• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

Any thoughts on Splinter Cell at that price? Really like the first three, less keen on the others. Conviction was alright and Blacklist seems to be better than that, just worried if the price might still be a little steep.

Kinguin.net has it for 15$, so...no.

Is serious Sam 3 any good?

I'd recommend HD Second Encounter over this.
a) it's cheaper
b) contains levels from HD First Encounter
c) much more fun
d) doesn't have any problems with connecting to other players and hosting the game like the third one has.

Card Boy

Banned
Will wait for Christmas sale to see if they drop slightly lower.

tumblr_m49gcu1rcs1qdezf9o1_500.gif

My way is 75% off unless i must have it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
He probably gets free booster packs daily, which means free games pretty much daily when you sell them.

I'm level 30 and I probably get at least a booster pack a week and they usually sell for between $1-$3.

It's not just about e-peen, it actually pays off in the long run to have a higher Steam rating. Since August, I've probably gotten over a dozen booster packs.

It doesn't pay off and the games aren't free either, in the sense that you'll never make up the money you spent to get to that high of a level. Level ~160 takes around 1,400 badge crafts, including a lot of foils. You're looking at thousands of dollars and the money you could have made selling the cards instead.

And the drop rate doesn't increase as much as you think; I'm at level 111 and I get two, maybe three booster packs per week if I'm lucky. That's with 270 games eligible (70 I still need to idle), and most booster packs you're lucky if you make 50 cents from selling the cards. You're looking at a decade of booster packs daily to break even on level 150+. We could discuss emoticons and background rewards, but as 99% of them are sitting at 3 cents (1 cent profit), they're more of a nuisance in the inventory than relevant.

At level 111 my advice to anyone is to get to whatever level gets you the showcases you want for your profile (usually 20/30 max since most showcases suck) and then sell all your cards. Now that will net you some free games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jesus Christ, my connection is shit and Far Cry 3 is requiring me to update something called "Uplay" (?) three times in order to log in. Isn't Steam itself DRM? Why the fuck do I need to do this shit? Will I have to log in through there every time play the game?

Yes. Welcome to Ubisoft titles.

Arthea

cards, levels, booster packs

But but... I want those levels! I'm one of those people that can't seem to get booster packs drop, I got 5 total and I'm at lvl 30 now I have somewhere around 100 eligible games. So 3 booster packs a week seems like dream to me, sweet dream
no way I'll ever get to 100 level, I'm done with this costly metagame

Tizoc

Sonic Racing Transformed is on sale on GMG.com, grab it NOW if you don't have the game yet for whatever idiotic reason.
This would be a great party game to play during get togethers.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Any thoughts on Splinter Cell at that price? Really like the first three, less keen on the others. Conviction was alright and Blacklist seems to be better than that, just worried if the price might still be a little steep.

Check the BST thread, I've seen spare Blacklist codes from the NVidia promo go for as low as $12. $30 is too high!

Nabs

Sonic Racing Transformed is on sale on GMG.com, grab it NOW if you don't have the game yet for whatever idiotic reason.

It's going to be in a Humble Charity Bundle very soon.

Card Boy

Banned

is this an idiotic reason for you?

Yogscast Humble Bundle
  • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Chivalry
  • Shank 2
  • Torchlight
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars

Arthea

It was on HB just a while ago, don't you know it?

bad joke, I know. I'm one of victims, so it could be forgiven

nbthedude

It doesn't pay off and the games aren't free either, in the sense that you'll never make up the money you spent to get to that high of a level. Level ~160 takes around 1,400 badge crafts, including a lot of foils. You're looking at thousands of dollars and the money you could have made selling the cards instead.

And the drop rate doesn't increase as much as you think; I'm at level 111 and I get two, maybe three booster packs per week if I'm lucky. That's with 270 games eligible (70 I still need to idle), and most booster packs you're lucky if you make 50 cents from selling the cards. You're looking at a decade of booster packs daily to break even on level 150+. We could discuss emoticons and background rewards, but as 99% of them are sitting at 3 cents (1 cent profit), they're more of a nuisance in the inventory than relevant.

At level 111 my advice to anyone is to get to whatever level gets you the showcases you want for your profile (usually 20/30 max since most showcases suck) and then sell all your cards. Now that will net you some free games.

I didn't say there wasn't a point of dimishing returns. I don't know exactly what the sweet spot is, but I know I didn't spend a whole lot of money. I mainly traded friends for cards. I think I maybe bought a total of perhaps $10 or so of cards to get to level 30 and I definitely have made more than that in the booster packs I've gotten.

thetechkid

You don't want to use motionjoy, use an xinput wrapper.

There is a thread on GAF that will walk you through the process.

Best thread to ask by the way. All the people who hang out in the normal Steam/PC gaming thread are here while that thread is closed for the sale.

Installed the xinput wrapper and steam see the controller in big picture mode, I start SR3 and I can skip the intro vids but when I get to the main menu I still can't do a single thing with the controller.

Arthea

no, on ps3, the game look really good and I hear great comment here on GAF but the price is still high, and TLR is only 2,99 on amazon

TLR is really great game: glorious battle system, many characters, some even good and not that bad story also it's really long if you do optional stuff and so so cheap, that it's impossible not to get it.

So I picked up Dark Souls the other day. Two quick questions:

1. Is there anyway to play the game without using GFWL?
2. My laptop monitor's max resolution is 1600x900, should I still use the DSiFix and is that resolution supported in the fix?

Jesus Christ, my connection is shit and Far Cry 3 is requiring me to update something called "Uplay" (?) three times in order to log in. Isn't Steam itself DRM? Why the fuck do I need to do this shit? Will I have to log in through there every time play the game?

welcome to Uplay, bitch! Where U are being played!

yeah, it sucks.

Tizoc

is this an idiotic reason for you?

Yogscast Humble Bundle
  • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Chivalry
  • Shank 2
  • Torchlight
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars

Totally forgot about that bundle.
...but let's assume it doesn't exist, then whatever reason you had for not having it by now is idiotic (no offense).

nbthedude

I'm level 21 and got a booster pack last week - my first in probably two months. According to EnhancedSteam, I have 68 eligible games. What, if any, pattern have you noticed with the games you get booster packs for? I'm not clear on whether a crafted badge creates booster packs for other Steam users for that same game, or if it just spawns booster packs in general.

The games I get cards for are entirely random but, as I'm sure you know, you do have to have gotten all your drops from that particular game to be eligible for boosters for that game.

So far I've gotten booster packs for:

Resident Evil 6
XCOM
Gone Home
Trine 2
Killing Floor
Brutal Legend
Skyrim
Terraria
Half Life 2
McPixel

And that's just in the last month looking at my sales.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I didn't say there wasn't a point of dimishing returns. I don't know exactly what the sweet spot is, but I know I didn't spend a whole lot of money. I mainly traded friends for cards. I think I maybe bought a total of perhaps $10 or so of cards to get to level 30 and I definitely have made more than that in the booster packs I've gotten.

At 20-30 you can still come out ahead fairly easily with all the games there are with cards now; my post was about the level 160 guy you said was getting free games. At level 100+ one is never going to break even.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just must not be fortunate on my Booster Packs. I am level 40 and I get a maybe one, if I'm lucky 2, Booster Packs per month.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Does it matter if you're just in the title screen or do you have to be in the game to get them to drop?

With many games you don't even have to be in the title screen. I'm on a weak laptop at the moment and I can't run most of the games in my library so I'll just idle on the configuration window or the "Your computer is shit and can't run this game" pop-up. As long as your status is "in game" you'll get cards.

I've recieved booster packs upon levelling up and / or crafting badges myself, so I think your own activity is probably the bigger factor in how they are distributed.

not that it should matter, in the end it's just another piramid scheme anyway. :p

Arthea

I get one every week. Level 31. 91 games eligible for booster packs

Just got an Arkham Asylum one.

you guys have to rub it in, don't you?
just kidding

I've recieved booster packs upon levelling up and / or crafting badges myself, so I think your own activity is probably the bigger factor in how they are distributed.

not that it should matter, in the end it's just another piramid scheme anyway. :p

That's exactly how it is for me! I get booster packs only when I buy cards and craft badges. But many people in steam thread don't have this problem. So, it's probably just random being lucky or unlucky thingie.

Altazor

Caved in. Bought The Witcher 2 (I already had it outside of Steam but DAT PRICE was soooooo good) and... the three Max Paynes. MP3's price was too fucking good to avoid. And considering I haven't played the first two yet (I know, I know) I decided to buy them too. So yeah.

Feels good man.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of levels: How the fuck do you even raise those? By making cards little emblem thingies or something?

JSoup

Banned
Speaking of levels: How the fuck do you even raise those? By making cards little emblem thingies or something?

Yep, crafting badges. You also get experience points for every year you're on Steam and when you reach library milestones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom