• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'd say they don't know about Enhanced Steam, but they obviously do. :)

Also re: Spelunky. I didn't mean to imply with my earlier oft-repeated statements that it makes it an awful game, it just isn't one I care for. Despite what a multitude of people have stated, I feel that the game was brutally unfair in it's dungeon creation during my hour-long tour. Maybe it gets better - I understand the meaning of "random" and sometimes that means that these things happen. I'll admit I died a large number of times from not knowing what I was doing or understanding the controls, too. Overall this just isn't my cup of tea.

Also re: Spelunky. I didn't mean to imply with my earlier oft-repeated statements that it makes it an awful game, it just isn't one I care for. Despite what a multitude of people have stated, I feel that the game was brutally unfair in it's dungeon creation during my hour-long tour. Maybe it gets better - I understand the meaning of "random" and sometimes that means that these things happen. I'll admit I died a large number of times from not knowing what I was doing or understanding the controls, too. Overall this just isn't my cup of tea.

The thing with Spelunky is it gets better the more you play ... but it doesn't actually change at all. I can see where you are coming from, to begin with I wasn't really "feeling it" and much preferred the instant fun of Rogue legacy. But I persisted and I'm glad I did.

It really is a case of the more you put into it, the longer you survive and the more you discover. I do agree there is a bit of a hump to get over before it all starts to click. For me it was unlocking the first tunnel and discovering the
worm tunnel thing
. That made me start to think "hmm, what else is there to be found?" turns out there is quite a lot.

I managed to get another one, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. The first key I got was fine though, so. . .
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-9748120DE5C34697 - Taken by Accoun

Holy crap, Van Helsing is a 9.2 gb download with the dlc....

jimi.gif

Tellaerin

Isn't that true about every game?

But with Spelunky, it's more like trying to 1CC a shmup. It's "how far can I get this time before I die?" You may not be memorizing specific enemy patterns on each stage like you would in a shmup, but you're learning what each enemy/weapon/object does and how best to use/deal with it. Like playing a shmup the "right" way (that is, not credit-feeding your way to the end), it's all about starting over from the beginning repeatedly, honing your skills and progressing further each time until you reach the end.

(And I think I just sold myself on the commercial version of Spelunky. Dammit...)

If I only buy one, should I get Far Cry 3 or Dishonored?

My only experience of Far Cry 3 is with Blood Dragon (which I enjoyed) but you can't go wrong with Dishonored. There are some extremely diverse playstyles within the game and, as a result, you can set your own pace through it. Quoting myself from a previous thread:

Dishonored is a very 'open', replayable game. The level design is magnificent (although, I will be honest that there are sections later in the game that I do quite dislike) as it allows for a plethora of approaches to each mission and no playstyle is discouraged. If you want to sneak through the game without upgrading/purchasing any powers and/or killing any enemy, you can. Alternatively if you wish to buy as much lethal items and powers as you can to slaughter your way through the game it is entirely possible and while the game will alter depending on your hostility it never feels as if the developer is trying to discourage you from playing as you wish. In the beginning it feels slightly clumsy to effectively use all that is at your disposal but by the end of the game you will be effortlessly navigating the environment. Some may comment that you end up overpowered or that the power 'Blink' trivialises the game and, to some extent, it is true due to the lower power consumption but I don't belive that it detracts from how enjoyable the game is. While I felt the atmosphere, world building and storyline was lacking personally I can certainly recognise the amount of detail that was included. I thought it was quite a unique game; it's not without its problems, but very enjoyable.

I'd have no qualms recommending it provided you know going in that it isn't 'perfect' but is an enjoyable, fun game. I don't know how the PC version is but I've never heard any complaints so I imagine it's up-to-standard.

Forkball

Got CSGO. I played the Beta and enjoyed it, but didn't dedicate myself to the full game. But it seems like the playerbase has grown quite a bit since launch so why not. I'm a bit disappointed that the Dishonored DLC isn't on sale, though $5 for the main game is an incredible deal.

fantomena

Seems like Shadow Warrior flash deal is not live yet. It's been 50% all this time and it does not say "Flash deal expires in ....." like the other flash deals.

denx

Ok, prices updated.

Still there isn't anything here for me. Dragon Commander and Shadow Warrior need bigger price cuts, and I'll have to say nope to LA Noire since I'm trying to save my Steambucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom