• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
on the usbject of controllers: in platformers does anyone use the analogue stick instead of the DPAD?? Played FEZ recently and for some reason i felt the analogie stick was better than the DPAD (ps3 controller on PC)

Dpad is always better for 2d platformers imo, but some games do feel better on analog can't deny that. 98% are better on dpad though.

Haunted

on the usbject of controllers: in platformers does anyone use the analogue stick instead of the DPAD?? Played FEZ recently and for some reason i felt the analogie stick was better than the DPAD (ps3 controller on PC)
When dpad and sticks have the same use, I always use the analogues. Haven't used a dpad for primary movement since the SNES days.

I'm sure there are a handful of exceptions, (menu based games with bad stick deadzone setups maybe?) but I can't recall too many.

Nabs

I use the analog stick for pretty much every platformer I play. Dustforce, Volgarr, SMB, Donkey Kong Country Returns... Yeah. It'll probably stay like this until I get something that matches the SNES pad.

Tehalemi

Got Outlast, Antichamber, Binding of Issac w/ DLC, and Rochard w/DLC last night.

I feel like I've made good choices so far based on recommendations here having never played them before, let's see what the rest of the sale brings. :p

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping like hell I don't miss Spelunky before the sale ends. Stupid payroll issues have tripped up my Autumn Sale plannings. =/

Im_Special

I had a look in my directory for them, I don't have 10mil, but I couldn't find them. The icons show up on the client but when I try to place a shortcut on the desktop the icons are just blank white rectangles for Triple Town and Sanctum TD. Strangely enough the icons for other games that have an icon in the directory display fine in shortcuts. Maybe something is different with those 3 games. Are they stored somewhere else maybe?

Thanks for trying to help, it seems like these games might just be bugged on Valves end then? Do others have this problem, do others get missing icons like this.

dSb5P9e.png

feel

Just spent a couple of hours driving big trucks with goods across European countrysides. This shouldn't be any fun but..

Khronico

Sell me on it. I keep hearing people mention it but I don't know why. It seems like some old dated dungeon crawlers to me. Are they still enjoyable?

They're old, dated, hard as nails, incredibly deep, incredibly long dungeon crawlers. Do you think that sounds good? Then buy them.

okayfrog

Banned
I have yet to break down and purchase Assassin's Creed IV on Amazon, but I'm just about there.

I know there isn't too much of a focus on present day activities, but someone please tell me whether or not there are wacky twists and at least some focus on present day shit with weird wacky alien hijinx. If there is, I'mma purchase this. Ugh, so close.

Sorry I took forever to reply, I was at a ballet.
It was. :-(
What to do in such situation BTW? Nuke it or whatever?
Uh, I think so? I've never had to nuke a giveaway before though, so I'd have to go check the modbot thread to see how to do it.
Is that website finally working? Someone over on Reddit posted a link to DHL so everyone was trying to sing up at a shipping logistics company to get that game...lol
It was working on and off for me. I signed up with my email and got a working key, and also signed up with my facebook and got that duplicate key. I may or may not try with my other emails.

Depends. If you are coming off playing FF13 it isn't too bad.

oh boy are you in for a treat...

Joke post, right?

I trying to think of the nicest way as possible to break it to you.

The tutorial and hand holding will end eventually!

This should be very interesting to see then. I don't know how Assassin's Creed 3 can mess up to FF13 levels of slow paced.

jwtsonga

just had a thought: This steam sale is not that good because they will blow us away in a few weeks time during the next sale!!!!!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I took your guy's advice and gave Spelunky another try. I know I'll catch shit for saying this, but the game just isn't for me. I finally got to the end of the first world and had a bomb left over so I gave it to the tunnel guy and... nothing. I died in world two and when I started my next playthrough, there was no tunnel. No shortcut. No progress.

I feel like I gave it more of my time than should be required to start being fun, 3 hours.

I'm not saying the game is bad, because I can see the appeal. It's just not for me.

So I took your guy's advice and gave Spelunky another try. I know I'll catch shit for saying this, but the game just isn't for me. I finally got to the end of the first world and had a bomb left over so I gave it to the tunnel guy and... nothing. I died in world two and when I started my next playthrough, there was no tunnel. No shortcut. No progress.

I feel like I gave it more of my time than should be required to start being fun, 3 hours.

I'm not saying the game is bad, because I can see the appeal. It's just not for me.

You need to get to the tunnel man three times to open a shortcut for each world. If you're getting better you're making progress. Progress isn't made in a linear way. I've personally never beaten the game, and I'm not that good at it, the fun is just in learning how these seemingly random combinations of platform enemies/structures combine into a chaotic yet survivable whole.

You have to do several odds and ends for a shortcut, which means reaching the end of the level several times.

And yeah, if you need some kind of arbitrary gameplay element to signify that you've made 'progression' then Spelunky is not for you.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
All this talk about Rogue Legacy for and against, I'm happy for it.

I will say as someone who has played it, but loves rogue likes and old home computer platformers that inspired Spelunky, La-Mulana, and so forth, it intrigues me that is what they are being compared to as that's not what I got out of it.

I would describe Rogue Legacy in two different ways, and please note that both are positive.

1. Rogue Legacy is an action platformer in the style of Facebook/web browser/mobile device click to get more clicks. By which I mean like you farm so you can build a bigger farm in Farmville, you make cookies so you can make more in Cookie Clicker, you dig and find fossiles so you can dig some more in Super Motherlode/SteamWorld Dig (one of my favourite handheld games), and so forth.
Rogue Legacy is a title where you keep fighting enemies, find items, do various little extra tricks (take no damage, don't face the treasure chest before opening it, get across a row of spikes using flying runes if you have them) etc, and so forth so that you can do all that some more. Aye it's not like Spelunky or Endless Mode in Mega Man 9, but it's not trying to be as such. It's built around someone who can play as little or as much as they want and still get somewhere, even if it's not to the end.

2. Rogue Legacy is a game designed around the idea of punishing death, easy loses, showcase to develop skills or picking the right equipment, without actually cruel or mean or any such thing that would put people off. It's the rogue like to get people who might not otherwise play it, to get used to it and perhaps even enjoy it in the same vien that Pokemon Rangers or Chocobo Mystery Dungeon has done so. It's no worse than Pokémon Conquest being the easy and welcoming version of Nobunaga's Ambition.

It is easy to focus only on the "grind", but that's when it comes to the point it's not working for you. Ggrind being forced levelling up or acquiring of items/abilities just to match up with difficulty of a area or set moment to succeed in my personal definition. If I level up exploring a RPG world and I'm at the "right level" and never notice, it wasn't a grind to me.

By no means is it a game for everyone and I fully understand any complaints again, the comparisons for as I think about them, but in my mind it's just not something I would do. If I want Ghosts And Goblins to be more like Castlevania from the DS, what exactly am I actually looking for? I can go back and play Mario and Dizzy or other ZX Spectrum platformers, but I'll be doing so for different platforming experiences.

Now all that said? There is skill and improvement sought after in Rogue Legacy. You get a lot more out of the game by becoming good with that floating rune or double jump, there are segments (ignoring the time stop magic) where not getting damaged requires knowing how to play the game well, aspects where you can fight the same enemy numerous times and you can still die if you haven't learned how to avoid attacks or properly time attacks with various items. I still can't get all eight targets with the knife for one mini-game.
Someday I'll try a run to beat the game without any additional armour, runes, or improved stats. I'll see how far I can go and that will be rewarding to me as a challenge because I will do better than the me who first started the game not long ago or became too dependent on improved stats.

This game is the opposite of the bullshit platformers like super meat boy that force you down one linear path that you have to be of the utmost reflex precision to succeed. In Spelunky you have the freedom to carve your own path and be as slow and methodical as you wish.

I can not agree with that line about Super Meat Boy at all. Aye it takes good reflexes and often precision to succeed, it still offers plenty of different ways to play and succeed. For a lot of the game, players can take it quite slow and be extra cautious about different segments.
For the entire portion of the game save for Warp Zones and glitched worlds (I forget their specific names), every stage is beatable with all the various characters offered which means numerous different ways to play them. I'm not going to play a stage the exact same way I would as Super Meat Boy if the character I'm using has a charged "push forward" or can float after all.

Now if you don't like it that is perfectly fine, but I've played it and seen it played more ways than I have Super Mario Bros for example. It's a skill based game through and through, in the variety of ways to play it. Except maybe one unlockable character that makes it all too easy, but he is hard to unlock anyroad.

If I only buy one, should I get Far Cry 3 or Dishonored?

Vast majority of people will get more out of and enjoy Dishonored I believe.

However I will say if you get Far Cry 3, I recommend the following things to do for a fun experience.
Find out how to lose the user interfaces, which means all the menus and health and what have you.
Get the bow and arrow as soon as possible.
Be stealthy when possible, use the stone to lure enemies into traps.
Only take out enemy camps when you really need to, otherwise leave as many as possible so the world is constantly filled with patrolling enemies and reinforcements for them can arrive often. It just becomes very empty without them.
Hunt. Hunt not just for improved items, but for the fun of a chase without abusing or spamming bullets and rocket launchers and the like. If you can really get into it, you can get a lot of fun around stalking a tiger and killing it without it ever noticing you, or using a turtle with a mine as a trap for a komodo dragon.
Take a moment to enjoy the visual scenery as you glide around places.

If you get Dishonored. Don't bother or focus too much on Stealth unless that's your go to and most fun type of play style even in games that don't typically offer anything for stealth. The real key here is to use your various powers and abilities for the best style of killing of enemies with set-ups. If you've played Bulletstorm, pretend it's a bit like that and you just can't see score points or anything when you kill enemies. Be creative, have fun, think of different ways to take someone out.

If I am going to play a game like this I want absolutely zero persistence in it (gameplay relevant unlockables, upgrades, etc - that carry across playthroughs). I want a pure arcade experience where the only element that gets better is me. I had written off pretty much all of these types of games since they all seemed to like... not get it (with Rogue Legacy missing the point entirely)? I had assumed Spelunky was in this same group for some reason, upon some research it seems like a pure experience? So I guess it is worth giving it a go to see if it is any good.

While not exactly the "pure experience" you are looking for as there are items you can unlock through specific tasks and just playing such as "more bombs", I think you could still get plenty enjoyment out of Super House Of Dead Ninjas.
It's a game where there are a lot of weapons you can unlock and use, but ultimately and most importantly in the end it's about learning the game and skill, with an endless mode if you so desire. How far and how fast/how long you go is all up to you and what you can do in the game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224820/

It depends entirely on the game for me. I'll try both out for a good 20 to 40 minutes, find out which I feel I get the most out of it and best response and go from there. Rayman Origins and Joe Danger it's analogue stick, Super Meat Boy and Great Giana Sisters it's d-pad, Dynamite Dan and Defy Gravity Extended it's keyboard.

G-Fex

I'm guessing the Infestation: survival stories sales comes from people casting a lot of that particular bad game on twitch.tv

I just noticed the bad reviews at the bottom of the page which make is extra great

It didn't click for me until I mastered the first world and was able to breeze past it every run through. Then I became addicted to it. You actually can unlock shortcuts, though I like to go for the straight shoot. Any progress is pretty much peeled back in layers, you learn more about how the game works every time you play.

I bought so far:
Spleunky (for the fourth time)
Papers Please
State of Decay
Gone Home
The Bridge
Trials Evolution
Papo and Yo (IndieGameStand)
4 Legacy of Kain games(Amazon)
AC4 for PS4(Amazon)

Now just want dailies on Wolf Among Us, Brothers, and Desktop Dungeons.

okayfrog

Banned
Anybody else having problems keeping downloads going on Steam whilst playing a game? Before there'd be a pause/resume button, now there's just "resume" and when I click it, nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom