiculously advanced at the time and some still hold up to this day. One thing that I always notice is that because the game was designed around a 4:3 aspect ratio (and initially only supporting resolutions in that ratio) all the cinemtatics have empty space to the left and right of the scene when rendered at a wider aspect ratio like 16:9.

Though FEAR does have the industrial, office block environment nailed down and some cracking level design that made the encounters, combined with the mechanics and AI, fun to replay over again. Condemned really shines in the ran down building and dark, deserted street department. Well that and use any item to bash crazy drug addicts in the head with simulator type gameplay

Turfster

ugh, not the best weekend.
Anyway, here we go:

4 hours left on the Humble Daily, Blackguards 66% off
They're also still running their Nordic Games up to 80% off weekend
Shadow Warrior 75% off at Gamersgate

Lazy Guys Late Autumn Bundle
Price: 2.99$
  • Major Mayhem
  • Ballpoint Universe
  • Knytt Underground
  • Song of the Myrne (GL)
  • Clusterpuck 99 (GL)
  • Vintage Year (GL)
  • YURY (GL)
  • Retention (GL)
  • Nekochan Hero (GL)
  • Expander (GL)
  • Steam and Metal (GL)
  • Unsummoning (GL)
  • Fatal Theory (GL)
  • Make it Indie (GL)
  • Guns and Robots Special DLC

JaseC

Oh they totally are. Should have phrased it "the minigun is the best and only good part about that game". I managed to finish Extraction Point at least, it had some decent stuff to it, but Perseus Mandate is the absolute definition of uninspired.

My mate and I were excited for the expansion packs way back when, deciding to wait until both of them had released before diving back into the series, but when the demo for Perseus Mandate hit I couldn't help myself. In hindsight it was a smart move since we didn't have to waste money/time on the full versions, haha.

Edit: Spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Major Mayhem -- MB-E36F1AFBAB8C5263 - Taken by derExperte
Knytt Underground -- MB-3F930BC466B581AA - Taken by Purkake4
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-B66FB146BC2A05C9 - Taken by jfredsilva

Zia

So I thought Gauntlet was supposed to be one of the "big" SteamOS grabs? They are still advertising SteamOS on the store page yet it seems that it's only launching on Windows.

So I thought Gauntlet was supposed to be one of the "big" SteamOS grabs? They are still advertising SteamOS on the store page yet it seems that it's only launching on Windows.

Yeah, probably waiting for SteamOS' and Steam Machines' official launch with the linux version?

JaseC

Could be an oversight. Unfortunately it's not possible to go digging for info since depots, configuration strings, and so on don't appear on SteamDB until the app status changes to preloadonly/released.

Zia

Yeah, probably waiting for SteamOS' and Steam Machines' official launch with the linux version?

I'm sure the development cycle works for Valve, and I'm pretty certain whatever comes of it will (eventually) be good, but it's got to be really frustrating for their partners.

Grief.exe

Could waiting until after the release date to get the Linux version out there.

Start of with some free.
Katawa Shoujo is more or less a dating sim, although the simulation part false short (which is good). You have a multiple story branches that decide weither you get to hang out with a girl, with what girl and the following relationship. Don't read any walktthroughs, at least during your first playthrough. Just play and see what you get.
On Steam you have Narcissu, "just" a story and Sunrider, a Visual Novel with various gameplay elements.
Thanks little birdy. I'll have a look at them. Also, welcome back! Pretty lttp I know :p
--
ugh, not the best weekend.[...]
Where have you been man? It was weird without seeing your deal posts and general ramblings. Arm got better I hope.
--
OT: I need to vent GAF. (Don't read it if you don't care about retail)
Honestly, here parents would have and have supported the clerk in situations like these. I have seen it many times. Brat behaves very rude/stupid -> clerk threatens -> parents side with clerk. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Anyhow, dude I fell asleep yesterday; total knock-out o_O I think it's the meds I take. They make me sleepy. Sorry, really wanted to play CS:GO :(

Turfster

Where have you been man? It was weird without seeing your deal posts and general ramblings. Arm got better I hope.
Yeah, arm's doing better, thanks. Not perfect by any means, but at least I can use it for things now.
Had a splitting headache for most of yesterday, though, so I spent most of it in bed.

Elements 1$ on DIG, on Greenlight

Great. Was at a party yesterday evening and couldnt buy AC4 from uPlay because of their ridiculous time requirement...

It's still discounted for over a day here, apparently.
I've considered it, but AC3 really made me leery about getting more AC

chixdiggit

Speaking of Gauntlet, am I the only one excited for this? I loved Legends and Dark Legacy so much.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-BC6CD48277E11070 - Taken by Capt.Haddock
Stick it To The Man! -- MB-395417BAFBF06AEC - Taken by Aitor

MattyG

Banned
Should I look for any graphics mods for Mirror's Edge? I've seen some screens of it on Steam and it looks amazing, but I can't tell if it's vanilla or not.

They had been mispriced as 75% off in previous sales, but only for a short time.

OT: Checking in at the airport, I'm going home.
I grabbed it during the 2-3 minute window when it was mispriced during the winter sale. I love Steam price glitches.
franco-so-good.gif

$h@d0w

Misc stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me ($h@d0w, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gratuitous Space Battles Multiplayer Key -- MB-B3DCD694D45C6D2E
Batman Arkham Origins DLC -- MB-C9608CA317042916 - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Gotham City Impostors Professional Kit -- MB-9CC8374D4C06A603
The Lord of the Rings Online Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-F3BFE2298E40FA0A

t1408901790z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom