• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like bumping my own posts, but I'd really like it if someone could give me any tip here:

Debating about whether to get the Orcs Must Die franchise pack ($8.74) or The Witcher 1 & 2 ($9.98). I haven't played any of these games before, and I'm not a big fan of RPGs, but the screenshots of both The Witcher games are really beautiful, and make me wanna play them. Is it kinda like a single player version of WoW? If so, I'm interested. Any recommendations?

Nabs

BLOPS2 is really terrible, at least in its current state. They might still be able to fix it, but I don't know how anyone could recommend it as it is right now. (And I've put 25 hours into BLOPS 2 vs 240 hours into MW3 and am in no way a COD hater).

I'm having a great time with it.

Max

I am not Max
Witcher 2 for $7.50, Deus Ex for $5... absolute steals. I envy people who are just getting them at those prices. .

FTL flash deal please gabe

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hmm, says 46:46:47 on mine.

The text does specify through the 26th, which is today. Unless they mean that the 27th will be a recap day, there's not much reason to believe it will continue on and the time being displayed isn't set properly as it is the only "Daily" set of deals that would be lasting 24 hours instead of 48.

Carm

I don't like bumping my own posts, but I'd really like it if someone could give me any tip here:

Orcs Must Die! 1+2 have demos on Steam, should check them out. The Witcher 1+2 is very much worth that price, though the combat mechanics do turn off some people in the first game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BLOPS2 is really terrible, at least in its current state. They might still be able to fix it, but I don't know how anyone could recommend it as it is right now. (And I've put 25 hours into BLOPS 2 vs 240 hours into MW3 and am in no way a COD hater).
Crazy opinion. How is Blops 2 terrible?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The closest thing to singleplayer WoW I can think of is Kingdoms of Amalur (or maaaybe the Elder Scrolls games).
Shame it won't ever go on sale again, at least the Steam version :(

Orcs Must Die! 1+2 have demos on Steam, should check them out. The Witcher 1+2 is very much worth that price, though the combat mechanics to turn off some people in the first game.
Nice, didn't know about the demos. Downloading OMD demo right now. TW1 & 2 sound interesting, how is the combat like? Will I get a proper feel of it by watching a combat vid on Youtube?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No, not really. Many of the characters are returning from the first game but it tells it's own complete story. It's probably worth while catching up on what happened in the first and who the characters are but even if you don't the game has a very comprehensive context sensitive codex. They also play very differently.

Not at all, a summary of the events in the first one should be more than sufficient. Returning characters, including the main character, are characterised quite a bit differently (and much better) in the second game. I actually found playing them back to back made the transition a little jarring.

Thank you guys!

Neither Witcher game feels like a WOW or any other MMO. They are single player RPGs where you take on the role of a specific character. Both games are known for having pretty mature stories. Expect sex, violence, racism, morally gray NPCs etc etc.

The Witcher 1 is a solid RPG with a great story but the combat can be pretty clunky and can feel dated at times. Also starts off pretty slow.

The Witcher 2 is great. It's kind of a hybrid between a traditional RPG with a less fluid / responsive version of Batman Arkham's combat.

Both rule tbh.

Crazy opinion. How is Blops 2 terrible?

On PC? The BLOPS2 thread is full of some of the mp issues. And it's love/hate on the campaign, and I'm personally not on the love side. YMMV.

No, go back to the best. MW2, we need more players to find in matchmaking :(

Best answer.

I'm having a great time with it.

I want to have a great time with it, but I don't want to run with the same SMG/perk set that seems to be all the rage.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I need to stop checking my app at work, just bought Dirt Showdown, Witcher 2 and Legend of Grimlock. I'm done, I'm fucking done, lololol.

Salsa

btw Rocket Birds Hardboiled Chicken is currently $5

rocketbirds-hardboiled-chicken-37-700x395.jpg

Castle Crashers leaves me at $0 but people might wanna know since its not highlighted anywhere. Heard its a pretty good somewhat stealth/Abe's oddysee kinda game, and it has a great look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Rq-1ngOyQ

AlexBasch

Okay then, I should get into finishing The Witcher until the next sale. (Dec.20?)

I mean, it can't be that long, right guys?

...right?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Neither Witcher game feels like a WOW or any other MMO. They are single player RPGs where you take on the role of a specific character. Both games are known for having pretty mature stories. Expect sex, violence, racism, morally gray NPCs etc etc.

The Witcher 1 is a solid RPG with a great story but the combat can be pretty clunky and can feel dated at times. Also starts off pretty slow.

The Witcher 2 is great. It's kind of a hybrid between a traditional RPG with a less fluid / responsive version of Batman Arkham's combat.

Both rule tbh.
Thanks, those themes, if well done, can make for a good experience. TW2 sounds great, and I think I can bear with the first one having a low start and weird combat. Wish I could decide between them or the OMD franchise, I'd hate to get both and see my wallet committing suicide xD

(though I'll probably end up doing exactly that)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just a heads up, The Witcher: EE Directors Cut is $2.50. I brought that and think will hold off on buying the second one until I finish this one.

I heard Grimrock can get pretty rough, is it entirely doable if i am kind of a noob with this type of game? ( i never really played Lands of Lore etc. when i was younger because they seemed to imposing to me lol)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just bought Witcher 2 EE. My PC is getting lots of love lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom