• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

Shadow Warrior for 9.99? What a fucking steal lol. Everyone needs to buy that.

Why the fuck does Valve keep selling Infestation Stories?

Seriously, this is the scummiest thing they've done and they keep doing it.

It bothers me a bit too. Wish they'd remove it from the store or at least ban it from sale events.

Dr Dogg

Well that's the better half of 3 days for GAF to convince me I need Shadow Warrior in my life (or redundant backlog, same difference).

Caerith

The typical game will start easy and slowly introduce new mechanics until the point where everything is revealed and you are free to play the game. At this point you are "trained" in everything that can be thrown at you and you just have to keep doing it over and over until the game ends.

This applies to a lot of modern games. Your ACs, Batmans, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raiders, whatever. There is no real hump to get over, you don't need to start with skills or struggle to develop them and you are always making progress. I believe this category of games covers "most".

In spelunky or a game like Dark Souls you will fail over and over until you start to "get it". At this point you finally start to make progress.

Does that make no sense or do you still disagree?
No, that makes sense, it's textbook game design. I only think that saying "most" games do it underestimates the games that don't stick to the "how to AAA" textbook.

Im_Special

So this might seem like a weird little request, but I'm in need of the .ico files for the games 10,000,000, Sanctum TD, and Triple Town, which resides in the "\Steam\steam\games" folder. If any of you happen to have one or more of these games installed currently and wouldn't mind copying that file and uploading it somewhere where I could grab it, I'd be grateful. The reason I need them is my client seemed to have ate mine and now these three games don't have icons and my OCD :/, taking any .ico file from the net doesn't work, it needs to be the same size/name as the original, Steam is picky like that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So real talk. I know War Z was all sorts of wrong when it came out.

But what has happened since then? Have they patched/supported it? Is there any fun to be had?

While I believe the dev's general douchebaggery has been somewhat contained, the game still requires additional purchases to continue playing regularly. It's basically Day-Z mod where you pay to respawn, or wait 4 hours until you can respawn for free.

These are the "gold credits" you see bundled with the game on Steam, or you can purchase them directly in-game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got the CS collection for like $7. Not bad.

Now just need Deadly Premonition to drop below $10 and I'm good for a while.

No, that makes sense, it's textbook game design. I only think that saying "most" games do it underestimates the games that don't stick to the "how to AAA" textbook.

Probably right.

Either way it is why I feel an initial negative impression of Spelunky (such as mine) may not be the final one.

While I believe the dev's general douchebaggery has been somewhat contained, the game still requires additional purchases to continue playing regularly. It's basically Day-Z mod where you pay to respawn, or wait 4 hours until you can respawn for free.

Gotcha. Will save the $3 for dayz.

https://twitter.com/_ShadowWarrior/status/406607794809233409

1GyNeIP.png

Hooray!

Fucking amazing! Oh, and BF: Bad Company 2 is $1 on Origion. Of course Battlefield is all about the multiplayer, and most people have moved onto BF4. But I'll try any single player campagin out for a buck. Just ask Trine

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Probably right.

Either way it is why I feel an initial negative impression of Spelunky (such as mine) may not be the final one.

I'm going to give Spelunky another chance with the mindset you guys have laid out for the game. Not making any promises but we'll see what happens. :)

Post of the thread right here. I agree with this 100%

I'll also add that I really appreciate the fact that there are layers that are not immediately obvious but once it all begins to come together it really is pretty incredible what the game accomplishes: random level generation without poor design

It's why once you are good enough you can beat the entire game in 10 minutes. Getting that good though... I'm not sure how many hours it will take me to get to this skill level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fooVdqf7ZZM

This game is the opposite of the bullshit platformers like super meat boy that force you down one linear path that you have to be of the utmost reflex precision to succeed. In Spelunky you have the freedom to carve your own path and be as slow and methodical as you wish.
Super Meat Boy isn't a bullshit platformer either though. Does it require a higher amount of dexterity than your average platformer? Sure, but Meat Boy gradually teaches you how to deal with future challenges you aren't aware of just yet and rarely (if at all) do its levels include anything akin to gimmicky trial-and-error surprises that serve as invisible "HA, YOU FELL FOR IT!" obstacles, like what you'd constantly see in I Wanna Be The Guy. Super Meat Boy never pulls the rug from under your feet like those games do.

Both it and Spelunky are both testaments of incredible design in their respective genre, and their near-perfect controls (despite simple premise) make them increasingly enjoyable the more time you put into honing your individual skill.

That's my experience with both games :lol

I like the randomness of RL more and how there's a lot more options, both good and bad, that could be waiting in each new room. It's sort of exciting in a way to see what is going to happen. With Spelunky it seems like everything is just currency or points. The upgrade tree in RL offers some versatility to the game as well.

Also re: Spelunky. I didn't mean to imply with my earlier oft-repeated statements that it makes it an awful game, it just isn't one I care for. Despite what a multitude of people have stated, I feel that the game was brutally unfair in it's dungeon creation during my hour-long tour. Maybe it gets better - I understand the meaning of "random" and sometimes that means that these things happen. I'll admit I died a large number of times from not knowing what I was doing or understanding the controls, too. Overall this just isn't my cup of tea.
Derrick, given your dislike of games like Tomb Raider and what is known thus far about the next Thief, I'm surprised you're preferring a game that follows the same style of design principles as the aforementioned titles (though not as blatantly) to a certain degree.

Rogue Legacy is a very... artificial game in its perception of difficulty and it ultimately felt quite shallow as a result to me. It heavily relies on XP / Gold grinding as you pointed out, much more so than Binding of Isaac for example (which for me was already pushing it), and its hardships are largely designed around the fact that you simply haven't spent enough time with their carrot-on-a-stick elements. Not because you aren't good yet. Once you get past this hard-coded (and IMO misguided) hurdle, the area's and monsters that were previously cutting you no slack no longer are as daunting as they initially seemed. Granted, Rogue Legacy has a sense of personality with the unique traits and curveballs it throws at you after your previous hero died, but a lot of them are quirky one-offs that you'll quickly start ignoring in favor of a gameplay hook that actually affects your character's abilities. It's not a bad game, but Rogue Legacy unabashedly utilizes some of the cheap tricks that are so common now in the big-budget type of games you aren't fond of.
I used to lurk a lot.
Maybe the devs can get it right with the inevitable sequel, but overall I found it very unrefined conceptually.

Spelunky on the other hand is very methodical and deliberate in the way it presents its underlying mechanics. There is randomness, there are predicaments that appear nigh-on impossible to overcome, it's constantly busting your chops, but seldomly is it due to the game taking things too far or by blindsiding you. Dying is natural for better or for worse like most rogue-likes, but it's not unfair nor does it lack options that you could've taken into consideration if you were more experienced with or more aware of them. Spelunky doesn't really tell you anything; it only alludes to x or y if you look for it in-game, but once you discover them it opens up the possibilities of how to solve a given problem. You nor jshackles know these things (which is only logical) and it'd be a shame if this was spoiled for either of you (especially how to unlock crucial stage secrets), but once it "clicks" you'll start noticing the flexibility / versatility that you feel is missing when compared to Rogue Legacy (albeit handled differently) through various gameplay nuances. It also matters that you manage your resources wisely and your time effectively; another skill-related component that isn't immediatedly obvious and can lead to initial frustration, truth to be told. And to top it off: Spelunky is indiscriminate its ways, meaning that whatever kills you can usually affect the enemy too.

I've spent approximately 100+ hours with Spelunky on-and-off ever since its release on PC, and to this day I still run into situations where the pressure consistently exists; be it due to time restriction the ghost embodies, me barely hanging on by the skin of my teeth due to personal recklessness or due to the level generation being particularly mean-spirited. It's often a tense experience for numerous reasons (even for veterans), but the satisfaction you get out of conquering the game on a well-planned run is why I still keep playing Spelunky and why Rogue Legacy only enjoyed a fraction of my time, comparatively speaking.

If in the end Spelunky still isn't your cup of tea (for either of you), then fair enough. However, give it a second chance if these type of games appeal to (both of) you in the first place.

Grief.exe

Fucking amazing! Oh, and BF: Bad Company 2 is $1 on Origion. Of course Battlefield is all about the multiplayer, and most people have moved onto BF4. But I'll try any single player campagin out for a buck. Just ask Trine

I haven't played the single player, but I've heard the campaign for BC2 is the best in the series.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, given your dislike of games like Tomb Raider and what is known thus far about the next Thief, I'm surprised you're preferring a game that follows the same style of design principles as the aforementioned titles (though not as blatantly) to a certain degree.

I don't really like Rogue Legacy though, I just think it's better than what I tried of Spelunky.

Honestly I wish I could get my money back and buy the Euro Truck DLC for around the same price. I forgot that game had dlc otherwise I would have bought it.

Welp, it's that time again where plenty of suckers will end up (inexplicably) buying War Z and L.A. Noire. I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Honestly I wish I could get my money back and buy the Euro Truck DLC for around the same price. I forgot that game had dlc otherwise I would have bought it.
Aw hell naw.

Duress

Bioshock Infinite keeps tabbing out after a couple of minutes, and freezes. I can't tab back in but I hear the sound. Is there any way around this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BC1 Campaign>BC2. Matter of fact BF2:Modern Combat(PS2,XBOX) campaign>BC1>BC2>>>>>>>BF3>BF4

Opera"NO.NO.NO.NO.NO."Headshake.gif

Hell throw in the GeorgeBluth"What?No.No.No.Nonono.".gif for good measure.

BF2:MC's campaign is supremely BORING.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, the new Steam version of Spelunky is so much better looking and polished than the original game. It looks astounding, and wow did he put a lot of work into the presentation and menus and such.

I mean, it's still the same good old Spelunky, but I don't think I'll ever play the old version again...

It does, even in MP. Hell, BF3 is nothing more than a skin and lamer maps to BC2's MP.

The unlock system was better as well :p

BC2 and 2142 are by far still my favorites. I've honestly thought about getting 2142 again on Origin after losing my old EA account that had a Colonel for 2142 that took forever to rank up.

Hell BC2 even had the badass Vietnam expansion. Which was great since all we get is fifty billion modern setting shooters these days. I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind if the industry went back to WW2. Bring back Brothers of Arms Gearbox.

edit: I know there's Killzone but it never filled my tastes.

Guys if I buy Dishonored GOTY edition do I get the DLC separately or is it lumped with the game. I mean can I get the GOTY edition and keep the DLC and gift the game to a friend?

I already have the base game and just buying the DLC is actually more expensive than buying the GOTY version.

Doomedfool

Guys if I buy Dishonored GOTY edition do I get the DLC separately or is it lumped with the game. I mean can I get the GOTY edition and keep the DLC and gift the game to a friend?

I already have the base game and just buying the DLC is actually more expensive than buying the GOTY version.

It's all lumped. Sorry

Papytendo

A bit late, but congratulations to blazeuk for winning Dishonored GOTY in my mystery raffle between Dishonored and Bad Rats. And an unfortunate congratulations to drizzle who won Bad Rats. A total of 83 participated, 49 of them actually chose the raffle for Dishonored GOTY.

This conversation about Spelunky vs. Rogue Legacy got me to actually grab Spelunky. The idea in Rogue Legacy of powering up the player upon their failure seems like a pretty miserable idea - so I think that people who like that game disliking Spelunky actually improves the odds I may actually enjoy Spelunky.

Caerith

This conversation about Spelunky vs. Rogue Legacy got me to actually grab Spelunky. The idea in Rogue Legacy of powering up upon failure seems like a pretty miserable idea so I think that people who like that game disliking Spelunky actually improves the odds I may enjoy Spelunky.

It's not a "power up upon failure" system, per se.... Give the demo of Rogue Legacy a try before you dismiss it entirely.

It's not a "power up upon failure" system, per se.... Give the demo of Rogue Legacy a try before you dismiss it entirely.

If I am going to play a game like this I want absolutely zero persistence in it (gameplay relevant unlockables, upgrades, etc - that carry across playthroughs). I want a pure arcade experience where the only element that gets better is me. I had written off pretty much all of these types of games since they all seemed to like... not get it (with Rogue Legacy missing the point entirely)? I had assumed Spelunky was in this same group for some reason, upon some research it seems like a pure experience? So I guess it is worth giving it a go to see if it is any good.

rybrad

This conversation about Spelunky vs. Rogue Legacy got me to actually grab Spelunky. The idea in Rogue Legacy of powering up the player upon their failure seems like a pretty miserable idea - so I think that people who like that game disliking Spelunky actually improves the odds I may actually enjoy Spelunky.
Rogue Legacy is great but until you get to NG++ the skill requirement is really low. Spelunky on the other hand requires a great deal of skill to master as you never get any kind of "upgrades" to help you out. Sure, RNG can definitely be a factor, but once you are good at Spelunky, you are looking at a 90% success rate (even when beating it the hard way) regardless of what the game throws at you because of the skills you have acquired. It isn't just twitch skills either, decision making is a huge part of a successful run and the nuances of the process are what make it great.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Opera"NO.NO.NO.NO.NO."Headshake.gif

Hell throw in the GeorgeBluth"What?No.No.No.Nonono.".gif for good measure.

BF2:MC's campaign is supremely BORING.

I enjoyed it more than the POS campaigns they're putting out now with BF3 and 4. Lesbihonest that none of the BF campaigns are really all that, but BF2:MC and BC1 are the best campaigns they made so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom