• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Speaking of levels: How the fuck do you even raise those? By making cards little emblem thingies or something?

yup, by buying missing cards and crafting badges, one badge is 100 xp and every badge has 5 lvls, so for one game and lots of cards you can get 500xp.

Tesseract

Banned
Probably not the best thread to ask but couldn't find anywhere better so is anyone else having problems with using DS3/Motionjoy on Steam? Been trying to finish up SR3, so I could start Witcher 1/2 which I just got today, but the game after the intro vids doesn't recognize the controller anymore.

use betterds3

Zia

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Closure -- MB-F262E107CA8A4927 - Taken by Eanan
SPAZ -- MB-F3FDB59EAEABB9AF - Taken by kudoboi
SpaceChem -- MB-D381F2AC628AEF7B - Taken by Spring-Loaded
Dungeon Defenders -- MB-9DD90B2A6C30731D - Taken by topyy

Caerith

Installed the xinput wrapper and steam see the controller in big picture mode, I start SR3 and I can skip the intro vids but when I get to the main menu I still can't do a single thing with the controller.
Being able to navigate BPM doesn't say much. Try other games that a gamepad works with to see if it's a problem with SR3 or a problem with your setup?

I've been using the (Scarlet Crush) xinput wrapper for a while now and remember I had similar issues when I first started using it, but it's been flawless ever since. I don't remember the details though, sorry.

MNC

Dont use motioninjoy. Please search neogaf for "replacement for motionjoy" or whatever (should come up) and use the software recommended in there.

Is sonic allstar a seperate key in the yoggscast bundle?

Grief.exe

It doesn't pay off and the games aren't free either, in the sense that you'll never make up the money you spent to get to that high of a level. Level ~160 takes around 1,400 badge crafts, including a lot of foils. You're looking at thousands of dollars and the money you could have made selling the cards instead.

And the drop rate doesn't increase as much as you think; I'm at level 111 and I get two, maybe three booster packs per week if I'm lucky. That's with 270 games eligible (70 I still need to idle), and most booster packs you're lucky if you make 50 cents from selling the cards. You're looking at a decade of booster packs daily to break even on level 150+. We could discuss emoticons and background rewards, but as 99% of them are sitting at 3 cents (1 cent profit), they're more of a nuisance in the inventory than relevant.

At level 111 my advice to anyone is to get to whatever level gets you the showcases you want for your profile (usually 20/30 max since most showcases suck) and then sell all your cards. Now that will net you some free games.

I was thinking the same thing when he said that, but didn't want to dash his dreams with math.

I feel so bad that I bought L.A. Noire for my sister to play on her laptop. I mostly bought it for her because she loves detective-like games, and her laptop meets the exact minimum requirements for it.

I started the game up for her and it ran very slowly in the open world. I tried a few fixes and no matter what, it still ran slow. I only spent a $1 on it so I don't feel cheated or anything, but still disappointed. Sometimes I forget that out of all the games that shouldn't run on a low end PC, open world games are at the top of the list.

At least she can still play it on my PS3, I just wanted to try and give her own copy of it.

Derrick01

Banned
I bought that Euro Truck DLC because fuck it why not? But does anyone who has it know exactly how much it adds in the way of new and unique areas to drive in? I don't really care about the actual cities since cities in that game are about the size of an American neighborhood, I just want some new sights to see and roads to travel on with that awesome internet radio.

thetechkid

use betterds3

I'll look into it.

Being able to navigate BPM doesn't say much. Try other games that a gamepad works with to see if it's a problem with SR3 or a problem with your setup?

I've been using the (Scarlet Crush) xinput wrapper for a while now and remember I had similar issues when I first started using it, but it's been flawless ever since. I don't remember the details though, sorry.

Tried it with L4D2 as it was the only other game I have installed at the moment and it ran fine with the controller. I had been using the DS3 to play through SR3 just last month without a problem too.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I feel so bad that I bought L.A. Noire for my sister to play on her laptop. I mostly bought it for her because she loves detective-like games, and her laptop meets the exact minimum requirements for it.

I started the game up for her and it ran very slowly in the open world. I tried a few fixes and no matter what, it still ran slow. I only spent a $1 on it so I don't feel cheated or anything, but still disappointed. Sometimes I forget that out of all the games that shouldn't run on a low end PC, open world games are at the top of the list.

At least she can still play it on my PS3, I just wanted to try and give her own copy of it.

lower the resolution?

Grief.exe

The disc drive on my new ps3 is so loud. I haven't even put physical media in my buids in years, but I would not haves cheaped out to that extent.

Also, loading screens. What are these? Why do they take so long?

Shambles

Bought Spelunky since everyone raved about it. Not sure why, it seems a bit shit to me. It's basically just super meat boy but without any persistence. Feels like a big randomly generated grind fest without the actually getting stuff for grinding part.

nbthedude

I am categorically boycotting Forced for their stupid bullshit sob story, which is either a) false or b) a sign that these people should never be trusted with money.

Slightly more on point: it's apparently quite bad in single player, being built as a coop game from the ground up.

So what is the false part or the part that makes you think they shouldn't be trusted with money? I haven't played it yet but the game has a pretty high Metacritic.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Bought Spelunky since everyone raved about it. Not sure why, it seems a bit shit to me. It's basically just super meat boy but without any persistence. Feels like a big randomly generated grind fest without the actually getting stuff for grinding part.

I haven't played Spelunky, but I know you're the third person I've seen in this thread who had negative initial impressions, people tell them to keep at it, and at least one of them did a 180 on their opinion of the game, so I am going to suggest to keep at it as that's what was said previously.

masterkajo

Played the new Batman for a bit. And yep, more of the same. Not necessarily bad, but somehow a bit of innovation is missing, so far at least. Though I realy liked the first "boss fight". These are a highlight as far as I know and so far I am quite impressed.

The only really negative part so far is Batman's voice. I liked the old voice actor better and don't like my Batman to sound like a 15th century Italian.

I am categorically boycotting Forced for their stupid bullshit sob story, which is either a) false or b) a sign that these people should never be trusted with money.

Slightly more on point: it's apparently quite bad in single player, being built as a coop game from the ground up.

From the little I've played of Forced, I wasn't a big fan. It's not bad, there are just plenty of better games to spend your time on.

mannerbot

It's the thinking man's platformer. If you never learn from your mistakes and expect to succeed while randomly jumping around, sure, it can feel like that. Stick with it and maybe try approaching it with a different mindset that respects the game's ability to instantly kill you at any point if you make a dumb move. It's a very difficult game, but rarely unfair.

If your complaints weren't about the difficulty and dying all the time in the first levels, and more about a lack of content, then you simply haven't played enough/aren't yet good enough to see the cool stuff. Seriously, there are a ton of secrets to uncover and the game will reward you for mastering it.

If you need tips there are plenty of helpful posts in the various Spelunky threads, or if you have specific questions you can just ask here and I'd be happy to help.

Turfster

So what is the false part or the part that makes you think they shouldn't be trusted with money? I haven't played it yet but the game has a pretty high Metacritic.

So many things.
How do you squat in a school/university for over half a year without someone noticing something? 8 people living in a room is going to stink to high heaven.
No, scratch that. Why the fuck would you ever do this in the first place?
Then they did a kickstarter for 40k. For a team of what, 15ish people judging by the picture?
That's nothing, unless you're just trying to round off the game within a few months. It's definitely not enough for years.
Then we come to the 200k bank loan. What bank gives people that have nothing a loan in these times? And if that was 'enough for an extra 4 months', how long was the kickstarter money supposed to last?

Derrick01

Banned
Played the new Batman for a bit. And yep, more of the same. Not necessarily bad, but somehow a bit of innovation is missing, so far at least. Though I realy liked the first "boss fight". These are a highlight as far as I know and so far I am quite impressed.

The only really negative part so far is Batman's voice. I liked the old voice actor better and don't like my Batman to sound like a 15th century Italian.

See I don't get the whole voice thing. I would have had no idea the actor played Ezio if it wasn't for gaf as he sounded nothing like him. He sounded like the perfect Batman to me, able to show emotion in his voice and sound like a badass but without going too far like Bale did and sound like he's gargling rocks in his throat. He definitely did a much better job than Conroy did in the first 2 games. He comes off like a robot in those games.

2 day of contagion and I am loving it. The randomization is pretty well done. At one point I was certain the path to get to the basement was at a path to get the roof and then I looked at it and I was wrong. The stairs weren't even there.

It is like a survival version of l4d. Heals are very rare. Ammo is very limited. And the way you get through the map is different each time. Also, not all weapons let you use a flash light which is sorely needed in many spots.

I've also come around on my opinion of being a zombie. While it could be improved, you generally can get around fine.

Alastor3

So many things.
How do you squat in a school/university for over half a year without someone noticing something? 8 people living in a room is going to stink to high heaven.
No, scratch that. Why the fuck would you ever do this in the first place?
Then they did a kickstarter for 40k. For a team of what, 15ish people judging by the picture?
That's nothing, unless you're just trying to round off the game within a few months. It's definitely not enough for years.
Then we come to the 200k bank loan. What bank gives people that have nothing a loan in these times? And if that was 'enough for an extra 4 months', how long was the kickstarter money supposed to last?

The game look broken anyway with the light sphere thingy that you need to throw again and again to complet puzzle

Copons

Totally unrelated to Steam Sale (but at least it's in the Humble Weekly).

I've tried Shatter for 30 mins just to see what Salsa was all about during Summer Sale.
And I must say I'm impressed! Also, I'm impressed by the totally newbz low scores showed by Salsa in the leaderboards! 3DS is killing your skillz man!

Main problem right now is that I had to play it at super low volume cause my gf is watching Downton Abbey. Shatter with British speech all over the place: an experience I must suggest to you all.

lower the resolution?

I tried that. I lowered the graphics to the lowest settings, lowered the resolution to the lowest, and even tried windowing it. I also tried a few fixes using the launch options on the LA Noire launch window. Still only get about 20fps.

I guess the game is just too demanding.

Necrovex

See I don't get the whole voice thing. I would have had no idea the actor played Ezio if it wasn't for gaf as he sounded nothing like him. He sounded like the perfect Batman to me, able to show emotion in his voice and sound like a badass but without going too far like Bale did and sound like he's gargling rocks in his throat. He definitely did a much better job than Conroy did in the first 2 games. He comes off like a robot in those games.

I fully agree with you. I had no problems with Batman's voice in this game. He was perfect. Troy Baker also did a phenomenal performance with Joker.

I liked Arkham Origin a bit more than City. I am not sure if I liked it more than Asylum though. I'll have to reflect on it more.

Cimarron

Are the borderlands and dead Island co-op community still going strong? If they are I may have to double dip I already own both on console.

Lain

Totally unrelated to Steam Sale (but at least it's in the Humble Weekly).

I've tried Shatter for 30 mins just to see what Salsa was all about during Summer Sale.
And I must say I'm impressed! Also, I'm impressed by the totally newbz low scores showed by Salsa in the leaderboards! 3DS is killing your skillz man!

Main problem right now is that I had to play it at super low volume cause my gf is watching Downton Abbey. Shatter with British speech all over the place: an experience I must suggest to you all.

That's sad man, the OST is fucking amazing and makes the game a better experience.

fantomena

The story is actually true. The Norwegian web based video game show called LEVEL UP on VG.no interviewed the guys behind the studio and they told their story.

It's on Norwegian, but the web show episode is this one: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/73679/l...lefield-draugen-the-stanley-parable-spillexpo

Woorloog

Banned
I tried that. I lowered the graphics to the lowest settings, lowered the resolution to the lowest, and even tried windowing it. I also tried a few fixes using the launch options on the LA Noire launch window. Still only get about 20fps.

I guess the game is just too demanding.

Make sure the game uses correct graphics card. If it is nVidia/Intel laptop, it may be using integrated instead of actual one. Dunno about this if it is AMD/Radeon or something else.

EDIT and usually min requirements means the game can be run, not that it is actually playable (30+fps).
EDIT also make sure drivers are up to date. Never hurts.

Conroy actually voiced a robot batman in the animated series and it was more convincing than most of his work in AA/AC.

The only other game I've played that had this new voice actor was RE5 and Batman sounds nothing like Chris. The new guy really did a good job.

masterkajo

Yeah, I guess my problem with the voice actor is that he played Ezio and I hated the Assassin's Creed games... but still kept giving them a chance. I quit after Revelations. I didn't even know that he was the voice actor. Not until I started the game. I immediately recognized his voice. Probably because the one thing I hated more than Assassin's Creed was Ezio. Still, the more I play the more I like his voice. Hope I can get rid of the Ezio assosiation alltogether. We'll see.

Make sure the game uses correct graphics card. If it is nVidia/Intel laptop, it may be using integrated instead of actual one. Dunno about this if it is AMD/Radeon or something else.

EDIT and usually min requirements means the game can be run, not that it is actually playable (30+fps).
EDIT also make sure drivers are up to date. Never hurts.

I didn't know that.
Also her laptop has an Intel HD Family Chipset so I guess that's the problem.

Lain

Forced looks interesting to me, but I don't know... I don't think I'll play it anytime soon, so gonna pass on it. Will have to wait on Shadowrun too. Reading that you can only save at the start of a chapter means I can wait for when they fix that.

I had to drain my prepaid card as it was expiring today so I bought that Flying Bundle to get some Hackers DLC, but some of you can have these 2 things I don't need.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-46F945D5BBB2CCFD - Taken by AScotAbroad. 2 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-87A2D5F0B232967A - Taken by Fuu. 2 entrants total.

t1385851048z1.png

cebri.one

So happy to have bought CS:GO, i've been playing since the early betas and i thought this would be more of the same, but they manage to create a totally fresh game, love the feel of the shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom