• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
I suppose it's
bad rats

77xJCKg.gif

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I played Spelunky for about an hour and only made it past the first 4 levels (out of the mines) once, and I didn't have a spare bomb to open the tunnel.

So after almost an hour of playing I've got exactly nowhere. I like hard platformers but the random nature of this game lends itself to "oh you fell and died and there wasn't anything else you could have done about it" much more than Rogue Legacy's "Oh you died and there was nothing you could do about it this time, but now you have more powerful gear and upgrades so next time it won't happen.

I guess I'm just not a huge fan of hardcore roguelikes.

That is all fair enough, but it doesn't make the game awful. At what it attempts to do it succeeds brilliantly.

mannerbot

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I played Spelunky for about an hour and only made it past the first 4 levels (out of the mines) once, and I didn't have a spare bomb to open the tunnel.

So after almost an hour of playing I've got exactly nowhere. I like hard platformers but the random nature of this game lends itself to "oh you fell and died and there wasn't anything else you could have done about it" much more than Rogue Legacy's "Oh you died and there was nothing you could do about it this time, but now you have more powerful gear and upgrades so next time it won't happen.

This is so, so very wrong. In the vast majority of situations if you die it's your own fault. And yeah, this basically confirms my suspicions about why Rogue Legacy is so popular when it's so deeply flawed in gameplay design. There are certainly lucky and unlucky seeds in Spelunky, but by and large it's the player's skill that determines the outcome of a Spelunky run. The exact same run that ends in an "unfair" death for a new player is a winnable one for a veteran, and most likely that "unfair" death could have been easily avoided.

It's also a bit silly to make that assessment of Spelunky after only one hour of play, when you hardly know anything about the game. But sure, I guess if grinding and unlocking stuff as an artificial measure of progress is your thing, I could see how you might prefer Rogue Legacy. Rogue Legacy doles out upgrades and unlocks to make it progressively easier the longer you play, and also means that a new player must grind for hours just to get on even footing with people who've played before. That's just incredibly backwards. Spelunky is perfectly balanced from the very start and, no, you don't have an HP bar or armor or double dashes to show how much you've played -- your progress solely depends on how good you've gotten at the game. That's the way it should be.

I just looked up State of Decay and the game sounds great. It sounds like the zombie open world game that everyone has wanted for a long time.

I looked up a few reviews and it seems it's only problem is the learning curve, a few combat issues, and bugs/glitches.

I might buy it next sale when it may be a bit lower. Lots of people already mentioned that it'll be riled with DLC in no time so it's best to wait for a full edition first.

Man Spelunky is awful. I much prefer Rogue Legacy over that game so far, as grindy as it is.
Scrub.

Spelunky isn't so much about making progress in the traditional sense, it's not that you got nowhere, you're learning the mines and getting accustomed to the systems of the game. Your example demonstrates your lack of experience in the game, in that while there is a lot of randomness to Spelunky -- namely the generated layouts, enemy and trap placements -- your downfalls are incredibly rarely unfair. Deaths that you might be finding out of your control were very likely within your ability to know of beforehand.

It's about as pure video game as you get. Not one for content tourists, as trying to play the game to just beat it and be done with it kind of misses the point. There really is no end to it. Once you get over the hump of seeing it as a thing that you need to linearly progress through and more as an honest to goodness game to play, you might have a lot more enjoyment with it.

Stet

Banned

The reward for dying in Spelunky is getting to start over and get new items and get better at the game.

Derrick01

Banned
There's lots of dying in the beginning.

That's my experience with both games :lol

I like the randomness of RL more and how there's a lot more options, both good and bad, that could be waiting in each new room. It's sort of exciting in a way to see what is going to happen. With Spelunky it seems like everything is just currency or points. The upgrade tree in RL offers some versatility to the game as well.

Kanokare

amazon killing steam these days. and the games activate on steam so amazon r true badasses

They also try to price match everything Steam is selling so it's pretty much Steam sales + more! I think Amazon is a little under rated right now for those that are able to buy from Amazon.

KarmaCow

Wait what, Payday 2 is 24GB on the harddrive according the Steam downloading prompt, but the actual download is only 6.7GB? That's some serious compression compared to most games unless I missing something here.

Tesseract

Banned
i ain't buying, only listing.

maybe...

actually scratch that don't buy it, apologies for posting. the community hub is dead and the pc netcode is apparently fubar'd.

onionfrog

As much as I'm one of the few that still enjoys SFxT, I don't know what their plan is with GFWL as the game uses it still.
This also worries me.

I'm hoping we'll see AE hit a similar pricepoint at some point during the sale. I missed the sale for AE a few months back.

FloatOn

This is so, so very wrong. In the vast majority of situations if you die it's your own fault. And yeah, this basically confirms my suspicions about why Rogue Legacy is so popular when it's so deeply flawed in gameplay design. There are certainly lucky and unlucky seeds in Spelunky, but by and large it's the player's skill that determines the outcome of a Spelunky run. The exact same run that ends in an "unfair" death for a new player is a winnable one for a veteran, and most likely that "unfair" death could have been easily avoided.

It's also a bit silly to make that assessment of Spelunky after only one hour of play, when you hardly know anything about the game. But sure, I guess if grinding and unlocking stuff as an artificial measure of progress is your thing, I could see how you might prefer Rogue Legacy. Rogue Legacy doles out upgrades and unlocks to make it progressively easier the longer you play, and also means that a new player must grind for hours just to get on even footing with people who've played before. That's just incredibly backwards. Spelunky is perfectly balanced from the very start and, no, you don't have an HP bar or armor or double dashes to show how much you've played -- your progress solely depends on how good you've gotten at the game. That's the way it should be.

Post of the thread right here. I agree with this 100%

I'll also add that I really appreciate the fact that there are layers that are not immediately obvious but once it all begins to come together it really is pretty incredible what the game accomplishes: random level generation without poor design

It's why once you are good enough you can beat the entire game in 10 minutes. Getting that good though... I'm not sure how many hours it will take me to get to this skill level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fooVdqf7ZZM

This game is the opposite of the bullshit platformers like super meat boy that force you down one linear path that you have to be of the utmost reflex precision to succeed. In Spelunky you have the freedom to carve your own path and be as slow and methodical as you wish.

There isn't anything wrong with a progression system either. In the end I will probably spend about the same amount of time with Rogue Legacy as with Spelunky, ~20 hours each or so, right now I'm having way more fun with Rogue Legacy though.

Nope. The only real random thing is the level generation itself. If you died its almost always because YOU made a mistake.

Very VERY rarely will the game screw you over.

The problem is you are playing it like a platformer but aside from space traversal it really isnt a platformer. More than where you are jumping its whats around you thats important. Learn to watch the periphery instead just of where you are about to land and you will become really good at the game really fast. Its a game that rewards observation way more than gamepad dexterity.

kulapik

I was going to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2, but then I saw Bethesda is finally on Amazon, so Skyrim is back on offer. Someone could buy it for me? I'll pay 3 key 4 ref.

EDIT: Nah, never mind, I'll wait to see what are tomorrow's deals.

Accoun

Got it to load once, but the registration button didn't work, like it was just an image. :/

It's VERY slow. It has to "check" the e-mail and username first, which takes a good few minutes by itself now. then it has to load afterwards.

So, yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom