• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Gta 4 complete pack worth it? Haven't played it yet and kinda want a GTA...

Performance wise, GATIV is a terrible port for some. For others it randomly runs decently, its really schizophrenic in who gets lucky.

GTAIV story wise is enjoyable if you like older, world weary protagonists forced into violence instead of cocky 20 year olds out to prove themselves (basically its a proto-RDR).

The Episodes:

The episodes were planned ahead of the main game so there are minor guest appearances and mentions by the characters throughout all three.

The ballad of Gay Tony introduces a new weapon(I think its only the automatic shotgun that breaks the game balance.. sorry it's been a few years so I can't remember any others.) but every character is uninteresting or unlikeable, except for maybe Amir if you're into charismatic fools.

The Lost and the Damned has cookie cutter characters and the story arc becomes obvious about an hour in. They introduced biker gang specific mechanics and weapons, but they're not really useful.

Raxus

Witcher 2? I am willing to tax my PC. Bought.

Damage so far this sale.

Orcs Must Die 2, Witcher 2, and Torchlight 2 all for 20 bucks.

I sense a theme...

Kingbrave

Performance wise, GATIV is a terrible port for some. For others it randomly runs decently, its really schizophrenic in who gets lucky.

GTAIV story wise is enjoyable if you like older, world weary protagonists forced into violence instead of cocky 20 year olds out to prove themselves (basically its a proto-RDR).

The Episodes:

The episodes were planned ahead of the main game so there are minor guest appearances and mentions by the characters throughout all three.

The ballad of Gay Tony introduces a new weapon(I think its only the automatic shotgun that breaks the game balance.. sorry it's been a few years so I can't remember any others.) but every character is uninteresting or unlikeable, except for maybe Amir if you're into charismatic fools.

The Lost and the Damned has cookie cutter characters and the story arc becomes obvious about an hour in. They introduced biker gang specific mechanics and weapons, but they're not really useful.
Thanks.

Think San Andreas for 3.74 better?

Carm

Shame it won't ever go on sale again, at least the Steam version :(

Nice, didn't know about the demos. Downloading OMD demo right now. TW1 & 2 sound interesting, how is the combat like? Will I get a proper feel of it by watching a combat vid on Youtube?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-witcher/837045p1.html

From the review about combat
Combat is also timing-based. During the game's development there was the misconception that combat was a lot like the click-fest design of games like Diablo or Titan Quest. This could not be further from the truth. Geralt can use various combat styles such as Strong, Fast or Group to take on foes. During a fight he can string together combos by clicking the mouse when a flaming sword icon appears; if you click too soon or too late he messes up his attack and has to start all over again which can prove a lethal mistake when fighting particularly tough monsters. A slip up and you give the initiative back to the enemy. There is nothing in the game that allows you to frantically click the mouse to kill monsters. It's all-stat based and you can even pause the action to issue commands.

RedSwirl

If I'm to get CS, Counter-Strike Complete should be the one to get right? The only CS I've ever played has been the free weekend of Global Offensive so I'm still a total novice at the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, for Rockstar games you're better off getting the console version, I learned my lesson with L.A. Noire.
There are exceptions. Max Payne 3 is EXCELLENT on the PC.

GTA IV has a lot of issues, but you can definitely achieve results that far exceed the original game as well.

Witcher 2 + Guide pack is $14.99, but Witcher 2 + Guide separately = $12.48 (Just pointing that out in case anyone buys the guide.)
That's ridiculous that they made a guide in the first place. Every copy of Witcher 2 comes with a walkthrough for free. Sure there's more to guides than a walkthrough, but that's what mouse over tool tips are for.

Weird, the store page doesn't show me as owning the Kill Hitler DLC for Sniper Elite V2 but if I view the the game in my library, right click, properties > DLC, it shows that I do own the DLC.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Happy to report that although quite tempted throughout this sale, I've refrained from adding to my backlog. Now to click buy for Touchlight 2...

snack

If I'm to get CS, Counter-Strike Complete should be the one to get right? The only CS I've ever played has been the free weekend of Global Offensive so I'm still a total novice at the game.
Get CS GO. Even though its the least played of the three at the moment, it's the future of CS. From what I heard, the next Valve International will have CS GO so it can only get bigger from here on out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

For sure. And it scales really well too. :) I have to turn down the textures and play in DX10.1 mode, but it runs nice and smooth in 1080P and with a little MSAA on my modest rig. Pretty fun shooter, too.

Gosh, I have so many good games to play right now. I need to quit my job or something.

AlexBasch

GTA IV has a lot of issues, but you can definitely achieve results that far exceed the original game as well.
Duh, you're right. Well, they got it right at least!

I'm aware of that realistic looking mod for example, but the game running horribly in 1042x768 with everything in low and still getting choppy framerate, while getting better performance on more demanding games is quite baffling. :p

Anyone else not bought anything?
Only thing I bought was a gift for another Gaffer that helped me get Spec Ops The Line from Gamefly, not sure if that counts.

Wanted to get Alan Wake but thought it would never go on sale, silly me. Now to wait until Santa Gaben sales.

Having the Steam app on your phone during a Steam Sale is dangerous. It would be like if LSD was on an easy to consume, innocuous little piece of paper....oh god, no wonder why the 60's were so awesome. They had steam sale steam app drugs. Yep, that last sentence checks out.

It's weird to recommend a complete collection of multiplayer games because you're really gonna find the one you like and stick to it, but considering it's only 2 fiddy difference you might as well get Complete if you wanna dabble in all of them and see if one of them grabs you.

Ihya

I heard Grimrock can get pretty rough, is it entirely doable if i am kind of a noob with this type of game? ( i never really played Lands of Lore etc. when i was younger because they seemed to imposing to me lol)

To be honest I it became more a quicksave exercise workout later in the game for me. The first half is well balanced but after that it is quicksave, quickload, quicksave, quickload every 3 minutes...

RedSwirl

Get CS GO. Even though its the least played of the three at the moment, it's the future of CS. From what I heard, the next Valve International will have CS GO so it can only get bigger from here on out.

CS Complete right now is just $2.50 more for three additional versions of the game though.

justjim89

Managed to hold off for the most part. Only got Cave Story+, Dead Island, and RAGE. Christmas Sale is just around the corner anyway, so that's when I'll eliminate my wishlist.

To be honest I it became more a quicksave exercise workout later in the game for me. The first half is well balanced but after that it is quicksave, quickload, quicksave, quickload every 3 minutes...

Thanks for an honest opinion.... i just read some other impressions and it seems i really might lack the kind of dedication necessary to complete something like this nowadays!

Pass!

My Haul:

Payday the Heist + DLC: $7.50
Max Payne 3 Season Pass: $7.50
Critter Crunch: $1.74
Magicka: Free (gifted by Splatbang ^_^)
Zeno Clash: $ 0.99
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD: $ 4.99
Counter Strike Complete: $ 9.99

Total: $ 32.71

Not bad :D (Even though I'm preordering Far Cry 3 Deluxe Edition >_>)

No, go back to the best. MW2, we need more players to find in matchmaking :(

More like COD4, or BLOPS1 if you want something a bit newer. These are the only two i've really enjoyed.

In any case, if you're playing MW2, you should really be using AlterIWNet and not Steam matchmaking.

Teggy

Can anyone recommend some story-based indie games? Thougt I'd fill my cart up with some $1-$2 games to try. Doesn't have to be all story, but more than generic isometric zombie shooter 12.

I have To The Moon already, but not a lot of indie games.

Can anyone recommend some story-based indie games? Thougt I'd fill my cart up with some $1-$2 games to try. Doesn't have to be all story, but more than generic isometric zombie shooter 12.

I have To The Moon already, but not a lot of indie games.

Analogue: A Hate Story is worth picking up.

1-D_FTW

Duh, you're right. Well, they got it right at least!

I'm aware of that realistic looking mod for example, but the game running horribly in 1042x768 with everything in low and still getting choppy framerate, while getting better performance on more demanding games is quite baffling. :p

If the second part is referring to GTA IV, it wants CPU cores. If you only have a dual core (that can't hyper thread up to 4), it's not going to perform well. It'll be very choppy and uneven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom