• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I think there's a lot of assumptions about how Steam/Amazon/GMG work regarding sales when the reality is: we dont know shit.

Im just happy to have all 3 opportunities to get cheap games, I dont need alliances

I think there's a lot of assumptions about how Steam/Amazon/GMG work regarding sales when the reality is: we dont know shit.

Im just happy to have all 3 opportunities to get cheap games, I dont need alliances

spoken like a true Steam fanboy

I agree while my wallet weeps

HoosTrax

Well my hypothesis from yesterday was confirmed; the turkey was not dead. That's cool.

However, I am skeptical that Tappet's strategy of hanging on to the turkey to slow his descent is a good one. I'm reading based on scientific research that birds of prey tend to be able to carry around a maximum of one half their weight while flying. Owls can carry a lot more. The turkey, of course, is a dramatically less well suited bird for flying than any kind of bird of prey. Still, we'll be generous. (Live) turkeys weigh around 15-20 pounds on average, so we can assume it can carry with ease 7.5-10 pounds.

Now, I don't know what Tappet weighs and I know it's rude to make assumptions.

During Christmas 2010, Tappet was the reindeer on the Steam Christmas sleigh. Reindeers typically weigh 300 or so pounds. But we can also assume that the sleigh was mini-sized, because we also know that Tappet is around two feet tall based on his relative weight compared to human characters in the Christmas 2011 and Summer 2010 photos. We can guess he's anywhere from 2-3 feet tall. Reindeer are around 6 feet long. Now, Tappet is variously bipedal and not, so it's difficult to do an exact comparison, but we'll sort of say he's around 1/3rd the size of a reindeer. That puts him at 100 pounds.

The odds that the turkey, even in its CLEARLY vigorous flapping, could significantly slow their descent, is very low based on the available data.

Meanwhile CyL is a badass. Where did he even get those shades?
What are your thoughts as to the state of Sir Roderick Bodkin? Is that a Cthulhu mask he's wearing? Or did the heat from re-entry through the atmosphere do him in, and that is in fact his desiccated skull?

How do you think Amazon is getting all these deals? Because they're aggresively pushing for them. I dion't think Valve is actively doing that as much/at all.

Amazon and other companies are probably taking a smaller percentage so as to make a dent in Steams numbers. Make no mistake if they were to gain market share then they would take the same percentage as Valve does or more. But in the end game would you want a privately owned company like Valve to be the largest DD distributer on PC, or a publicly traded company like Amazon?

The goal of every publicly traded company is the same, increase the value of their stock. Right now that is through an expanding customer base as more and more people buy goods through Amazon. Eventually when those numbers of customers level out it will be through higher prices and increased profit. There is only one thing that matters for a publicly traded company and that's the people who buy shares in the company. Nobody wants to pay $100 for a share that will be worth $90 6 months later. And a publicly traded companies only goal is to do their best to make sure that doesnt happen to the people that buy stock in their company. That's not the kind of business that I want in control of digital distribution on PC.

Salsa

What do you think GAF, Max Payne 3 for 15 or Sleeping Dogs for 25

this one's a goodie cause IMO they're both close to GOTY material. I personally think Sleeping Dogs can get cheaper (it has been already) and ussually you dont get steam codes for Max Payne 3 deals outside of Steam, so.. take that as you will

kswiston

How do you think Amazon is getting all these deals? Because they're aggresively pushing for them. I dion't think Valve is actively doing that as much/at all.

As big as Steam is for PC Digital Distribution, you can't discount the fact that Amazon is the world's largest online retailer and one of the world's largest internet-based companies. I am sure Amazon has a ton of bargaining power, moreso than Valve.

All those people picking up XCom will not be disappointed.

Max Payne for $14.99 is a great deal right now.

I picked up Walking Dead. Should I watch some TV shows before playing the game?

Nabs

Remember to take advantage of the Amazon sale. Max Payne 3 is now $15 and you get that $5 editors choice credit for January.

Bulzeeb

I don't know it this is the rigth thread but here goes nothing, does anyone here wants to trade reccetear and terraria for my humble bundle 6 steam keys (Includes dust force)?

HoosTrax

As big as Steam is for PC Digital Distribution, you can't discount the fact that Amazon is the world's largest online retailer and one of the world's largest internet-based companies. I am sure Amazon has a ton of bargaining power, moreso than Valve.
Yes, well, the thing about Amazon is that they suck at making their own Digital Distribution client. See: Audible client for eBooks, which looks like a throwback to the 1990s. So I don't see this turning into a thing where they eventually get it into their heads to make a Steam client-like interface. For better or worse, they're not going "feed" the profits back into doing any kind of software development of that nature.

All those people picking up XCom will not be disappointed.

Max Payne for $14.99 is a great deal right now.

I picked up Walking Dead. Should I watch some TV shows before playing the game?

The game takes place before (or perhaps even a bit into) the comics, while the TV show is its own thing.

Well, Amazon probably gets a MFN clause . . . which basically tells suppliers that if they provide their goods to any other retailer at a lower price, then they have to provide that same lower price to Amazon too.

kswiston

Yes, well, the thing about Amazon is that they suck at making their own Digital Distribution client. See: Audible client for eBooks, which looks like a throwback to the 1990s. So I don't see this turning into a thing where they eventually get it into their heads to make a Steam client-like interface. For better or worse, they're not going "feed" the profits back into doing any kind of software development of that nature.

They don't need to if they can keep selling Steam keys while undercutting Steam's prices. Trying to create a separate client isn't the way to go anyhow. Too many core PC gamers are locked into Steam's ecosystem, and as is evident about all of the threads bitching about Origin, they don't want any other game clients. If someone was going to successfully challenge Valve and Steam, it would have to be with a client that people already use for non-Steam games, like Battle.net. Even then, it may be too late.

jaaz

I caved and bought Dark Souls: PTD edition for $26. I played Demons Souls and loved it, but never played Dark Souls. I suspect that I am in for a treat?

kswiston

I caved and bought Dark Souls: PTD edition for $26. I played Demons Souls and loved it, but never played Dark Souls. I suspect that I am in for a treat?

Probably. As long as you are OK with the prospect of the game going on Sale for $20 or less in the next day or two on Steam. Nevermind the $15 sale on Amazon tomorrow. You definitely get enough content to justify $26.

PBalfredo

I know Company of Heroes is suppose to be good. Would anyone recommend it for someone who doesn't traditionally like RTS games? Does it contain actual strategy or is it just a multitasking, clicks-per-minute race like Starcraft?

Talyn

Not to where I live :p
Yeah, that would be an issue. I'm just annoyed that I own the Steam version and they never made the Anarchy edition preorder junk available as DLC and I'll be damned if I rebuy the game just for it. (Same issue with Dead Island and its GOTY version.)

Decado

I know Company of Heroes is suppose to be good. Would anyone recommend it for someone who doesn't traditionally like RTS games? Does it contain actual strategy or is it just a multitasking, clicks-per-minute race like Starcraft?

I do not generally care for RTS games (more a fan of turn-based tactical games), but I love Company of Heroes. It's more of a tactical game. There is little base building and you control relatively few units compared to a normal RTS. You can't just spam a horde of minutes and send them off to die.

World in Conflict and Dawn of War 2 (particularly the latter) are in a similar vein. Awesome games.

I may pick up the lot of them again to have them on steam. The boxed copy I have include an endless patching process. lol

HoosTrax

Yes there's actual strategy.

- cover
- suppression mechanic
- vehicles have weaker armor in the back
- pretty sure snipers have longer line of sight when garrisoned inside buildings and firing out the windows

The boxed copy I have include an endless patching process. lol
Oh god I remember that. I think that was the sole reason I double dipped for the Steam version.

Anyone play Company of Heroes off of Steam? Does it have that THQ mandatory account and do you have to be always online to play?

I just want to play single player and thinking about getting the complete pack.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

LogicStep

Binary Domain is $9 on Amazon and is a Steamworks title. I think I'm gonna grab that, don't think it'll go cheaper.

That Of Orc and Men looks really interesting, but only 50% off, HOLD!!

Calidor

Can XCOM get the 75% off treatment? From what I read, the game seems to me like Fire Emblem in space... And I love Fire Emblem

kswiston

Can XCOM get the 75% off treatment? From what I red, the game seems to me like Fire Emblem in space... And I love Fire Emblem

I can't see it being offered for $12.50 until at least next summer. The game just came out, and is selling well. Only 33% off and currently the second best seller behind Max Payne 3 at 75% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom