• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum

I'm really enjoying this sale so far.

Unfortunately I tend to buy games new(ish) and so I never really get great deals on the aaa games, but I've been keeping a steam wishlist and have picked up some of the smaller games I've been watching forever.

that said, I think I might be hitting buy much faster this year. I wonder if I should hold out on some of these for the winter sale.

mannerbot

There isn't anything wrong with a progression system either. In the end I will probably spend about the same amount of time with Rogue Legacy as with Spelunky, ~20 hours each or so, right now I'm having way more fun with Rogue Legacy though.

My issue with the unlocks and other stuff you grind for in Rogue Legacy is that, like I said, I consider it a completely artificial progression system. You're not actually getting better at the game, the game is getting easier and handing out consolation prizes because you can't beat it. But yeah, I just really hate that aspect of it (others may certainly see it differently) and I resent having to needlessly grind at the start of a game just to feel like I even have a chance as a new player. In Spelunky, the player is the one leveling up, and that's infinitely more satisfying to me.

My issue with the unlocks and other stuff you grind for in Rogue Legacy is that, like I said, I consider it a completely artificial progression system. You're not actually getting better at the game, the game is getting easier and handing out consolation prizes because you can't beat it. But yeah, I just really hate that aspect of it (others may certainly see it differently) and I resent having to needlessly grind at the start of a game just to feel like I even have a chance as a new player. In Spelunky, the player is the one leveling up, and that's infinitely more satisfying to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd crown Spelunky the better game for sure, but Rogue Legacy is some grade A fun.

JSoup

Banned
It's VERY slow. It has to "check" the e-mail and username first, which takes a good few minutes by itself now. then it has to load afterwards.

So, yeah...

Oh! Well. Now that it's loaded again, I'll fill it out and let it sit for a bit.

omg_mjd

I passed up on Rogue Legacy when it was a Daily. I was trying to decide to get that vs. La-Mulana. In the end I couldn't make up my mind.

So before the flash sale ends: Spelunky vs La-Mulana ($3)?

Keikaku

I passed up on Rogue Legacy when it was a Daily. I was trying to decide to get that vs. La-Mulana. In the end I couldn't make up my mind.

Spelunky is a better game. La-Mulana is good but it's got some bullshit puzzles that will make you gnash your teeth, the design is not as tight IMO and I don't think it's as fun.

I think it does, so long as you bought it from Steam....not entirely sure though...

If you bought the game from Steam, it disappears from your wishlist as expected.
If you bought it elsewhere and activated it on Steam, it stays in your wishlist until you remove it.

Weird behavior, but maybe it's because the retail keys are considered different from Steam purchases.

you cant get both?
La Mulana will be 2.99 till the 3rd
Spelunky sale goes bye bye in an hour

FloatOn

How is the combat in Witcher 2? Is it auto attack like the original?

I haven't played the original but the combat in Witcher 2 is kind of what I'd imagine Assassins Creed would be like if it was good. You have a light attack, heavy attack, block, roll, magic and throwing weapon buttons

For it not being physics based like Dark Souls it's actually pretty satisfying.

Jørdan

I've had my registration tab open for a bit now. Guess the button to confirm registration will just light up when it's finally ready, yeah?

Button wasn't accessible to me either so I used the Facebook login at the top which registered me and it sent the key email.

It depends on what you want. Spelunky is basically a roguelike adapted into intense 2d platofrmer form, so there's always something new, and survival is challenging. In La-Mulana, despite some tough bosses, most of the the challenge comes from complex puzzles. They are some of the best puzzles I've ever seen in games, and most are quite logical, but still serious head scratchers. That said, it's a very open game and with puzzles in almost every room, theres never a shortage of things to do. Unlike Spelunky, La-Mulana is a completely hand-crafted experience, so every moment was planned in advance.

I personally prefer the hardcore metroidvania style of La-Mulana over the sidescrolling nethack/pitfall of spelunky, but they are really, really different games, and both are great.

omg_mjd

you cant get both?
La Mulana will be 2.99 till the 3rd
Spelunky sale goes bye bye in an hour

It's more a time thing since I can't play both at the same time and my Steam backlog makes me sick so I'm trying not to add to it if possible. :p

The whole 2D Dark Souls angle on La-Mulana is really intriguing me. How does the game handle death? Checkpoints?

It's more a time thing since I can't play both at the same time and my Steam backlog makes me sick so I'm trying not to add to it if possible. :p

The whole 2D Dark Souls angle on La-Mulana is really intriguing me. How does the game handle death? Checkpoints?

just accept youll never finish your Steam backlog and buy whatever you want
once you have a Steam Backlog you can never go back anyways

Spelunky if you want something more immediatedly accessible. La-Mulana is still a good game, but it's fairly obscure in terms of progression.

Don't mistake this for Spelunky holding your hand by the way; it doesn't.

Save Points. La Mulana is a good game to go through once. I haven't played Spelunky (or brought it yet for that matter), The replayability is much higher in Spelunky.

Nabs

It's not a 2D Dark Souls. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom