• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora_N

Omg, can't believe everything CS is on 75%...except the new one. Should I bother buying the complete pack or just buy Global Offensive?

EDIT: I was just hoping for a 50% for CSGO but the complete pack is a better value lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
Omg, can't believe everything CS is on 75%...except the new one. Should I bother buying the complete pack or just buy Global Offensive?

EDIT: I was just hoping for a 50% for CSGO but the complete pack is a better value lol.

Just go with the Complete pack. Odds are you'll just play GO, but it'll be nice to have the others as a reference.

jediyoshi

It's hard to go wrong either way. Unlike other mp games, it's not really a gamble seeing as 1.6, css and go all have active players. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend. I'd go for it just to fill out the library

Sora_N

Yeah I wouldn't mind checking out some of the old games, never owned them.

Thanks guys :)

I did pretty well for this Steam sale, only bought the CS bundle!

abracadaver

I need someone to gift me call of duty 4 please.

Its on sale for 10$ in the US but its 12,49€ and censored here in germany. I will pay you the money back through paypal immediately. Is there a special thread for this ?

Sora_N

I need someone to gift me call of duty 4 please.

Its on sale for 10$ in the US but its 12,49€ and censored here in germany. I will pay you the money back through paypal immediately. Is there a special thread for this ?

I'd do it for you but I'm at work, hope someone else can help you out!

Miker

Shit, I've been good so far and restricted myself to Critter Crunch and Kotor II for less than $5, but XCOM for $25 at Amazon and $7.50 Witcher 2 will be the death of me and/or my wallet.

Do you guys see either XCOM or Witcher 2 being cheaper than their current prices come Winter Sale?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

Think San Andreas for 3.74 better?

Mechanics:

The problem with Rockstar's first three games (GTA3, GTA:VC, GTA:SA) is that the controls were always half terrible. This is especially true for flight mechanics. GTAIV at least had a competent set of gameplay (except helicopters) mechanics.

SA is the " and the kitchen sink" of the GTA series. It builds on the the variety of things to use from the previous two titles but introduces more variants of weapons and outrageous vehicles such as the jet pack and multiple aircraft, including a fighter. Its one of the reasons that GTAIV was panned by some users because IV had a more realistic limit on the weapons and vehicles you could play with. But honestly, the people who gripe about the variety are looking through rose-tinted glasses. Even though you get to use a fighter, silenced pistol, etc the items feel like they were thrown in by Rockstar as an afterthought. The story doesn't include mechanics that make it a benefit to use the different variants of weapons outside of the look/sounds they make and the quirky vehicles are more like distractions than actual meaningful additions.

This game has the most amount of character customization for any GTA introducing hair customization (especially 80s and 90s hair). There's also a series of customization minigames where you can change the fitness of CJ (Main Character) but the stats degrade so quickly that it isn't worth the effort.

Story wise:

How familiar and how much are you into 90's LA/ 90s west coast rap history? Because, if you are, you will especially get a lot out of it. Otherwise, the story is still decent enough to move the gameplay along. It starts off with a grounded LA gang life story but edges into grandiose scale but not as far as the Saints Row titles go. Also unlike VC or 3, the story of SA is more grindy so a lot of time is consumed needlessly.

TLDR: at ~$4.00 sure get the game, mechanically it hasn't aged very well and is overrated by many people.

ACE 1991

So I bought Arkham City for $7.49 on Amazon, does anyone know if it's just the standard edition and not the game of the year of the year edition? I'm only concerned because I want to make sure my copy at least has the catwoman DLC.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a Castle Crashers 4 pack I could get in?

ShaneB

Do you guys see either XCOM or Witcher 2 being cheaper than their current prices come Winter Sale?

Witcher 2 probably not.

X-com? Maybe. It's 50% off at Amazon as you said.. so there's a slight chance it could be 66% off somewhere during christmas. If you're going to play it now, by all means buy it, but if if you're not, I know you can muster up some self control and wait :)

Symphonic

Shit, I've been good so far and restricted myself to Critter Crunch and Kotor II for less than $5, but XCOM for $25 at Amazon and $7.50 Witcher 2 will be the death of me and/or my wallet.

Witcher probably no. XCOM I could see at 20 or 15.

So I bought Arkham City for $7.49 on Amazon, does anyone know if it's just the standard edition and not the game of the year of the year edition? I'm only concerned because I want to make sure my copy at least has the catwoman DLC.

All PC versions include Catwoman, sadly.

Its the standard edition, I don't believe Amazon carries the GOTY edition.

Miker

Witcher 2 probably not.

X-com? Maybe. It's 50% off at Amazon as you said.. so there's a slight chance it could be 66% off somewhere during christmas. If you're going to play it now, by all means buy it, but if if you're not, I know you can muster up some self control and wait :)

Witcher probably no. XCOM I could see at 20 or 15.

Interesting that both of you guys say no to Witcher getting cheaper instead of XCOM, given that Witcher is the older game and XCOM won't even be three months old by the end of the winter sale. I guess it says something about how CD Projekt and 2K handle their sales.

Le-mo

The Witcher 2 is really tempting me at that price. The only thing stopping me from buying it is that I didn't finish the first game. I got to the spider boss in a cave and for some reasons stopped playing it. I lost my save file and don't feel like replaying it from the beginning and don't want to start the Witcher 2 without beating the first game.

Can anyone recommend some story-based indie games? Thougt I'd fill my cart up with some $1-$2 games to try. Doesn't have to be all story, but more than generic isometric zombie shooter 12.

I have To The Moon already, but not a lot of indie games.

Bastion has a great story.

ShaneB

Interesting that both of you guys say no to Witcher getting cheaper instead of XCOM, given that Witcher is the older game and XCOM won't even be three months old by the end of the winter sale. I guess it says something about how CD Projekt and 2K handle their sales.

Well it's more about sales math. 75% off is usually the high benchmark.

Unless Witcher 2 gets a base price drop to 20$, 75% is 5 dollars. I don't forsee that price drop happening, so it'll likely be 75% again, which will still be 7.50.

X-com, the newer game, is still 50$, but the sales % is fluctuating. I don't see the price drop changing from 50 before the year is over. So 50% off today, maybe 50% with a coupon at GMG maybe, or 66% off.. etc.. it'll be around 20/25$ wherever it's on sale I think this christmas.

Of course, the race to the bottom is certainly changing in terms of sales and pricing, so who the heck knows.

Miker

Well it's more about sales math. 75% off is usually the high benchmark.

Unless Witcher 2 gets a base price drop to 20$, 75% is 5 dollars. I don't forsee that price drop happening, so it'll likely be 75% again, which will still be 7.50.

X-com, the newer game, is still 50$, but the sales % is fluctuating. I don't see the price drop changing from 50 before the year is over. So 50% off today, maybe 50% with a coupon at GMG maybe, or 66% off.. etc.. it'll be around 20/25$ wherever it's on sale I think this christmas.

Of course, the race to the bottom is certainly changing in terms of sales and pricing, so who the heck knows.

Yeah, I agree. I think I'd rather buy XCOM at this point, and I find it difficult to believe it'll fall hit $20 or below in the Christmas sale given its popular status on PC (which makes $25 tempting), but it makes sense that Witcher 2 is less likely to be cheaper during the Christmas sale. Decisions, decisions.

Still holding out hope for M&M: Clash of Heroes to see a flash sale before it's all over.

Other than that, I got a good haul for this sale and I'm looking forward to Winter Sale. X-COM, Fallen Enchantress and Dead Island... those are the top 3 for the holidays for me!

Edit: And Chivalry. I almost picked it up this week but I figured my boys will also want it, so thought I'd wait and make it a Xmas thing instead.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just saw that CS:GO is $7.49 and CS:Complete is $7.50, I don't know what to do...

cicero

Can anyone recommend some story-based indie games? Thougt I'd fill my cart up with some $1-$2 games to try. Doesn't have to be all story, but more than generic isometric zombie shooter 12.

I have To The Moon already, but not a lot of indie games.

IMO, this is the best story-based Indie game deal currently going. Only about 7 1/2 hours left to buy it though.

This is clearly non-Steam related, but certainly worthwhile to mention. I would seriously consider buying it on GOG.com if I were you. They have a Pick 5 & Pay $10 promotion going on right now. It won't activate on Steam, but it is DRM free, you get all of the extras, and four other great games, all for $2 each.

Games to choose from. I highlighted the ones I found notable.
  • Resonance
  • Botanicula
  • To The Moon
  • Gemini Rue
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • Blackwell Bundle
  • Torchlight
  • Uplink: Hacker Elite
  • Geneforge Saga 1-5
  • Machinarium: Collector's Edition
  • SpaceChem
  • Defcon
  • Trine
  • Symphony
  • Darwinia
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Anomaly Warzone Earth
  • Multiwinia
  • Unmechanical
  • The Ball

Noooooooooooo

I didn't get around to purchasing Deus Ex HR last night, so I thought I'd just purchase it with the Steam App on my iPod Touch today while at work.

It wouldn't work. :( I don't know if it was blocked or if it just couldn't secure an SSL connection or something (that was an error it had).

So... missed out on that deal.

nexen

Noooooooooooo

I didn't get around to purchasing Deus Ex HR last night, so I thought I'd just purchase it with the Steam App on my iPod Touch today while at work.

It wouldn't work. :( I don't know if it was blocked or if it just couldn't secure an SSL connection or something (that was an error it had).

Don't worry, man. Deus Ex HR is the new Torchlight of DD sales. Goes on sale super cheap every few weeks somewhere.

kaleii

IMO, this is the best story-based Indie game deal currently going. Only about 7 1/2 hours left to buy it though.

Mmm, bought these five at GOG the other day. 10 bucks is insane: Resonance,
Botanicula, To The Moon, Gemini Rue and Machinarium: Collector's Edition.

Steam sale has only resulted in Psychonauts so far. But I got Skyrim cheap from Viagame.se.

Question: I missed out on Dawnguard for 50 percent. Is it recommended to have it from the start? It's at 33 percent discount right now, and I'm wondering if I'll lose out if I don't have it from the very beginning.

Noooooooooooo

You might be interested in this:
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2289

Should be $3.75 in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom