• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

I still don't feel good about having to download the 30GB for Max Payne 3. Probably wouldn't be able to play it for a long-ass time anyway.

HoosTrax

With the addons or without? :D
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is quite substantial in terms of singleplayer campaign length (I think it's as long as the vanilla game's campaign).

Tales of Valor is short of meh. It's kind of like Retribution for Dawn of War II, in that they didn't spend much effort on crafting a singleplayer campaign worth mentioning. The gameplay in ToV is also more similar to DoW2 than a regular RTS.

Caerith

Yes, I went and doubled checked the Season Pass page and that seems about right.

66% off and I won't play it anytime soon. I'll wait for 75%!
Hm, yeah. Darksiders II is basically $30 to get the full game when you include the non-weapon DLC. Guess I'll wait for the winter sale, if THQ survives that long.

Amzin

Nevermind!

This isn't a steam question, but I can't post in the CAG thread yet, so does anyone know what happened to the Prototype Pack on amazon? I saw it for like an hour the other day and it was gone when I went to buy it. Had Prototype 1 + 2 for $9.99

Platy

I don't think they are (yet). I just don't think there are any Brazil gaffers who have offered to buy stuff for others yet. At least I've never seen one.

This is the first sale where we can buy without an internetional credit cart ... we need to make more tests before we try stuffs like that =x

What if we get a game cheaper and then suddenly in the payment it appears a magical "digital gaming transaction" tax or something ... it would not surprise me, considering the insane amount of taxing videogames have

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well my hypothesis from yesterday was confirmed; the turkey was not dead. That's cool.

However, I am skeptical that Tappet's strategy of hanging on to the turkey to slow his descent is a good one. I'm reading based on scientific research that birds of prey tend to be able to carry around a maximum of one half their weight while flying. Owls can carry a lot more. The turkey, of course, is a dramatically less well suited bird for flying than any kind of bird of prey. Still, we'll be generous. (Live) turkeys weigh around 15-20 pounds on average, so we can assume it can carry with ease 7.5-10 pounds.

Now, I don't know what Tappet weighs and I know it's rude to make assumptions.

During Christmas 2010, Tappet was the reindeer on the Steam Christmas sleigh. Reindeers typically weigh 300 or so pounds. But we can also assume that the sleigh was mini-sized, because we also know that Tappet is around two feet tall based on his relative weight compared to human characters in the Christmas 2011 and Summer 2010 photos. We can guess he's anywhere from 2-3 feet tall. Reindeer are around 6 feet long. Now, Tappet is variously bipedal and not, so it's difficult to do an exact comparison, but we'll sort of say he's around 1/3rd the size of a reindeer. That puts him at 100 pounds.

The odds that the turkey, even in its CLEARLY vigorous flapping, could significantly slow their descent, is very low based on the available data.

Meanwhile CyL is a badass. Where did he even get those shades?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can't send as gift from Germany as well so I'm used to that (the fee normally is +$0.30 + 3.9% of the amount sent or something like that). And I use my PP account in three different currencies and send money all over the world and never had a problem.

So theoretically, it should work.

Hey, turns out it does work!

It's a little different, though. It's not as seamless as the other way around.

Technically, I need to receive the money. Then wait a couple of minutes for the payment to show up on my account, accept it, convert it to BRL (I received a payment in BRL and had the option to receive it in USD or BRL), wait a couple minutes until it shows up as valid funds on my account AND THEN buy the game.

So it takes like 5-15 minutes for a complete transaction to be done (from the moment you send me payment on paypal to the moment I'll gift you the game). And you have to give me an extra 10% on top of the cost, because of the paypal tax.

It's not that bad. As long as you know I won't be able to gift you the game right away.

... I might have a new line of "work" cut out for me.

I really was not planning on spending any money during this (lol...) but daaaamn, Max Payne 3...

I have actually still yet to finish the first or even play the second when I got them sometime last year, but Steam being Steam is making me want to get MP3 because I can :/

Hey, turns out it does work!

It's a little different, though. It's not as seamless as the other way around.

Technically, I need to receive the money. Then wait a couple of minutes for the payment to show up on my account, accept it, convert it to BRL (I received a payment in BRL and had the option to receive it in USD or BRL), wait a couple minutes until it shows up as valid funds on my account AND THEN buy the game.

So it takes like 5-15 minutes for a complete transaction to be done (from the moment you send me payment on paypal to the moment I'll gift you the game). And you have to give me an extra 10% on top of the cost, because of the paypal tax.

It's not that bad. As long as you know I won't be able to gift you the game right away.

... I might have a new line of "work" cut out for me.

How much is the actual fee? PP usually takes 3.9% of the payment + a fixed amount per transaction. I might PM you later in the sale to try this out with something. Right now there's nothing I really want.
A google search says 3.9% + 0.40 BRL fixed? Can you confirm that?

Chris R

Just want to see LA Noire and Dark Souls on sale sometime before the end of the year (this sale isn't going to run until the end of the year is it? There should be a holiday sale right?)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How much is the actual fee? PP usually takes 3.9% of the payment + a fixed amount per transaction. I might PM you later in the sale to try this out with something. Right now there's nothing I really want.

I'm not really sure. I received a 21.50 BRL payment. They took out 2.19 in tax.

They don't disclosure actual taxes (like the % per transaction plus taxes), but 10% is usually the math I do when I do this (whatever for the payment plus a little tip to whoever is helping me).

I personalyl think it's not worth it for most games (since we're usually 1-2 dollars cheaper only). But for games with special pricing (like Rockstar games), it's worth it.

Well my hypothesis from yesterday was confirmed; the turkey was not dead. That's cool.

However, I am skeptical that Tappet's strategy of hanging on to the turkey to slow his descent is a good one. I'm reading based on scientific research that birds of prey tend to be able to carry around a maximum of one half their weight while flying. Owls can carry a lot more. The turkey, of course, is a dramatically less well suited bird for flying than any kind of bird of prey. Still, we'll be generous. (Live) turkeys weigh around 15-20 pounds on average, so we can assume it can carry with ease 7.5-10 pounds.

During Christmas 2010, Tappet was the reindeer on the Steam Christmas sleigh. Reindeers typically weigh 300 or so pounds. But we can also assume that the sleigh was mini-sized, because we also know that Tappet is around two feet tall based on his relative weight compared to human characters in the Christmas 2011 and Summer 2010 photos. We can guess he's anywhere from 2-3 feet tall. Reindeer are around 6 feet long. Now, Tappet is variously bipedal and not, so it's difficult to do an exact comparison, but we'll sort of say he's around 1/3rd the size of a reindeer. That puts him at 100 pounds.

The odds that the turkey, even in its CLEARLY vigorous flapping, could significantly slow their descent, is very low based on the available data.

Literally what are you doing with your life?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Salary is in my account in 4 hours... not a good thing...

I'm not really sure. I received a 21.50 BRL payment. They took out 2.19 in tax.

They don't disclosure actual taxes (like the % per transaction plus taxes), but 10% is usually the math I do when I do this (whatever for the payment plus a little tip to whoever is helping me).

I personalyl think it's not worth it for most games (since we're usually 1-2 dollars cheaper only). But for games with special pricing (like Rockstar games), it's worth it.

That is really high. I guess 10% is ok for a rough estimate, it would just suck if someone sent you a tiny bit less than necessary because we don't know the actual formula.

Literally what are you doing with your life?

Being awesome.
I'm looking forward to his post every day. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Stumps, Writes Twilight Steam Fanfiction.

I'm going with the whole Steam user base is huge, now we don't have to discount deals as much anymore theory.

Kinda weird because Steam used to actually have good deals, it's been going down hill for about a year and half sale's wise.

GMG to the rescue however.

Talyn

wkrp.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm going with the whole Steam user base is huge, now we don't have to discount deals as much anymore theory.

Kinda weird because Steam used to actually have good deals, it's been going down hill for about a year and half sale's wise.

Steam didn't really go down hill as opposed to other stores noticed that if they dropped prices, people would buy, so they're just dropping prices more aggressively than Steam.

Amazon is openly doing that to increase their Digital Distribution userbase. Tony would openly admit to it. Greenmangaming's strategy has always been to get a little less money with each transaction.

It's just competition.

Tizoc

Oh great, Steam is not opening up due to heavy traffic.
...and I need to sleep in 4 hours time, GET A BIGGER DISCOUNT OF ORCS AND MEN, DAMN YOU!

As is, I think my purcahses for tonight'll be:
Lost Horizon, LucasArts Adv. Pack & Bone Collection totaling at $15. I have some stuff I want to get but they're $10 or such, so I'll wait and see if they get discounted over the next few days.
BTW last day of the sale is 26 or 27 Nov?

kswiston

You forgot to take the exponential relationship between size and weight into consideration. An adult moose stands about 6 feet high at the shoulder and is 9 feet long. At that size they weight about 800lbs. A big white tailed deer will be 4 feet high at the shoulder, and measure around 6 feet in length, but will only weigh 200-250lbs similar to your reindeer. Based on Tappet's size, I would put his weight closer to 50lbs.

However, working against this portrayal is the fact that lift coefficients depend on air density, and at subspace altitudes a bird would be unable to generate the required lift to counteract the force of gravity.

You dont seriously think that Valve can set prices for other companies games.

Salsa

deals on Steam are as good as ever. Only difference is that people own more stuff thus finding them more useless, and that places like GMG and Amazon have caught up, and in certain areas surpassed them in terms of deals of some specific games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom