• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Pulled the trigger on the Hotline Miami GF deal but they can't get me my key nevermind. If Steam has a flash or daily deal it's likely I'll have only wasted 99 cents.

coopolon

For people who run Steam with SSDs, do you run it off the SSD or another HDD and just install games on the SSD? Curious if I'll see much benefit from installing Steam to SSD.

kswiston

Dear Activision,

$30 for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is too much for the majority of PC gamers that already skipped the game at launch. You can confirm this fact yourself by observing that your game is being outsold by Farm Simulator 2013. Please try harder next sale.

Sincerely,

Steam Gamers

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dear Activision,

$30 for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is too much for the majority of PC gamers that already skipped the game at launch. You can confirm this fact yourself by observing that your game is being outsold by Farm Simulator 2013. Please try harder next sale.

Sincerely,

Steam Gamers

Between this and the fact that they don't release their games digitally on consoles, I'm just going to guess Activision hates DD-only gamers.

HoosTrax

For people who run Steam with SSDs, do you run it off the SSD or another HDD and just install games on the SSD? Curious if I'll see much benefit from installing Steam to SSD.
I install Steam on my 2TB HDD and symlink just the games I'm currently playing onto my SSD.

Caerith

I installed Steam on my 128 GB SSD then use Steam Mover to move stuff I'm not currently playing to my HDD.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I install Steam on my 2TB HDD and symlink just the games I'm currently playing onto my SSD.

Also worth noting is that Source-based games will require a more hands-on approach due to the shared GFCs that reside in the root of the steamapps folder (utilities such as Steam Tool and Steam Mover, and even Steam's new CDS were designed to work with folders rather than individual files). I've detailed the process here.

I installed Steam on my 128 GB SSD then use Steam Mover to move stuff I'm not currently playing to my HDD.

You don't need Steam Mover anymore, the latest Steam BETA lets you install Steam games on multiple drives now. I have my Steam library spread across 2 SSDs and a WD Caviar Black.

I've only spent $20 so far... $15 for dark souls and $5 for kotor 2. Not sure what else I want tbh. Maybe hotline miami & castle crashers off the top of my head.

Torraz

I've only spent $20 so far... $15 for dark souls and $5 for kotor 2. Not sure what else I want tbh. Maybe hotline miami & castle crashers off the top of my head.

12,50 for walking dead.

I'm keeping my eyes out for hotline miami, orcs must die 2, ys origins and mark of the ninja.

Dear Activision,

Sincerely,

Steam Gamers

Activision is the least likely company to offer a serious discount on any game. Bloodlines The Masquerade was still $20 in 2011.

kswiston

Activision is the least likely company to offer a serious discount on any game. Bloodlines The Masquerade was still $20 in 2011.

True, but outside of maybe Call of Duty, it makes no sense. Even with Call of Duty, everything before Modern Warfare 2 (and hell, even that) should be $5 on sale at this point. Ubisoft does it right for annual releases with Assassin's creed. Slight discounts on the newest title, decent discount on last year's title, and $5 for everything else.

JaseC

Especially if you live in Australia and happen to enjoy Call of Duty!

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: $50
Call of Duty: World at War: $40 (What?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: $90
Call of Duty: Black Ops: $90
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: $100 (Crikey!)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: $90 (Again, what? Why is a more recent release more expensive than a previous entry?)

Caerith

Well, as for least likely company to offer a serious discount: 38 Studios. Acti has at least discounted Bloodlines a few times since then. I'd expect more from them than I would from Capcom.

cicero

I think that's naive wishful thinking on your part. The exact reason that Valve allows Steamworks titles sold through other channels, that they see 0% of the sale , is exactly why other companies would see it in their best interest not to carry Steamworks titles. Valve only does it because it helps them grow their customer base. Every game sold on STeam is a potential sale for Amazon. That's just business. You really think that AmazonTony is working together with publishers just to help you and Valve? Come on man. At this point they are at the stage where they are trying to grow their customer base of PC DD to Steam levels. When they feel they've done that enough they will make their move.
I never implied that Amazon and Tony were specifically "working together with publishers just to help you and Valve". But is Amazon bringing out a Steam-esque client to compete directly with Steam now? You haven't seemed to take into account the possibility that Amazon is happy with doing what they are doing right now, which is grow their OWN base of customers who regularly check their site for deals, while they invest a relatively small amount into making themselves into a preferred middleman for digital games because they are willing to buy in bulk and sell at a smaller margin.

Amazon didn't move towards DRM Free versions out of a sense of benevolent altruism, they started working with Publishers because of specific direct feedback from their customers, or people who would be customers if not for the intrusive DRM. This is exactly what they did with Steam activating versions of games. Tony gets constant never-ending questions about Steam versions, he pushes the issue to Publishers, because he is working for Amazon who are trying to drive more sales, and the Publishers respond to increased interest. If/When Amazon actually starts moving into a larger more competitive rival type position with Steam, I think we will actually see it with some kind of Amazon client that copies Steam.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Especially if you live in Australia and happen to enjoy Call of Duty!

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: $50
Call of Duty: World at War: $40 (What?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: $90
Call of Duty: Black Ops: $90
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: $100 (Crikey!)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: $90 (Again, what?)

I'm not a CoD fan, but I do have a question about it:

Which one of these has the "best" Zombie Mode? "best" as in, which version of the game has all the game modes and gameplay features from previous versions?

I know Zombie Mode was a treyarch thing and Infinity Ward didn't add it to their games, right?. I also remember hearing something about how Zombie Mode wasn't in Black Ops 2, or there was another game mode that was supposed to take it's place or something like that

JaseC

Which one of these has the "best" Zombie Mode? "best" as in, which version of the game has all the game modes and gameplay features from previous versions?

I know Zombie Mode was a treyarch thing and Infinity Ward didn't add it to their games, right?. I also remember hearing something about how Zombie Mode wasn't in Black Ops 2, or there was another game mode that was supposed to take it's place or something like that

All I can offer is that Black Ops 2 does indeed have a Zombies mode.

What are the chances that Assassin's Creed III will go on sale? (even it's something small like 15%)

It released just the other day, so don't expect any discount. However, Revelations was discounted by 25% during the Christmas/Winter Sale, so AC3 may very well follow suit.

Amzin

Do you have to use a fake UK billing address for orders outside of the UK on Gamefly?

I think so. I tried to order it on the Gamefly UK site, and when I put in my real billing address it took the game out of my cart. I can't use a fake one though because then my card won't go through :l

Caerith

Paradox Seas Bundle: $9.99
  • Commander: Conquest of Americas - Colonial Navy
  • Commander: Conquest of Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove - Origins DLC
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Ship Simulator Extreme
  • Victoria II
  • Victoria II - A House Divided
How are the games in this package? I've been wanting to try something age-of-sail or piratey for a while now but can't tell if all of the above are any good or utter crap.

JaseC

In my experience, Gamefly is very anal about international orders. I tried ordering a Lego game about a month or so ago and used a fake US address (Google's HQ, as always). After the order was submitted, the auto-reply stated that it would need to be manually verified, so I decided to take the initiative, informing Gamefly that while my nominated billing address was fake, the order itself was indeed legit as I was an international customer. Some hours later, I received a response from a CSR saying my order had been cancelled due to "inconsistencies", and when I visited the website a notification informed me of my account being banned.

Detox

Zombies mode is shit, don't even contemplate buying COD for that. You're better off downloading custom campaigns for l4d

In my experience, Gamefly is very anal about international orders. I tried ordering a Lego game about a month or so ago and used a fake US address (Google's HQ, as always). After the order was submitted, the auto-reply stated that it would need to be manually verified, so I decided to take the initiative, informing Gamefly that while my nominated billing address was fake, the order itself was indeed legit as I was an international customer. Some hours later, I received a response from a CSR saying my order had been cancelled due to "inconsistencies", and when I visited the website a notification informed me of my account being banned.

They are fucking idiots in the european store though. Its stupid, and insulting, that all the european countries are there except Spain.
Fuck them in the ass then.
If someone finds skyrim in europe for 10 euros that its not shitty gamefly, put it here please. I have it in a gametop link a download for 14, but with 4 euros more im still in the fence about it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I don't know if it already got mentioned, but you can get Civilization V - GOTY + Gods and Kings for £10 / €12 / $15

here (get game go)

Spec Ops: The Line and Warhammer 40.000 - Space Marine are also available

BadAss2961

I'm liking Max Payne 3 early on. I like how they didn't change the gameplay at all really, just modernized it a bit with adding cover, improved interactions with surroundings, and hidden clues & items to find.

The mood and atmosphere of the original games isn't quite there, but that was expected.

Quick heads up... I'm only doing the Critter Crunch GAF promotion (PM me if you bought the game during the Autumn sale and I'll toss you a second copy free) for the next couple hours.

After that I am AFK all weekend, so no more codes!

Thanks for all the support so far GAF, y'all have been great.

cicero

How are the games in this package? I've been wanting to try something age-of-sail or piratey for a while now but can't tell if all of the above are any good or utter crap.

I was looking at that bundle for: Naval War: Arctic Circle, reviews here and here. The East India Company DLC I didn't get with the main game in that groupees indie bundle, and Victoria II and DLC. Not sure about the others though.

Personally, I went with the Paradox War Chest for $7.49 instead. It seemed like a better deal to me, plus it had Victoria II and the DLC.

• Paradox War Chest - $7.49 Contains:

• Victoria Franchise
      [*]Hearts of Iron III Collection
      [*]King Arthur Collection
      [*]King Arthur II

[*]Achtung Panzer 1943
      [*]Gettysburg Armored Warfare

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that the "Victoria Franchise" originally part of this bundle has been changed to just Victoria II and Victoria II: A House Divided - Expansion. Also, the Hearts of Iron III Collection does NOT have the new DLC recently released a couple of months ago. Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour, Hearts of Iron 3: Sounds of Conflict, and Hearts of Iron III: US Infantry Spritepack.

Any Russian GAF-bros looking to help with gifting these? I can paypal you the cost + a little extra for your troubles.
I don't think its worth the risk to VPN them on my own with the new steam rules, right guys?
iPbJkTCwv9SvP.png

idYLuYVzo7iDC.png

I'm surprised I haven't seen more Russian GAFers taking advantage of this stuff.
iwZxuSZiClCAr.png

kswiston

People were mentioning Dishonored for $19 involving some IGN code, how do I get said IGN code?

You need to be an IGN Prime member. Price is actually closer to $20 when converted, but still the best price you can get without being from the UK and going through GMG.

If you don't have a Prime account and want the game for $20, I can buy it for you and gift it.

1-D_FTW

Any Russian GAF-bros looking to help with gifting these? I can paypal you the cost + a little extra for your troubles.
I don't think its worth the risk to VPN them on my own with the new steam rules, right guys?

I'm surprised I haven't seen more Russian GAFers taking advantage of this stuff.

Since when did Paypal let you deal with Russia? I thought this was always the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom