• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh, i didn't even know there was a sale going on, just started up Steam for the first time in weeks thinking "i better not buy anything..."

bought Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs in like 20 seconds.

edit: WHAT, Max Payne 3 is 30gb?? really? i don't have enough space :/

ShaneB

Well my hypothesis from yesterday was confirmed; the turkey was not dead. That's cool.

However, I am skeptical that Tappet's strategy of hanging on to the turkey to slow his descent is a good one. I'm reading based on scientific research that birds of prey tend to be able to carry around a maximum of one half their weight while flying. Owls can carry a lot more. The turkey, of course, is a dramatically less well suited bird for flying than any kind of bird of prey. Still, we'll be generous. (Live) turkeys weigh around 15-20 pounds on average, so we can assume it can carry with ease 7.5-10 pounds.

Now, I don't know what Tappet weighs and I know it's rude to make assumptions.

During Christmas 2010, Tappet was the reindeer on the Steam Christmas sleigh. Reindeers typically weigh 300 or so pounds. But we can also assume that the sleigh was mini-sized, because we also know that Tappet is around two feet tall based on his relative weight compared to human characters in the Christmas 2011 and Summer 2010 photos. We can guess he's anywhere from 2-3 feet tall. Reindeer are around 6 feet long. Now, Tappet is variously bipedal and not, so it's difficult to do an exact comparison, but we'll sort of say he's around 1/3rd the size of a reindeer. That puts him at 100 pounds.

The odds that the turkey, even in its CLEARLY vigorous flapping, could significantly slow their descent, is very low based on the available data.

Meanwhile CyL is a badass. Where did he even get those shades?

I'm a little late, but I was wondering when I'd read your analysis of their antics. lol

Sleeping dogs was cheaper on GMG this week. Bit the bullet on Dead Island though. Damn, this game feels cheap :lol Hope it's actually decent.

BasilZero

Just bought Darksiders 1 for $4.99.

Got one of the games that I wanted....too bad GTA Collection isnt on sale :(

I am guessing its because Vice City is still unavailable?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Bought Max Payne 3.

Went to install.

30GB install and 31GB free space.

Oh. My. God.

Installing anyway. #yolo

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there some kind of alert system that sends me a message when a game on my wishlist is on sale or something?

If not, there should be.

Fingers crossed for a -75% discount on Skyrim.

Meh. Couldn't care less for the multiplayer component. That, and Amazon charges tax whereas Steam doesn't, so I'm saving about $6.50 not buying it from Amazon. Not bad.
Amazon doesn't charge me tax on digital purchases (in CA) so I can see why some people would be put off, but if I wanted MP3 I'd probably want to get the season pass for $5 as well.

Regarding the guy I quoted, this is still the overall 'cheapest' route since it gives every piece of content at a lower price than anywhere else. Otherwise it's $15 on Amazon and Steam right now.

MNC

Like I said earlier, you can't paypal the money in advance since Paypal keeps two different funds, one in USD and one in BRL.

Well, you can, but we can't use those USD Funds to buy BRL items (like the game, which is sold in our local currency). Also, you can't gift the money to us, so you'd have to send in more money to pay for the paypal tax, or we would get less money than the amount you send (for instance, if you sent me 8 dollars in paypal, I'd get around 6,80).

So I'd have to pay for your game with my money on my CC and we'd have to use the USD funds in paypal for something else (NOT Steam purchases).

Thanks for the clarification; I'd have shouted for some more Brazilians had I not read this post. Well, sucks a bit, but okay.

Is there some kind of alert system that sends me a message when a game on my wishlist is on sale or something?

If not, there should be.

Fingers crossed for a -75% discount on Skyrim.

Bethesda increased the price of skyrim in Europe right before the sale, not sure if they did that elsewhere but keep that in mind if Skyrim goes on sale

cicero

deals on Steam are as good as ever. Only difference is that people own more stuff thus finding them more useless, and that places like GMG and Amazon have caught up, and in certain areas surpassed them in terms of deals of some specific games.

I hate to disagree with you, Milady, but Steam sales have noticeably dropped off quite a bit recently. IMO, it isn't that GMG and Amazon have caught up, they are doing what Steam used to do, Amazon and GMG are willing to sell at a much smaller margin than Steam is.

Either way, Gabe makes money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What are your thoughts as to the state of Sir Roderick Bodkin? Is that a Cthulhu mask he's wearing? Or did the heat from re-entry through the atmosphere do him in, and that is in fact his desiccated skull?

I think it's like, a special effect. Like one of those cool CSI cameras that like zooms inside your skin and shows electricity sparking through your brain. Wasn't there a football game that did this at one point, so you could see bone-breaking tackles?

He's clearly re-entering the atmosphere quite quickly and "burning" (as I understand it, the "burning" effect on re-entry is not the object itself burning, but rather the fall super-heating the gas below the object) but I don't think he's in any danger.

Sora_N

I haven't gotten anything yet, nothing I wanted is at a discount I want.

I'm eyeing for the new CS and Natural Selection 2 to be cheap, lol.

GlassBox

Banned
I'm going to pass on this sale. I've still got an enormous backlog to go through, and there's no doubt the Winter Holiday sale will be as massive as it has always been each year.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I haven't gotten anything yet, nothing I wanted is at a discount I want.

I'm eyeing for the new CS and Natural Selection 2 to be cheap, lol.

So far my patience has paid off big time for some big-time 2012 games.

All of The Walking Dead for $12
Max Payne 3 for $15

Dark Souls tomorrow from Amazon or Steam (I have a feeling Steam will price match) for $15

Most I've spent during a sale in a long time.

legacyzero

Banned
Tempted by Max Payne 3 because of my new PC. Played it on 360 and thought it was "...meh OK."

It was the Live Free or Die Hard of the Max Payne games. It just wasn't the same...

I might just wait till Christmas.

MNC

So annoying. I want to buy RAGE; if I get an American to gift it to me, I pay 4,22€ thanks to paypal fees. If I buy it myself, I pay 4,99€. I somehow can't get over the purchase with 4,99... Fucking psychological shit man.

snack

So annoying. I want to buy RAGE; if I get an American to gift it to me, I pay 4,22€ thanks to paypal fees. If I buy it myself, I pay 4,99€. I somehow can't get over the purchase with 4,99... Fucking psychological shit man.
77 cents man...

But yeah I understand!

I hate to disagree with you, Milady, but Steam sales have noticeably dropped off quite a bit recently. IMO, it isn't that GMG and Amazon have caught up, they are doing what Steam used to do, Amazon and GMG are willing to sell at a much smaller margin than Steam is.

Either way, Gabe makes money.

I think Amazon and GMG definitely have better deals on a few odd big games, but Steam still has them beat on volume and especially indie games.

I'd agree that Steam has gotten a smidgen worse with its discounts, but I'd chalk it up to them maturing as a service (so no more awesome missteps like putting Recettear in a $5 bundle with four other games right after it came out).

And I think the overall quality of content has gone up as well -- the indie games list this sale is full of pretty high-quality games, whereas in the past there was a lot more filler packed in with the gems.

therapist

Sleeping dogs was cheaper on GMG this week. Bit the bullet on Dead Island though. Damn, this game feels cheap :lol Hope it's actually decent.

Dead island is awesome , make sure to go get some graphics mods though theres a tool somewhere.

Love that game , if you liked borderlands youll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom