• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHadow Warrior deal has been replaced with War Z.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEEEEE!!!!!!

marilyn-monroe-yuck-.gif

Caerith

Not really no. Most games these days will rarely surprise you with something you took the time to find yourself. Nor do they make much demand of skill right from the start.
Define "most." And my question was not so much about the chock-full-of-secrets-ness of games but about the stick-with-it-and-improve-ness of games.

But with Spelunky, it's more like trying to 1CC a shmup. It's "how far can I get this time before I die?" You may not be memorizing specific enemy patterns on each stage like you would in a shmup, but you're learning what each enemy/weapon/object does and how best to use/deal with it. Like playing a shmup the "right" way (that is, not credit-feeding your way to the end), it's all about starting over from the beginning repeatedly, honing your skills and progressing further each time until you reach the end.

(And I think I just sold myself on the commercial version of Spelunky. Dammit...)
That's a fair description, and also an illustration of why some prefer Rogue Legacy over Spelunky. In Spelunky, you die and you start over, but the levels are slightly different. In Rogue Legacy, you die and you start over, but the levels are slightly different and so is your character. In either game, the player is still going to continue to improve their skills and play more effectively, but in the end the difference is that an expert Rogue Legacy player can beat the game in one life but an expert Spelunky player is forced to.

mrgone

SHadow Warrior deal has been replaced with War Z.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEEEEE!!!!!!

This is literally cyberbullying on Valve's part.

"Cyberbullying is the use of Information Technology to harm or harass other people in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner." -wikipedia

Define "most." And my question was not so much about the chock-full-of-secrets-ness of games but about the stick-with-it-and-improve-ness of games.

The typical game will start easy and slowly introduce new mechanics until the point where everything is revealed and you are free to play the game. At this point you are "trained" in everything that can be thrown at you and you just have to keep doing it over and over until the game ends.

This applies to a lot of modern games. Your ACs, Batmans, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raiders, whatever. There is no real hump to get over, you don't need to start with skills or struggle to develop them and you are always making progress. I believe this category of games covers "most".

In spelunky or a game like Dark Souls you will fail over and over until you start to "get it". At this point you finally start to make progress.

Does that make no sense or do you still disagree?

Tellaerin

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why the fuck does Valve keep selling Infestation Stories?

Seriously, this is the scummiest thing they've done and they keep doing it.

So real talk. I know War Z was all sorts of wrong when it came out.

But what has happened since then? Have they patched/supported it? Is there any fun to be had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom