• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

If I am going to play a game like this I want absolutely zero persistence in it (gameplay relevant unlockables, upgrades, etc - that carry across playthroughs). I want a pure arcade experience where the only element that gets better is me. I had written off pretty much all of these types of games since they all seemed to like... not get it (with Rogue Legacy missing the point entirely)? I had assumed Spelunky was in this same group for some reason, upon some research it seems like a pure experience? So I guess it is worth giving it a go to see if it is any good.

Give Volgarr a try as well. Sounds like its right up your alley.

Haunted

If I am going to play a game like this I want absolutely zero persistence in it (gameplay relevant unlockables, upgrades, etc - that carry across playthroughs). I want a pure arcade experience where the only element that gets better is me. I had written off pretty much all of these types of games since they all seemed to like... not get it (with Rogue Legacy missing the point entirely)? I had assumed Spelunky was in this same group for some reason, upon some research it seems like a pure experience? So I guess it is worth giving it a go to see if it is any good.
Spelunky is the zero persistence game you're looking for.

Also Teleglitch. Hack, Slash, Loot. Dungeons of Dredmor.

what game is Spelunky like?
In pure gameplay mechanics: any competent, straightforward 2D platformer. In overall structure: roguelikes (randomised levels, no persistence between runs).

Depends on if it is your style of game. I know some people that like tons of different shooters, but the aiming system in Counter Strike turns them off.

I see. tbh, I would buy it if I have friends to play with. It's much more fun to play with friends. I don't think I'm going to drop the ball on this one.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

The only unlockables are character skins with no effect on gameplay. All you carry from one run to the next is your knowledge.

edit: Oh, I completely forgot, there are shortcuts. But don't use the shortcuts anyway so it doesn't matter.

Haunted

Can someone give me tips on hooking up a controller to play Bioshock Infinite?

If so, I'll totally get this $10 deal.
It's a complicated three-step process.

1) Buy a wired 360 controller.
2) Plug it into a USB port.
3) Play Bioshock Infinite.

;) If you already have some wireless 360 controllers lying around from your actual console, there's no need to buy a new controller. Simply using a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows will make them PC compatible.

Spelunky is what you're looking for.

If you want something (vaguely) similar but with more emphasis on combat and a faster pace, Super House of Dead Ninja's.

Costia

There is a wireless 360 controller for the PC as well. It's the same one as the regular wireless but you get an RF dongle in the package that connects to the PC.
SO if you buy on of those you can use any wireless 360 controller with your PC.
Edit: apparently you can buy the reciever separately

Dambrosi

Banned
Hmm, I'd say Risk Of Rain sounds like just your cup of tea. It's 20% off right now, but it only came out a couple of weeks ago, and it might have a Flash Sale, so keep a look out.

In fact, I did a rather lengthy write-up on the game in the last Steam OT. Check it out.

DasFool

I think the perfect game for you is Super Meat Boy. Believe it was $3 yesterday.

It has some of the greatest skill satisfaction I've seen in a game. As you progress through the game, you'll learn its nuances and become a damn expert. Once you do you can go one shot a level that you failed for over an hour. It's an amazing feeling.

So I'll ask again: what's your recomendation to play Spelunky, K+M or controller?
Controller for me.

Not sure how well keyboard compares, but I assume it doesn't have a horrible control scheme considering its PC origins. So... try both and see which you prefer if possible.

rybrad

Hmm, I'd say Risk Of Rain sounds like just your cup of tea. It's 20% off right now, but it only came out a couple of weeks ago, and it might have a Flash Sale, so keep a look out.

in fact, I did a rather lengthy write-up on the game in the last Steam OT. Check it out.
Risk of Rain has unlockables that make the game significantly easier. With everything unlocked I have an almost 100% success rate on Monsoon difficulty. The game is also heavily front loaded on difficulty so much that if you make it past the 3rd level you can basically face tank mobs because of all the drops.
So I'll ask again: what's your recomendation to play Spelunky, K+M or controller?
Controller.

Caerith

Ah, then yeah, you probably want Spelunky. Rogue Legacy isn't that-- it isn't "missing the point," because that's not what it tries to be.

So this might seem like a weird little request, but I'm in need of the .ico files for the games 10,000,000, Sanctum TD, and Triple Town, which resides in the "\Steam\steam\games" folder. If any of you happen to have one or more of these games installed currently and wouldn't mind copying that file and uploading it somewhere where I could grab it, I'd be grateful. The reason I need them is my client seemed to have ate mine and now these three games don't have icons and my OCD :/, taking any .ico file from the net doesn't work, it needs to be the same size/name as the original, Steam is picky like that.

I had a look in my directory for them, I don't have 10mil, but I couldn't find them. The icons show up on the client but when I try to place a shortcut on the desktop the icons are just blank white rectangles for Triple Town and Sanctum TD. Strangely enough the icons for other games that have an icon in the directory display fine in shortcuts. Maybe something is different with those 3 games. Are they stored somewhere else maybe?

If you have a 360 controller, plug it in. You may have to switch to 'controller' in the options menu, but that's it.
It's a complicated three-step process.

1) Buy a wired 360 controller.
2) Plug it into a USB port.
3) Play Bioshock Infinite.

;) If you already have some wireless 360 controllers lying around from your actual console, there's no need to buy a new controller. Simply using a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows will make them PC compatible.
Thanks!

Not all games have full controller support, didn't realize the BS games do. 8)

Do tell, what exactly is Rogue Legacy trying to be?

I'm not sure what answer you are after there, but hold on a second because you do get a lot better at Rogue Legacy as you play.

For example the bosses are initially very hard. Sure, you can upgrade your character to brute force them, however you can also develop a pattern that allows you to beat them without ever getting hit.

If anything the magic of Rogue Legacy is that it allows you to advance in both directions simultaneously. You will keep getting better at taking out the enemies, but you also get stronger meaning the progression isn't as slow.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I play it with controller, but I think playing platformers with a keyboard is the sort of thing a crazy person does.

That said, a lot of people play with keyboard.

I got 1hr left on my Assassin's Creed 3 download. Hopefully the game isn't too much of a slow start. I don't mind a slow start like Tales of Graces F that takes at least 2hrs to kick off, but FF13 8hr slow start is when I draw the line.

Hopefully it's not the latter.

meat-boy-control.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I got 1hr left on my Assassin's Creed 3 download. Hopefully the game isn't too much of a slow start. I don't mind a slow start like Tales of Graces F that takes at least 2hrs to kick off, but FF13 8hr slow start is when I draw the line.

oh boy are you in for a treat...

Joke post, right?

I trying to think of the nicest way as possible to break it to you.

The tutorial and hand holding will end eventually!

Dambrosi

Banned
Risk of Rain has unlockables that make the game significantly easier. With everything unlocked I have an almost 100% success rate on Monsoon difficulty. The game is also heavily front loaded on difficulty so much that if you make it past the 3rd level you can basically face tank mobs because of all the drops.
Controller.
That's all true, except that you still start the game "naked", as it were - you still have to buy your pickups, and what pickups are available is still random. As such, surviving the first and second levels really is up to your own skill and judgment.

As for me, I'm such a scrub that I can't get past the second level yet. Hell, I only just unlocked the dude with the riot shield, so I have a ways to go yet.

Derrick01

Banned
dishonored and bioshock?

EDIT: Never mind i saw it is euro truck and state of decay. So Derrick u didnt like Dishonored?????? I can understand some people might not like infinite though...

Not really, it's one of my biggest disappointments of the generation considering how much I hyped it up on here, trying to get people to pay attention to it for months. I had to apologize for leading people astray with my lapse in judgement, I felt bad about it for a while. It was just another action game masquerading as a stealth title with stealth-lite mechanics.

Haunted

Thanks!

Not all games have full controller support, didn't realize the BS games do. 8)
You're actually absolutely right to ask, I forgot how horrible the earlier Bioshock games were with their - at best - perfunctory controller support. Terrible memories being repressed etc etc

Luckily, they've learned their lesson and Bioshock Infinite supports the controller correctly right out of the gate (plug and play + dynamically changing in-game prompts).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Things get a little more complicated in co-op in Risk of Rain, since no one person gets a lot of pickups each individual is less powerful so strategy and having the group cohesively use their skills together is an absolute must.

It's probably one of my favorite games this year thanks to the co-op even though the single player stands up pretty well through multiple playthroughs.

jwtsonga

on the usbject of controllers: in platformers does anyone use the analogue stick instead of the DPAD?? Played FEZ recently and for some reason i felt the analogie stick was better than the DPAD (ps3 controller on PC)

on the usbject of controllers: in platformers does anyone use the analogue stick instead of the DPAD?? Played FEZ recently and for some reason i felt the analogie stick was better than the DPAD (ps3 controller on PC)

Analog is always better for platformers for me. Even though it may not be as accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom